post #901 of 8747 Old 10-26-2010, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk2 View Post

What is the diagonal size or your screen and what is the distance of your projector from it?

11FT DIAGONAL 12 FOOT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JVC RS1. I sell these projectors
and the 8350 is a steal. Pixel structure wise the Epson looks best at 10ft diagonal
from my distance.

Specialize in maximizing performance on a beer budget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 8747 Old 10-26-2010, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1292 View Post

and the 8350 is a steal. Pixel structure wise the Epson looks best at 10ft diagonal
from my distance.

I love a good 1.1 to 1 Distance-to-Width ratio. IMAX territory.
Immerse me, baby!

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #903 of 8747 Old 10-26-2010, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

I love a good 1.1 to 1 Distance-to-Width ratio. IMAX territory.
Immerse me, baby!

I have been debating whether or not to get a 120" screen (alternative is 106") for my near future 8350 purchase. Seating will be 12-15 ft back. I was afraid it might be too big, but I like immersion too. Thanks for your opinion. It makes me lean towards the 120" more, but another problem is that the projector has to be mounted fairly low and at 13 ft.
I'm concerned that standing up in the seating area will block the picture significantly at 120". A pity because I also intended to have an HD Wii equivalent there one day.
post #904 of 8747 Old 10-26-2010, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1292 View Post

from my distance.

I just ordered one. I have a 92" Da-Lite Matte white on which I will be projecting from 17'. I will be watching at night but I have white walls and ceiling (ceiling is at 10' and top of screen is at about 6'6"). My back wall is a half wall so probably won't get much reflection from kitchen cabinets etc from about 38' away. I am concerned about the reflection from ceiling, light carpet, and sidewalls.

Two questions: Should eco mode in cinema be bright enough for movies at night? If I were to buy a 92" Da-lite high power @ 2.8 gain to reject light from walls/floor/ceiling would I fry my retinas? The reason I use the Da-lite B 92" is because it fits my setup exactly.

Leon
post #905 of 8747 Old 10-26-2010, 11:54 PM

Hey, guys! Just an update. The projector is mounted. Looks great, however, all is not perfect. There are a few issues that are of concern to me.

As this is my third projector, I've had a 16:9 screen for awhile. It's a great screen I've made myself and the first two (DLP) projectors fit it perfectly, down to the last bit of fabric. Now, the Epson cannot seem to fit the screen, and the image is slightly pillarboxed on the left and right by a few inches. Vertically, it is fine, however.

Has anyone else had this issue? Should I send it back?-- because it seems to fall a bit short of 16:9.
post #906 of 8747 Old 10-27-2010, 03:26 AM

Quote:

Yes....and:
  • Sharper Image (vs Panny's SmoothScreen)
  • Better Color "out of the Box" and in the brightest Modes.
  • More brightness by a leap.
  • Longer Focal length
  • Longer bulb Life
  • It's in Production, and less expensive by almost $900.00 than it's current Panny counterpart.

Not "Huge" but more than enough to justify choosing it over the newer Panny

Yes all good points. It's great in its dynamic mode, far brighter and more accurate than what the AE2000 could do.
post #907 of 8747 Old 10-27-2010, 05:20 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrandir28 View Post

Hey, guys! Just an update. The projector is mounted. Looks great, however, all is not perfect. There are a few issues that are of concern to me.

As this is my third projector, I've had a 16:9 screen for awhile. It's a great screen I've made myself and the first two (DLP) projectors fit it perfectly, down to the last bit of fabric. Now, the Epson cannot seem to fit the screen, and the image is slightly pillarboxed on the left and right by a few inches. Vertically, it is fine, however.

Has anyone else had this issue? Should I send it back?-- because it seems to fall a bit short of 16:9.

The epson should fit any size screen with it specs and len shift ect.You just have something wrong.You made your screen the wrong size'or your placement is wrong or something.
post #908 of 8747 Old 10-27-2010, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahead View Post

The epson should fit any size screen with it specs and len shift ect.You just have something wrong.You made your screen the wrong size'or your placement is wrong or something.

No, he is saying that his projector is displaying a 15:9 image instead of a 16:9 image.

All I can say is that my projector is a perfect fit on a commercial 16:9 screen.
post #909 of 8747 Old 10-27-2010, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrandir28 View Post

How much R & L space is there. 1 inch/ more...less?

Keep in mind that setting the Pj for formatting within a Screen's border using the start up screen can leave you short during actual content. Things vary...especially between PJs with different lenses.

I've encountered that issue before switching from DLP to LCD...and even between different DLPs and different LCDs as well. Do enough of 'em and you'll see all sorts of small irregularities.

