The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread - Page 307 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 31Likes

post #9181 of 9208 Old 03-28-2016, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don't want to sound like a tool, but I've tried searching to no avail. Does someone have a 8350 setup guide out there? Something that properly explains all the picture options? I see a lot of options but no idea how they actually work when trying to calibrate my projector.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9182 of 9208 Old 03-29-2016, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmulousTrigger View Post
Don't want to sound like a tool, but I've tried searching to no avail. Does someone have a 8350 setup guide out there? Something that properly explains all the picture options? I see a lot of options but no idea how they actually work when trying to calibrate my projector.

Cheers!
https://files.support.epson.com/pdf/.../plhc87uug.pdf

LET'S GO HOKIES
post #9183 of 9208 Old 04-03-2016, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Replacement Lamps

I meant to update this a long time ago, 2540 hours ago to be exact. That's how many hours I got from the the last sub $30 lamp I got from Amazon. I noticed it starting to dim slightly, so for $20.80 I bought another. I put it in last Thursday night, and it's been working great. This one is listed as being "by KCL".

I use my projector like a TV, it racks up hours quickly. I've tried the "Genie" lamps, and the lamps that advertise "genuine Osram" bulbs. The lamp with the Osram bulb was the most expensive by far (around $150) and one of the worse. The colors of the projector were way off. If I displayed an all white screen, the image went from red tinges on the left to blue tinges on the right. I see this seller is no longer on Amazon.

Anyway, I was very satisfied with my last bulb, and so far, the new bulb from the same seller is performing great. When displaying an all white screen, it's truly white, from side to side, and corner to corner.
post #9184 of 9208 Old 04-04-2016, 01:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post
I meant to update this a long time ago, 2540 hours ago to be exact. That's how many hours I got from the the last sub $30 lamp I got from Amazon. I noticed it starting to dim slightly, so for $20.80 I bought another. I put it in last Thursday night, and it's been working great. This one is listed as being "by KCL".

I use my projector like a TV, it racks up hours quickly. I've tried the "Genie" lamps, and the lamps that advertise "genuine Osram" bulbs. The lamp with the Osram bulb was the most expensive by far (around $150) and one of the worse. The colors of the projector were way off. If I displayed an all white screen, the image went from red tinges on the left to blue tinges on the right. I see this seller is no longer on Amazon.

Anyway, I was very satisfied with my last bulb, and so far, the new bulb from the same seller is performing great. When displaying an all white screen, it's truly white, from side to side, and corner to corner.

Thanks for posting this.

I bought my 8350 new in 2011 and I'm still on my first bulb (currently 1108 hours) . I'm pretty anal about OEM parts and after reading some of the posts I have read about lame knock-off bulbs, I'll likely just get one straight from Epson. It would be great if it lasts like this original one has.

However, your post is good info and now I might get brave enough to try one. Do you have an exact Amazon URL-Link?

Living Room Home-Theater:
Epson 8350 1080p Projector (96") / Panasonic TH-46pz850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR-Amplifier (7.2ch ~ HDMI ~ 630 watts)
AppleTV-4 / Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-Ray Disc Player / Cisco 8742hdc DVR (TWC)
Harmony 670 Remote / HTPC (Kodi/Win7-64) Media Server PC / Synology 12tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / PSW505 12-Inch Sub

Last edited by Tesla1856; 04-04-2016 at 01:58 AM.
post #9185 of 9208 Old 04-04-2016, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Yes, Link will help.

According to Epson's site the bulb has the product code: ELPLP49 or V13H010L49
Reference: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/P...egory=Products

On Amazon if I search for ELPLP49,
KCL product is http://www.amazon.com/EPSON-ELPLP49-...dp/B007CJQ588/ priced currently at $20.80
Its Sold by PLC Star and Fulfilled by Amazon.

I also see this product listed as "by Epson"
http://www.amazon.com/Guaranteed-Eps.../dp/B00ODI04FQ for $29.61
Ships from and sold by Exclusivebulbs.

Not sure which one to buy.
post #9186 of 9208 Old 04-07-2016, 02:14 PM

Really struggling with my purchase of an Epson 8350. Has less than 100 hours on it in three years due to usage in bonus room versus our den.

After having the original purchase replaced due to defective HDMI inputs. I now have a newer unit and it just started flashing both warning lights (temp and bulb) simultaneously. Epson is telling me to take a hike due to it being a year out of warranty, even though its been replaced once. I've already contacted the BBB of Cali. to open a complaint.

Anyone have any idea what this error is? Nothing works. It turns on, no light illumination at all, fan cranks up and then the lights start flashing and everything else ceases operation. Every time I've needed this projector it lets me down, most recently when I had people over for the Final Four NCAA Tourney.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for anything.
post #9187 of 9208 Old 04-11-2016, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post
Thanks for posting this.

