The official Epson 8700UB thread - Page 100 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2971 of 2977 Old 07-20-2017, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Muse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Under the rainbow over Berkeley
Posts: 1,935
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bad news. The Osram lamp arrived this afternoon. Says Original Epson on the box, so I was hoping it was what I'd get from Epson themselves, but that's not the case (which I suspected anyway). If it were Epson there would have been the little tool to spring open the plate atop the PJ that reveals the lamp. No matter, as long as the lamp has a good Osram bulb I figured I was OK.

I remove the lamp and look at the filament from in front and I see that it's quite askew. It's not pointing straight out, perpendicular to the plate in front of it but is pointing to the side quite obviously. I look from the side and see that the bulb was positioned crooked. I'd estimate at least 5 degrees, maybe 7 degrees off the perpendicular. Rats!

I turn the lamp around some more and see that the little screen wasn't applied correctly. It's bunched up, doesn't fit into the slot it's supposed to be in. WTH! What was wrong with the person who assembled this thing?

I call Amazon and explain for 20 minutes to the CSR, who displays substandard competence, but I stuck it out. I suggest that they should investigate this seller who appears to be selling substandard, grey goods. I find it hard to believe that this seller specializing in lamps (Dynamic Lamps, Amazon 3rd party seller) wouldn't have taken a look at what they were sending a customer. Inconceivable. She says they'll look into this. Meantime, my return is being processed and expect to get another prepaid shipping label and I'll be returning my 2nd lamp in two weeks.

I imagine that it's probably possible to remove the bulb and reassemble the lamp so it's got the bulb/housing orientation correctly, but obviously I should have to engage in that kind of activity with this, I'll just return it. Many people obviously have chosen to just pony up ~$250 for the Epson lamp because of the problems people have had with cheaper lamps. If money is no object, obviously that's the way to go. Well, like I said, the ins and outs of projector bulbs is something I knew nothing about. I'm now once bitten, twice shy, twice bitten, fairly nervous.

So, I'm going to return this lamp. Meantime, at least I have that cheapie lamp which seems to be what it's purported to be and gives me a for-now decent image.

Last edited by Muse; 07-20-2017 at 08:27 PM.
Muse is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2972 of 2977 Old 07-21-2017, 02:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Cyber Chulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 435
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post
Bad news. The Osram lamp arrived this afternoon. Says Original Epson on the box, so I was hoping it was what I'd get from Epson themselves, but that's not the case (which I suspected anyway). If it were Epson there would have been the little tool to spring open the plate atop the PJ that reveals the lamp. No matter, as long as the lamp has a good Osram bulb I figured I was OK.

I remove the lamp and look at the filament from in front and I see that it's quite askew. It's not pointing straight out, perpendicular to the plate in front of it but is pointing to the side quite obviously. I look from the side and see that the bulb was positioned crooked. I'd estimate at least 5 degrees, maybe 7 degrees off the perpendicular. Rats!

I turn the lamp around some more and see that the little screen wasn't applied correctly. It's bunched up, doesn't fit into the slot it's supposed to be in. WTH! What was wrong with the person who assembled this thing?

I call Amazon and explain for 20 minutes to the CSR, who displays substandard competence, but I stuck it out. I suggest that they should investigate this seller who appears to be selling substandard, grey goods. I find it hard to believe that this seller specializing in lamps (Dynamic Lamps, Amazon 3rd party seller) wouldn't have taken a look at what they were sending a customer. Inconceivable. She says they'll look into this. Meantime, my return is being processed and expect to get another prepaid shipping label and I'll be returning my 2nd lamp in two weeks.

I imagine that it's probably possible to remove the bulb and reassemble the lamp so it's got the bulb/housing orientation correctly, but obviously I should have to engage in that kind of activity with this, I'll just return it. Many people obviously have chosen to just pony up ~$250 for the Epson lamp because of the problems people have had with cheaper lamps. If money is no object, obviously that's the way to go. Well, like I said, the ins and outs of projector bulbs is something I knew nothing about. I'm now once bitten, twice shy, twice bitten, fairly nervous.

