The official Epson 8700UB thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #271 of 2898 Old 11-21-2010, 01:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After 6 years of service my AE700 finally gave up. I received my 8700UB yesterday. I am projecting onto a 110" GreyWolf screen from 16 feet away.

After watching a couple of 1080p movies I can report that the image is nothing short of stunning. The image is very sharp and uniform for all colors in the Avia calibration DVD.

In THX Eco mode, this projector is much brighter than the AE700 (granted my old bulb has 2000 hrs on it). In Dynamic mode I can actually watch sports with the curtains open, something I never dreamed of doing with the 700.

My AE700 had great color but the blacks were never satisfactory. The shadow detail was OK at the beginning but got worst over the years. The 8700UB has incredible blacks and the shadow detail is very good.

I too was surprised by the size of the projector - had to build a new shelf. And this projector produces the same amount of noise as the old one - you'd think they would have improved some in 6 years. But, since the projector is so bright and my screen has some gain, I can watch in the much quieter Eco mode most of the time. Old DVDs look a bit grainy, perhaps due to the higher resolution and the larger screen size. Increasing the noise reduction setting helps. But, as I said earlier, 1080p material is very sharp. So sharp that it took a bit of getting used to compared to the Panasonic's softer image.

The AE 700 had its issues: the power supply died after two years ($200 repair), dust accumulated inside the lens and around the LCD panels, and finally developed big uniformity problems (blue polarizer?) I hope the Epson quality issues cited by others are isolated events. But, so far, I am very satisfied with this upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2898 Old 11-21-2010, 12:13 PM

Well, now my second 8700 is experiencing another issue. Hopefully it has to do with my cable, and not the projector itself. I have a green like that just appeared down the right side of the screen when viewing 4:3 non-HDTV programming. I have not changed any settings, so it is odd that it just started happening. The line is about 1" thick, I guess I will spend the afternoon tinkering with it.
post #273 of 2898 Old 11-21-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

Anyone seriously looking to buy this pj needs to search prices online...there is an authorized dealer doing a $200 rebate Thanksgiving week only. Might see if AVS will match (then that $200 bucks can go back into QC and calibration)

Thanks for the heads up - that's a noticeable discount.

I literally just received my 8700UB from Projector People, still in the box. And now there are indeed several stores selling it for $200 cheaper.

Guess it's time to call them on Monday to see if they will price adjust.. if not it's going back.
post #274 of 2898 Old 11-21-2010, 11:20 PM

Careful. According to the Epson website, the only authorized Epson dealers are ABC Wharehouse, ABT, AV sicence, BH Photo, Crutchfield, Electronics Expo, Projector People and The Projector Place. I beleive the free bulb promotion is for projectors purchased through authorized dealers.
post #275 of 2898 Old 11-22-2010, 04:38 AM

Given the negative post recently, I wanted to let everyone know, I'm currently at 165hrs of viewing and all i can say is the projector is AWESOME - No problems whatsoever.
post #276 of 2898 Old 11-22-2010, 08:07 AM

Liked: 11
just checked purolator and my replacement projector is out for delivery should have it this afternoon...
post #277 of 2898 Old 11-22-2010, 08:47 AM

