The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread - Page 296 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #8851 of 8867 Old 11-19-2014, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The projector is perfectly level. I am using some lens shift. I'll try to capture the issue with my camera and post it up to see if it's normal or not. I really don't want to deal with shipping this out and getting another projector with issues, which seems to be par for the course with Epson.

Edit: Called Epson, and they're sending me another unit. Gearing up to start the game, but hopefully the new unit performs better than my current unit. The red hazy tint is only viewable on a white image, and isn't really noticeable in movies. Hopefully I'm not making a mountain out of a mole hole here. I just want a projector without issues, even if this is nit picky.

Pioneer Elite 111FD
Pioneer 4280HD
Pioneer VSX-1021K
PS3 Slim

My setup

Last edited by robertw11; 11-19-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8852 of 8867 Old 11-19-2014, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertw11 View Post
The projector is perfectly level. I am using some lens shift. I'll try to capture the issue with my camera and post it up to see if it's normal or not. I really don't want to deal with shipping this out and getting another projector with issues, which seems to be par for the course with Epson.

Edit: Called Epson, and they're sending me another unit. Gearing up to start the game, but hopefully the new unit performs better than my current unit. The red hazy tint is only viewable on a white image, and isn't really noticeable in movies. Hopefully I'm not making a mountain out of a mole hole here. I just want a projector without issues, even if this is nit picky.

You may find the odd horror story every once in awhile, but I can say that Epson's customer service the finest I've ever experience from any company in my entire life. And I'm not exaggerating. For me, they have been exemplary.
post #8853 of 8867 Old 11-20-2014, 09:45 AM

We'll see. I've read enough about people getting replacements with their own issues, and going through 3-4 projectors before one is acceptable enough to keep. I should have bought new, and not factory refurbished.

Pioneer Elite 111FD
Pioneer 4280HD
Pioneer VSX-1021K
PS3 Slim

My setup
post #8854 of 8867 Old 11-20-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertw11 View Post
We'll see. I've read enough about people getting replacements with their own issues, and going through 3-4 projectors before one is acceptable enough to keep. I should have bought new, and not factory refurbished.

Yes, but what you don't read are the numerous people who get one replacement and are completely satisfied. These are the people who don't comment. The only ones in general who take the time to comment on their experiences are the ones who had bad experiences.

You always hear about the plane crash that kills 200 people but you hear nothing about the thousands of flights that occur every day without incident.

In any case, what other company with keep sending you projectors until you get one you're happy with? Without costing you a dime? Shipping a 20 lb PJ back and forth ain't cheap.
post #8855 of 8867 Old 11-20-2014, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The only thing I've noticed with my 8345 is when I'm using my computer I get what appears to be snowflake like effects just on the lower left hand side.
post #8856 of 8867 Old 11-21-2014, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
out of focus- throw distance

I have a almost 3 yr old 8350, with just over 1000 hrs on bulb, been using a 100" screen with a 13' 4'" throw with good results, I recently thought picture was getting a little dull/fuzzy, then I upgrades to an elite 120" screen, now I think the problem is a little worse, projector central pro calculator says my 13' 4" throw is not optimal, they recommend 16' 1", so looking for opinions, is my fuzzy dull problem the projector being to close? or is it my bulb output, or likely both? thanks in advance
post #8857 of 8867 Old 11-21-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
Yes, but what you don't read are the numerous people who get one replacement and are completely satisfied. These are the people who don't comment. The only ones in general who take the time to comment on their experiences are the ones who had bad experiences.

You always hear about the plane crash that kills 200 people but you hear nothing about the thousands of flights that occur every day without incident.

In any case, what other company with keep sending you projectors until you get one you're happy with? Without costing you a dime? Shipping a 20 lb PJ back and forth ain't cheap.
I like your optimism. We'll see how this replacement fares.

Pioneer Elite 111FD
Pioneer 4280HD
Pioneer VSX-1021K
PS3 Slim

My setup
post #8858 of 8867 Old 11-22-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskyman View Post
I have a almost 3 yr old 8350, with just over 1000 hrs on bulb, been using a 100" screen with a 13' 4'" throw with good results, I recently thought picture was getting a little dull/fuzzy, then I upgrades to an elite 120" screen, now I think the problem is a little worse, projector central pro calculator says my 13' 4" throw is not optimal, they recommend 16' 1", so looking for opinions, is my fuzzy dull problem the projector being to close? or is it my bulb output, or likely both? thanks in advance
We'll I got my answer, the bulb quit today, 975 hours but almost 3 yrs old
post #8859 of 8867 Old 11-22-2014, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskyman View Post
We'll I got my answer, the bulb quit today, 975 hours but almost 3 yrs old
can you let us know about the distance vs. the new bulb when you get it
sounds like the distance is probably not an issue if the bulb was going?

got an eta on the new one?
post #8860 of 8867 Old 11-23-2014, 06:36 AM

i ordered a premium power replacement, supposed to be in by wednesday,
post #8861 of 8867 Old 11-23-2014, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Let me preface this by saying I'm an idiot. I didn't have a screensaver on my HTPC and somehow my projector got left on for days on the movie select screen (on the movie 2 Guns). I tried leaving it off for 2 days and it got a little better but not much.

