The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread - Page 306 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 22Likes
post #9151 of 9176 Unread 09-17-2015, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanhenson View Post
Mine won't project with a cable longer than 10 ft right now. Tried a brand blue jeans high speed, top of the line slap yo mama cable and nothing. No signal.

Maybe this will help?

The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread

That's a long chain and still works perfectly.
As I posted, as an initial test because I was curious ... the 45ft hdmi cable (notice gauge) also worked completely by itself (directly from back of Onkyo to Epson 8350).

Is there a HDMI-2 input port on your projector that you can try?

Living Room Home-Theater:
Epson 8350 1080p Projector (96") / Panasonic TH-46pz850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 7.2 HDMI Audio/Video Amplifier/Receiver (630 watts)
Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-Ray Disc Player / Cisco 8742hdc DVR (TimeWarner)
Harmony 670 Remote / HTPC (Kodi/Win7-64) Media Server PC / Synology 12tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / PSW505 12-Inch Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9152 of 9176 Unread 09-18-2015, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm on my 4th Epson 8345 in 18 months (dust blobs, dust blobs, convergence issues), and another big dust blob showed up yesterday. It's still under warranty, but with the refurb units being a crap shoot, I'm considering cleaning the LCDs myself.

I searched this thread and found xccxxx's method, but I was hoping that someone could answer a few questions before I do.
  1. Would opening the projector void the warranty? If so, how can they tell I opened it?
  2. Are there any Epson projectors that don't suffer from dust blobs?
  3. Has anyone had success with customer service offering an upgrade to a different model due to recurring issues?

I'm getting really tired of the dust blob issues. I had DLP before (BenQ w1080ST), but am one of the unfortunate few who suffer from the rainbow effect.

I just need a projector that shoots 100" at 10 feet, has horiz/vert lens shift, and doesn't have rainbows or dust blobs. Is that too much to ask?
post #9153 of 9176 Unread 09-23-2015, 08:26 PM

Liked: 10
My two-year work in progress using the Epson 8350 is still ongoing after some issues arose. Big shout out to MississippiMan for all his help.

Purchased the 8350 along with an 82" Da-Lite Cinema Contour High Contrast Cinema Vision (HCCV) Fixed Frame Projection Screen. Had initially setup the projector, ran into an issue with it, warranty exchanged it and life then deteriorated from there. Finally got the project completed, and this is what I see in the top right hand corner on white backgrounds. Took two pictures with one being a close-up shot. Hadn't done my due diligence when I initially got the exchange. Looked through the thread and cannot pinpoint what the issue is. Not the screen material as I placed a white piece of paper in front of it and still there.

Called Epson who ended up after some back and forth agreeing to send off a replacement refurbished unit. That unit came with a convergence issue shown in the image below with the letter A. Called them up yet again and was told after being escalated to Advanced Product Support that a quality assured refurbished unit would now be sent off. Received that one today and after having our handyman take down our existing unit a second time, upon flipping over the quality assured refurbished one, you could hear a number of parts rattling around inside. See the following video:

Another call to Epson, another "quality assured" unit being sent off.

After thoroughly reading this thread, I believe the following are all the issues one should be looking for once they receive a replacement:
  • Dust Blobs
  • Auto-Iris Failure Issues
  • Sharpness (Chromatic Distortion) Issues
  • Convergence Issues
  • Stuck/Stiff Focus and Zoom Rings
  • Dislodged Parts Issue

A little ridiculous at this point despite statements from experts in the thread of the countless units they've installed without issue. Getting tired playing Refurbished Projector Bingo. /endrant
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150923_215352.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	959194   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150923_215520.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	959202   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-09-28 16.13.42.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	971353  

