1Likes

post #121 of 8769 Old 10-04-2010, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by foofoobar View Post

Apologies if someone already posted this, but here's a rave review of the PJ with an Editor's choice award to boot. Apparently, it's bound give the AE4000 a lot to think about:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/epso...tor_review.htm

Great review, now I am more excited than ever to receive my 8350! Especially since this glowing review came from PC (which has been called biased towards Panasonic before).

Also interesting was that Evan measured the dynamic mode lumen output as less than the 8100 (1507 versus mid 1700s), even though the specs give it a 200 lumen edge. Anyone know why this might be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 8769 Old 10-04-2010, 07:03 PM

I was hoping that this would show up on Amazon for Prime and Amazon's return policy, but no such luck yet. I'm getting impatient, so may just pull the trigger here soon. Having never purchased a PJ, is there a preference on Projector People vs Visual Apex?

For those buying the Chief mount, is the RPA-U the same as the RPA 168 mentioned by MM? I have nearly 9' ceilings, so I'm not sure I'd really care about a low profile mount - given that, is the Chief still the best option? Do people typically pair a white mount with a white PJ (interior design is not my strength, lol)?

-Shag
post #123 of 8769 Old 10-04-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shag View Post

I was hoping that this would show up on Amazon for Prime and Amazon's return policy, but no such luck yet. I'm getting impatient, so may just pull the trigger here soon. Having never purchased a PJ, is there a preference on Projector People vs Visual Apex?

For those buying the Chief mount, is the RPA-U the same as the RPA 168 mentioned by MM? I have nearly 9' ceilings, so I'm not sure I'd really care about a low profile mount - given that, is the Chief still the best option? Do people typically pair a white mount with a white PJ (interior design is not my strength, lol)?

I am refreshing the Amazon.com page 10 times a day too .
post #124 of 8769 Old 10-04-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:

Apologies if someone already posted this, but here's a rave review of the PJ with an Editor's choice award to boot. Apparently, it's bound give the AE4000 a lot to think about:

That is one great review! I can't wait to get my hands on this projector!
post #125 of 8769 Old 10-04-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

No Vao....

It has a feature that makes it work well "With the addition of" an anamorphic lens.

sorry......

Does this mean there is no point of getting a 2.35:1 screen to be used on this FP unless you buy an anamorphic lens? Can't you stretch it manually?

Thanks.
post #126 of 8769 Old 10-04-2010, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by neworder59 View Post

Does this mean there is no point of getting a 2.35:1 screen to be used on this FP unless you buy an anamorphic lens? Can't you stretch it manually?

Thanks.

You don't "stretch"...you manually Zoom out/in and Shift down/up to fill the Screen in either mode. That is what the "Lens memory" feature on the panny 4000 does automatically. You will have excess unused "over-scan in 2.35:1 Top and bottom, but if the background is dark, the PJ itself projects a lack of light that is very hard to ascertain.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #127 of 8769 Old 10-04-2010, 07:49 PM

Thanks for the quick response.
post #128 of 8769 Old 10-04-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:

I just happened to read it right after it was posted. This shouldn't be too surprising, though, since I've been scouring the internet daily in search of the first, somewhat meaty review (apologies to Art). I was beyond pleased with the review Bill did. However, I was somewhat bummed at the light output measurement he collected.

My Panny 900 has 2000+ hours on it. Since I've gotten married and moved to a new home my needs have changed. In the new place I throw the image across the living room with a decent bit of ambient light. My Panny's bulb is fading fast so instead of buying a new bulb I convinced the wife that it would be better to just get a new PJ. She's in

Anyway...Bill measured just over 1500 lumens during his review. Epson boasts that they measure the 8350's 2000 lumens with a tougher ISO standard instead of the ANSI.

