post #451 of 2898 Old 12-10-2010, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vao View Post

Does 8700 really looks like that?

Nope. I would bet that the 8350 defaults to Dynamic or some other mode, but I recall my 8700 defaulting to THX (since they just use the exact out-of-box settings). Another reason that there's all sorts of factors (often on the camera and setup side) that make "screenshots" somewhat useless in evaluating a projector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2898 Old 12-10-2010, 06:41 PM

I just received my 8700UB from visual apex. My old projector was hooked up component video and then component switching from the receiver to each source (dvd,Dish,ect..) Now that I have a projector that will do HDMI, should I hook it up to the receiver via HDMI and then keep the component switching in place? I do not believe my Integra reciever does HDMI switching. Will this lead to a better looking picture switching out the 25' run of component to the receiver with HDMI or would I need a receiver that does HDMI switching to notice a big difference? Thanks for your help! Job H
post #453 of 2898 Old 12-10-2010, 08:23 PM

Liked: 11
Job also make sure your receiver will pass 1080p. Mine doesn't so I ran 35' hdmi straight to projector from blu, then optical to receiver for audio. Audio not as good now but 1080p on the 8700 is sick
post #454 of 2898 Old 12-10-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vao View Post

Look at the demo of 8700 and 8350!

http://www.hometheaterpeople.com/pro...ideo-demos.asp
Does 8700 really looks like that?

Vao this rant has nothing to do with you ,
you have every right to ask this question
i am just *issed at hometheaterpeople for putting something like this up...

Okay if people really use that site to demo projectors,
someone seriously get a gun and shoot peter the puck,

Time to take everyone to a segment i like to call Really
By Fraisa...

Really a site that has a video to judge a projector
Really someone is going to use this to make a purchase choice...
Dont bother with a local dealer who specializes in 2 piece projection just watch this side by side video comparision...
Thats like getting the president of iran to host a womans Rights convention
Really....

Really now we are going to get everyone who bought a 8700 to second guess thinking they should have got the 8350 so they can save money...
Really who cares if the blacks and contrast is better on the higher end models
because i saw a side by side video on a website and it has to be justified because after all it is on the internet,
And i have to believe it cause gosh darn its on the Internet......
Really...

This has Been Really brought to you by Fraisa...
Anyone else is welcomed to chime in.....
Really..................
post #455 of 2898 Old 12-11-2010, 03:48 AM
Vao

Yeah and according to this demos all Pj's are with the same black levels..
post #456 of 2898 Old 12-11-2010, 07:58 PM

Hi all,

Just finished watching Baraka with the wife, and shut the PJ off using the power button on the top. The PJ fan turned on high for about a minute after it shut down, and both the TEMP and LAMP LEDs were flashing red. The LEDs continued flashing until after the fan stopped running.

I read the manual and it states that I should unplug it and contact Epson. I powered it off and then on again (using the rear "hard" power switch), and the regular blue "power" light came back on.

Is this an indication of an impending failure?

EDIT: I've ran the PJ two times since this happened last night, and it worked OK. I thought it might be a heat problem, but it is ceiling mounted, and has at least 8" of space between it and the back wall.
post #457 of 2898 Old 12-12-2010, 05:45 PM

Hi all,

I've replaced my failing PT-AE700U with the 8700UB. I'm running a 35ft component cable from my receiver to the projector. This worked fine with the Panny, but I am now experiencing some interference showing up in horizontal lines moving up the screen. It is appearing in all input sources going through the receiver.

As a trial, I plugged my PS3 straight into the projector, using the PS3's component output, and saw no interference.

I thought the cable I have is of pretty good quality (it seems to be built from RG-59), but now I am wondering if upgrading it to a quad-shield RG-6 based cable would fix this?

Has anyone experienced this kind of interference over component cabling?

Thanks!
post #458 of 2898 Old 12-12-2010, 07:34 PM

^^Are you doing 1080p over component? Dump the component and go HDMI. Even if you have to upgrade your receiver to an up-converting unit, I highly recommend it. Unless you've got some super high end analog receiver, do yourself a huge favor and go to HDMI. Component cabling is analog, and at high frequencies is going to be prone to a log of interference issues. Maybe you could try ferrites on the ends potentially?