I've been on the fence about which projector to get. This Forum is great. I've been reading for months now and finally decided to jump in. I am torn between the Epson8350 and the 8700UB. If the price is right for the Black Friday weekend, I am going to pull the trigger. Here's my main concern: I want to watch sports on this baby, and I've got a lot of windows in the room where I am going to put it. Do I need black out shades or will regular fabric curtains be enough to clearly see the game in the summer daylight? The house is surrounded by trees, so it's not direct sunlight, but it still gets pretty bright in that room. Will the screen I chose help/hurt the clarity for daytime viewing? Thanks much! Newbie
post #278 of 2898 Old 11-22-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavinT View Post
I've been on the fence about which projector to get. This Forum is great. I've been reading for months now and finally decided to jump in. I am torn between the Epson8350 and the 8700UB. If the price is right for the Black Friday weekend, I am going to pull the trigger. Here's my main concern: I want to watch sports on this baby, and I've got a lot of windows in the room where I am going to put it. Do I need black out shades or will regular fabric curtains be enough to clearly see the game in the summer daylight? The house is surrounded by trees, so it's not direct sunlight, but it still gets pretty bright in that room. Will the screen I chose help/hurt the clarity for daytime viewing? Thanks much! Newbie
If you don't have any direct sunlight in the room and your curtains aren't too thin I think you would be satisfied with the 8700 in dynamic mode for sports. The 8700 is really bright in dynamic mode without sacrificing too much accuracy.
post #279 of 2898 Old 11-22-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:

The screen you choose will definetly help when viewing during the day
IE
if you use a screen from Future shop thats matte white pull down i dont care even with a 8700 you will have a washed out picture...
You need a screen with proper gain to get a good picture in ambient light...

Everyone one on these forums knows i am a SI Black Diamond Believer...
And it is the best solution for Ambient light.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...932169&page=44
thats the link to the si forum
there are alot of pics of full ambient light ...
I watched the cfl playoffs yesturday with Full ambient light
and you would have thought you where on the 40 yard line
it was that vivid ....
The screen is the most important investment of any home theater
Cheap out on the projector ,,,
but dont cheap out on the screen...
my thoughts
fraisa
post #280 of 2898 Old 11-23-2010, 11:25 AM

My 8700 will be here next Monday but I have a question,

My ceiling is 10' and the top of the screen will be 7', the vertical lens shift is 96.3%, is that OK without keystoning or losing PQ?

I went with a 100" elite ez frame 1.1 cinewhite is this a good match for a completely dark media room?
post #281 of 2898 Old 11-23-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DedicatedHT View Post

My 8700 will be here next Monday but I have a question,

My ceiling is 10' and the top of the screen will be 7', the vertical lens shift is 96.3%, is that OK without keystoning or losing PQ?

I went with a 100" elite ez frame 1.1 cinewhite is this a good match for a completely dark media room?

Epson has a tool online that you can use to see about lens shift range. Not sure if they have updated it with the 8700 but you can just use the 8500. It really depends on how far back you plan to mount the projector and if you are flush mounting or using an extension pipe.

I have mine paired with a 106" Elite screen pull down 1.1 gain, and it looks great. Maybe down the road I will upgrade to a Black Diamond, but they need to get their motorized version out before I could even think about it.
post #282 of 2898 Old 11-24-2010, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Here's my main concern: I want to watch sports on this baby, and I've got a lot of windows in the room where I am going to put it. Do I need black out shades or will regular fabric curtains be enough to clearly see the game in the summer daylight? The house is surrounded by trees, so it's not direct sunlight, but it still gets pretty bright in that room. Will the screen I chose help/hurt the clarity for daytime viewing? Thanks much! Newbie
DavinT,

The screen type makes a big difference. Generally, there are 3 types of screens: diffusive, angular reflective and retro reflective. The latter two help with ambient light. Most people use angular reflective screens for ceining mounted projectors and retro-reflective screens for table-top projectors. They both have advantages and disadvantages described in good detail at this old web site: http://moesrealm.com/home-theater/gu...ction-screens/

BUT, there is an alternative, which I have been enjoying for 6 years: use a retro-reflective screen with a shelf mounted projector. This setup works great for ceiling lights and for windows perpendicular to the screen because it directs most of that light back towards its source. In this setup the viewer is outside of the main cone of the screen, which avoids the hot spots typical of higher gain retro-reflective screens while still enjoying a moderate gain. With this setup I am able to view sports in the 8700's dynamic mode with the windows open.