What gives??? (I don't want to pull the trigger only to have my wife not trust my AV decisions...gotta set a good foundation dont'cha'know).
post #129 of 8769 Old 10-04-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shag View Post

Thumbs up for Proj People. I've done business with them since '06 and never ever had a bad experience. In fact, I've always had superior experiences with them...sales and customer service (had the same rep since my first purchase in '06). I haven't done business with Apex so can't speak to them one way or another.
post #130 of 8769 Old 10-04-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespacecowboy View Post

i've not done business with them. But my strong preference is to go with vendors I either know and trust, or one that many many ppl know and trust.

i bought my 5D Mk ii and could have saved $100 buying it from some smaller unknown NY company. But I went with a name I trusted, even though it cost me a little more.

Agreed. Proj People has always done me right and been very helpful along the way...not to say that the $1165 isn't still a little tempting
post #131 of 8769 Old 10-04-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellamojosh View Post

Agreed. Proj People has always done me right and been very helpful along the way...not to say that the $1165 isn't still a little tempting

same here for me. I just dealed with pp the first time last week. Can't be better. My rep even upgraded my shipping to a 3day shipping for free.
post #132 of 8769 Old 10-04-2010, 10:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does the lens shift allow for positioning above the top of the screen?
post #133 of 8769 Old 10-04-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegashomes View Post

sure
post #134 of 8769 Old 10-05-2010, 03:29 AM

Okay, I want to get some advice before I pull the trigger on the 8350...

I currently have an AE900 throwing a 106" into a screen 16' away. The room is a dedicated theater room, 100% light controlled, with all of the walls near the screen painted flat black. My Panny has about 1500 hours on the bulb, and the picture seems dim to me. I was contemplating a new bulb, or a new projector.

Is it safe to assume, with the Epson having almost twice the lumens as my Panny, that it will look much brighter than my Panny with a new bulb? Is 16' too far of a throw? I know it will throw a 100" image like 20', but would I be better off moving the unit closer to the screen? I could do it, but it wouldn't be easy. It's ceilin mounted over the second row of seating. I did it that way so that you would never see it in your peripheral vision while watching a movie. If the Epson will be plenty bright from that distance, then I'd rather leave it there.

I have a feeling the picture difference will be pretty dramatic between the Epaon and the Panny, I just want to make sure I am thinking about this correctly before I actually pull the trigger.

I am also using a Dalite HCCV screen, it was paired with the Panny when I bought it all from Projector People...I assume it will still be a decent match for the Epson? From what I remember, it was sort of a neutral screen choice.

Thanks,
Andy
post #135 of 8769 Old 10-05-2010, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajandrew View Post

Okay, I want to get some advice before I pull the trigger on the 8350...

I currently have an AE900 throwing a 106" into a screen 16' away. The room is a dedicated theater room, 100% light controlled, with all of the walls near the screen painted flat black. My Panny has about 1500 hours on the bulb, and the picture seems dim to me. I was contemplating a new bulb, or a new projector.

Is it safe to assume, with the Epson having almost twice the lumens as my Panny, that it will look much brighter than my Panny with a new bulb? Is 16' too far of a throw? I know it will throw a 100" image like 20', but would I be better off moving the unit closer to the screen? I could do it, but it wouldn't be easy. It's ceilin mounted over the second row of seating. I did it that way so that you would never see it in your peripheral vision while watching a movie. If the Epson will be plenty bright from that distance, then I'd rather leave it there.

I have a feeling the picture difference will be pretty dramatic between the Epaon and the Panny, I just want to make sure I am thinking about this correctly before I actually pull the trigger.

I am also using a Dalite HCCV screen, it was paired with the Panny when I bought it all from Projector People...I assume it will still be a decent match for the Epson? From what I remember, it was sort of a neutral screen choice.

Thanks,
Andy

At 16' you will be fine with the 8350, I had my 8100 ceiling mounted at 13' from my 110" screen and it was plenty bright,, (I returned my 8100 last week to get the 8350), have not ordered the 8350 yet.

As far as your AE900,,, yes, the 8350 will be a big jump in PQ over the AE900.
I had an AE900 (and all the AE's before that) I also had the AX100 and AX200 and those were very big jumps in PQ over my AE900,,,,, going from an AE900 to an Epson 8350 will be a huge jump in PQ,,, and brightness as well.

