The official Epson 8700UB thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #631 of 2898 Old 01-02-2011, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you look closely in the above pic, you can see some greenish hue on the left and right of the picture prob about 1/3 the total length of the screen on each side. It looks worse than what it is showing in the picture......

I was thinking maybe its the screen causing it...(hi contrast cinema vision by dalite) but after more thought, I dont think it is the screen because my mitsi HD1000 did not have this issue what so ever. The mitsi is a DLP......

So Im curiouse.......Do you guys think I should send it back??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2898 Old 01-02-2011, 06:20 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandroidxl View Post

Black Diamond Samples were free. I just called SI directly and asked if I could purchase a sample, and they said they would send them out free of charge.

Thats because SI is one of the Best Screen companies on the market...
The 8700 on a Black Diamond is a Killer COmbo....

post #633 of 2898 Old 01-02-2011, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraisa View Post

Thats because SI is one of the Best Screen companies on the market...
The 8700 on a Black Diamond is a Killer COmbo....

u are probably right but why do they have to charge so much $$$
post #634 of 2898 Old 01-02-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos1965 View Post

Ask them that sure they would give you an answer....
post #635 of 2898 Old 01-02-2011, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos1965 View Post

because they can.

If there are people that are buying your product at $2600, will decreasing your price give you more profit?

It's supply and demand. They probably looked at the existing market and said ours is a lot better (and it is), so we can charge more.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #636 of 2898 Old 01-02-2011, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

it does seem odd to me. I think I would send it back

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #637 of 2898 Old 01-03-2011, 09:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

fraisa,

All your talk about this black diamond screen has prompted me to call SI and get some samples to take a look at for myself. I should be getting the samples next week some time.

I just built a screen using dalite High contrast cinema vision screen material, so Im not sure my wife would be too happy if went out and purchased a new screen material.....but if its worth the heat I would get, then maybe I'll just have to pull the trigger........

Would I be able to stretch this material on a home made frame? I saw a video of this screen and it looks like it is a flexible non stretch plastic.....

Do note Frasia is a dealer for these 2 items...just pointing that out.
post #638 of 2898 Old 01-03-2011, 10:50 AM

I was wondering why he kept 'mentioning' them.
post #639 of 2898 Old 01-03-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
If you look closely in the above pic, you can see some greenish hue on the left and right of the picture prob about 1/3 the total length of the screen on each side. It looks worse than what it is showing in the picture......

I was thinking maybe its the screen causing it...(hi contrast cinema vision by dalite) but after more thought, I dont think it is the screen because my mitsi HD1000 did not have this issue what so ever. The mitsi is a DLP......

Thanks. I can see it. Gonna check mine when I have time.
post #640 of 2898 Old 01-06-2011, 11:54 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by calimark View Post

He doesn't go around stating it, that's for sure. I'd sure as hell research the "real" user reviews on various forums about that screen before sinking that type of money into one.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #641 of 2898 Old 01-06-2011, 01:58 PM

It's hard picking a screen, so many different pros and cons. If your sitting dead center or 30 degrees to left or right of center you will get an excellent picture. Move out of the narrow cone and things start to go downhill. Guess it depends where you and your guests sit. I like my reference screen because everyone sees the exact same thing no matter where you sit\\stand, but the tradeoff is ambient light performance.
post #642 of 2898 Old 01-06-2011, 02:55 PM

I have alot of screen shots from different angles over at my 9700 thread,
again all shots are on the SI screen.
and to be honest if i could I would have more screens from different manufactors in my room ,
but i have to hit the lotto max first.
post #643 of 2898 Old 01-07-2011, 01:17 PM

Anyone else having problems with sloppy shift knobs , and picture drifting on the
Epson 8700UB ? Mine is drifting a couple of inches every couple of hours of playing

& what do you guys think of a Elite cinewhite 135" paired with the 8700 ?
post #644 of 2898 Old 01-07-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandtra View Post

Anyone else having problems with sloppy shift knobs , and picture drifting on the
Epson 8700UB ? Mine is drifting a couple of inches every couple of hours of playing

Fortunately my shift isn't drifting, but my BIGGEST complaint from the Epson is the totally cheesy shift mechanism. While I don't need it to be motorized, at LEAST make the knobs stiffer, with finer adjustment.

Frankly, it should be a screw or Allen key adjustment.
post #645 of 2898 Old 01-07-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnmra View Post

Fortunately my shift isn't drifting, but my BIGGEST complaint from the Epson is the totally cheesy shift mechanism. While I don't need it to be motorized, at LEAST make the knobs stiffer, with finer adjustment.

Frankly, it should be a screw or Allen key adjustment.