If this setup works for you, look at the GrayWolf from Optoma. It costs a faction of other screens recommended in this thread.
post #283 of 2898 Old 11-24-2010, 11:43 AM

Sorry for another 8350/8700 post - but I need to make a quick purchase today to take advantage of the projector people discount and get the projector next week -

I have a 15 x 14 dedicated media room with dark walls/ceiling that can be fully light controlled. I would plan 40/40 movies/sports (football) and 20% PS3 gaming.

While watching sports I would have to have some light on ~within~ the room (planning super bowl party).

Is the 8700 worth the extra $700 dollars (taking into account the free lamp), noting it has less lumens than the 8350? I don't want to sacrifice noticible dark room picture quality but also want to maintain viewable brightness in ambient light at the rear of the smallish room. the extra 700 dollars would potentially go to upgrade my speaker selection..

maybe i should buy both at the same time and return the one that doesnt work out as well? pp have a generous return policy.

thanks!!
btw - this will be my first projector.
post #284 of 2898 Old 11-24-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightsbridge View Post

Sorry for another 8350/8700 post - but I need to make a quick purchase today to take advantage of the projector people discount and get the projector next week -

I have a 15 x 14 dedicated media room with dark walls/ceiling that can be fully light controlled. I would plan 40/40 movies/sports (football) and 20% PS3 gaming.

While watching sports I would have to have some light on ~within~ the room (planning super bowl party).

Is the 8700 worth the extra $700 dollars (taking into account the free lamp), noting it has less lumens than the 8350? I don't want to sacrifice noticible dark room picture quality but also want to maintain viewable brightness in ambient light at the rear of the smallish room. the extra 700 dollars would potentially go to upgrade my speaker selection..

maybe i should buy both at the same time and return the one that doesnt work out as well? pp have a generous return policy.

thanks!!

Dont cheap out ...
You get what you pay for..
If you want an Awesome Pic for Sports Go for the 8700...

And sorry to sound like a broken record but if you want to take it to the next level go with Black Diamond .8 Gain Screen it will feel like your on the 40 yrd line.....
post #285 of 2898 Old 11-24-2010, 02:16 PM

Okay got the replacement projector up from epson and the pic is good no discolouring in the top left corner like before...
post #286 of 2898 Old 11-24-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraisa View Post

Okay got the replacement projector up from epson and the pic is good no discolouring in the top left corner like before...

great so where are the SCREENSHOTS!?! Mine wont come till monday and I need something to hold me over
post #287 of 2898 Old 11-24-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:

great so where are the SCREENSHOTS!?! Mine wont come till monday and I need something to hold me over

I've been meaning to take some shots of mine but haven't got around to it yet, too busy enjoying it. I won't be back home until Saturday or Sunday so I might try to get some posted then.
post #288 of 2898 Old 11-24-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:

will post screen shots in a couple of days
dont worry the shots will make your mouth water.....lol
post #289 of 2898 Old 11-25-2010, 01:05 PM

Krap....I pulled the trigger on an 8700UB on Tuesday (11/23) and find out today that there is an instant rebate of $200 for the weekend. Talked to the retailer, and they're not willing to budge...

I'm a little bummed that I could have saved $200 by waiting a day.
post #290 of 2898 Old 11-25-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnmra View Post

Krap....I pulled the trigger on an 8700UB on Tuesday (11/23) and find out today that there is an instant rebate of $200 for the weekend. Talked to the retailer, and they're not willing to budge...

That feeling will go away once you are watching a blu ray
post #291 of 2898 Old 11-25-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnmra View Post

I ordered from PP monday and saw the same thing. They have one coming back if they dont honor.
post #292 of 2898 Old 11-25-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:

I ordered from PP monday and saw the same thing. They have one coming back if they dont honor.

Unfortunately, in Canada we have limited choices (and exaggerated prices). I have no recourse basically, because the retailer doesn't have any return policy, I was offered a $100 "store credit", which is better than nothing I suppose.