Cheers
Davyo
post #136 of 8769 Old 10-05-2010, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

At 16' you will be fine with the 8350, I had my 8100 ceiling mounted at 13' from my 110" screen and it was plenty bright,, (I returned my 8100 last week to get the 8350), have not ordered the 8350 yet.

As far as your AE900,,, yes, the 8350 will be a big jump in PQ over the AE900.
I had an AE900 (and all the AE's before that) I also had the AX100 and AX200 and those were very big jumps in PQ over my AE900,,,,, going from an AE900 to an Epson 8350 will be a huge jump in PQ,,, and brightness as well.

Cheers
Davyo

Thanks Davyo. I was actually considering the AX200, as a friend of mine bought one last year and the picture looked very good and bright, from about 15' away with ambient light. There is zero ambient light in my room, so I am hoping the 8350 will look good from 16'. I seem to remember my AE900 being brighter, so it may just be the bulb dimming. However, if I can sell my AE900 for a few hundred dollars, and then the $300 or so I save from not buying a bulb...I'd only be in the 8350 for about $600....seems like a no brainer.

Hopefully I'll be ordering the 8350 here in a couple days, need to see what my AE900 goes for.

Andy
post #137 of 8769 Old 10-05-2010, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegashomes View Post

Absolutely. The 8350's Lens Shift is capable of going 2x the screen's height from the neutral position. (.45 width Right & Left) You could watch the image on the Floor!

It's the widest adjust-ability of ANY PJ there is currently on the Market. It has the widest variable Focal Throw distance as well.

But all you really want to do is about .5 to .75 x height. More will start to rob you of increasing degrees of light output because the Light Path is less direct.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #138 of 8769 Old 10-05-2010, 06:03 AM

Has anyone with an 8350 in hand checked their lumens??? I'm really curious about the PC review that only measured 1500 in dynamic mode.

Unfortunately I need each and every lumen in the new house.
post #139 of 8769 Old 10-05-2010, 06:19 AM

Just ordered the 8350 from VA. Should arrive on Thursday. This unit will be replacing my Optoma HD20 (DLP, 4000:1, 1400 lumens). The Optoma served me well, but because of my HT arrangement, I had to place the projector on the ground. This is one reason as to why I am switching to the 8350.
post #140 of 8769 Old 10-05-2010, 06:31 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

Has anyone with an 8350 in hand checked their lumens??? I'm really curious about the PC review that only measured 1500 in dynamic mode.

Those lumen measurements (with watchable colors) are pretty high. What type of screen are you planning on using? At this price I don't think you're going to find anything in the 1080p category that's much brighter while still maintaining "decent" color balance. Maybe a couple of DLP's, but they won't have anywhere near the placement flexibility of the 8350.

1500 lumens thrown from a projector mounted near eye level on to a High Power screen will have you screaming "save my retinas!" in a semi-dark room.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #141 of 8769 Old 10-05-2010, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Those lumen measurements (with watchable colors) are pretty high. What type of screen are you planning on using? At this price I don't think you're going to find anything in the 1080p category that's much brighter while still maintaining "decent" color balance. Maybe a couple of DLP's, but they won't have anywhere near the placement flexibility of the 8350.

1500 lumens thrown from a projector mounted near eye level on to a High Power screen will have you screaming "save my retinas!" in a semi-dark room.

May sound like a dumb question, but are all lumens created equally? I've got a Panny PT-AX100U that PC rated as having 1400ish lumens in dynamic mode. I've got about 200 hours on this current bulb. It's noticibely brighter than the 2200 hour bulb it replaced, but if it's during the day, the picutre leaves something to be desired. Shooting about a 110" image on a white painted wall.

My living room doesn't have great ambient light control, so I need the extra oomph. The 8350 seems like the perfect projector for me, but I'm a little worried by the drop in lumen output.

Can anyone post their expierence with ambient light?
post #142 of 8769 Old 10-05-2010, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Listen to what sb1 said. and this as well. 1500 lumens is a absolute Light Canon. To be able to deliver that much light and still maintain anything even close to a warchable image "color-wise" is an exceptional feat.

