The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread - Page 298 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

Old 12-18-2014, 05:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I did the cleaning procedure again and I can't get rid of one a green blob. How difficult is it to get to the mirrors? I have been blowing air on the green LCD without much luck, so I'm thinking the dust must be on one of the mirrors.

Kuro'd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2014, 10:10 PM

Is it possible to have dust on the mirrors? Its a green blob so I assumed its dust on the green panel. Looking inside the lens when the projector is on I can see what looks like a small hair, tiny fuzz.

Am I see dust on a lcd, mirror, or on the inside of the lens? I've blown quite a bit of air on the lcd panels and at the inside of the lens, and I can't get rid of this one fuzz. Maybe its burnt on a mirror.

Kuro'd
Old 12-20-2014, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertw11 View Post
Is it possible to have dust on the mirrors? Its a green blob so I assumed its dust on the green panel. Looking inside the lens when the projector is on I can see what looks like a small hair, tiny fuzz.

Am I see dust on a lcd, mirror, or on the inside of the lens? I've blown quite a bit of air on the lcd panels and at the inside of the lens, and I can't get rid of this one fuzz. Maybe its burnt on a mirror.
Ideally you want to detach the LCD cable from the board in order to get a good shot of air into the panel area. Dust blobs show up best on the green LCD panel, however the dust could be on the red or blue panels. They should all be blown out.

A fine layer of dust itself will not show up on the screen, just dust blobs.

Use two cans of compressed air being careful not to let the liquid propellant out. When one gets too cold, switch to the other. Standing the projector on end so it is upright helps to keep the can of compressed air upright as well. Detach the ribbon cable from the board by flipping up the clamp that holds it in place. Using your compressed air work your way back and forth parallel to the LCD panel using a sweeping motion. Don't be stingy with the air, you want to dislodge it and blow it out of that area.

It's not unusual for people to try several times to get a dust blob out before it's finally blown out.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Old 12-20-2014, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Had my 8350 for around two months...watched about a dozen movies on it. No gaming.

Tried to turn it on today and all I hear is a loud fan...and it can only be shut off from the main power switch. Unbelievable!
Old 12-20-2014, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey guys

Hoping to gain a little insight here. Troubleshooting

Quick facts
original bulb 1500hrs
new generic bulb 4hrs
wont turn on without fiddling
once on all is perfect zero problems

OK when I press the on button it will usually display the epson logo then the lamp goes out. It does this three times then the red lamp light flashes.
If i pull the plug. toggle power switch sometimes pull lamp out/in it turns on fine and works perfect until it is shutdown again. This made me wonder if it was just a bulb problem or something more serious. I ordered a cheap generic bulb. Installed it, tested turning it off/on for a day or two and all was good again ( expect picture quality) Today I couldn't get it to start no matter what i tried. So I put the original bulb back in and it fired right up. Watched a movie turned it off. Turned it back on in the afternoon no problems again. Went to watch a movie tonight and it wont start again. Once again I fiddled around with it and got it going. Do you think it could just be a bulb problem or something more serious.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Ideally you want to detach the LCD cable from the board in order to get a good shot of air into the panel area. Dust blobs show up best on the green LCD panel, however the dust could be on the red or blue panels. They should all be blown out.

A fine layer of dust itself will not show up on the screen, just dust blobs.

Use two cans of compressed air being careful not to let the liquid propellant out. When one gets too cold, switch to the other. Standing the projector on end so it is upright helps to keep the can of compressed air upright as well. Detach the ribbon cable from the board by flipping up the clamp that holds it in place. Using your compressed air work your way back and forth parallel to the LCD panel using a sweeping motion. Don't be stingy with the air, you want to dislodge it and blow it out of that area.

It's not unusual for people to try several times to get a dust blob out before it's finally blown out.
I followed your instructions, and got the blob out. Once I detached the ribbon cables I could see I wasn't blowing the air down far enough to work the panels before. So the 7th times the charm.

Thanks for the tips, and quick response.

Kuro'd
Old 12-21-2014, 01:52 AM

Liked: 0
Dust problem?

Hi!

I've read this topic quite long. My projector is about three years old. I've suffered from dust blobs some time and now i don't know what's up with it. When i turn focus all the way out the image has these little red and blue dots all around!

I've tried cleaning it many times. Today i pulled the main circuit board out and used a lot of air straight to the panels and still no help.
When i took the lamp off it had a lot of "glitter" fallen from it. So i was wondering could that been sucked inside of the pj? Can't yet attach images so...

