The official Epson 8700UB thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #181 of 2898 Old 11-04-2010, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Forgot to mention... That is on a 110" 16:9 screen, with a short throw (about 13 feet).

Math says I should be getting about 21 ft-lamberts. So either my meter is wrong or the projector isn't putting out what it is supposed to be....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2898 Old 11-04-2010, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by engelba View Post

Forgot to mention... That is on a 110" 16:9 screen, with a short throw (about 13 feet).

Math says I should be getting about 21 ft-lamberts. So either my meter is wrong or the projector isn't putting out what it is supposed to be....

Again, according to Art, at around mid-zoom (close to what you have), his pre-production unit measure 460lumens with HIGH lamp (500 lumens with his production unit but that's his projection based on his measurement on only 1 mode). So, 500/(35)*1.3 = 19fL.
Since it is a high gain screen, your meter location might have some effect on the measured lumens... and depending on how you set your contrast, this could be different as well. Last, I assume you use HIGH-lamp, if you use low-lamp, this will likely drop 20% or so (i.e. 15fL).. and then how close you are when you are measuring, and your position/shadow might also affect the reading.
If you are within 10% of the measurement above, honestly I won't sweat about it.
post #183 of 2898 Old 11-05-2010, 07:29 AM

Still no calibration settings on ProjectorReviews.com.
post #184 of 2898 Old 11-05-2010, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Art doesn't calibrate projectors...what settings were you waiting for?

I have done a number of the 8700's but posting them would be relatively pointless as everyone is different...
post #185 of 2898 Old 11-05-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk View Post

Art doesn't calibrate projectors...what settings were you waiting for?

I have done a number of the 8700's but posting them would be relatively pointless as everyone is different...

He posts the general calibration settings they came up with, they worked great on my 6500UB. I am hoping they look as good on my 8700UB.
post #186 of 2898 Old 11-05-2010, 08:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Right, but those you can do yourself...and better. Basically pick up a test disc...such as Avia, DVE, Spears and Munsil, etc... Run it through your player and it will walk you through how to properly adjust the various settings (although you cannot do things like grayscale and such since you need special equipment to do that). For the $25ish investment, that will allow you to setup your displays (all of them) properly for your room and sources...
post #187 of 2898 Old 11-05-2010, 09:41 AM

Good news! this is a copy and paste and I have called to confirm it.. I can post a direct link to the forum but not sure if thats ok, Good news for AVS!

" Epson Home Theater Gray Market Facts
Shopping for an Epson HT projector in Canada?

STOP EVERYTHING!

Canadian Epson home theater projector resellers, ie 8350 and 8700UB, will advise you that US imports aren't covered by a Canadian warranty.

I can tell you definitively that this is not the case.

Epson corporate had advised that they will cover gray market imports into Canada.

That means that Epson home theater projectors imported by some re-sellers, are completely, 100% legit, covered and backed by Epson regarding warranties, etc. They're also less expensive.

Here's the email from Epson -

Hi XXXXXXXXXXX,

Thank you for your interest in Epson projectors. Our warranty would cover you if you ordered in the US, however, we have built a dealer channel in Canada to service Canadians and would prefer the business stay in Canada, however, that is your decision to make.

I would ask that you call Brian Evans at WhalePods and see if there is something he can help you with on the pricing side.

He can be reached at 604 925 4666.

Judy Burns
Account Manager, Projection Products
Epson Canada Ltd.
************ (direct)
j*********s@ea.epson.com
Mobile: **********

For the record, WhalePods is a Canadian distributor, not a reseller of Epson projectors, which means that they really shouldn't be selling to the end user. BUT, and this is important -

Because they are a distributor and not a re-seller, they pay less for the projector than your local store or web site does. Which means that they can afford to sell it to the public, us, for less than their regular sales channels. If they pay less, then so should you.

It's interesting that Judy is recommending that you buy from a distributor in Canada, or buy from the US. More or less leaves their Canadian stores completely out of the loop.

So, the lesson here is -

i) buy from the US. You'll save money and have a valid warranty.

ii) if you don't import from the US, buy direct from the Canadian distributor, WhalePods. They can sell the projector cheaper than the stores because they pay less, bottom line.