Last edited by phreshjive; 10-01-2015 at 02:35 PM.
post #9154 of 9176 Unread 10-01-2015, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I just moved into a new house and I'm working with a 8350 is a smaller space than what I've worked with in the past. I've got it to fill a 120" screen though with it's amazing vertical/horizontal lens shift. The smaller room in a Florida house equals a very warm room. What settings on the 8350 would provide the coolest running temperature? High altitude mode (higher fan) + eco mode bulb?
post #9155 of 9176 Unread 10-01-2015, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smidget View Post
I just moved into a new house and I'm working with a 8350 is a smaller space than what I've worked with in the past. I've got it to fill a 120" screen though with it's amazing vertical/horizontal lens shift. The smaller room in a Florida house equals a very warm room. What settings on the 8350 would provide the coolest running temperature? High altitude mode (higher fan) + eco mode bulb?
fiddling with the options in my 8345, what got it the quietest (fan speed down due to less heat) seemed to be Cinema, ECO mode, EPSON Super White ON. It's also the least bright image however.
post #9156 of 9176 Unread 10-07-2015, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
There is a chance I'm buying a TW3600 (the 8035's european equivalent, if I got it right) and I'd like to know what the general opinion on this projector is. Can't go through 306 pages!
With some search I found some complaints about dust blobs, and some about bulbs going out sooner than advertised. Are those frequent indeed? Are dust blobs easy to clean on your own?
Also, does this projector do 3D? I read it's "3D ready" - does that mean it's not the same as newer projectors, where you only need a pair of glasses?
Thanks!
post #9157 of 9176 Unread 10-07-2015, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonlordP View Post
Can't go through 306 pages!
But you can search the thread. The reason it's 306 pages long is because people keep asking the same things repeatedly like this.

This post written in Tapatalk on my LG G3

Harman Kardon AVR 254 ● Energy Connoisseur C-7 ● Epson PowerLite 8350 ● 100" DIY WA DW w/ 80/20 frame
post #9158 of 9176 Unread 10-07-2015, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Would you guys consider the epson 3500 a huge step up from the 8350?

My room now is light controlled with black cieling and dark red walls.

I love the pic on the epson 8350 it's at 150 with a silver ticket screen.

I need a new bulb, that's the only reason iam thinking of the upgrade
post #9159 of 9176 Unread 10-07-2015, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protonus View Post
But you can search the thread. The reason it's 306 pages long is because people keep asking the same things repeatedly like this.

This post written in Tapatalk on my LG G3
No, as a matter of fact I can't (or don't know how to) search for "the general opinion on this projector", which was my main question. For the other questions, I find a lot of people saying their bulbs exploded etc but I can't be sure if it's at an extent where one would say that there is added risk with bulbs with this particular projector, that's what I was asking. The only thing I could find by searching was how to clean the dust blobs, and I already have, but I thought I'd throw this question in anyway in case someone has something new to say since some of the answers go back a while.
post #9160 of 9176 Unread 10-09-2015, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I'm having an issue with my Epson 8350 when it boots up cold. The EPSON screen will pop up like normal, then it just goes to a black screen. The projector is on, the fans are blowing, the power light blinks blue slowly and you can see light come from the lense. Also, randomly it sounds like the lense is trying to automatically adjust. I attached a link to the youtube clip of this happening. Anyone have similar problems?

Cinema-8 Build

Rotel RMB-1075 5 Channel Amplifier FOR SALE
HSU VTF-15H Subwoofer FOR SALE
post #9161 of 9176 Unread 10-11-2015, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPC_Dude View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by xccxxx 

So after developing the dreaded Green Dust Blob problem on my EH-TW 3200, I decided to open it up to try and clean it myself. I believe the Epson 8350 is the same projector (just the U.S version of the 3200), so this should work for that also. I managed to get rid of all the dust with this method, so thought I would post this up for others if they want to try it also. It was actually really easy, and I'm happy to have avoided the hassle of having to go the replaced/exchanged route with Epson. All you need is a can of compressed air, a phillips head screwdriver and 20 or so minutes. Obviously, do this at your own risk, I'm not responsible if your projector blows up etc To start with, make sure your projector is unplugged, and has been off for at least an hour or so.
Step 1
Take out the 2 screws circled in red, then flip the projector upside down.

