The official Epson 8700UB thread - Page 13 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #361 of 2925 Old 11-29-2010, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DedicatedHT View Post

Today is the day

The projectorcentral.com calculator for 100" screen puts my throw at 13'4" for "recommended image brightness for low ambient light".

I was going to mount around a 11' throw right above seating position. Does that mean it will be brighter than recommended brightness for low ambient light?

The room is only 16' deep. I can mount at the 13'4 if I need to, just puts the FP on the other side of an AC vent and farther from where the cables/power are on the cieling.

at 11' throw the calculator gives 22FL but reduces the 100" screen to 82"
at 13'4 throw the calculator gives 32FL for a 100" screen
Which is best for pitch black blu ray with some NFL playoffs sconces mid lit?

Also the lens is off center and I read to reduce image shift as much as possible as it reduces sharpness. Should I mount lens center, or can I mount projector center and shift a few inches?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2925 Old 11-29-2010, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are you referring to the PC calc? I wouldn't pay much attention to it...the throw part can be right, but the light calc part is useless.

Basically on a 100" screen there is no way the Epson will ever be too bright, not if setup correctly.
post #363 of 2925 Old 11-29-2010, 10:51 AM

I am planning about a 180" 2:40 CIH screen. I have 14' of the audio transparent SemourAV material. My throw can be mounted as much as 25' back. The room is 100% light controlled. Is there any reason this projector will not fit my needs? I plan to manually zoom scope movies until I can buy an anamorphic lens.
post #364 of 2925 Old 11-29-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

Thanks fraisa for the info. A couple 2-3 months will not be a problem.

I can't imagine what they will charge for the motorized version of the black diamond, but my guess is it will be more than what you have budgeted.

fraisa has got me interested in the black diamond screen, and I would love to see it in person. I will probably upgrade to it one day, its still to soon after the initial setup cost to get authorization from the wife. For now I have a white ceiling that will shortly be covered by black velvet. I have the framework built just need to wrap the velvet and get a friend over to help me get it in place.
post #365 of 2925 Old 11-29-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtoudouze View Post

I am planning about a 180" 2:40 CIH screen. I have 14' of the audio transparent SemourAV material. My throw can be mounted as much as 25' back. The room is 100% light controlled. Is there any reason this projector will not fit my needs? I plan to manually zoon scope movies until I can buy an anamorphic lens.

How far back is your seating going to be?
post #366 of 2925 Old 11-29-2010, 11:31 AM

I plan 3 rows starting around 25' back with plenty of leg room for reclining. I will also have two levels of risers. The front row will be on the ground 12-15' from the screen.
post #367 of 2925 Old 11-29-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usarcher View Post

I can't imagine what they will charge for the motorized version of the black diamond, but my guess is it will be more than what you have budgeted.

fraisa has got me interested in the black diamond screen, and I would love to see it in person. I will probably upgrade to it one day, its still to soon after the initial setup cost to get authorization from the wife. For now I have a white ceiling that will shortly be covered by black velvet. I have the framework built just need to wrap the velvet and get a friend over to help me get it in place.

Where are you located?
if you where in Ontario you could visit my showroom,
if you are in the us
Contact SI for the Nearest Dealer to you so you could get a demo.....
post #368 of 2925 Old 11-29-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraisa View Post

Where are you located?
if you where in Ontario you could visit my showroom,
if you are in the us
Contact SI for the Nearest Dealer to you so you could get a demo.....

I live in Maine, and used SI's online dealer finder but the closest is in NH, but even that is only a Magnolia/BestBuy store, which I'm sure don't have them displayed.
post #369 of 2925 Old 11-29-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:

I plan 3 rows starting around 25' back with plenty of leg room for reclining. I will also have two levels of risers. The front row will be on the ground 12-15' from the screen.

I sit ~11ft from a 106" 16:9 screen, can't imagine what 180" 2.35 screen would do to the eyes at that distance.

Do you know the gain on your screen material? My projector is 15' from the 1.1 gain screen and it gives off plenty of light. With your throw distance and screen size you will probably need a higher gain screen. Best bet would be to find a local epson dealer which has a good return policy, I had 30 days for mine, and try it out with your setup.
post #370 of 2925 Old 11-29-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usarcher View Post

I live in Maine, and used SI's online dealer finder but the closest is in NH, but even that is only a Magnolia/BestBuy store, which I'm sure don't have them displayed.

