sb1
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajandrew View Post

Seems like ALL the scenes on my AE900 are dark scenes anymore...that's why I am looking at the 8350. I am sure Panasonic will announce something new soon, but I think it will be hard to beat what the Epson is offering, at the same price. Plus, I don't think I can wait. I play a lot of video games on mine, and with the new games coming out, and Winter right around the corner...I'd like to move on something sooner rather than later.

I just hope the image is a world apart from what I have grown used to on the 900...I think it will be (even my buddy's AX200 looked a lot better than my 900), but I'll be apprehensive until I see it for myself.

I'm guessing that most of today's offering will beat down our poor 900's. When you factor in the price of the 8350 (not to mention the placement flexibility and warranty), it gets really hard to find something else to compete with it in this price category. I'm still just having trouble making up my mind on this one or the 8700.

I'm still curious about the lumen readings, though. I'm wondering how the 8350 was given a 200 lumen boost (on paper), yet was tested lower at Projector Central (I know, I know...grain of salt) and supposedly has better blacks than the 8100 (according to Art's blog at Projector Reviews). Makes me anxious about the 8700's brightness.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 8790 Old 10-05-2010, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayatiakbas View Post

Electronics-expo.com
put it in the chart and write"DEALSOFAMERICA" and the price is even lower at $1165 right now.they have a storewide discount on everything so its not especially for Epson 8350

and for the Epson 8100 Bestbuy Stores are selling it on Clearance right now. even though it is not on sale on the website. go to a store and it is $970 some stores sell it for $1060 so you gotta tell them to match it with other Bestbuys. they can look at the price of the stores selling for $970 and you can go and buy from them or they will match it.
Good luck guys. I bought the 8350 for $1199 now it is for $1165. my luck

Just ordered the 8350 from Electronics Expo using the coupon code. With shipping it totaled under $1200. Shipping to NY so there was no sales tax. They are based out of NJ. Good deal. I called them after my credit card was hit to confirm it was in stock. The guy said they had plenty in stock. Should ship out tomorrow.
post #153 of 8790 Old 10-05-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:

Just wanted to let everyone know that I pulled the trigger on that $1,165 deal at Electronics Expo (gulp). They do charge for shipping so the total was $1,193.71.

oh shoot...I payed $1199 when I ordered mine on Saturday. Wish I had known that discount code then Hope it will be shipped today!

I wonder if this one will have the same bulb issues as the 8100? Is there an "altitude" setting to turn the fans on earlier with this model?

Can't wait to get it!!!! Upgrading from a Z5...
post #154 of 8790 Old 10-05-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyjones007 View Post

oh shoot...I payed $1199 when I ordered mine on Saturday. Wish I had known that discount code then Hope it will be shipped today!

I wonder if this one will have the same bulb issues as the 8100? Is there an "altitude" setting to turn the fans on earlier with this model?

Can't wait to get it!!!! Upgrading from a Z5...

Yes to the altitude setting I read it in the manual.
post #155 of 8790 Old 10-05-2010, 01:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
Is Electronic expo a authorized Epson dealer?

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #156 of 8790 Old 10-05-2010, 01:34 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

Is Electronic expo a authorized Epson dealer?

According to this, they are:

(Their website address)/make-a-store/static/authorized_dealer/1.html
post #157 of 8790 Old 10-05-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:

Yes to the altitude setting I read it in the manual.

So do you guys think this setting is adviseable? Or overkill. I just want to make sure I can get as much out of this bulb as possible. I'll also use it in Eco mode.
post #158 of 8790 Old 10-05-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyjones007 View Post

So do you guys think this setting is adviseable? Or overkill. I just want to make sure I can get as much out of this bulb as possible. I'll also use it in Eco mode.

It will make the fan run faster' louder.I see no point myself.The main reason bulbs go bad is turning them on and off.Allways use a UPS incase of power failure'that way your bulb can cool properly.And most say 6 hours or so is the longest you want to run a fp.And in many fp's ecomode can cause bulb flicker.I allway run my fp at the regular setting to keep from getting this.
post #159 of 8790 Old 10-05-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymeter48 View Post

Just ordered the 8350 from Electronics Expo using the coupon code. With shipping it totaled under $1200. Shipping to NY so there was no sales tax. They are based out of NJ. Good deal. I called them after my credit card was hit to confirm it was in stock. The guy said they had plenty in stock. Should ship out tomorrow.