But nothing I've encountered could not be accommodated by use of a tiny bit of Over Scan...Zoom... and/or the masking provided by a Good Velvet border.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #910 of 8747 Old 10-27-2010, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post

I have been debating whether or not to get a 120" screen (alternative is 106") for my near future 8350 purchase. Seating will be 12-15 ft back. I was afraid it might be too big, but I like immersion too. Thanks for your opinion. It makes me lean towards the 120" more, but another problem is that the projector has to be mounted fairly low and at 13 ft.
I'm concerned that standing up in the seating area will block the picture significantly at 120". A pity because I also intended to have an HD Wii equivalent there one day.

Has someone confirmed that you can get 120" from 13ft away?

If possible, get the projector first and project a 120" screen on the wall in which the screen will be placed and watch some scenes from a movie.

I went from 100" to 117" and sit about 12ft away and it's about perfect for my personal taste.
A 120" was just a little to big for my personal taste so I had a custom 117" screen made.

Also keep in mind the most movies will not be 16:9 and fill the entire screen so the entire screen will not be filled and have about 10 inches of black bars above and below the picture.

post #911 of 8747 Old 10-27-2010, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
1080 UB is a better projector for less money.

a refurb... but with a 2 year warranty.

so why would anybody want a projector with significantly less black levels is beyond me... unless you get a major discount on the 8350, the 1080UB is a better bang for the buck.
post #912 of 8747 Old 10-27-2010, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

Has someone confirmed that you can get 120" from 13ft away?

If possible, get the projector first and project a 120" screen on the wall in which the screen will be placed and watch some scenes from a movie.

I went from 100" to 117" and sit about 12ft away and it's about perfect for my personal taste.
A 120" was just a little to big for my personal taste so I had a custom 117" screen made.

Also keep in mind the most movies will not be 16:9 and fill the entire screen so the entire screen will not be filled and have about 10 inches of black bars above and below the picture.

Really? 3" was just too big eh?

Confirmed 120" at 13'? You can go as low as 11'9" according to the calculator. 13' shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newk2 View Post

I just ordered one. I have a 92" Da-Lite Matte white on which I will be projecting from 17'.

Why so small? Is your seating area real close?

The Truth IS out there!
post #913 of 8747 Old 10-27-2010, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyTV View Post

1080 UB is a better projector for less money.

a refurb... but with a 2 year warranty.

so why would anybody want a projector with significantly less black levels is beyond me... unless you get a major discount on the 8350, the 1080UB is a better bang for the buck.

Yeah? Sez who?

Not even. Far less bright...the panels will deteriorate (...and they might not/most likely were not replaced...) ...and it does not equal the 8350 in color correctness. The 1080ub also had /has the same 50K:1 dynamic contrast, but only with significantly less lumens. and the Iris is much noisier and slower too.

Tit for tat-ing over used @ under 1k vs New at $1100.00 is pretty redundant when the advantages and upgrades on the newer PJ are so many, and there is a Warranty-length bulb replacement...something which BTW is not offered with the Refurb and Bulb issues were a major pain with the 1080ub.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #914 of 8747 Old 10-27-2010, 08:58 AM
DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdman View Post

I sent an email to HHgreg customer service and got this....For all you SOB"s that got this price... I hate you. I don't have one of these stores around on the west coast.

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your inquiry. We appreciate your interest.

We are often able to offer lower prices in the store than online, due to our contract with manufacturers. Manufacturers will often impose a lower limit on our pricing online. We cannot go beneath this floor.

The Epson HC8350 is in the television section of our website, but is not considered to be a television. These are projectors. At this time, the unit is selling in our stores for $1199.97.

At the time you saw the ad, the price of the unit may well have been 20% off the SRP, but at this time, the ad has expired and we are unable to verify.

If you are still interested in this unit, please visit your local store in the next week, and bring a copy of this email. If the unit was on sale for 20% off SRP, the store managers will be happy to honor the sale price for you, as a one time offer.

This offer will remain open through Sunday, October 31st, 2010.

Anyone want to print out my email and ship me a unit? haaha

------------------

I'd like to go buy one at the NJ store, which is like 50 miles from NYC. Anyone else in the area want to see if we can still get the 20% off deal and pick it up on Saturday?
post #915 of 8747 Old 10-27-2010, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

thanks for posting this because I almost bought a 1080UB.

overall color accuracy is more important than black levels.

I was also looking at the HC 720 because of the refurb price.

sorry for jumping to conclusions

I wonder how the 8350 would compare to the HC720's black levels... about the same?

Quote:

Yeah? Sez who?

Not even. Far less bright...the panels will deteriorate (...and they might not/most likely were not replaced...) ...and it does not equal the 8350 in color correctness. The 1080ub also had /has the same 50K:1 dynamic contrast, but only with significantly less lumens. and the Iris is much noisier and slower too.