I bought my 8350 new in 2011 and I'm still on my first bulb (currently 1108 hours) . I'm pretty anal about OEM parts and after reading some of the posts I have read about lame knock-off bulbs, I'll likely just get one straight from Epson. It would be great if it lasts like this original one has.

However, your post is good info and now I might get brave enough to try one. Do you have an exact Amazon URL-Link?
I apologize, I got busy and didn't check back on my post. This is the link for the bulb I got at Amazon. It's still going good, no complaints... http://smile.amazon.com/EPSON-ELPLP4...ilpage_o04_s00
DrewB, M.T.Nest and Tesla1856 like this.
post #9188 of 9208 Old 04-25-2016, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ir8pir8 View Post
Really struggling with my purchase of an Epson 8350. Has less than 100 hours on it in three years due to usage in bonus room versus our den.

After having the original purchase replaced due to defective HDMI inputs. I now have a newer unit and it just started flashing both warning lights (temp and bulb) simultaneously. Epson is telling me to take a hike due to it being a year out of warranty, even though its been replaced once. I've already contacted the BBB of Cali. to open a complaint.

Anyone have any idea what this error is? Nothing works. It turns on, no light illumination at all, fan cranks up and then the lights start flashing and everything else ceases operation. Every time I've needed this projector it lets me down, most recently when I had people over for the Final Four NCAA Tourney.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for anything.

Could be a defective bulb. You should consider trying one from Amazon for less than <$30.
post #9189 of 9208 Old 05-02-2016, 10:32 AM

Liked: 11
I was inspired by this thread to buy the $20 bulb mentioned above; my 8350 has about 1500 hours on the original bulb, which also includes 2 power failures (gulp). The $20 bulb had about the same brightness and color as the original it replaced, it seems - but it also had a noticeable rhythmic hum to it - every second or two a faint 'beep' sort of noise. The projector is right over the seating area - if it was just a few feet further away, it would probably not be noticeable. I put the original bulb back in, no noise - and now I have a perfectly acceptable backup bulb for $20 - money well spent. When the brightness dims just a little more I may cough up the dough for an OEM bulb, but in the meantime, I feel pretty good about having a backup bulb!

post #9190 of 9208 Old 05-03-2016, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 285
^^^ Hmmm... Failed a brightness test and has an audible noise when used. A back-handed recommendation to be sure.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #9191 of 9208 Old 05-03-2016, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Temp Light Flashing - SOLVED

I bought my 8350 from BestBuy in 2011. Never had a problem with it. I'm still on original bulb with about 1200 hours on it.

Last night when we turned it on, the TEMP light started flashing as it warmed up. Main bulb turns off (loss of picture) within a few seconds, and all fans run at 100% for a while until it shuts-down completely. Only a power-cycle gets it going again, but same cycle repeats.

I cleaned the (original) filter with air-compressor ... a little dusty but no help.

I vacuumed the outside and then I opened it up. Took some pics with my phone for wiring and parts reference. It looked clean inside.

It looks like there are 4 fans inside. I think they are Intake, Bulb, Power-Supply, and Exhaust. Not all are easy to get to or even see/inspect. I think they are all "3-wire" (with tach) so the motherboard should be able to tell if they are spinning or not.
I found the large final exhaust fan in front (just inside the projector's front exhaust port) a little hard to turn and a bit dusty. I cleaned it better and put 1/2 drop of silicone-oil on the axle-tip (appeared to maybe be a rotation-point). With my finger, it now spins better and now has the springy magnet "computer fan" feel to it again.

Reassembled and it works fine now.

Just thought you all might like to know. It seems that if the 8350 detects a malfunction with any of the 4 fans, it shuts down and flashes the "Temperature" light ... presumably to prevent damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1544.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	1422810   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1547.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	1422818  
M.T.Nest likes this.

Harmony 670 Remote / HTPC (Kodi/Win7-64) Media Server PC / Synology 12tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / PSW505 12-Inch Sub

Last edited by Tesla1856; 05-04-2016 at 12:36 PM.
post #9192 of 9208 Old 05-04-2016, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Finally!

After almost a year, I've finally got my second hand 8350 mounted and running.

I still need to adjust the image settings to optimize them to our theater room, but I wanted to thank MississippiMan and other experts on here who have provided so much great information.

This thread not only helped me to be more confident in buying this used projector, but also provides tons of set up and troubleshooting info.

Thanks!
Kevin
post #9193 of 9208 Old 05-13-2016, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My fans have been buzzing for a while and from experience with computer fans they shouldn't be good for much longer. I found an exploded view pdf on epsons site and there are three blower type fans and one standard computer style fan. I need to figure out which fans are making the noise and then find a place where I can get replacements.

Quote:
I bought my 8350 from BestBuy in 2011. Never had a problem with it. I'm still on original bulb with about 1200 hours on it.