I bought it over the phone to make sure they had it in stock. I spoke to a salesman named john extention 151. pretty cool guy. From projector people and visual apex I bought projectors in the past and I only by on the phone when it comes to projectors because they upgrade you to faster shipment or give you discount a shopping cart can't do. HahahaMake I bought a denon avr1911 for cheap,amazon selling for $599,bought for $400.instead of buying Epson 8500 at $1600 I thought its better to have a great future proof 3D receiver. I will upgrade whatever projector I am buying this year by next year anyways. Plus last years Epson had bulb issues. Two of mine 8100 broke with in 700-800 hours mark with cleaned filters. To their credit Epson always fixed it. And sent new bulbs.
post #160 of 8790 Old 10-05-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymeter48 View Post

I bought it over the phone to make sure they had it in stock. I spoke to a salesman named john extention 151. pretty cool guy. From projector people and visual apex I bought projectors in the past and I only by on the phone when it comes to projectors because they upgrade you to faster shipment or give you discount a shopping cart can't do. HahahaMake I bought a denon avr1911 for cheap,amazon selling for $599,bought for $400.instead of buying Epson 8500 at $1600 I thought its better to have a great future proof 3D receiver. I will upgrade whatever projector I am buying this year by next year anyways. Plus last years Epson had bulb issues. Two of mine 8100 broke with in 700-800 hours mark with cleaned filters. To their credit Epson always fixed it. And sent new bulbs.
post #161 of 8790 Old 10-05-2010, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

two of mine 8100 broke with in 700-800 hours mark with cleaned filters. To their credit Epson always fixed it. And sent new bulbs.

Did you sell the 8100? Did they refund you the second time?
post #162 of 8790 Old 10-05-2010, 05:47 PM

I got a EluneVision screen and I'm replacing it with another one due to wrong color suggestion. I am currently having a white one and the black doesn't look good.

My room is light wall, white ceiling. I'm not intending to use it at daytime.

My sofa's distance from the screen is about 11'. Projector (Epson 8350) to screen is about 12.5'. The screen is 120", My sofa doesn't go exceed the length of the screen.

I was debating between:
1. 1.8 Grey, view angle 100 degree. http://www.elunevision.com/cinema-gray.html
2. 1.1 Grey, view angle 160 degree. http://www.elunevision.com/pro-cinema-gray.html

What's your suggestion? Thanks.
post #163 of 8790 Old 10-05-2010, 06:01 PM

with the projector only 12.5' away from the screen, my guess is that you arent going to need gain...
post #164 of 8790 Old 10-05-2010, 06:17 PM

I just pushed an order through at projectorpoint.com I'm in Canada and like the fact that the shipping is included in the price 1300$ I think is a good deal on this projector.

Read reviews about projectorpoint and they all seemed really good especially if the need to return the projector occurs.

None the less I cant wait to get this projector the specs look great and im especially interested in the lens shift, this will be my first projector with lens shift and its needed because of a ceiling mount that i will use in the new theater room that im currently building.

I think it will be AWESOME to have an image that doesn't require keystone adjustment and man 50000:1 contrast ratio MUST MEAN great colors and blacks

Cant wait to get this thing and test it out

I have one question though, I have never had a projector that uses a filter, how do I go about cleaning the filter? Can I clean it or do i need to put new filters in from time to time?

Thanks
Dan
post #165 of 8790 Old 10-05-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafaka View Post

I just pushed an order through at projectorpoint.com I'm in Canada and like the fact that the shipping is included in the price 1300$ I think is a good deal on this projector.

Read reviews about projectorpoint and they all seemed really good especially if the need to return the projector occurs.

That is indeed a good price for us Canadians. My local dealer quoted me $1499 plus tax for the 8350 and doesn't seem to want to budge. I may have to look into these guys as well.
post #166 of 8790 Old 10-05-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:

I have one question though, I have never had a projector that uses a filter, how do I go about cleaning the filter? Can I clean it or do i need to put new filters in from time to time?

Thanks
Dan

According to the manual (on pages 51 & 52), you can clean the filter by gently tapping it on a hard surface and remove any additional dust with a small vacuum or a soft clean painters brush.