Tit for tat-ing over used @ under 1k vs New at $1100.00 is pretty redundant when the advantages and upgrades on the newer PJ are so many, and there is a Warranty-length bulb replacement...something which BTW is not offered with the Refurb and Bulb issues were a major pain with the 1080ub.

post #916 of 8747 Old 10-27-2010, 09:18 AM

I've been a lurker for quite sometime since I've been wanting to jump into the HD realm but have been on the fence. So, I finally made the leap into HD this past weekend and took advantage of the HHGregg offer.

I've been reading this forum and doing some online research and have a list of questions which I'd appreciate answers for before I start accessorizing the projector Please forgive me if some of these seem rudimentary:

-Since I have a rather sizeable collection of standard definition DVDs - and many are imported foreign films which won't see a Blu-ray release anytime soon - Upscaling is a critical component for me. I know most Blu-ray players have an upscaling capability but was wondering if something like an Oppo Blu-ray player will offer a dramatic improvement in upscaling vs a sub-$200 player from Samsung or Sony?

-I was at the Da-lite website researching screen types and materials. I noticed that their Matte White has a 1.0 gain and their High-Contrast Matte White has a 1.1 gain. Does 0.1 really make that much of a difference in the quality of the image projected? Will a 1.5 gain be excessive in a dark room/night viewing and cause my eyeballs to melt or make for an uncomfortable viewing?

-Is 110" diagonal screen the optimal size to use with this projector? Would I lose sharpness/contrast, black, etc by going to 120"? Does a high gain screen help when projecting a larger image?

-Haven't heard anyone mention pull-down or motorized screens. Are they not recommended because they're not affixed to a flat surface? Anybody have any experience with them and can provide input?

-Will using HDMI 1.4 vs. 1.3 provide a significant improvement in the image projected?

And just to pre-empt the usual questions, I will be using the projector for movie viewing mostly and occasionally sports during the day. I have a partially-controlled ambient light during the day. the depth of my Family Room is 17 feet.

My apologies for the long-winded post.....and thanks for all the useful information provided thus far.

Cheers!
post #917 of 8747 Old 10-27-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-bo View Post

Really? 3" was just too big eh?

Confirmed 120" at 13'? You can go as low as 11'9" according to the calculator. 13' shouldn't be a problem.

Why so small? Is your seating area real close?

9', but as I said before, The reason I use the Da-lite B 92" is because it fits my setup exactly.

Leon
post #918 of 8747 Old 10-27-2010, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Another consideration before I seriously look into getting this PJ. I have a Yamaha RX-V2600 which is great....but will only pass 1080i via HDMI. My PS3 of course can send BR 1080P. Will there be a noticeable picture difference if I feed 1080i to the PJ and have it do the progressive scan to 1080P. Screen is 118".

post #919 of 8747 Old 10-27-2010, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaguy28 View Post

I've been a lurker for quite sometime since I've been wanting to jump into the HD realm but have been on the fence. So, I finally made the leap into HD this past weekend and took advantage of the HHGregg offer.

I've been reading this forum and doing some online research and have a list of questions which I'd appreciate answers for before I start accessorizing the projector Please forgive me if some of these seem rudimentary:

-Since I have a rather sizeable collection of standard definition DVDs - and many are imported foreign films which won't see a Blu-ray release anytime soon - Upscaling is a critical component for me. I know most Blu-ray players have an upscaling capability but was wondering if something like an Oppo Blu-ray player will offer a dramatic improvement in upscaling vs a sub-$200 player from Samsung or Sony?

-I was at the Da-lite website researching screen types and materials. I noticed that their Matte White has a 1.0 gain and their High-Contrast Matte White has a 1.1 gain. Does 0.1 really make that much of a difference in the quality of the image projected? Will a 1.5 gain be excessive in a dark room/night viewing and cause my eyeballs to melt or make for an uncomfortable viewing?

-Is 110" diagonal screen the optimal size to use with this projector? Would I lose sharpness/contrast, black, etc by going to 120"? Does a high gain screen help when projecting a larger image?

-Haven't heard anyone mention pull-down or motorized screens. Are they not recommended because they're not affixed to a flat surface? Anybody have any experience with them and can provide input?

-Will using HDMI 1.4 vs. 1.3 provide a significant improvement in the image projected?

And just to pre-empt the usual questions, I will be using the projector for movie viewing mostly and occasionally sports during the day. I have a partially-controlled ambient light during the day. the depth of my Family Room is 17 feet.

My apologies for the long-winded post.....and thanks for all the useful information provided thus far.

Cheers!

If DVD playback on a big projected screen is important to you, a player such as the OPPO will make a difference (although they've discontinued their current model).
post #920 of 8747 Old 10-27-2010, 10:38 AM

I've got my 8350...just waiting to finish my drop ceiling before I put her in position. I am limited on screen height to just about 50", so I am planning on a DIY 125" 2.35 screen, with vertical masking to bring it down to a 100" 16:9 screen.