Step 2
Remove the next twelve screws circled in red.

Step 3
Gently remove the side as shown in the picture. Once you are this far, you need to sort of push it down to disengage the top clips. This is by far the most annoying part of the whole process, be really careful here and do not force anything too much. You can also try flipping the projector right side up to try and wedge this off that way (it might actually be a little easier like this)

You can see the top clips here, and also the ribbon cable connecting to the 'Menu' panel.

Step 4
With the projector right side up, gently lift off the top casing. This comes off really easily, just be careful of the ribbon cable that is connected.

Step 5
Locate the three ribbons that have the words RED, GREEN and BLUE on them.

They look like this:

Step 6
Spray compressed air as shown in the pictures. (Do all three ribbons just for good measure) I used up a 250ml can while doing this. Try and keep the can as vertical as possible in order to avoid any liquid/moisture coming out of the can. Give it a couple of test sprays before putting it near your projector. You could also get someone to hold the projector on its side while spraying in order to keep the can as upright as possible .

Step 7
Re-assemble, and your blobs will hopefully be gone.
Good luck!!

Thank you xccxxx, just performed the dust removal per your instructions and everything went beautifully. I had 3 dust blobs, but after the cleaning, I have zero. Can't believe it was so easy. My projector only has 240 hrs. Admittedly I had not even cleaned the filter but I did not want to disturb the projector and create more dust, however, the dust blobs appeared anyway. Obviously, the projector is not sealed were it needs to be. Anyway, a little compressed air did the trick.

The only thing I did different was I disconnected the flex ribbon cables. Easy to do, just lift up on the sliding part of the connector on the PCB.

I'm happy that my projector is like new again and I did not need to call Epson for a refurbished replacement!

Thought I'd bring back an old post and thank the OP once again. I just performed this service yesterday on my one year old 8345 after 250 hours of run time. Without instruction, I would not know how to resolve the dust blob issue without sending the unit back to Epson. I had an 8350 which also had dust blobs until I blew out the unit per the posted instructions. What was nice is the dust blobs never came back, so hopefully this is generally a one time occurrence and once fixed it's good for a long while.

A few days ago I was considering upgrading to a new, more expensive projector, like the Sony VPL-HW40 ES. I've seen this projector go for as little as $1700 or about 2X what I paid for my 8345. After blowing out the dust blobs, realigning and focusing the image to my screen and fiddling around with the color modes, I am once again quite happy with my 8345 and no longer feel the need to go out and spend money for something new. The only real advantages I would say the Sony HW40 has over my 8345 is the lack of Auto-Iris while still having (probably) better blacks. For me, any chance to get rid of noise and complexity is a plus. However, I wouldn't be willing to spend 2X for that feature.

Last edited by HTPC_Dude; 10-11-2015 at 08:42 AM.
post #9162 of 9176 Unread 10-22-2015, 02:39 PM

Iris Noise

Received my replacement Quality Assured refurbished projector after a much longer than normal wait. While the picture is seemingly spot on, I am concerned with the variation in sound coming from the Iris and fan. First unit that I have heard such a high pitch iris. I uploaded the audio from both units here: https://soundcloud.com/phreshjive-1

Note that you'll hear substantially more fan noise from the older defective unit (Unit B) as the replacement unit with the higher pitch Iris (Unit A) is mounted on the ceiling while the older defective unit (Unit B) was placed on a hardwood floor.

My concern is that with all the reports of Iris failures over time that the replacement unit (Unit A) has some issue with its iris. Comments are very much appreciated.
post #9163 of 9176 Unread 10-22-2015, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal swagger View Post
Would you guys consider the epson 3500 a huge step up from the 8350?

My room now is light controlled with black cieling and dark red walls.

I love the pic on the epson 8350 it's at 150 with a silver ticket screen.

