The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP > The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread

Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

MississippiMan's Avatar MississippiMan
08:01 AM Liked: 260
post #1 of 8911
09-30-2010 | Posts: 15,310
Joined: Nov 2002
Post here with comments, suggestions, revelations, and tips regarding the Epson 8350 LCD PJ.

I'll personally be relating about the installation of at least 3 separate units over the next 10 days, but with all the pre-orders to Visual Apex about to be filled, I have no doubt that there will be several if not many members beating me to the Punch.

It's all looks to be "All Good" so far, so let's get'ter dun!
LucyFord's Avatar LucyFord
09:09 AM Liked: 10
post #2 of 8911
09-30-2010 | Posts: 33
Joined: Jul 2009
I'll have some unboxing pics tonight!
leov36's Avatar leov36
09:21 AM Liked: 11
post #3 of 8911
09-30-2010 | Posts: 24
Joined: Mar 2007
I currently own the epson hc720 and I absolutely love that pj. After hearing about the 8350 I am getting a serious case of upgrade-itis. Great price great specs( way better than my current pj) and can't wait to see how much better this will be. I have to sell my 720 first though, or the wifey will more than likely cut me in some fashion. Looking forward to reading some reviews on this guy but I think I'm gonna end up pulling the trigger anyways
cbaseuser's Avatar cbaseuser
10:13 AM Liked: 10
post #4 of 8911
09-30-2010 | Posts: 618
Joined: Jun 2005
If this projector uses the same panels as the 8500ub (probably the 6500ub as well), is it safe to say that the NATIVE contrast will be the same? I don't see at all why not.
MississippiMan's Avatar MississippiMan
11:26 AM Liked: 260
post #5 of 8911
09-30-2010 | Posts: 15,310
Joined: Nov 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaseuser View Post

If this projector uses the same panels as the 8500ub (probably the 6500ub as well), is it safe to say that the NATIVE contrast will be the same? I don't see at all why not.

The 8350 has a different Panel from the "ub" models to a degree because it does not employ Epson's absolute best proprietary Black enhancement edging feature that helps restrict sideways light leakage from the Light Engine from invading the surface of the LCD panels. That feature, along with a different Multi-layered lens makes for the 200K:1 contrast to be possible. Even so, the improvement is a markedly better one from the 8100, whose brightness was both it's strongest suit, and it's biggest weakness as far as getting the best contrast possible, either native or Dynamic.

Someday though......
MississippiMan's Avatar MississippiMan
11:32 AM Liked: 260
post #6 of 8911
09-30-2010 | Posts: 15,310
Joined: Nov 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by leov36 View Post

I currently own the epson hc720 and I absolutely love that pj. After hearing about the 8350 I am getting a serious case of upgrade-itis. Great price great specs( way better than my current pj) and can't wait to see how much better this will be. I have to sell my 720 first though, or the wifey will more than likely cut me in some fashion. Looking forward to reading some reviews on this guy but I think I'm gonna end up pulling the trigger anyways

Just hide all the sharp edged knives and get'cher self a Kelvar vest. As long as you survive long enough to let her see the difference, she'll lose the homicidal urges quickly enough.
LucyFord's Avatar LucyFord
01:41 PM Liked: 10
post #7 of 8911
09-30-2010 | Posts: 33
Joined: Jul 2009
Mine just arrived but im stuck at work until 9pm.
MississippiMan's Avatar MississippiMan
02:38 PM Liked: 260
post #8 of 8911
09-30-2010 | Posts: 15,310
Joined: Nov 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyFord View Post

Mine just arrived but im stuck at work until 9pm.

You look awfully flushed to me. Is that a sniffle I hear...? A hacking cough...?

.....I think for your own good you need to go home early...take a pill....*



*.....and get the Puppy up and working!!!!!!
LucyFord's Avatar LucyFord
02:53 PM Liked: 10
post #9 of 8911
09-30-2010 | Posts: 33
Joined: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

You look awfully flushed to me. Is that a sniffle I hear...? A hacking cough...?

.....I think for your own good you need to go home early...take a pill....*



*.....and get the Puppy up and working!!!!!!


Now that you say something I do feel a little sick to my stomach! Itll be mounted and ready to to go by noon tomorrow my day off is tomorrow I get to sit in my mancave and play Madden its gonna be a terrible day!
sb1's Avatar sb1
03:35 PM Liked: 154
post #10 of 8911
09-30-2010 | Posts: 7,337
Joined: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyFord View Post

Now that you say something I do feel a little sick to my stomach! Itll be mounted and ready to to go by noon tomorrow my day off is tomorrow I get to sit in my mancave and play Madden its gonna be a terrible day!

Noon tomorrow? I think you can push that up to around 9:00am with a little extra effort.
LucyFord's Avatar LucyFord
03:41 PM Liked: 10
post #11 of 8911
09-30-2010 | Posts: 33
Joined: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Noon tomorrow? I think you can push that up to around 9:00am with a little extra effort.