Last night when we turned it on, the TEMP light started flashing as it warmed up. Main bulb turns off (loss of picture) within a few seconds, and all fans run at 100% for a while until it shuts-down completely. Only a power-cycle gets it going again, but same cycle repeats.

I cleaned the (original) filter with air-compressor ... a little dusty but no help.

I vacuumed the outside and then I opened it up. Took some pics with my phone for wiring and parts reference. It looked clean inside.

It looks like there are 4 fans inside. I think they are Intake, Bulb, Power-Supply, and Exhaust. Not all are easy to get to or even see/inspect. I think they are all "3-wire" (with tach) so the motherboard should be able to tell if they are spinning or not.
I found the large final exhaust fan in front (just inside the projector's front exhaust port) a little hard to turn and a bit dusty. I cleaned it better and put 1/2 drop of silicone-oil on the axle-tip (appeared to maybe be a rotation-point). With my finger, it now spins better and now has the springy magnet "computer fan" feel to it again.

Reassembled and it works fine now.

Just thought you all might like to know. It seems that if the 8350 detects a malfunction with any of the 4 fans, it shuts down and flashes the "Temperature" light ... presumably to prevent damage.
post #9194 of 9208 Old 05-13-2016, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach250 View Post
My fans have been buzzing for a while and from experience with computer fans they shouldn't be good for much longer. I found an exploded view pdf on epsons site and there are three blower type fans and one standard computer style fan. I need to figure out which fans are making the noise and then find a place where I can get replacements.

Yes, you should check them. Sometimes, just cleaning them helps (makes blades lighter). If you can easily reach bearing or axle, a drop of silicone oil helps. I've seen these simple procedures extend the life of fans in computer and AV-gear for years.

Can you post exploded diagram of 8350 or provide URL link? I searched Internet for Epson 8350 Service Manual, but could never find one.

Also, vacuum-away dust as you go. Try not to blow existing dust further into optics or light path. Never touch actual optics, lenses, or glass bulb with your finger.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 05-13-2016 at 11:44 AM.
post #9195 of 9208 Old 06-21-2016, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey folks,

At some point I changed some setting that then caused the projector to make a strange noise, like a motorized adjustment was happening, any time I switched from an HD cable channel or Blu ray to a standard definition cable channel. I think the fan would also seped up when goung to the standard def channel. I tried backtracking to figure out what it was I changed to cause this, to no avail. I finally reset the projector, and restored those setting I know I had changed, and whatever it was no longer happens.

Can anybody shed some light on what it was I was hearing, and what setting it might be that would have caused the projector to do this?

Mark
Hard work never killed anyone, but why take the chance?
My stuff: Denon X4100W avr, Motorola DCX3400-M cable box, Samsung BD-H5100 blu-ray, AudioSource AMP 100 2ch amp, Pioneer SP-PK52FS 5.1 + 2 extra bookshelf + 4 Onkyo atmos enabled SKH-410 speakers, Epson 8350 projector.
post #9196 of 9208 Old 06-21-2016, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildswing View Post
Hey folks,

At some point I changed some setting that then caused the projector to make a strange noise, like a motorized adjustment was happening, any time I switched from an HD cable channel or Blu ray to a standard definition cable channel. I think the fan would also seped up when goung to the standard def channel. I tried backtracking to figure out what it was I changed to cause this, to no avail. I finally reset the projector, and restored those setting I know I had changed, and whatever it was no longer happens.

Can anybody shed some light on what it was I was hearing, and what setting it might be that would have caused the projector to do this?
It sounds like you enabled the dynamic iris on the projector that will have a similar sound when enabled (which is normal and nothing to worry about).
post #9197 of 9208 Old 06-22-2016, 01:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hey folks,

Switching Color Modes also makes a motor sound, but can't say I've ever seen it do it on its own, or while changing channels.

post #9198 of 9208 Old 06-23-2016, 04:56 PM

Thanks for the replies guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
It sounds like you enabled the dynamic iris on the projector that will have a similar sound when enabled (which is normal and nothing to worry about).
I'm pretty sure it wasn't on. I tested it with auto iris on today. No noise.

Quote:
Switching Color Modes also makes a motor sound, but can't say I've ever seen it do it on its own, or while changing channels.
I tried a couple different color modes today. No noise.

Still stumped.

Mark
My stuff: Denon X4100W avr, Motorola DCX3400-M cable box, Samsung BD-H5100 blu-ray, AudioSource AMP 100 2ch amp, Pioneer SP-PK52FS 5.1 + 2 extra bookshelf + 4 Onkyo atmos enabled SKH-410 speakers, Epson 8350 projector.
post #9199 of 9208 Old 06-25-2016, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tried a couple different color modes today. No noise.

Hmm, maybe you are right about no-noise during Color-Mode Changes.