I need a new bulb, that's the only reason iam thinking of the upgrade
Won't you need a new bulb to prove it works when selling it anyway.
Get the new bulb, see what comes out for new models,
pick up something new when you have 800 hours on the new bulb.
post #9164 of 9176 Unread 10-22-2015, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
The 8345 is connected to a Dish receiver that functions as a dvr with a external harddrive. I have a HDnet test pattern saved on the hard drive. The box is no longer recognizing the hard drive. I ordered a external case to install the bare drive in, hoping it's the drives usb adaptor that's bad. I'm holding off on pictures till I get that working, or not. Without the external drive I can't even pause an image. I don't have a BluRay calibration disk. I have a HDDVD disk but can't find it. I did find a camera that's been missing since September.
I ordered a $13 ceiling mount on eBay. I'll post how that works out.
I need to get the CRT down cus it's in the way. The 8345 will be behind it.
Hi John, I recently bought an Epson 8345 refurb. It has a rotating wheel sound, and it has a weird alarm-like periodic noise. I have video about this. Do you have the same thing? I am wondering if I need to ask for a return or replacement, because it didn't sound normal. Thank you!

youtube.com/watch?v=7FT3QSwePts
post #9165 of 9176 Unread 10-22-2015, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwoodward View Post
Won't you need a new bulb to prove it works when selling it anyway.
Get the new bulb, see what comes out for new models,
pick up something new when you have 800 hours on the new bulb.
Yeah replaced with oem bulb and picture is 100%...Gona hold onto it it for a bit more until the 5025/5030 drop down a bit more...
post #9166 of 9176 Unread 10-27-2015, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a question about sending back my projector after receiving a refurb. Mine was blowing lamps, one at 1100 hours and one at around 850. The most recent one, the 850, actually made a popping sound. I took it out and was going to buy another one and threw it in the trash. Then I figured I'd call Epson and they said they'd ship a refurb'd unit so I agreed. I just received my replacement and it looks like it came with a brand new lamp. I'm getting ~13 ftL, which is typical for a new lamp with my installation. My problem is, I have a projector to send back without a lamp in it. Is this going to be a problem?
post #9167 of 9176 Unread 11-10-2015, 02:23 AM

Liked: 11
my epson 8350 started having this issue. the image on the very left and right of the screen looks a little brighter (or in colder tint i am not sure). the area is larger on the right side. I tried different cables, and different input/outputs. no luck. what do you guys think the problem is?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151109_220512.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1048993  
post #9168 of 9176 Unread 11-16-2015, 09:27 AM

Quick question: Can someone confirm if PureLandSupply is the place to purchase oem bulbs for the 8350?
post #9169 of 9176 Unread 11-22-2015, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Upgrading, what would you buy a used 8350 for which has a bulb at 2k hours and for one with a new bulb? No issues with the unit. Trying to price it to get rid of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9170 of 9176 Unread 12-05-2015, 08:12 PM

My Epson 8350 has a blinking red temp light and won't power on. The user manual just says to contact Epson. What might this be?
post #9171 of 9176 Unread 12-12-2015, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by razevents View Post
Upgrading, what would you buy a used 8350 for which has a bulb at 2k hours and for one with a new bulb? No issues with the unit. Trying to price it to get rid of it.

I would think it would sell fast at $600-$650.
post #9172 of 9176 Unread 12-12-2015, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPC_Dude View Post
I would think it would sell fast at $600-$650.

7hunded ish hours. It's listed. It's set in the 400s. No bites for a while on here.

post #9173 of 9176 Unread 02-08-2016, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is this dimming?

So my last replacement was in 2014 and 300HRS later I'm noticing the brightness/contrast adjusting itself every few seconds. Is this what "dimming" looks like? I assumed dimming would be an overall dimming of the output of the bulb that happened gradually. Watching the superbowl yesterday it was quite apparent the change in picture as it was constantly happening.