I could not agree more. You think Epson even looks at these threads? or cares what we OWNERS think?
post #646 of 2898 Old 01-07-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:

I could not agree more. You think Epson even looks at these threads? or cares what we OWNERS think?

Being an engineer, I often wish I could sit in on the meetings where "bad designs" are conceived. This is one of them.

What boggles me is that this is the third or forth generation (if not more??) of projectors with this lens shift design. It feels like it is attached to some sort of gear mechanism that has a LOT of play. Often times it "overshoots". I think even if you were to crazy glue the knobs down, the internal mechanism would slip anyway because of the amount of play in there.

My distance to the screen is only about 13', but I suspect that at larger distances, the effect of the shift is even greater. For a PJ with such an outstanding image and feature set, this design is frankly a joke, and what is most disappointing is that none of the reviews I've read criticize Epson for this.

The reality is that the people that post here probably represent less than 1% of total owners, so ultimately, no, I don't think they care what "we" think.
post #647 of 2898 Old 01-07-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnmra View Post

Being an engineer, I often wish I could sit in on the meetings where "bad designs" are conceived. This is one of them.

What boggles me is that this is the third or forth generation (if not more??) of projectors with this lens shift design. It feels like it is attached to some sort of gear mechanism that has a LOT of play. Often times it "overshoots". I think even if you were to crazy glue the knobs down, the internal mechanism would slip anyway because of the amount of play in there.

My distance to the screen is only about 13', but I suspect that at larger distances, the effect of the shift is even greater. For a PJ with such an outstanding image and feature set, this design is frankly a joke, and what is most disappointing is that none of the reviews I've read criticize Epson for this.

The reality is that the people that post here probably represent less than 1% of total owners, so ultimately, no, I don't think they care what "we" think.

I too have noticed that the 2 big reviewers of Projectors seem to never have a bad thing to say about a projector.Though they do seem to prefer some over others. I would like to ask ART that question. The Epson projectors he has demo'd didnt have sloppy shift knobs? but every owner I have heard from says they do. I really would like to hear his response to this question. Anyone know how to contact him? (ART)
post #648 of 2898 Old 01-07-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calimark View Post
LOL. That is why I questioned him earlier. Why would I spend more on a screen than my projector costs? It seems like overkill to me.
post #649 of 2898 Old 01-07-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I too have noticed that the 2 big reviewers of Projectors seem to never have a bad thing to say about a projector.Though they do seem to prefer some over others. I would like to ask ART that question. The Epson projectors he has demo'd didnt have sloppy shift knobs? but every owner I have heard from says they do. I really would like to hear his response to this question. Anyone know how to contact him? (ART)
I don't think they are bad, but you are getting an entry level projector. I have never had issues with screen drift with my Epson projectors. I did have the focusing issue with my 6500UB though, that was corrected.
post #650 of 2898 Old 01-07-2011, 04:16 PM

The lens shift is a pain, but I have not experienced any drifting on mine.
post #651 of 2898 Old 01-07-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunction26 View Post
I don't think they are bad, but you are getting an entry level projector. I have never had issues with screen drift with my Epson projectors. I did have the focusing issue with my 6500UB though, that was corrected.
I don't really agree that the 8700 is an entry level projector. It may be far from top of the line , but there are many projectors with FAR less performance , and less in price. The Optoma HD-20, the Mitsubishi's 3800 - 4000 , the Benq's , As far as Home theater projectors go The epson 8700 , the pana 4000 , and the Jvc 250 , all three are very good values for the money. to get much noticeable difference in quality you would spend WAY more and most cases more than double the price
post #652 of 2898 Old 01-07-2011, 05:12 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't really agree that the 8700 is an entry level projector. It may be far from top of the line , but there are many projectors with FAR less performance , and less in price. The Optoma HD-20, the Mitsubishi's 3800 - 4000 , the Benq's , As far as Home theater projectors go The epson 8700 , the pana 4000 , and the Jvc 250 , all three are very good values for the money. to get much noticeable difference in quality you would spend WAY more and most cases more than double the price
I hooked up my 5 year old Panasonic AE900 last night for comparison since I was selling my 8700 (I thought) and wanted to see how it looked after running the Epson. The difference isn't that big, and the Panny is a 720p projector from '05.

There's no excuse for the lens shift in the Epson. It's absolutely horrendous for a $2200 projector in 2010. The old Panny has it solidly beaten in that regard. It's actually laughable.

I also question these professional reviews now that I own the 8700. Someone is either getting paid under the table or doesn't need to be reviewing projectors.

Stephen.

post #653 of 2898 Old 01-07-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
I hooked up my 5 year old Panasonic AE900 last night for comparison since I was selling my 8700 (I thought) and wanted to see how it looked after running the Epson. The difference isn't that big, and the Panny is a 720p projector from '05.