Hat tip to Epson. They're opening up the Canadian market HUGE with this move.

The question becomes why? Why cut out the mom and pop stores and go direct to the distributors? I know Epson wasn't selling well with the 8100 and 8500UB. It's possible that they felt they weren't getting the support of the HT stores, which is no surprise given the disappointing performance of the older models. It's possible that the newer models are expected to be awful and they're getting aggressive even before they hit the street. If so, do not shoot the messenger!!!

HD_GUY"
post #188 of 2898 Old 11-05-2010, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Interesting. Though do note, for the 8700UB there are only about 4 authorized US dealers (ourselves is one)...point being they may cover shipments to Canada, but only if bought from legit US dealers.

Good news though!
post #189 of 2898 Old 11-05-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Interesting. Though do note, for the 8700UB there are only about 4 authorized US dealers (ourselves is one)...point being they may cover shipments to Canada, but only if bought from legit US dealers.

Good news though!
Totally. Canadians can buy Epson projectors from the US (AVS) or whom ever and have a Canadian warranty thanks to Epson! I think you guys will be selling some more Epson projectors once this spreads!
post #190 of 2898 Old 11-05-2010, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well it is good news especially for you Canadians...personally I think the warranty issue is pretty stupid...I can see it being different for overseas, but we are all part of North America!
post #191 of 2898 Old 11-05-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Well it is good news especially for you Canadians...personally I think the warranty issue is pretty stupid...I can see it being different for overseas, but we are all part of North America!
Yeah for sure. JVC Canada and JVC US won't honor each others warranty the same as Panasonic US and Canada because they are totally separate corporations, They both buy from Panasonic Japan. US can purchase more and get a better price also.
post #192 of 2898 Old 11-05-2010, 01:01 PM

Quick question on mounting...

I am getting ready to purchase the 8700UB and want to be CERTAIN what I am doing is going to work. The vertical mounting numbers are confusing to me.

I will be using an 84" diagonal screen. According to the calculations, I should be able to mount anywhere from 8' 2" to 17' 6" back from the screen (I plan to be at about 14').

My projector will be mounted on a low-profile mount, about 3 inches from the ceiling to the top of the projector. My screen will be about 14' away, about 12" from the top of the ceiling.

Will this work?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!
post #193 of 2898 Old 11-05-2010, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If the top of the projector is about 3", that puts the lens about 4.5"-5" down, or about 7" above the top of the screen. That is well within the vertical shift abilities of the Epson.
post #194 of 2898 Old 11-05-2010, 01:48 PM

Jason - thanks for the quick reply. I was reading the manual and was so confused I had to verify with somebody!

Have a good weekend.
post #195 of 2898 Old 11-06-2010, 12:43 PM

Watched Toy Story 3 last night and it was amazing on this projector. Nothing beats Pixar when you want to show off your system.
post #196 of 2898 Old 11-07-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usarcher View Post

Watched Toy Story 3 last night and it was amazing on this projector. Nothing beats Pixar when you want to show off your system.

Ha. We will be doing the same thing tonight. Cant wait. We're just projecting onto a wall right now and it looks amazing. I can't imagine it with a screen. We had alot of people over for football yesterday and they we're blown away and asked why even get a screen.

What screen are you using?
post #197 of 2898 Old 11-07-2010, 02:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmurphy View Post

Jason - thanks for the quick reply. I was reading the manual and was so confused I had to verify with somebody!

Have a good weekend.

Welcome and you too.
post #198 of 2898 Old 11-07-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParanoidDroid View Post

Ha. We will be doing the same thing tonight. Cant wait. We're just projecting onto a wall right now and it looks amazing. I can't imagine it with a screen. We had alot of people over for football yesterday and they we're blown away and asked why even get a screen.

What screen are you using?

It's a manual pulldown 106" Elite Screens model number M106UWH. It's was cheap but does a great job, and I won't feel bad when I upgrade down the road to a motorized screen.
post #199 of 2898 Old 11-07-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunction26 View Post

The FI on the 8700 on low is a lot more noticeable than on my 6500UB. It seems a lot worse, anyone else having this issue?