Actually, I change Color Modes by loading Saved Preset Profiles 1-3 (with my Harmony) ... named Day, Dusk, and Night. I likely have other differences in those Saved Presets, like maybe a switch between Normal and ECO brightness.

post #9200 of 9208 Old 06-26-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Hmm, maybe you are right about no-noise during Color-Mode Changes...
I've tried a bunch of things but still no noise. It makes that same noise when it starts up. Kinda of a whirring servo noise. Oh well. I may just remain a mystery.

Mark
post #9201 of 9208 Old 07-01-2016, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm about to buy a secondhand 8350 / tw3200 for $350, with only 229 hours of lamp use. I would be okay with spending $680 on a new 2040 / tw5210 but the lens shift and wide zoom range just seems immensely convenient. Anything in particular I should watch out for when I go to inspect it?
post #9202 of 9208 Old 07-08-2016, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
anybody find a good solution for the dust globs?
post #9203 of 9208 Old 07-08-2016, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiterfish View Post
anybody find a good solution for the dust globs?

Keeping them out in the first place, or ...

cleaning them out once they get inside and are affecting picture. Which problem?

post #9204 of 9208 Old 08-04-2016, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Exclamation Fans during normal startup/shutdown

I don't recall exactly how old my 8350 is, 4 or 5 years. The lamp has nearly 3000 hours on it and appears to be going strong. I ordered a replacement as I fear the end is near. But, I'm worried about my fans. I recall over the last 5-ish years that during startup and shutdown the fans would kick into high for at least a few seconds or minutes on shutdown. Recently, my kids were using the PJ and it started complaining (on screen) about the projector overheating. I cleaned the filter (hadn't been done in some time... oops) and the message has not returned. However, when the projector starts up or shuts down, I never hear that satisfying high-gear fan noise. While it's running, I can definitely hear some fan noise, but it's eerily quiet.

My question is, if the fans are failing, why does the projector not report the problem and shut down, like in the detailed posts from Protonus here? Does anyone know which fans are supposed to kick into high during power up/down? All of them?

Built on a tight budget: The Cheap Seats Cinema
post #9205 of 9208 Old 08-04-2016, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonS View Post
I don't recall exactly how old my 8350 is, 4 or 5 years. The lamp has nearly 3000 hours on it and appears to be going strong. I ordered a replacement as I fear the end is near. But, I'm worried about my fans. I recall over the last 5-ish years that during startup and shutdown the fans would kick into high for at least a few seconds or minutes on shutdown. Recently, my kids were using the PJ and it started complaining (on screen) about the projector overheating. I cleaned the filter (hadn't been done in some time... oops) and the message has not returned. However, when the projector starts up or shuts down, I never hear that satisfying high-gear fan noise. While it's running, I can definitely hear some fan noise, but it's eerily quiet.

My question is, if the fans are failing, why does the projector not report the problem and shut down, like in the detailed posts from Protonus here? Does anyone know which fans are supposed to kick into high during power up/down? All of them?

Knowing what I know now, Protonus' first problem was one of his main fans was not turning. See top of this page ... I had the same Temp-Shut-Down problem. Cleaning and carefully lubing the fan-bearing un-seized it. Working fine since.

According to my trouble-shooting ... if ANY of the main (4?) fans are not turning at power-up, it will auto-protect itself and engage TEMP shut-down. So, yes ... "all of them".

Sometimes, if the fan blades are just a bit dirty, it can really slow them down. This might be why yours sounds different now. Also, sometimes bearings in extreme conditions must have a bit of lube to run at full speed again.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 08-04-2016 at 12:18 PM.
post #9206 of 9208 Old Yesterday, 08:38 PM

Can someone who's successfully gotten the dust blobs out of their 8350 projector tell me where to spray my canned air? I've taken mine apart three times now and sprayed it and the green dust blobs are still there. Green dust blobs mean spray the green ribbon right? I've attacked that thing from every angle and on both ends of where it attaches to things and the dust blobs haven't changed in the slightest.
post #9207 of 9208 Old Today, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowkae View Post
Can someone who's successfully gotten the dust blobs out of their 8350 projector tell me where to spray my canned air? I've taken mine apart three times now and sprayed it and the green dust blobs are still there. Green dust blobs mean spray the green ribbon right? I've attacked that thing from every angle and on both ends of where it attaches to things and the dust blobs haven't changed in the slightest.

Are you following the detailed "optics path air-cleaning" directions and pics that a helpful user posted a few pages back?

post #9208 of 9208 Old Today, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Are you following the detailed "optics path air-cleaning" directions and pics that a helpful user posted a few pages back?
Assuming you're referring to xccxxx's post (Post #7218) , yes that's the one I followed. If someone else has more detailed instructions, please point me to them. I've opened mine four times now and my dust blobs haven't gone away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page