I'm not sure about Epson (since this will be my first one), but when I would buy a new lamp for my NEC projector, it would come with a new filter.
The Epson manual does list the part number for the filter incase you need to replace it.
post #167 of 8790 Old 10-05-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azereus View Post

That is indeed a good price for us Canadians. My local dealer quoted me $1499 plus tax for the 8350 and doesn't seem to want to budge. I may have to look into these guys as well.

So you are both buying from a US dealer? Any concerns regarding warranty, my understanding is that is doesn't transfer over to Canada.
post #168 of 8790 Old 10-05-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azereus View Post

I just placed the order with them tonight so as soon as I find out more details I will let you know how my experience dealing with them goes
post #169 of 8790 Old 10-05-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothGS View Post

So you are both buying from a US dealer? Any concerns regarding warranty, my understanding is that is doesn't transfer over to Canada.

Hmmmm I didn't know that, I'm sure the warranty will be fine once Epson Canada starts to ship the product

This is whats written on the projectorpoint.com website.

Product Specifications
Resolution: 1080p (1920x1080)
Lumens: 2000
Contrast: 50,000:1
Warranty: 2 years

Here's hoping they honor the warranty !

bnichols, I did not know that Thanks for the info!

Dan
post #170 of 8790 Old 10-05-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothGS View Post

Nope, that's from a local dealer here in the great white north. The PJ is $1499 + tax CDN.
post #171 of 8790 Old 10-05-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:

I just placed the order with them tonight so as soon as I find out more details I will let you know how my experience dealing with them goes

I look forward to hearing how it works out. Thanks
post #172 of 8790 Old 10-05-2010, 07:02 PM

I am in Mississauga, Ontario and tried to purchase from projectorpoint but it did not give me an option for shipping...only local pick up?? Do they have any local store? Also no tax??
post #173 of 8790 Old 10-05-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajid44 View Post

I am in Mississauga, Ontario and tried to purchase from projectorpoint but it did not give me an option for shipping...only local pick up?? Do they have any local store? Also no tax??

I think local pick up means from a local UPS or FedEx or Canada Post office.

I read reviews and a few people from Canada have ordered from projectorpoint in the past and seemed to have a great experience dealing with them.

Projectorpoint deals with another company here in Canada to take care of the shipping.

Here is a review that was written by a customer in Alberta.

"Projectorpoint uses a Canadian affiliate called Reeling Around in Winnipeg, MN. Paul at RA was prompt, helpful and provided us with the information that we needed to make our purchase. Ultimately, we had chosen what we wanted and the decision came down to price and service. RA offered free shipping, COD delivery through UPS and the best price on the unit and accessories to start with. Overall, at this point, we are satisfied with the transaction."
post #174 of 8790 Old 10-05-2010, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahead View Post

It will make the fan run faster' louder.I see no point myself.The main reason bulbs go bad is turning them on and off.Allways use a UPS incase of power failure'that way your bulb can cool properly.And most say 6 hours or so is the longest you want to run a fp.And in many fp's ecomode can cause bulb flicker.I allway run my fp at the regular setting to keep from getting this.

Agreed,,, I have ALWAYS ran my projectors in full bulb mode.
What burns out a bulb is turning it on and off.

On a side note:

Ordered my 8350 today from Visual Apex (overnight shipping) it will be here Thursday,,,, got my room all set up from the 8100 I just returned so when I get the 8350 it will just be a matter of plugging it in.

Got my cave all finished as well,,, whole room painted flat black with total light control, 110" electric screen rolls down in front of my 55" Vizio LED panel and new 5.1 system installed,,, very much looking forward to seeing how this puppy looks in the completed cave.

I will post pictures/screenshots this weekend just for fun.

Cheers
Davyo
post #175 of 8790 Old 10-05-2010, 08:31 PM

My Epson 8350 comes in the mail tomorrow via Fedex from Visual Apex. I plan on going all out (somewhat) to set this home theater up. Let me know your thoughts.

Room Size: 15x12x8

The projector will be on the ceiling, 14ft away from screen, viewing is 12 feet away from screen. I would like to do 120", does that sound it's doable?