You may be suprised ,
there is a Magnolia Best Buy in Ann Abour MI that has one on display,
you should give them a call
post #371 of 2925 Old 11-29-2010, 12:18 PM

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure about the gain on the screen. I have the Semour AV AT material. The screen is not up yet. I currently have a Mitsubishi 1000 720p projector and it seems to give enough light (projected on a wall). I really do not want to miss out on this $200 discount. I have a friend who is an Epson dealer, but he only sells VERY high end stuff. He can order this for me for $1975 but I would have to add tax and shipping to that price. I prefer to order from AV Science, but I want to be sure this projector puts out enough light.

EDIT:Went ahead and pulled the trigger. Thanks Jason.
post #372 of 2925 Old 11-29-2010, 02:22 PM

just ordered it today!! my first projector, going in my basement non-dedicated (white ceilings ) build. Room is about 15x26 with the seating position around 12-14' from screen. PJ will be ceiling mounted and planning on a 104" DIY screen (lets see how happy I am with a DIY option first before I go spending another few hundred on a production screen). I'm planning on mounting the proj 11-12' from the screen and from what I read here, that seems to be ok.

Now, off to researching some DIY screen options...

super excited!
post #373 of 2925 Old 11-29-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aharami View Post

just ordered it today!! my first projector, going in my basement non-dedicated (white ceilings ) build. Room is about 15x26 with the seating position around 12-14' from screen. PJ will be ceiling mounted and planning on a 104" DIY screen (lets see how happy I am with a DIY option first before I go spending another few hundred on a production screen). I'm planning on mounting the proj 11-12' from the screen and from what I read here, that seems to be ok.

Now, off to researching some DIY screen options...

super excited!

Mississippi Man has alot of Experiance with DIY Screens Give Him
a PM for some helpful tips
post #374 of 2925 Old 11-29-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraisa

You may be suprised ,
there is a Magnolia Best Buy in Ann Abour MI that has one on display,
you should give them a call
The way I read SI's website BestBuy only carries their lesser screen materials not the black diamond series. They are still a good 4 hour trip away, its sad that BestBuy thinks it's good to have most if not all there NH stores with a Magnolia but none in Maine. I might see if the custom theater installer that I bought the 8700 through could get a sample, or get them to become a dealer Like I said before it will probably be a good year or two before I can even think about bringing up the purchase with my better half, but that will give them time to get there motorized version out and work out any bugs it might have.
post #375 of 2925 Old 11-29-2010, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I am not sure about the gain on the screen. I have the Semour AV AT material. The screen is not up yet. I currently have a Mitsubishi 1000 720p projector and it seems to give enough light (projected on a wall). I really do not want to miss out on this $200 discount. I have a friend who is an Epson dealer, but he only sells VERY high end stuff. He can order this for me for $1975 but I would have to add tax and shipping to that price. I prefer to order from AV Science, but I want to be sure this projector puts out enough light.

EDIT:Went ahead and pulled the trigger. Thanks Jason.
Welcome. Thank you!
post #376 of 2925 Old 11-30-2010, 12:07 AM

newbie question here: It took about 4 months of reading, but I finally have decided on the Epson 8700 and have it coming in a couple days, but I was waiting to buy a screen.

I have a white ceiling, but a VERY well light controlled room. I can fit a screen up to 106" and the seats will be 10' back. I was told by Magnolia/BestBuy to get a 1.0 gain screen for that scenario, but my concern was that that was the one they had on hand

If I could trouble those who are far more knowledgeable than I (everyone reading this), what would you recommend for A. Fixed frame (brand, gain, etc) or B. Ceiling recessed.

I greatly appreciate the help!
post #377 of 2925 Old 11-30-2010, 06:16 AM

between family, work and figuring out the dang chief mount i finally got it up last night at 11' throw. Just using dark brown walls until screen gets here my initial thoughts are:

The 12' ceiling and 11' throw make the picture too high, i've shifted as low as possible and the top of the picture is just under 8'

Blacks and detail are amazing on blu. Used THX.

Watched some of the game in THX it was too dull, dynamic was much better

Only had it on for a half hour but was hoping the Elite 1.1 screen will be better than dark brown walls and I think I have to mount farther back or use a drop rod to lower the picture. The 100" picture though is sick!
post #378 of 2925 Old 11-30-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DedicatedHT View Post

Only had it on for a half hour but was hoping the Elite 1.1 screen will be better than dark brown walls

I think a bed sheet would be better than dark brown walls! What color is your ceiling/floor? I'm finding a lot of stray light coming from those sources, so I'm contemplating my options.
post #379 of 2925 Old 11-30-2010, 06:34 AM

1080i uverse dynamic
LL
post #380 of 2925 Old 11-30-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerofan34 View Post
newbie question here: It took about 4 months of reading, but I finally have decided on the Epson 8700 and have it coming in a couple days, but I was waiting to buy a screen.