If you need brightness, and the ability to watch in higher levels of ambient light, there are effective options in both the Mfg and DIY Screen genres.

The latter of course requires some extra effort, but up to thousands of $$$ less in expenditure.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #143 of 8769 Old 10-05-2010, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkriengsiri View Post

May sound like a dumb question, but are all lumens created equally? I've got a Panny PT-AX100U that PC rated as having 1400ish lumens in dynamic mode. I've got about 200 hours on this current bulb. It's noticeably brighter than the 2200 hour bulb it replaced, but if it's during the day, the picture leaves something to be desired. Shooting about a 110" image on a white painted wall.

My living room doesn't have great ambient light control, so I need the extra oomph. The 8350 seems like the perfect projector for me, but I'm a little worried by the drop in lumen output.

Can anyone post their experience with ambient light?

I've had a little bit of experience.

The 8350 has over 45,000 x higher Dynamic contrast. And it's rated as being brighter than the AX100u, a PJ I've dealt with many times in the past. While any ambient light will reduce the depth of blacks and the robustness of deep colors, if you start out way above your current contrast levels, obviously the reduction you'll get with ambient light will seem less than in your current situation using a PJ with such a significantly less ability to deliver appreciable Black levels.

If you continue to shoot onto a white wall in ambient light, even the 8350's performance will be less than it could / should be, but a far greater measure of "Mo Bedder" than the AX100u could ever have mustered.

You need at minimum a light Gray surface...preferably a slightly reflective one. If you cannot "go there" because you must continue using a White Wall, then work instead on trying to mitigate or reduce any ambient light that is specifically directed ONTO the screen. It does not take much reduction of such to amount to a significant improvement.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #144 of 8769 Old 10-05-2010, 07:57 AM

Just wanted to let everyone know that I pulled the trigger on that $1,165 deal at Electronics Expo (gulp). They do charge for shipping so the total was $1,193.71.

I'll let you know if I encounter any problems.
post #145 of 8769 Old 10-05-2010, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

I've had a little bit of experience.

The 8350 has over 45,000 x higher Dynamic contrast. And it's rated as being brighter than the AX100u, a PJ I've dealt with many times in the past. While any ambient light will reduce the depth of blacks and the robustness of deep colors, if you start out way above your current contrast levels, obviously the reduction you'll get with ambient light will seem less than in your current situation using a PJ with such a significantly less ability to deliver appreciable Black levels.

If you continue to shoot onto a white wall in ambient light, even the 8350's performance will be less than it could / should be, but a far greater measure of "Mo Bedder" than the AX100u could ever have mustered.

You need at minimum a light Gray surface...preferably a slightly reflective one. If you cannot "go there" because you must continue using a White Wall, then work instead on trying to mitigate or reduce any ambient light that is specifically directed ONTO the screen. It does not take much reduction of such to amount to a significant improvement.

Thanks for the great info!

I've been using the white wall for a few years now and while I know it's not ideal, it's sufficed. The tentative plan for this turkey day is to build my own screen. I've been checking out your posts on the DIY screen forum for a while now
post #146 of 8769 Old 10-05-2010, 08:15 AM

I am looking at setting up hometheater in my basement (24'X19') on the 19' feet wall. Planning to have EPSON 8350 put at the back wall, about 23-24' from the screen, with a screen size of 120" to 135". Hoping this would work given the high lumens and high contrast ratio. Any thoughts if this will/will not work? I have two windows in this area but plan to use blackout screens but still expect some ambient light.
post #147 of 8769 Old 10-05-2010, 08:33 AM

Any thoughts on whether running the projector in high altitude mode has any affect on prolonging the lamp life of the bulbs and whether there are any drawbacks of doing this?
post #148 of 8769 Old 10-05-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:

Glad you asked

I have a black widow screen painted on drywall (16:9, about 140" wide, but I don't usually use the entire 140". The color of the rest of the wall is a blueish-grey. You have to look hard to notice the black widow screen. There is no black border between the two. I know that's not ideal, but it's the comprimise I made with the wife . The PJ is placed 20' from the screen, at eye level. I cut a hole under a staircase and built a cabinet for the PJ and AV equipment. I then ran the audio cables under the house, then up the walls, and finished the holes off with plates which accept banana plugs (5.1 surround).