So, I'm going to return this lamp. Meantime, at least I have that cheapie lamp which seems to be what it's purported to be and gives me a for-now decent image.
Dam! You spend more and you get worse quality. It could also be a manufacturing defect. Not every thing made is always perfect. But I understand that it should not have had all those issues. I'm gonna get the ebay one that you recommended and use that as my main bulb and keep the original one as a backup. Let's see how well it holds up.

PSN ID Cyber125
Cyber Chulo is offline  
post #2973 of 2977 Old 07-21-2017, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Muse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Under the rainbow over Berkeley
Posts: 1,935
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Chulo View Post
Dam! You spend more and you get worse quality. It could also be a manufacturing defect. Not every thing made is always perfect. But I understand that it should not have had all those issues. I'm gonna get the ebay one that you recommended and use that as my main bulb and keep the original one as a backup. Let's see how well it holds up.
Yeah, I think you're talking about the one from Electrified. They sell on Amazon too. I think at Amazon it's almost the same price, might be safer to get it there. I read a lot or all of the user reviews for the Electrified ELPLP49 lamps at Amazon yesterday. I think it's something of a crapshoot. Some people have great luck, others don't. I maybe got lucky with mine. I was certainly unlucky with the two more expensive lamps I bought over the last week or two, which happened to cost 4-5 times as much as the $22 Electrified one. One sent me the wrong lamp, the other sent me one that was badly assembled in a factory. This was no small manufacturing defect. I had a closer look today (will send it back with prepaid shipping label tomorrow). They left off one of the 4 tabs that hold the bulb in place in the housing. The net effect was that the bulb is tilted about 7 degrees off axis.

I did more searching today. I even called Epson and asked them if they would send me a "spare bulb," something they were including with this PJ back when I bought it. I was told that they did that because a lot of the buyers were experiencing premature bulb burnout due to inferior bulbs. Epson's response was to give people a spare bulb with the PJ and they also changed manufacturers of the bulbs they were supplying. He said it took them two years to do that, I thought I heard him say that.

He put me on hold and then told me that they wouldn't send me a replacement. I think the reason is that they figure I didn't have premature bulb burnout, although he never asked me how many hours are on my bulb. I wasn't going to plead or argue, I just thanked him and that was that.

I started doing more research. There was a "spare bulb" that looked authentic and unused for auction on Ebay but I didn't bite. Reason is, I'd just heard this Epson guy say they used to supply inferior bulbs. Why would I want to take a chance on one of their bulbs from years ago? This one was evidently from 2009.

This whole business of replacement bulbs for Epson PJs is a confusing mishmash.

I'm thinking this now -- I have that cheap bulb that seems alright now and it has a 150 day warranty. I think I'll continue to use it until I use up that 150 days. Meantime, I'll take my time in getting another bulb.
Muse is offline  
 
post #2974 of 2977 Old 07-24-2017, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Muse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Under the rainbow over Berkeley
Posts: 1,935
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 11
EDIT! I turned the projector back on after discovering the 2nd anomaly, the one that makes the image unwatchable and indeed, as I'd hoped, that didn't reoccur. Hmm. It's not the first time that I've had a weird thing happen with this Epson 8700ub that was "cured" by a restart.

Hmm. I'm wondering if there are some things I can do in terms of maintenance, some things that will/might improve the image and prevent or delay deterioration/damage. Obviously, an important one is to clean the filter (which I just did for the first time last week). But I wonder if there's something else. Replacing the lamp (when the time comes) with a reliable lamp could be critical (read the below!). I have seen post(s) declaring that a faulty lamp has melted, fouling the projector.
- - - -
Crucial update!

I have changed my mind. If I were to go back a few weeks, with the experience I have now, I'd hope to just bite the bullet and buy a bulb off of Epson!