I have a white ceiling, but a VERY well light controlled room. I can fit a screen up to 106" and the seats will be 10' back. I was told by Magnolia/BestBuy to get a 1.0 gain screen for that scenario, but my concern was that that was the one they had on hand

If I could trouble those who are far more knowledgeable than I (everyone reading this), what would you recommend for A. Fixed frame (brand, gain, etc) or B. Ceiling recessed.

I would seriously look at the Carada screen with brilliant white material. They claim a 1.3 gain but I think it is closer to 1.2 or 1.1. This is what I have and really like it.

Fixed frames will be cheaper.... If you go with a retractable screen I would get a tensioned one, just to be certain you won't have wrinkles develop.
post #381 of 2925 Old 11-30-2010, 07:22 AM

Has anyone set one of these up for use with a ps3 or xbox360? Curious about input lag.
post #382 of 2925 Old 11-30-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlusco
Has anyone set one of these up for use with a ps3 or xbox360? Curious about input lag.
I hooked up the original xbox a few weekends ago when some old college buddies came over to relive the old days. Didn't notice any issue with lag, not sure if it would be different since the old uses component vs hdmi.
post #383 of 2925 Old 11-30-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerofan34

I have a 1.1 gain screen projector is about 15' back and seating is 10-11' I also have a white ceiling. I really don't have any complaints. With that said I am mounting black velvet to the ceiling to give me a more immersive feeling the ceiling does light up when bright scenes or objects are being projected.
post #384 of 2925 Old 11-30-2010, 04:56 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlusco View Post

I've played Gears of War, Halo Reach, and Forza 3 on mine so far. No problems whatsoever over my 50 ft HDMI run. It plays just like it does on my 22" monitor with a 3 ft cable run.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #385 of 2925 Old 11-30-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

I've played Gears of War, Halo Reach, and Forza 3 on mine so far. No problems whatsoever over my 50 ft HDMI run. It plays just like it does on my 22" monitor with a 3 ft cable run.

you shouldnt have any issues at 50ft HDMI Cable...
When you get over 75-80 have heard of some issues
Long runs like that i would go cat 6 then use a cat 6 to hdmi adapter....
post #386 of 2925 Old 12-01-2010, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Get a good HDMI cable and 50' is no problem. Note...good doesn't equal expensive...
post #387 of 2925 Old 12-02-2010, 06:46 AM
Vao

what is the difference between 8350 and 8700 when we talking about anamorphic ready option?

Both of them can switch from 16:9 to 2.35:1 eliminating the black bars. Both of them are not Powered Zoom, but Manual Zoom!

So ?

JVC DLA-X35, 150" 2.35:1 Flat Screen
post #388 of 2925 Old 12-02-2010, 03:54 PM

Just wanted to give a big thumbs up to this projector.

134" Carada Criterion BW 16:9 Screen
14 Foot Throw 9FT Ceiling Mount
Light Controlled Room
40FT HDMI 1.4 High Speed Cable

Truly amazing; the picture quality is amazing and I don't hear it at all during movies.

The only negative I'd give it is the manual picture size/focus needs to be tweaked every now and then (I suspect the sub is shaking the ceiling a bit). Wish that automatically went to the correct setting each time it powered up - but a minor issue.
post #389 of 2925 Old 12-02-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vao View Post

what is the difference between 8350 and 8700 when we talking about anamorphic ready option?

Both of them can switch from 16:9 to 2.35:1 eliminating the black bars. Both of them are not Powered Zoom, but Manual Zoom!

So ?

Sorry for asking, but do I need an external anamorphic lens on the 8700 to display 2.35:1? I didn't think so, but the manual (p. 27) seems to suggest otherwise.

I just got my projector last night and have to decide between purchasing a 16:9 or 2.35:1 screen. My preference is for the 2.35:1, but not if I need to purchase an external lens to make it work.

Also, what throw distance from the ceiling to screen do I need for a 136" diagonal (125x53) 2.35:1 screen? Is there a precise distance to mount from the screen, or a range with adjustments made on the projector?

Last, with viewing distances of about 12' and 17' (two rows), am I going too big with the 136" screen? The equivalent 16:9 screen dimensions would be a 108" diagonal (95x53).

Thanks!!!
post #390 of 2925 Old 12-03-2010, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Yes, you need an A-lens to display 2.35:1 properly. 8700 just Vertical stretch for you, and you need the lens to get it back to proper 2.35:1 ratio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page