I'm running 35ft HDMI via my Yamaha up-converting receiver with no issues. As someone said here, high quality != high price.
post #459 of 2898 Old 12-12-2010, 09:18 PM

I would like to do a 119" screen from just over a 12' throw. The calculator says it'll do it but at what sacrifice? This pj is for my living room so the extra light would be a plus but will being at max zoom hurt the picture quality?
post #460 of 2898 Old 12-13-2010, 09:36 AM

I want to upgrade from my Studio Experience 2HD projector (Sanyo Z2) to a Epson 8700UB. However, I have a chance to purchase a refurbished 8500UB from another vendor at 25% off the sale price of the 8700UB. This includes a full warranty but not an extra bulb. I would like some opinions on what might be the better choice. Seems to me their is not much difference between the two. I would be projecting onto a Stewart Firehawk 92" 16x9 screen.
post #461 of 2898 Old 12-13-2010, 07:58 PM

Made a purchase of the 8700 tonight, cant wait for Friday!
post #462 of 2898 Old 12-13-2010, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
So i went through a few 8500s and got upgraded to an 8700. Now I am seeing this it's a purple color along the bottom right and edge.

There is also a faint circle when the screen is black it looks the size of a basketball. I can barley make it out so I wasn't going to send it in but now with this purple edge I'm thinking I should?

Am I being too picky? I can live with some issues and a dim dust blob can pass but I do expect most things to look good. I just hate unmounting and mounting. I just want one that works. I love epson and have owned most since the 1080 and just with the 8500 have I started to have issues but even tonight the wife is like maybe we need to look outside of epson.

Thoughts?
LL
post #463 of 2898 Old 12-14-2010, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobuyersremorse View Post

I would like to do a 119" screen from just over a 12' throw. The calculator says it'll do it but at what sacrifice? This pj is for my living room so the extra light would be a plus but will being at max zoom hurt the picture quality?

You have that backwards, you are near MIN zoom. But it should look very good still

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #464 of 2898 Old 12-14-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

You have that backwards, you are near MIN zoom. But it should look very good still

How is it minimum zoom if it is zoomed out all the way to make the largest picture possible? Am I missing something here as well?
post #465 of 2898 Old 12-15-2010, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreydc

How is it minimum zoom if it is zoomed out all the way to make the largest picture possible? Am I missing something here as well?
Think of using a camera, at the smallest zoom setting you have the widest field of view. It's a wide-angle vs telephoto thing.
post #466 of 2898 Old 12-15-2010, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreydc View Post
yes, the above poster is correct.

Wide angle = min zoom = biggest picture = wide field of view
Telephoto = max zoom = smallest picture = narrow field of view

The terminology is kept consistent with what happens with a camera.

When you use max zoom on a Epson, you are using up MORE of the 2.1:1 zoom range of the Epson. That's why it can be placed further back than other projectors.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #467 of 2898 Old 12-15-2010, 12:50 PM

Uggh. Im 13 days past the 30 day window for the free lamp. Im so pissed at myself now. Has anyone been able to get a lamp after the 30 days. Ive called Epson and they referred me to someone within the rebate department who might can help. I've sent all the stuff in today.....fingers crossed.h
post #468 of 2898 Old 12-15-2010, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post

So i went through a few 8500s and got upgraded to an 8700. Now I am seeing this it's a purple color along the bottom right and edge.

There is also a faint circle when the screen is black it looks the size of a basketball. I can barley make it out so I wasn't going to send it in but now with this purple edge I'm thinking I should?

Am I being too picky? I can live with some issues and a dim dust blob can pass but I do expect most things to look good. I just hate unmounting and mounting. I just want one that works. I love epson and have owned most since the 1080 and just with the 8500 have I started to have issues but even tonight the wife is like maybe we need to look outside of epson.