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-21-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertw11 View Post
I followed your instructions, and got the blob out. Once I detached the ribbon cables I could see I wasn't blowing the air down far enough to work the panels before. So the 7th times the charm.

Thanks for the tips, and quick response.
Glad to hear it worked out for you. A side benefit is that if there was a fine layer of dust on the panels it's also gone now, which can lead to a slightly brighter and clearer picture.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrshawn View Post
Hey guys

Hoping to gain a little insight here. Troubleshooting

Quick facts
original bulb 1500hrs
new generic bulb 4hrs
wont turn on without fiddling
once on all is perfect zero problems

OK when I press the on button it will usually display the epson logo then the lamp goes out. It does this three times then the red lamp light flashes.
If i pull the plug. toggle power switch sometimes pull lamp out/in it turns on fine and works perfect until it is shutdown again. This made me wonder if it was just a bulb problem or something more serious. I ordered a cheap generic bulb. Installed it, tested turning it off/on for a day or two and all was good again ( expect picture quality) Today I couldn't get it to start no matter what i tried. So I put the original bulb back in and it fired right up. Watched a movie turned it off. Turned it back on in the afternoon no problems again. Went to watch a movie tonight and it wont start again. Once again I fiddled around with it and got it going. Do you think it could just be a bulb problem or something more serious.
Clearly your problem started with the generic bulb. Do you really mean a bulb or lamp? Lamp means the entire assembly, bulb means just that, a generic bulb installed in the original Epson lamp case.

I'm assuming you reset the lamp counter to zero when you installed the generic bulb?

Old 12-21-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasba View Post
Hi!

I've read this topic quite long. My projector is about three years old. I've suffered from dust blobs some time and now i don't know what's up with it. When i turn focus all the way out the image has these little red and blue dots all around!

I've tried cleaning it many times. Today i pulled the main circuit board out and used a lot of air straight to the panels and still no help.
When i took the lamp off it had a lot of "glitter" fallen from it. So i was wondering could that been sucked inside of the pj? Can't yet attach images so...

Thanks in advance!
Did you follow the guide in post #8913 above?

As mentioned it can sometimes take more than one attempt to blow dust blobs out completely.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasba View Post
Hi!

Thanks in advance!
You may be better off counting your loss and moving on. This projector is pure CRAP. Mine lasted two months...yours lasted three years, consider yourself extremely lucky! If only I had listened to the folks reporting problems with this projector. I have had a Pansonic projector in my HT since 2002 and its still working...SMH!

Last edited by DrewB; 12-21-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewB View Post
You may be better off counting your loss and moving on. This projector is pure CRAP. Mine lasted two months...yours lasted three years, consider yourself extremely lucky! If only I had listened to the folks reporting problems with this projector. I have had a Pansonic projector in my HT since 2002 and its still working...SMH!
Funny. My 8350 still works perfectly fine. So do countless thousands of other people's. Didn't you take advantage of Epson's incredible customer service and get a replacement?
Old 12-21-2014, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
Funny. My 8350 still works perfectly fine. So do countless thousands of other people's. Didn't you take advantage of Epson's incredible customer service and get a replacement?
Good for you! Needing a replacement after 2 months of watching a dozen or so movies is absolutely ridiculous...I don't care how good their customer service is! Based on some of the adventures posted here we will see how many units it will take. It may be time to look into a class action. So much for enjoying the blurays I bought the kids for Xmas - but have fun with yours!

Last edited by DrewB; 12-21-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Clearly your problem started with the generic bulb. Do you really mean a bulb or lamp? Lamp means the entire assembly, bulb means just that, a generic bulb installed in the original Epson lamp case.

I'm assuming you reset the lamp counter to zero when you installed the generic bulb?
Correct, lamp. Problem started with original lamp that is why I ordered the generic lamp. Yes, I reset the counter when I put the new generic lamp in. From reading it seems like a strange way for the lamp to fail.

Last edited by Mrshawn; 12-21-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
PS. I'm also bewildered as to why you would find my situation "funny"...cause nothing is remotely entertaining about having a new projector just quit on you without warning.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewB View Post
Good for you! Needing a replacement after 2 months of watching a dozen or so movies is absolutely ridiculous...I don't care how good their customer service is! Based on some of the adventures posted here we will see how many units it will take. It may be time to look into a class action. So much for enjoying the blurays I bought the kids for Xmas - but have fun with yours!
You could have a replacement by Tuesday if you wanted. Who knows...if you actually got in contact with Epson, they might send you a brand new PJ. They may actually upgrade you to a newer model. By the sounds of it though, you will never know because you seemed more determined to blow a gasket than you are to get a solution to your problem.