The movie I watched to test the $22 from Electrified was 2.40.1, so it didn't reveal the entire screen. When I turned on my HDTV image source this weekend (the obligatory British Open golf tournament), I discovered that there was a band at the very top of the screen that was darker than the rest, very noticeably. I'm color blind (partially) so I'm not sure, but I think that band, which covers the top ~6% of the screen area) is pinkish in tone. It doesn't make the image unwatchable, however, and I had the projector on about 18 hours over the weekend. I figure that it's not the bulb doing this, but something that's amiss in the projector besides the bulb. But here's the thing: I think it could be because of the bulb, it might be running too hot. Or, possibly something happened when I replaced the old bulb, something that pushed something out of alignment. What it is and what caused it are unkown to me.

This morning I turn on the PJ because I want to make sure that dark horizontal bar is still there at the top before I remove all the cables and put in the old bulb and retest (I expected that to have no effect and that the bar would still be there). Instead I do see the bar but I also see that the top ~20% of the image is cut off entirely, shows as white with that darkened bar on top still there. Now the image truly is unwatchable! I tried a different source, same thing.

Where I go from here I don't know. I have to figure the PJ may be history. Maybe I can have it repaired economically, maybe there's something I can do to repair it. I turned it off, haven't turned it on again ... maybe at least the 2nd condition will disappear, however naturally I'm not optimistic.

I have to wonder if this series of events aren't caused by this new bulb running too hot. Can anyone speak to that? Is there any way to determine if it is running too hot? I didn't notice the fan being on more than usual but I watch my stuff with sound blocking earbuds in, so I might not notice. But I think I would have noticed the fan running a lot more somehow anyway.

The now persistent (i.e. first) non show-stopping anomaly:


Last edited by Muse; 07-24-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Muse is offline  
post #2975 of 2977 Old Yesterday, 06:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Cyber Chulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 435
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I just got the $21 bulb delivered yesterday. It sure takes a while for the bulb to turn on vs the original bulb. Definitely not as bright. Living Room and Dynamic are the same brightness. The only thing that changes between the two are color temperatures from what I've seen. To me, Living Room is the same brightness that Theater mode would have given me if I had a brand new Epson bulb. But then again, I can't complain too much since this was only $21 bucks.

I'm gonna stick with it to see how long it'll last. I keeping the original Epson bulb in the box.

Edit- I haven't noticed any color banding on mine. But then again, I probably only put 1 hour on it so far.

PSN ID Cyber125
Cyber Chulo is offline  
post #2976 of 2977 Old Yesterday, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Muse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Under the rainbow over Berkeley
Posts: 1,935
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Chulo View Post
I just got the $21 bulb delivered yesterday. It sure takes a while for the bulb to turn on vs the original bulb. Definitely not as bright. Living Room and Dynamic are the same brightness. The only thing that changes between the two are color temperatures from what I've seen. To me, Living Room is the same brightness that Theater mode would have given me if I had a brand new Epson bulb. But then again, I can't complain too much since this was only $21 bucks.

I'm gonna stick with it to see how long it'll last. I keeping the original Epson bulb in the box.

Edit- I haven't noticed any color banding on mine. But then again, I probably only put 1 hour on it so far.
I'm virtually positive that the band at the top isn't produced by the bulb. There's something going on with my PJ. I will tackle it this week. Well, it may be something I have no idea how to deal with, but I'll try. Anyway, the image isn't terrible. If I weren't color blind maybe it would bother me more. Does it look pink to you?
Muse is offline  
post #2977 of 2977 Old Yesterday, 06:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Cyber Chulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 435
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post
I'm virtually positive that the band at the top isn't produced by the bulb. There's something going on with my PJ. I will tackle it this week. Well, it may be something I have no idea how to deal with, but I'll try. Anyway, the image isn't terrible. If I weren't color blind maybe it would bother me more. Does it look pink to you?
No, to me, the living room color temperature seems the best one to use with ECO off and Auto Iris on. On the OEM bulb I had those turned off. I also lowered the Color Temp to 65K instead of 75K. I also lowered Saturation to 0 from 5. This is just naked eye calibration. Not using a calibration discs. Bear in mind that I only use the projector for special occasions like if there was a good movie that I know I will like or any huge AAA games like God of War or Uncharted. Otherwise most my screen time is going to my Sony 940C TV.

PSN ID Cyber125
Cyber Chulo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off