Haha your right I think that it will probably be done about 9am.
mike734's Avatar mike734
08:49 PM Liked: 10
post #12 of 8911
09-30-2010 | Posts: 55
Joined: Jul 2007
I've ordered it from Projector people because I live in WA and didn't want to pay the 9.5% sales tax from VisualApex. They say they won't get them until Oct 11 although I see the web page has been changed to Oct 4. I can hardly wait. I just moved in to a house that came with a home theater. It will be my first home projector.
davyo's Avatar davyo
08:53 PM Liked: 11
post #13 of 8911
09-30-2010 | Posts: 4,303
Joined: Jul 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Noon tomorrow? I think you can push that up to around 9:00am with a little extra effort.

Some screenshots would be fun to see,,,, after you get it set-up at 9:01am

Cheers
Davyo
eddieb187's Avatar eddieb187
09:28 PM Liked: 10
post #14 of 8911
09-30-2010 | Posts: 226
Joined: Oct 2003
Received my 8350 @ 5:30 this evening.
I had to make a new shelf. Would not fit on the shelf I had for my HC400.
The case on this thing is a couple of inches wider.
I have it setup and running. So far so good. Amazing picture right out of the box.
I have it on Cinema Mode. Have tried my Mac Pro, TiVo Premiere XL, and Oppo BDP 83.
What a difference from my HC400. The whites on the 8350 make the whites on the 400 look yellow.
Convergence is spot on. No banding or any problems with color.
The skin tones on this thing are beautiful.
I can't wait to calibrate it. Will burn it in some before I do that.
I hope Art posts the settings from his calibration. Will give those a try.
So far I am really happy with the way it looks right now.
talk2rider's Avatar talk2rider
09:42 PM Liked: 10
post #15 of 8911
09-30-2010 | Posts: 13
Joined: Sep 2010
From looking at the user guide for the 8350, its got me wondering about projector placement. Currently, my old projector sits on a TV mount (essentially a shelf) mounted to the back wall near the ceiling. I would say the lens is about 12 inches from the ceiling and the lens is about 2.5 ft above the center of the screen - so the projector has to project downward. I am wondering if the new lens shift capability is going to allow me to point the image downward enough - with the projector sitting right side up. My old projector had to sit on the shelf upside down to achieve this. (It even came with stick-on rubber feet for this purpose.) So I guess my questions are 1) Is the vertical shift pretty substantial, and 2) does it shift as much "down" as it does "up"? The A-shift vs. B-Shift described in the user guide confuses me. It doesn't really explain the A-shift.
96redformula's Avatar 96redformula
09:45 PM Liked: 10
post #16 of 8911
09-30-2010 | Posts: 161
Joined: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by talk2rider View Post

From looking at the user guide for the 8350, its got me wondering about projector placement. Currently, my old projector sits on a TV mount (essentially a shelf) mounted to the back wall near the ceiling. I would say the lens is about 12 inches from the ceiling and the lens is about 2.5 ft above the center of the screen - so the projector has to project downward. I am wondering if the new lens shift capability is going to allow me to point the image downward enough - with the projector sitting right side up. My old projector had to sit on the shelf upside down to achieve this. (It even came with rubber feet for this purpose.) So I guess my questions are 1) Is the vertical shift pretty substantial, and 2) does it shift as much "down" as it does "up"? The A-shift vs. B-Shift described in the user guide confuses me. It doesn't really explain the A-shift.

I was thinking it would be able to do the same downward angle like a DLP does.... Can anybody care to help out with the projector placement. I have my mount ready to go at 10" from the ceiling and my <108" screen is ready to go as well about 15-20"(top of the screen) from the ceiling.

I am just going to give in and order from VisualApex, I just can't wait to get this thing.... Just give me the okay on the projector placement so I can order it .
talk2rider's Avatar talk2rider
09:50 PM Liked: 10
post #17 of 8911
09-30-2010 | Posts: 13
Joined: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieb187 View Post

Received my 8350 @ 5:30 this evening.
I had to make a new shelf. Would not fit on the shelf I had for my HC400.
The case on this thing is a couple of inches wider.
I have it setup and running. So far so good. Amazing picture right out of the box.
I have it on Cinema Mode. Have tried my Mac Pro, TiVo Premiere XL, and Oppo BDP 83.
What a difference from my HC400. The whites on the 8350 make the whites on the 400 look yellow.
Convergence is spot on. No banding or any problems with color.
The skin tones on this thing are beautiful.
I can't wait to calibrate it. Will burn it in some before I do that.
I hope Art posts the settings from his calibration. Will give those a try.
So far I am really happy with the way it looks right now.