Quote:

That feeling will go away once you are watching a blu ray

Thanks, I needed that I just hate these "rebate" games...
post #293 of 2898 Old 11-25-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightsbridge View Post

thanks!!

I just bought the 8350 last night at Best Buy and am now wondering if I should return it and get the 8700. I would also like to know if the $700 price increase is worth it for better black levels and motion smoothing.
post #294 of 2898 Old 11-25-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreydc View Post

I just bought the 8350 last night at Best Buy and am now wondering if I should return it and get the 8700. I would also like to know if the $700 price increase is worth it for better black levels and motion smoothing.

If you get one that works right, then yes it is definitely worth it.
post #295 of 2898 Old 11-25-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunction26 View Post

If you get one that works right, then yes it is definitely worth it.

What do you mean by that dysfunction? Are these projectors that unreliable? Would I be better off going with a panasonic ae4000?
post #296 of 2898 Old 11-26-2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreydc View Post

What do you mean by that dysfunction? Are these projectors that unreliable? Would I be better off going with a panasonic ae4000?

You might have to trade in a couple before you get one that is up to most people's standards. They work, you just have to make sure they work properly from day 1. Epson has great customer service, so if you are dissatisfied, they will exchange it overnight. Nothing to worry about there. You may be lucky, and get one that works right on the first try. I would rather exchange my Epson, than get the Panasonic, but that's just me.
post #297 of 2898 Old 11-26-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunction26 View Post

You might have to trade in a couple before you get one that is up to most people's standards. They work, you just have to make sure they work properly from day 1. Epson has great customer service, so if you are dissatisfied, they will exchange it overnight. Nothing to worry about there. You may be lucky, and get one that works right on the first try. I would rather exchange my Epson, than get the Panasonic, but that's just me.

Ok thats crazy!! Im not sure I wanna own a projector with such reliability problems that you have to go thru a few before you get a good one. I dont care how good the customer service is. If this is that common of a problem I will bring this one back and get the panasonic. My ae900u has performed flaswlessly for 5 years now.
post #298 of 2898 Old 11-26-2010, 04:50 AM

Jeff, I don't own an Epson. I can tell you that anyone like dysfunction that spends the amount of time bad mouthing any product on a forum has issues. And I don't mean with the projector. Even if what he says is true, and I doubt it, he needs to move on. If you look at the number of people that have posted most of it is this one individual. You have to consider that he has some axe to grind with Epson and it taking it out here. The likely hood of it being true is remote. This is the internet. I have a Panasonic AE200 and am considering this PJ as my next upgrade and dysfunction's rants have not changed my mind at all.
post #299 of 2898 Old 11-26-2010, 09:30 AM

I went through 5 Epson HC1080's ( their first 1080p pj ) and 5 Epson 6500UB's. Then gave up. If you read through their respective threads, you'll see quite a few others having to go through more than one unit to get one that meets the expectation of what 2-3 thousand buys you. Epson has QC issues, but will keep helping until you're satisfied. I, however, gave up and got a Mits HC6800. Works flawlessly.
post #300 of 2898 Old 11-26-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iolmaster View Post

Jeff, I don't own an Epson. I can tell you that anyone like dysfunction that spends the amount of time bad mouthing any product on a forum has issues. And I don't mean with the projector. Even if what he says is true, and I doubt it, he needs to move on. If you look at the number of people that have posted most of it is this one individual. You have to consider that he has some axe to grind with Epson and it taking it out here. The likely hood of it being true is remote. This is the internet. I have a Panasonic AE200 and am considering this PJ as my next upgrade and dysfunction's rants have not changed my mind at all.

I don't think dysfunction is ranting about this projector, he has just had bad experiences with it. I think that most of the population would never notice some of the issues that a lot of people talk about with any projector here on this forum. With that said I would think most of the projectors that Epson ships are without issues, if everyone had the bad experiences Epson wouldn't be the leader in projector sales. Every projector brand has issues, Epson is known for their great customer service, others not so much.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page