The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread - Page 310 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 37Likes
post #9271 of 9274 Old Today, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmsam View Post

Quote:
We were away during an electrical storm earlier this week but returned home to a blown Comcast cable splitter, a Sony BDP-S390 Blu-ray player that won't power on and an Epson 8350 projector that won't recognize any HDMI inputs (but seems fine otherwise). The Square-D whole-house surge suppressor is not blown and all A/V equipment in the theater gets power through a Panamax 5100 connected to an APS Line-R 1200. The cable is connected to only the Comcast DVR in the bedroom and the modem in the study, and the Blu-ray player is connected through the router in the A/V rack, a switch and the router in the study which are all fine, so it's hard to understand how HDMI was affected if not via induction.

All other inputs work fine, but from this photo, it appears that the HDMI section is integrated on the main board, so is this worth fixing, or would I be better off spending $900 on a refurb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xccxxx View Post

Or should I switch to the component inputs?
That's exactly what I did:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapriett View Post
I guess those HDMI ports are not build to take much of a surge.

I "fixed" the problem for good by switching to component video, which looks just as good to me and cost under $200:

HDFURY Gamer 2 Component - $159.00
HDMI® | 3 RCA Component | Toslink Wall Plate - Coupler Type - $10.04
35ft 18AWG CL2 Premium 3-RCA Component Video Coaxial Cable (RG-6/U) - $21.27

I subsequently discovered that the USB section of my laser printer also bit the dust during that storm. I "fixed" that problem with a $7 USB to Centronix cable.

Retro techno?
Well, the workaround lasted three years but was not a permanent fix. The HDFury failed last year, so I replaced it with the newly available and far cheaper Portta converter, which worked equally well until earlier this week when the projector stopped recognizing the component inputs, too (I tested the converter on another TV using the same source and it still works fine). Bummer!

1. Has anyone managed to successfully repair the main board as an alternative to replacement? It should be worth fixing!

2. Has anyone discovered a way to effectively suppress damaging current induced on long runs of signal wire? The only products I have seen are suspicious in-line gadgets that lack an obvious path for dissipating the energy.

I considered buying an HDMI to VGA converter as yet another workaround, but the manual does not list 1080p as resolution supported by that input. So... I'm replacing the 8350 with a refurbished 3020 for $499, which may be a step down (it supports 3D but offers less contrast and no lens shift), but I simply can't justify spending more on components that are so susceptible to damage...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9272 of 9274 Old Today, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Lightbulb

Quote:
That's exactly what I did:

Well, the workaround lasted three years but was not a permanent fix. The HDFury failed last year, so I replaced it with the newly available and far cheaper Portta converter, which worked equally well until earlier this week when the projector stopped recognizing the component inputs, too (I tested the converter on another TV using the same source and it still works fine). Bummer!

1. Has anyone managed to successfully repair the main board as an alternative to replacement? It should be worth fixing!

2. Has anyone discovered a way to effectively suppress damaging current induced on long runs of signal wire? The only products I have seen are suspicious in-line gadgets that lack an obvious path for dissipating the energy.

3. I considered buying an HDMI to VGA converter as yet another workaround, but the manual does not list 1080p as resolution supported by that input.
4. So... I'm replacing the 8350 with a refurbished 3020 for $499, which may be a step down (it supports 3D but offers less contrast and no lens shift), but I simply can't justify spending more on components that are so susceptible to damage...
That's crazy it blew back then, even with a "whole house suppressor".

1. No, but it would be like board level repair on anything else. However, I think it would be easier to pickup a 8350 (cheap) one with optical engine problems (ie beyond repair), and just swap the logic board.

2. I've seen some APC-UPS units with Coax protection, but never tried it. Are you sure it was another surge? Once board is damaged, it can fail completely at any time (doesn't even need a reason).

3. No, I don't think VGA can go up to 1080p, but would be easy enough to check.

4. Oh, so you have a solution. Are you sure everything is wired right, and house and outlets have a good ground? Cable box should be grounded also.

Living Room Home-Theater:
Epson 8350 Projector (1080p @ 96") / Panasonic 850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR (7.2ch ~ HDMI ~ wrat-Amp 630 watts )
AppleTV-4 / Panasonic dmp-BD60 Blu-Ray Disc Player / Cisco 8742hdc DVR (TWC)
Harmony 670 Remote / HTPC (Kodi/Win10-64) Media Server PC / Synology 12tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / psw-505 12-Inch Sub
post #9273 of 9274 Old Today, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Everything is wired correctly, and both the electrical and cable circuits are protected, hence the induction hypothesis supported by the article I referenced above from which the following is excerpted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prentiss Gray
Because everything was fully protected by two independent surge suppressors, the damage probably came from a surge picked up by the cables themselves, induced by the powerful electromagnetic field of the lightning. Longer wires make better antennas for that kind of energy, so shorter is always better.

PS. Lightning rods might have saved the planter and the cilantro, but probably not the equipment. Channeling that kind of energy around your house is likely to create even more havoc with the more delicate electronics. We’ll need a whole-house Faraday cage to be completely protected. Now there’s an idea………..

I would like to hear the experience of those who have pursued a "board level repair!"

post #9274 of 9274 Unread Today, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Can anyone offer advice on this?

I'm trying to help my parents fix / troubleshoot this from halfway across the country. I'm in Utah and my parents are in IL.

At first I thought this was a HDMI cable issue so they swapped in a brand new HDMI cable to the projector from the receiver. That didn't fix it. From there, I had them directly plug things into the HDMI slots on the projector and this is the only thing that will be displayed, which is exactly what it did when everything ran through the receiver, so I ruled the cable and receiver out as issues.

A giant blue image with this text. I'm at a loss trying to help them and my steps have led me to believe it is an issue with the projector itself.

Again, not being there and trying to tell them what to press or do has been a challenge. I just want to know if it's an issue anyone knows how to resolve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_07421001.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	2201689  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version