Awesome! Let the lamp death watch begin!
talk2rider's Avatar talk2rider
09:51 PM Liked: 10
post #18 of 8911
09-30-2010 | Posts: 13
Joined: Sep 2010
Speaking of which, was there anything in the box about a lamp rebate?
eddieb187's Avatar eddieb187
12:28 AM Liked: 10
post #19 of 8911
10-01-2010 | Posts: 226
Joined: Oct 2003
8700UB is the one with the Lamp Rebate.
eddieb187's Avatar eddieb187
01:23 AM Liked: 10
post #20 of 8911
10-01-2010 | Posts: 226
Joined: Oct 2003
These are from my Oppo BDP 83.
I think the blacks are pretty good.
lin000's Avatar lin000
02:52 AM Liked: 10
post #21 of 8911
10-01-2010 | Posts: 57
Joined: Sep 2010
returned my 8100 today and will order from PP tomorrow. Need to change my white screen to a grey one and then i'm complete on the whole home theatre shopping for the holiday season.
Coolme's Avatar Coolme
04:00 AM Liked: 10
post #22 of 8911
10-01-2010 | Posts: 240
Joined: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieb187 View Post

These are from my Oppo BDP 83.
I think the blacks are pretty good.

Looks good. My attention was focused on the blacks, it's hard to tell but they seem pretty good. I'm also in the market for a projector and this one and it's small brother in Europe are on my list. I'll be checking this thread regularly and will try to find some reviews.
Coolme's Avatar Coolme
04:05 AM Liked: 10
post #23 of 8911
10-01-2010 | Posts: 240
Joined: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieb187 View Post

Received my 8350 @ 5:30 this evening.
I had to make a new shelf. Would not fit on the shelf I had for my HC400.
The case on this thing is a couple of inches wider.
I have it setup and running. So far so good. Amazing picture right out of the box.
I have it on Cinema Mode. Have tried my Mac Pro, TiVo Premiere XL, and Oppo BDP 83.
What a difference from my HC400. The whites on the 8350 make the whites on the 400 look yellow.
Convergence is spot on. No banding or any problems with color.
The skin tones on this thing are beautiful.
I can't wait to calibrate it. Will burn it in some before I do that.
I hope Art posts the settings from his calibration. Will give those a try.
So far I am really happy with the way it looks right now.

It's good to know the unit works well out of the box. What do you plan to use for calibration? I have one of those DVE discs but I'm thinking about buying a probe to get the best out of my future machine.
eliwankenobi's Avatar eliwankenobi
05:05 AM Liked: 20
post #24 of 8911
10-01-2010 | Posts: 366
Joined: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieb187 View Post

These are from my Oppo BDP 83.
I think the blacks are pretty good.

Those are nice pics! Could u comment on the dynamic iris noise? Is it a noisy projector overall?

If I buy this projector, its gonna be a couple feet above in my 8ft ceiling and would a like as little noise as
possible
eddieb187's Avatar eddieb187
07:49 AM Liked: 10
post #25 of 8911
10-01-2010 | Posts: 226
Joined: Oct 2003
Coolme,
I have the Blu Ray version of the Spears & Munsil and DVE.
To me the Blacks are really good. But don't forget, I upgraded from PLHC400. 720p.

eliwankenobi,
There are two settings for the Iris (Normal or High Speed).
I have it set to Normal and I sit right under and to the side of the projector on a shelf.
I did not notice any noise last night. I will check this when I have it on tonight.
I only noise I did hear was if you change the Color Mode from say Cinema to Dynamic.
You can hear the fan gear up.
Hagopian's Avatar Hagopian
07:52 AM Liked: 10
post #26 of 8911
10-01-2010 | Posts: 28
Joined: Aug 2008
Thanks!! Looks like you have to dial down the brightness....whites look a tad too bright?
eddieb187's Avatar eddieb187
08:02 AM Liked: 10
post #27 of 8911
10-01-2010 | Posts: 226
Joined: Oct 2003
Yes it's really bright. The first time I turned it on Color Mode was set to Normal.
I had my Mac Pro computer displaying and I adjusted the Zoom, Lens Shift, Focus...
When finished I brought up a webpage with a white background. Man this thing will blind you.
In Eco Mode and then Cinema Mode it was a lot better.
I just turned it on for the first time last night.
This is with Out of the Box settings.
I will leave it burn in a while before I calibrate.
I'm using a Da-Lite 106" Matte White screen. 1.0 Gain, I think.
eddieb187's Avatar eddieb187
08:06 AM Liked: 10
post #28 of 8911
10-01-2010 | Posts: 226
Joined: Oct 2003
Here's some more shots I took last night with some color.
eddieb187's Avatar eddieb187
08:09 AM Liked: 10
post #29 of 8911
10-01-2010 | Posts: 226
Joined: Oct 2003
You can really see some detail on this leopard.
Hagopian's Avatar Hagopian
08:15 AM Liked: 10
post #30 of 8911
10-01-2010 | Posts: 28
Joined: Aug 2008
Thanks...
Tags: Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3