I could describe it as every 3 -5 seconds, the brightness would slightly drop and therefore contrast popped, then it would even out, and happen again.

Part of me feels it could perhaps be fans turning on and off, or some sort of power drop?

I tried turning off eco mode but there's no difference.

I called Epson, i'm past my warranty. Coincidentally, two dust blobs just appeared. I'm not sure what to do about it, there's no Epson repair centers near me, and they won't send me a replacement. They're more concerned with the blobs - they recommended I get a new/same projector to verify that the bulb is its own issue, then they'll bump me up to a higher support tier where i can negotiate a free replacement bulb.

Anyone have any luck using their credit card extended coverage on something like this?
post #9174 of 9176 Unread 02-08-2016, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by aijuswannasing View Post
So my last replacement was in 2014 and 300HRS later I'm noticing the brightness/contrast adjusting itself every few seconds. Is this what "dimming" looks like? I assumed dimming would be an overall dimming of the output of the bulb that happened gradually. Watching the superbowl yesterday it was quite apparent the change in picture as it was constantly happening.

I could describe it as every 3 -5 seconds, the brightness would slightly drop and therefore contrast popped, then it would even out, and happen again.

Part of me feels it could perhaps be fans turning on and off, or some sort of power drop?

I tried turning off eco mode but there's no difference.

I called Epson, i'm past my warranty. Coincidentally, two dust blobs just appeared. I'm not sure what to do about it, there's no Epson repair centers near me, and they won't send me a replacement. They're more concerned with the blobs - they recommended I get a new/same projector to verify that the bulb is its own issue, then they'll bump me up to a higher support tier where i can negotiate a free replacement bulb.

Anyone have any luck using their credit card extended coverage on something like this?

What about the Auto-Iris setting?

Sounds like bulb maybe. Try a genuine Epson bulb. Maybe AC-Power (long-shot) so try a good and adequate-sized UPS (like APC) ... maybe temp borrow from PC.

Dust blobs fix has been posted several times. Reseat all connection while in there.

Yes, over the years ... I've successfully used CC Buyer Protection for consumer electronics and computer peripherals.

Mine is still working fine ... purchased new at local BestBuy 8-2011.

Living Room Home-Theater:
Epson 8350 1080p Projector (96") / Panasonic TH-46pz850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 7.2 HDMI Audio/Video Amplifier/Receiver (630 watts)
Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-Ray Disc Player / Cisco 8742hdc DVR (TimeWarner)
Harmony 670 Remote / HTPC (Kodi/Win7-64) Media Server PC / Synology 12tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / PSW505 12-Inch Sub
post #9175 of 9176 Unread 02-09-2016, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I seem to be having some HDMI handshaking issues with my 8350. The screen will remain black, even though I can see that there is light coming from the bulb. This only happens if the source is turned on. For example, if I turn on the projector when my PS4 is on, I get a black screen. If it's turned off, then the projector boots up just fine. Anyone else have this issue?

Cinema-8 Build

Rotel RMB-1075 5 Channel Amplifier FOR SALE
HSU VTF-15H Subwoofer FOR SALE
post #9176 of 9176 Unread Today, 01:58 PM

Almost made it to 1000 hours...

Well it looks like my 8350 just bit it, ironically it was while I was shutting it off after the Super Bowl! I was changing it from Living Room back to Cinema, it made an awful noise, an error message came up about color filter or color something and the display was "off color." I turned it off and now it won't come on. When I press power it makes this noise and the lamp never comes on.

First question, what is the noise the projector always makes when it turns on and when switching between modes? It sounds like some sort of motor. I think that is the problem. I don't use the auto iris and I already had that fixed, plus it looks like it's working fine at the moment. The part that makes me upset is whatever motor that is has sounded off since I got the unit and I should've returned it. When I had it in for iris repair I mentioned the motor and they didn't do anything about it.

Any ides? It's 4 years old with almost 1000 hours, I'm dreading what the repair cost might be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350