Also, to respond to your other comment, by funny, I obviously meant "strange" as in funny strange, and not funny ha-ha. Interesting that you should read it that way.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You could have a replacement by Tuesday if you wanted. Who knows...if you actually got in contact with Epson, they might send you a brand new PJ. They may actually upgrade you to a newer model. By the sounds of it though, you will never know because you seemed more determined to blow a gasket than you are to get a solution to your problem.

Also, to respond to your other comment, by funny, I obviously meant "strange" as in funny strange, and not funny ha-ha. Interesting that you should read it that way.
Ok, thanks for the clarification. I will give them a call in the morning.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrshawn View Post
Correct, lamp. Problem started with original lamp that is why I ordered the generic lamp. Yes, I reset the counter when I put the new generic lamp in. From reading it seems like a strange way for the lamp to fail.
I think your best option at this point is to reinstall the original lamp and call Epson. Tell them about your problem (personally I would avoid mentioning the generic lamp) and ask them for a solution. They will likely send a replacement projector or lamp.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

So I called Epson as they asked me to power up the projector...so I unboxed it an tada...thing powered on! WTF! Yesterday the folks at Best Buy couldn't get it to turn on either.

Anyway, Epson logged the issue so at least they have a record of it in case something happens again. What a whirlwind weekend...now I have to reinstall it in my HT and hope for the best I guess.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Did you follow the guide in post [] above?

As mentioned it can sometimes take more than one attempt to blow dust blobs out completely.
I've tried it multiple times without any luck. Green blobs don't annoy but it's the red ones and they are way too easy to see on white picture. Well i guess i'll go buy more compressed air and try once again

I asked the cost for professional cleaning and it was 106€ which is about 125$ in a company that does the repairs and stuff.

Is there any other possible place for the dust to affect the picture?
Old 12-23-2014, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just purchased an 8350. Thinking of getting a playstation TV, probably won't get one, but just thinking about it made me wonder on 720p content.

Is the 1080p epson 8350 able to automatically "natively" display 720p content and project it out to the same image size as the 1080p source?
If not, do any projectors do it? I ask because I noticed some image size weirdness on initial setup with my Genie Mini cable box while cycling
through the resolutions.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsoul View Post
I just purchased an 8350. Thinking of getting a playstation TV, probably won't get one, but just thinking about it made me wonder on 720p content.

Is the 1080p epson 8350 able to automatically "natively" display 720p content and project it out to the same image size as the 1080p source?
If not, do any projectors do it? I ask because I noticed some image size weirdness on initial setup with my Genie Mini cable box while cycling
through the resolutions.
Have no fear. The 8350 will have no problems properly displaying 720p content. You may need to check to see what the Genie Mini's settings are as well though. It may require adjustment as well.
mcsoul likes this.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
I think your best option at this point is to reinstall the original lamp and call Epson. Tell them about your problem (personally I would avoid mentioning the generic lamp) and ask them for a solution. They will likely send a replacement projector or lamp.
Thanks for your replies. Just realized I posted in the wrong thread I have a 8700ub
Old 12-24-2014, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
One more question.

I purchased the 8350 with 1750 hours on the lamp. I want to order a new lamp and housing,
taking this lamp and housing out and storing it as an emergency spare. As a projector Newb
I am inclined to go full OEM from Epson.com for $299, if there is a place that I can trust to
have real zero use on the OEM housing OEM part and manufacturer installed lamp, I would not
mind saving a few bucks.

I may even try a complete knockoff if it came highly recommended by a member here.
Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
As for a replacement lamp, I have not seen anyone post info about a cheaper alternative to the OEM bulb that lasted even half as long or didn't have other issues. Your best bet seems to go with an EPSON OEM bulb. That's what I would do, or will be doing, once I need a new bulb.
Old Today, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LCD can be burned in, but it usually takes more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post
I'd second the position it'll fade... LCDs are not supposed to be subject to burn-in as were CRTs.
Actually, an LCD can be burned in if there is any charge imbalance in the panel drive. To avoid electroplating the crystals the pattern you see and its polar opposite are both driven. The one you see at a low voltage for a long time, and its opposite at a higher voltage for a short time. The permanence of any burned-in pattern depends on whether the accumulation caused any chemical changes (i.e. bonding to the surface). A permanent burn-in generally requires something wrong with the panel drivers.
Old Today, 06:50 PM

Now that you can, do yourself a service by putting your projector in high altitude mode. The 8350 fans in normal mode shut down way too early. This may have been corrected in the latest software, but no reason to take a chance.

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350