The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread - Page 305 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 19Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #9121 of 9125 Old 07-20-2015, 08:30 AM
Senior Member
 
SilentJ20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Graham, WA
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protonus View Post
I thought that quote you (mis)quoted (wasn't attributed to me) sounded familiar... searched, yeah, that's what I wrote lol.

I stand by my original comment, but will expand on it for you...
Awesome. Thanks for taking the time to go more in depth.

I have a fully light controlled room, and thus I do not need a light cannon. The main annoyance of the DT-510 is the (in my opinion) poor black levels, even on eco-mode and high-contrast iris. There's no black, more of a dark blue/grey that I see. I guess I need to go beyond the 8350 level to get what I want.
SilentJ20 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9122 of 9125 Old 07-20-2015, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
dude2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protonus View Post
I'm not sure I'd recommend spraying directly onto the LCD's at all, especially with compressed air cans, as they can spray liquid cyanogen and freeze components. The LCD's aren't the most robust things, and, we have no convergence adjustment on this projector, which means if you misalign one of the LCD's in the process or move it at all, your convergence will be wrong.

I would do as the person you quoted recommends, just spray down thru the slots in the motherboard where the LCD connectors are, from the top. After all you're talking about simply removing dust. Just moving air thru that cavity will dislodge a lot of the dust. Doing anything further is going to require removing the motherboard, which, if you're not comfortable repairing modern electronics, will be intimidating to say the lest. When you spray down that slot, use a straw, and make sure the can is upright, so that it doesn't spray any liquid out.

Or better yet, use a powered air duster like this one (I have this one, and love it. It's a must have IMHO if you own a projector or maintain PC's, great for cleaning filters or anything else): http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-E.../dp/B001J4ZOAW
Thanks, you raise some very good points including the potential to mess up the convergence, which as far as i can tell currently is pretty good on mine. I'll check out this blower, makes sense as opposed to the dusters (and seems like it would be really helpful to clean out my PC)
dude2006 is offline  
post #9123 of 9125 Old 07-20-2015, 08:43 AM
Member
 
Protonus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Webster, NY
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentJ20 View Post
Awesome. Thanks for taking the time to go more in depth.

I have a fully light controlled room, and thus I do not need a light cannon. The main annoyance of the DT-510 is the (in my opinion) poor black levels, even on eco-mode and high-contrast iris. There's no black, more of a dark blue/grey that I see. I guess I need to go beyond the 8350 level to get what I want.
No problem. But yeah, if you don't think the DT-510 has enough blacks, you're really not going to like 8350 then.

That said, it sounds like you might want a gray screen. The DT-510's blacks are actually very good, for an entry level, digital projector. It sounds like you are expecting blacks like you'll get out of an old, analog, 3 CRT projector, which is just not going to happen on a digital projector unless you spend a ton of cash. Digital projectors in general, are sacrificing blacks for resolution and brightness/vibrance.

May also want to try bias lighting (light behind the screen), as well as black velvet borders on your screen.

You might want to look into a higher end 3 DLP chip projector as the replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude2006 View Post
Thanks, you raise some very good points including the potential to mess up the convergence, which as far as i can tell currently is pretty good on mine. I'll check out this blower, makes sense as opposed to the dusters (and seems like it would be really helpful to clean out my PC)
Just be careful when you use it. It's very, very powerful. Have a good grip on it the first time you turn it on!

Harman Kardon AVR 254 ● Energy Connoisseur C-7 ● Epson PowerLite 8350 ● 100" DIY WA DW w/ 80/20 frame
Protonus is online now  
post #9124 of 9125 Old 07-20-2015, 08:54 AM
Senior Member
 
SilentJ20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Graham, WA
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protonus View Post
No problem. But yeah, if you don't think the DT-510 has enough blacks, you're really not going to like 8350 then.

That said, it sounds like you might want a gray screen. The DT-510's blacks are actually very good, for an entry level, digital projector. It sounds like you are expecting blacks like you'll get out of an old, analog, 3 CRT projector, which is just not going to happen on a digital projector unless you spend a ton of cash. Digital projectors in general, are sacrificing blacks for resolution and brightness/vibrance.

May also want to try bias lighting (light behind the screen), as well as black velvet borders on your screen.

You might want to look into a higher end 3 DLP chip projector as the replacement.
You're the first person who has given me a good comparison of the DT-510 vs others, so I'm coming to new conclusions. Since most reasonably affordable projectors seem to put out so much light, I'll be looking into a gray screen. I'll also be trying to talk the wife into a budget that allows something in the epson "UB/ultra black" category or similar.

Anyways, don't want to get too off topic in this thread. Thanks for the info.
SilentJ20 is online now  
post #9125 of 9125 Unread Today, 12:56 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys,

I did a search and I've seen a few posts about green spots and multiple white spots, but I've got an issue with a single white spot.

I don't even know if I would call it a white spot, it's just more lit. Almost dead center, top third of the screen; it's like a little flashlight is shining there. It's like it's glowing.

It only happen on straight black screens, like on the no input screen or when HBO Go is loading. I've yet to notice during a movie scene that's dark. All that being said, I'd like to fix it possible. My warranty is up and even if it wasn't, all Epson ever did was send me other faulty projectors. This one held up for 2 months before I noticed this.

Any idea why I'm having this white spot on my image?

Thanks.
terd is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off