Thoughts?

The circle looks like a dust blob, the color fringe might be the filter that gets used in THX mode. Try dynamic and see if it goes away. I noticed this projector has a strong red, must be the filter is red in color for the UHP lamp. You guys notice red looks allot deeper than other projectors you've seen?

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #469 of 2898 Old 12-15-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

The circle looks like a dust blob, the color fringe might be the filter that gets used in THX mode. Try dynamic and see if it goes away.

I noticed a similar color fringe artifact on the left side of my image, and under dynamic it doesn't go away, it just gets harder to notice due to the increased brightness. It's odd because I remembered seeing someone here who had the same problem on the right side of their image, so I was actually looking for it during the initial 4-10 hours, but didn't see it until the other day. I also sort of recall reading something in a thread here about it possibly being caused by the LCD panels being unevenly affected by lamp heat during initial use, but that after a longer break-in period the effect would average out and the problem may go away. Anyone know?
post #470 of 2898 Old 12-15-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParanoidDroid View Post

Uggh. Im 13 days past the 30 day window for the free lamp. Im so pissed at myself now. Has anyone been able to get a lamp after the 30 days. Ive called Epson and they referred me to someone within the rebate department who might can help. I've sent all the stuff in today.....fingers crossed.h

which # on the box is the serial #, doing mine now
post #471 of 2898 Old 12-15-2010, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Hi AVS'ers,

I just purchased the 8700UB, my very first projector and am thus far very happy! I tested the projecter with a 120" 16:9 image on a light tan textured and painted wall and impressed with how well it looks on such an unimproved surface. Using the AVS forum calibration images with the single pixel test pattern convergence appears to be very good, only if I am standing right at the wall can I see that the vertical red is one pixel to the right and everything else is dead on! For the longest time I planned on buying the Panny 4000, but then after realizing that #1, I am width limited, and #2 I am not that bothered by black bars, I decided I would rather have the largest possible 16:9 and 2.35 image I could. I was also swayed by the free lamp, and Epsons customer service should I have any problems. Now that I am satisfied that I got a good unit, it is time to put it away and get to work finishing the theatre! (Will be posting a build thread soon!)

-Brent
post #472 of 2898 Old 12-16-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DedicatedHT View Post

I put the product number as a I didn't see any number labeled "serial".
post #473 of 2898 Old 12-16-2010, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
So I called and they are sending a replacement. I have never had dust issues until I received one that had the dust blob right when I turned it on. Now having two more makes me think I'm doing something wrong.

I don't think my house is any more dusty than the next. I keep my media room clean and it doesn't see a ton of use.

Any tips on how to prevent anymore? I'm just scared they will keep showing up.

I'm sure epson is getting tired of me calling lol.
post #474 of 2898 Old 12-16-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DedicatedHT View Post

There should be a tear off stuck to the box next to the UPC which has the serial number on it. Also if you look at the projector itself it is on a sticker on the side that has all of the inputs.
post #475 of 2898 Old 12-16-2010, 11:12 AM

Anyone know how to check the status of the bulb "rebate" form sent in? I sent my paperwork in a month ago and have not heard anything.
post #476 of 2898 Old 12-16-2010, 12:28 PM

FYi
Have posted pics of the 8700 twin brother on a 1.4 gain SI Screen
over at the Epson 9700 Thread...
post #477 of 2898 Old 12-16-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Gearhead View Post

I want to upgrade from my Studio Experience 2HD projector (Sanyo Z2) to a Epson 8700UB. However, I have a chance to purchase a refurbished 8500UB from another vendor at 25% off the sale price of the 8700UB. This includes a full warranty but not an extra bulb. I would like some opinions on what might be the better choice. Seems to me their is not much difference between the two. I would be projecting onto a Stewart Firehawk 92" 16x9 screen.

Can anyone take a shot at this one? Im pondering the same thing. Im close to pulling the trigger on the refurb 8500UB, but if theres some advantage outside of a free bulb with the 8700UB, I'd like to know what it is...