There's no excuse for the lens shift in the Epson. It's absolutely horrendous for a $2200 projector in 2010. The old Panny has it solidly beaten in that regard. It's actually laughable.

I also question these professional reviews now that I own the 8700. Someone is either getting paid under the table or doesn't need to be reviewing projectors.
Couldn't agree more about the reviews. Maybe it's all the freebies they get . I'm sure they have to return the projectors , but i'm sure they get to keep a lot of goodies
post #654 of 2898 Old 01-07-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:

Couldn't agree more about the reviews. Maybe it's all the freebies they get . I'm sure they have to return the projectors , but i'm sure they get to keep a lot of goodies

Wow. The only reason I picked a Panny 900 or a Panny 200 was account of the two main reviewers out there. They are putting their personal reputations on the line. If they wanted to direct people to poor products, their websites wouldn't have grown to the extent they have. You would of cried foul and bought a Runco.
Come on guys, if they weren't doing ALL the work to review these items, how would you choose?
When I was first looking at front projectors, I was thinking about a $10,000 plus projector. It was only after I read Art's review on the Panny 900 did I buy one for a fifth of the price I was willing to spend.
I don't know Art personally, but I trust his opinion fully. He tells me exactly how the projector is going to perform.
Even the high dollar projectors have design flaws. I just saw an Anthem/JVC at a high end store and the salesman showed me where the HDMI cord got kinked because the inputs were on the side. Broke the HDMI input after time.
We always have to do work arounds when dealing with electronics. It's the nature of the beast.
post #655 of 2898 Old 01-07-2011, 06:18 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smorsm3 View Post

It was only after I read Art's review on the Panny 900 did I buy one for a fifth of the price I was willing to spend.
I don't know Art personally, but I trust his opinion fully. He tells me exactly how the projector is going to perform.

I thought the same until I actually owned the much touted Epson and had a 5 year old projector to compare it to.

Stephen.

post #656 of 2898 Old 01-07-2011, 06:52 PM

I suspect there had to be some cuts to get this quality of picture under $2K. I can easily see that if this was my 3rd or so projector it would bother me more. But as a first projector I'm OK with putting my $$ all into the picture and giving up on features.
post #657 of 2898 Old 01-07-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smorsm3 View Post

Wow. The only reason I picked a Panny 900 or a Panny 200 was account of the two main reviewers out there. They are putting their personal reputations on the line. If they wanted to direct people to poor products, their websites wouldn't have grown to the extent they have. You would of cried foul and bought a Runco.
Come on guys, if they weren't doing ALL the work to review these items, how would you choose?
When I was first looking at front projectors, I was thinking about a $10,000 plus projector. It was only after I read Art's review on the Panny 900 did I buy one for a fifth of the price I was willing to spend.
Even the high dollar projectors have design flaws. I just saw an Anthem/JVC at a high end store and the salesman showed me where the HDMI cord got kinked because the inputs were on the side. Broke the HDMI input after time.
We always have to do work around when dealing with electronics. It's the nature of the beast.

Most of us have read the reviews on the newer digital projectors. I read for HOURS and hours before buying my last one the, Epson 8700. I think the picture is great (no complaints). But all were saying is : something that stands way out of character like the construction of the (shift wheels) when compared to the picture quality ,and other features, and not a word about it in either major reviews ???? I'm sorry but it Makes me scratch my head as to why? We trust those guys to give us the inside info , the good and the bad Did they NOT use the shift at all . You cant miss it if you have actually tried to set one of the units up the reviews talked about black levels more than anything else IMO. From what I have read from actual OWNERS not reviewers . everyone is in pretty much agreement the shift wheels are junk COMPARED to the picture quality and other features. Is that enough for me to want to return mine? No I will deal with it If I must
post #658 of 2898 Old 01-07-2011, 09:08 PM

The reviewers probably don't say anything about the shift because they assume this kind of projector is going to be mounted 99% of the time. That being the case you only have to touch the shift controls once.
post #659 of 2898 Old 01-07-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:

From what I have read from actual OWNERS not reviewers . everyone is in pretty much agreement the shift wheels are junk COMPARED to the picture quality and other features. Is that enough for me to want to return mine? No I will deal with it If I must

LOL, very true. The rotation wheel on my kids toy microscope is more stable. However, the quality of the projected image makes up for it big time !
post #660 of 2898 Old 01-08-2011, 07:25 AM

I've had mine for about 1.5 weeks and my lense hasn't drifted a single mm yet. I'm also very happy with the picture, picking up the Disney WOW BD today and will hopefully be even more happy after calibration.

Seeing all these negative posts is making me second guess :s But too late now since I already have 132 hours on it in 10 days!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page