I attached a pic below.

My guess is it burned the image into the polarizer since it was on for so long.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I am way outside of warranty. Epson still might be my safest bet but im not sure.

Help!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8350 burn.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	381194  
post #8862 of 8867 Old 11-23-2014, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by latenight View Post
Let me preface this by saying I'm an idiot. I didn't have a screensaver on my HTPC and somehow my projector got left on for days on the movie select screen (on the movie 2 Guns). I tried leaving it off for 2 days and it got a little better but not much.

I attached a pic below.

My guess is it burned the image into the polarizer since it was on for so long.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I am way outside of warranty. Epson still might be my safest bet but im not sure.

Help!!!!!
My wife did something similar while i was at work. When i came home to watch a movie, i saw the EPSON logo burned in. Of course, little miss innocent had no idea how that could have possibly happened. Anyway, after a few days, with normal use, the logo faded away.
post #8863 of 8867 Old 11-24-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'd second the position it'll fade... LCDs are not suppored to be subject to burn-in as were CRTs.

975 hours on 3-year bulb, blew... I'd also contact Epson SINCE it has so few hours (they advertise 200+) when it went THEY are causing you to purchase a new bulb (in your case) three years sooner than you'd budgeted for! See if you can have them send you a "1-time adjustment" and send a new bulb... suggest they update their literature if it's NOT accurate! ALSO, the closer the better for PJs as it 'opens' the lens up allowing more lumens to pass... I don't agree that a longer throw distance is optimal... this is the FIRST I've heard that poistion.

I'm one who had the auto-iris and Epson sent me a refurb. Once and done... not several, just once. They also sent me a replacement bulb when I complained (see earlier post) it didn't last the advertised # of hours...
post #8864 of 8867 Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post
I'd second the position it'll fade... LCDs are not suppored to be subject to burn-in as were CRTs.

975 hours on 3-year bulb, blew... I'd also contact Epson SINCE it has so few hours (they advertise 200+) when it went THEY are causing you to purchase a new bulb (in your case) three years sooner than you'd budgeted for! See if you can have them send you a "1-time adjustment" and send a new bulb... suggest they update their literature if it's NOT accurate! ALSO, the closer the better for PJs as it 'opens' the lens up allowing more lumens to pass... I don't agree that a longer throw distance is optimal... this is the FIRST I've heard that poistion.

I'm one who had the auto-iris and Epson sent me a refurb. Once and done... not several, just once. They also sent me a replacement bulb when I complained (see earlier post) it didn't last the advertised # of hours...
i got ahold of epson, they are going to send me a replacement bulb,with no warranty? ill probably keep the one i ordered to just in case, ive got the upgrade bug too, new laser light source projectors are coming.
post #8865 of 8867 Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm guessing 'with no warranty' means they hope you get a good life out of the bulb, but they will not offer you another one since at 3 years old they are outside the 2 year wrranty. THIS is a GREAT deal for you -- a free bulb!

Since you only use your Epson 975/3 years = 325 hours/year you'll have plenty of time to wait out the technology before you upgrade!
post #8866 of 8867 Old Today, 10:39 AM

So the replacement 8350 arrived yesterday, and I got a chance to set it up today. This one's even worse than the one it's replacing. This replacement unit has a green vertical band on the right side of the screen, white text has pink / blue edging, and it has a dust blog.

This is unreal, and I can't believe I was sent this pile of trash as my "replacement".

Has anyone ever received a refund from Epson? I just want my money back at this point, I don't have the time to play this exchange game in hopes of getting a unit that has issues, just potentially less issues.

Pioneer Elite 111FD
Pioneer 4280HD
Pioneer VSX-1021K
PS3 Slim

My setup
post #8867 of 8867 Old Today, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Take pictures to document, document, document. Then, be patient and contact Epson with the findings. They'll send another and we all know how GREAT this PJ is... after a few tries you'll be satisfied or they'll up the ante with a 'new' unit. Be sure to question THEM in how both the refurb and it's replacement are not up to their standards, and their quality control in shipping BOTH of these units as "consumer ready" when they are not.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350