Along with the 8350 I plan on doing all in wall/ceiling speakers (minus the sub):
(4) Yamaha NS-IW660 6.5" 3-way In Wall Speakers (Front & Back L/R)
(2) Yamaha NS-IW480CWH 8" 3-way In Ceiling Speakers (MID L/R)
(1) Yamaha NS-IW960 6.5" 3-way In Wall Speaker (Dual-in-one for Center)
(1) Yamaha YST-SW315 10" Digital Pro Series Subwoofer
(1) Sony 665W 7.1 A/V Home Theater Receiver (mid-sized room, don't need my windows to shatter with more than 90+W per channel haha)
(1) Sony Blu Ray Player with Netflix/Ethernet Plug-in

Screen:???? I don't know what brand, if 120" is doable, too big for room, etc? Any ideas, any thoughts, anything to help me? I would like to buy the sound system, screen, and blu ray this weekend online.

Thanks in advance!!!!
post #176 of 8790 Old 10-05-2010, 09:10 PM

[quote=ericpizzapie;19293742]Did you sell the 8100? Did they refund you the second time?[/QU

they sent me a new one,another one I got it replaced at bestbuy. and I sold last month for upgrading.
post #177 of 8790 Old 10-05-2010, 09:16 PM

Have good news: E-expo shipped my order today! I r eceived a tracking number. So far so good experience. Both items I bought. unless they put a dead cat in the boxes, those should be my items. Or else the cat will be out of the bag. Denon Avr1911 and Epson 8350 are on the way. But I have to wait till Monday.the Weekend will be long.
post #178 of 8790 Old 10-05-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

What mode are you running the 900 in to light up a screen 20 feet away, with 2000 hours on the bulb? IIRC, Black Widow doesn't really have any gain to it (could be wrong there), so you'd have to be extemely dim (your image, not you) or have some outrageously crappy colors by pushing the bulb to being watchable with that setup.

I'd have a very hard time believing you wouldn't get a monumental change by going to the 8350. Granted, I haven't seen one, but I'm currently using the same projector you are (the 900), and mine only has 1250 hrs on it and is being used with a high gain screen. I'm not happy with dark scenes at all anymore. Of course, we are talking about a 5 year old projector with a rated contrast ratio of 5500:1...

EDIT: If....IF....Panasonic comes out with something new in the very near future, I'm not sure it will be a low cost and very bright projector. They've had a couple of offerings sprinkled here and there that have good output, but most of theirs are focused on color accuracy, features, and relatively low lumens when properly calibrated. Just my thoughts on it.

Tot agreed. No question there would be a monumental improvement by going to the 8350. It just doesn't sit well with me that Proj Central measured the 8350 at 200 LESS lumens than the 8100. Epson even brags about how that they measure the 8350's lumens with "a more rigid standard than the outdated ANSI lumens rating". I know they all play free and loose with the specs, but this still seems like an obvious yellow flag to me.

Panny's 200, which also lists at 2000 lumens, was measured at well over 1800 lumens. I don't want to get bogged down with specs that may or may not make much of a difference in real life, but another 3-500 lumens would potentially make a noticeable difference.

Since Panny's 200 is overdue for a refresh I assume a new model will be announced pretty shortly. While my preference is to pull the trigger on the 8350 now my gut tells me to wait a few weeks to see what Panny comes out with...UNLESS somebody out there measures their 8350 closer to 2000 lumens and I can just chalk PC's review up to the fact that they had a weak bulb or something.

OR

Anybody have a good explanation as to why the 8350 measured over 200 less lumens than the 8100???
post #179 of 8790 Old 10-05-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:

Have good news: E-expo shipped my order today! I r eceived a tracking number. So far so good experience. Both items I bought. unless they put a dead cat in the boxes, those should be my items. Or else the cat will be out of the bag. Denon Avr1911 and Epson 8350 are on the way. But I have to wait till Monday.the Weekend will be long.

Thanks for the update! Look forward to hearing about it on Monday
post #180 of 8790 Old 10-05-2010, 10:44 PM

Damn. Projector people let me down. I ordered the 8350 last week and paid for 2 day shipping. I know they got them Monday so I expected a tracking number by Tuesday. When I called they informed me it was being shipped directly from the factory and they already shipped it Fedex ground.

They said they will refund the extra shipping cost. Thanks, but I would rather they had not screwed up.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page