There are two windows to the left of the PJ. They are covered with translucent window coverings. There is a 8' opening to the right which opens to the kitchen and allows some ambient light, as well.

I've been using my Panny 900, with 2000 hours on it. The bulb has gotten pretty dim. Due to the setup none of the DLP PJ's will work (ceiling mount isn't possible).

I get that 1500 lumens is a big improvement to my old Panny. However, I'm assuming Panasonic will be coming out with their answer to the 8350 in just a few weeks. I was literally pulling the trigger on the 8350 when I read PC's review of the 8350.

If Panny has a comparable model with a sincere 2000 lumens that may make my decision a much more difficult one. SO...if someone out there has the 8350 and is actually getting closer to 2000 lumens I'd LOVE to know so I can just grab my 8350 and start enjoying it!
post #149 of 8769 Old 10-05-2010, 11:02 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

Glad you asked

I have a black widow screen painted on drywall (16:9, about 140" wide, but I don't usually use the entire 140". The color of the rest of the wall is a blueish-grey. You have to look hard to notice the black widow screen. There is no black border between the two. I know that's not ideal, but it's the comprimise I made with the wife . The PJ is placed 20' from the screen, at eye level. I cut a hole under a staircase and built a cabinet for the PJ and AV equipment. I then ran the audio cables under the house, then up the walls, and finished the holes off with plates which accept banana plugs (5.1 surround).

There are two windows to the left of the PJ. They are covered with translucent window coverings. There is a 8' opening to the right which opens to the kitchen and allows some ambient light, as well.

I've been using my Panny 900, with 2000 hours on it. The bulb has gotten pretty dim. Due to the setup none of the DLP PJ's will work (ceiling mount isn't possible).

I get that 1500 lumens is a big improvement to my old Panny. However, I'm assuming Panasonic will be coming out with their answer to the 8350 in just a few weeks. I was literally pulling the trigger on the 8350 when I read PC's review of the 8350.

If Panny has a comparable model with a sincere 2000 lumens that may make my decision a much more difficult one. SO...if someone out there has the 8350 and is actually getting closer to 2000 lumens I'd LOVE to know so I can just grab my 8350 and start enjoying it!

What mode are you running the 900 in to light up a screen 20 feet away, with 2000 hours on the bulb? IIRC, Black Widow doesn't really have any gain to it (could be wrong there), so you'd have to be extemely dim (your image, not you) or have some outrageously crappy colors by pushing the bulb to being watchable with that setup.

I'd have a very hard time believing you wouldn't get a monumental change by going to the 8350. Granted, I haven't seen one, but I'm currently using the same projector you are (the 900), and mine only has 1250 hrs on it and is being used with a high gain screen. I'm not happy with dark scenes at all anymore. Of course, we are talking about a 5 year old projector with a rated contrast ratio of 5500:1...

EDIT: If....IF....Panasonic comes out with something new in the very near future, I'm not sure it will be a low cost and very bright projector. They've had a couple of offerings sprinkled here and there that have good output, but most of theirs are focused on color accuracy, features, and relatively low lumens when properly calibrated. Just my thoughts on it.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #150 of 8769 Old 10-05-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:

I'm not happy with dark scenes at all anymore.

Seems like ALL the scenes on my AE900 are dark scenes anymore...that's why I am looking at the 8350. I am sure Panasonic will announce something new soon, but I think it will be hard to beat what the Epson is offering, at the same price. Plus, I don't think I can wait. I play a lot of video games on mine, and with the new games coming out, and Winter right around the corner...I'd like to move on something sooner rather than later.

I just hope the image is a world apart from what I have grown used to on the 900...I think it will be (even my buddy's AX200 looked a lot better than my 900), but I'll be apprehensive until I see it for myself.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page