Thanks.
post #478 of 2898 Old 12-16-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezit73 View Post

Hi AVS'ers,

I just purchased the 8700UB, my very first projector and am thus far very happy! I tested the projecter with a 120" 16:9 image on a light tan textured and painted wall and impressed with how well it looks on such an unimproved surface. Using the AVS forum calibration images with the single pixel test pattern convergence appears to be very good, only if I am standing right at the wall can I see that the vertical red is one pixel to the right and everything else is dead on! For the longest time I planned on buying the Panny 4000, but then after realizing that #1, I am width limited, and #2 I am not that bothered by black bars, I decided I would rather have the largest possible 16:9 and 2.35 image I could. I was also swayed by the free lamp, and Epsons customer service should I have any problems. Now that I am satisfied that I got a good unit, it is time to put it away and get to work finishing the theatre! (Will be posting a build thread soon!)

-Brent

where did you get these calibration images?
post #479 of 2898 Old 12-16-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post

So I called and they are sending a replacement. I have never had dust issues until I received one that had the dust blob right when I turned it on. Now having two more makes me think I'm doing something wrong.

I don't think my house is any more dusty than the next. I keep my media room clean and it doesn't see a ton of use.

Any tips on how to prevent anymore? I'm just scared they will keep showing up.

I'm sure epson is getting tired of me calling lol.

My room is pretty dusty and I haven't had any dust problems with any of my 8500/8700 units that weren't that way out of the box so unless you're intentionally trying to get dust in there you probably aren't doing anything wrong. And there's no need to worry about Epson getting tired of you calling since they have the best customer service I've encountered.

Also, a final update with a happy ending to my projector issues. I was moved up to a level 2 tech when I called in and he was astounded by how many units I've gone through so issued an order to have my final replacement quality checked before being sent out to me. This is by far the best unit out of any of the 8500s and 8700s I've had as it has the best convergence at only about .5-1 pixel off on red and green, no major discoloration along the edges and very good uniformity across the entire screen. It is by no means perfect, but then I wasn't really looking for perfection and of course there's no such thing as perfection.

Needless to say the 8700 throws a wonderful picture, particularly directly out of the box. I can probably just watch on the THX without calibrating anything other than the brightness/contrast and be happy with it. The 8500 very noticeably tended toward green even on THX. I do have one annoying issue, though. This unit seems to have a harder time syncing with my ATI 5850 at 23.976hz and 59.94hz than my previous units did. It keeps locking in at 60.11hz and 24.01hz. Not too big a deal and is probably more the 5850's fault than the projector's, but it's there.
post #480 of 2898 Old 12-16-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerers View Post

My room is pretty dusty and I haven't had any dust problems with any of my 8500/8700 units that weren't that way out of the box so unless you're intentionally trying to get dust in there you probably aren't doing anything wrong. And there's no need to worry about Epson getting tired of you calling since they have the best customer service I've encountered.

Also, a final update with a happy ending to my projector issues. I was moved up to a level 2 tech when I called in and he was astounded by how many units I've gone through so issued an order to have my final replacement quality checked before being sent out to me. This is by far the best unit out of any of the 8500s and 8700s I've had as it has the best convergence at only about .5-1 pixel off on red and green, no major discoloration along the edges and very good uniformity across the entire screen. It is by no means perfect, but then I wasn't really looking for perfection and of course there's no such thing as perfection.

Needless to say the 8700 throws a wonderful picture, particularly directly out of the box. I can probably just watch on the THX without calibrating anything other than the brightness/contrast and be happy with it. The 8500 very noticeably tended toward green even on THX. I do have one annoying issue, though. This unit seems to have a harder time syncing with my ATI 5850 at 23.976hz and 59.94hz than my previous units did. It keeps locking in at 60.11hz and 24.01hz. Not too big a deal and is probably more the 5850's fault than the projector's, but it's there.

Always ask for a 2nd tier level support and for the unit to be sent into that person for Inspection...
and then have them ship a unit to you...
They can and will do that...
Glad to hear your happy ending...
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page