Curious if anybody else out there has a similar 2.35 setup. Of most interest to me is the screen material. I purchased some Elite screen CineWhite material for fairly cheap and will be building my own fixed frame and masks.

How is your set up?
How is it to change from 16:9 to 2.35?
Picture quality on CineWhite? Anybody?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
post #921 of 8747 Old 10-27-2010, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagopian View Post

Curious if anybody else out there has a similar 2.35 setup. Of most interest to me is the screen material. I purchased some Elite screen CineWhite material for fairly cheap and will be building my own fixed frame and masks.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...585554&page=37

post #922 of 8747 Old 10-27-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:

How much R & L space is there. 1 inch/ more...less?

Keep in mind that setting the Pj for formatting within a Screen's border using the start up screen can leave you short during actual content. Things vary...especially between PJs with different lenses.

I've encountered that issue before switching from DLP to LCD...and even between different DLPs and different LCDs as well. Do enough of 'em and you'll see all sorts of small irregularities.

But nothing I've encountered could not be accommodated by use of a tiny bit of Over Scan...Zoom... and/or the masking provided by a Good Velvet border.

There is roughly about an inch on either side. It's certainly not a dealbreaker
as I have black masking curtains on either side, but it can be distracting.

I used "Avatar" on Blu-ray to fit it to the screen. I had to use something with the 1.78 ratio, and that was the best one to do it with.
post #923 of 8747 Old 10-27-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandawil View Post

Another consideration before I seriously look into getting this PJ. I have a Yamaha RX-V2600 which is great....but will only pass 1080i via HDMI. My PS3 of course can send BR 1080P. Will there be a noticeable picture difference if I feed 1080i to the PJ and have it do the progressive scan to 1080P. Screen is 118".

Why don't you just bypass the receiver for the video? That is what I did.
post #924 of 8747 Old 10-27-2010, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagopian View Post

I've got my 8350...just waiting to finish my drop ceiling before I put her in position. I am limited on screen height to just about 50", so I am planning on a DIY 125" 2.35 screen, with vertical masking to bring it down to a 100" 16:9 screen.

How is your set up?
How is it to change from 16:9 to 2.35?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Really interested to hear your thoughts on the CineWhite setup when you've got it done. This is the screen that I'm planning on using...

Salminella Now Better with Kinect: 360 PSN

Official member and mascot of the AVS' Xbox 360 Elite Club of Awesomeness
post #925 of 8747 Old 10-27-2010, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

From that distance 120" would be fine.

Specialize in maximizing performance on a beer budget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #926 of 8747 Old 10-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giacoman View Post

Why don't you just bypass the receiver for the video? That is what I did.

I could certainly do that, but then I would have no way of using that HDMI out of the PS3 for PCM 5.1 lossless audio. That's the only way I can get HD audio in my theater. If I used HDMI directly to the projector, I would have to use fiber TOSLINK to my receiver and lose the HD audio. So I think the only way to do this is to send the projector 1080i so my questions was if that would cause any noticeable picture degradation?

post #927 of 8747 Old 10-27-2010, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

I could certainly do that, but then I would have no way of using that HDMI out of the PS3 for PCM 5.1 lossless audio. That's the only way I can get HD audio in my theater. If I used HDMI directly to the projector, I would have to use fiber TOSLINK to my receiver and lose the HD audio. So I think the only way to do this is to send the projector 1080i so my questions was if that would cause any noticeable picture degradation?

Buy a sub-$60 HDMI splitter from Monoprice?
post #928 of 8747 Old 10-27-2010, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Buy a sub-$60 HDMI splitter from Monoprice?

Will that work? I have heard that it wouldn't since HDMI carries both audio and video and can't split the two. I would love to hear from anyone who has used that successfully....I think I need to do some searching on the forums.

post #929 of 8747 Old 10-27-2010, 01:56 PM

I don't have any calibration software of my own. Can I plug in Art's calibration numbers and get pretty close or is every projector so different that I might make it worse?
post #930 of 8747 Old 10-27-2010, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Will that work? I have heard that it wouldn't since HDMI carries both audio and video and can't split the two. I would love to hear from anyone who has used that successfully....I think I need to do some searching on the forums.

you don't split the video and audio stream, you still send both to both device's.

Your receiver won't do anything with the video, and your projector won't do anything with the audio so I don't see a conflict.

Your only annoyance is that you will have to change the input on the projector and the receiver when you want to use that component.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagel187 View Post

I don't have any calibration software of my own. Can I plug in Art's calibration numbers and get pretty close or is every projector so different that I might make it worse?

Nobody knows but you... you might put in his settings and it happens to look identical. Some people don't like neutral or natural settings and prefer some extra pop/over saturation etc. Your HT environment has an impact. Your source's can have an impact. It's ultimately going to be up to you to find settings but often you will be happy using someone else's.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page