I never turned on the FI on my 6500UB. So not sure if there is a huge difference. This one seems good. I had the same issues with my 6500UB crapping out under 1 year and getting crap refurbs so they sent me a new 8700UB. Happy so far although I can say that I can't watch it in living room now. Way to bright. Eyes start to hurt so I have had it in THX. Anyone have any input on setting to watch high speed sports like hockey? So far just turned on the FI to low and changed the fine line sharpness up a bit. Have not messed with any of the other things like super resolution.

I guess to add to this. I spent some more time watching actual tv last night and noticed that the whole picture seems fuzzier that the 6500UB I had. Not sure the reason. Messed with the focus and the sharpness controls but it doesn't seem any clearer. Is that the FI being turned on or is there something else I should be looking at. Epson wasn't very helpful. They said set everything to default...
post #200 of 2898 Old 11-09-2010, 08:36 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Just got an email about the rebate bulb offer. Took about 10 business days from the time I sent the form in to the shipping email. Just FYI.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #201 of 2898 Old 11-09-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Just got an email about the rebate bulb offer. Took about 10 business days from the time I sent the form in to the shipping email. Just FYI.

Did you cut out the UPC from the box or just send a copy? The rules on the rebate say you can just include a copy.
post #202 of 2898 Old 11-09-2010, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiji4118 View Post

I never turned on the FI on my 6500UB. So not sure if there is a huge difference. This one seems good. I had the same issues with my 6500UB crapping out under 1 year and getting crap refurbs so they sent me a new 8700UB. Happy so far although I can say that I can't watch it in living room now. Way to bright. Eyes start to hurt so I have had it in THX. Anyone have any input on setting to watch high speed sports like hockey? So far just turned on the FI to low and changed the fine line sharpness up a bit. Have not messed with any of the other things like super resolution.

I guess to add to this. I spent some more time watching actual tv last night and noticed that the whole picture seems fuzzier that the 6500UB I had. Not sure the reason. Messed with the focus and the sharpness controls but it doesn't seem any clearer. Is that the FI being turned on or is there something else I should be looking at. Epson wasn't very helpful. They said set everything to default...

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "fuzzy"? FI can cause some anomalies for sure, though not sure if that is what you are seeing...

Can you resolve the pixels if you put up a test pattern and get close to the screen?
post #203 of 2898 Old 11-09-2010, 09:45 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usarcher View Post

Did you cut out the UPC from the box or just send a copy? The rules on the rebate say you can just include a copy.

There was a pull off duplicate sticker of the UPC on the box. I used it.

Stephen.

post #204 of 2898 Old 11-09-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "fuzzy"? FI can cause some anomalies for sure, though not sure if that is what you are seeing...

Can you resolve the pixels if you put up a test pattern and get close to the screen?

I can tell you this, the low setting on the 6500UB worked great after the firmware update. The FI on the 8700UB seems really finicky. I could watch anything with the FI on low with the 6500UB. With the 8700UB if I am watching a HDTV, or Blu-ray movie it has a lot of judder...I did not get that with the 6500. I thought the projector was defective, so they sent me an exchange. Hopefully they improve the FI via firmware, because it seems like a downgrade from the FI on low with the 6500.

The first 8700UB also had a yellow spot on the screen (blue polarizer?), about the size of a salad plate, and very noticeable on a white screen. So I am glad I requested the exchange for the FI, I did not notice the yellow spot until I had requested the replacement.

I am hooking up the replacement today, hopefully this one is OK...lol.
post #205 of 2898 Old 11-09-2010, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Interesting. Well definitely keep us posted...
post #206 of 2898 Old 11-09-2010, 10:17 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunction26 View Post

I can tell you this, the low setting on the 6500UB worked great after the firmware update. The FI on the 8700UB seems really finicky. I could watch anything with the FI on low with the 6500UB. With the 8700UB if I am watching a HDTV, or Blu-ray movie it has a lot of judder...I did not get that with the 6500. I thought the projector was defective, so they sent me an exchange. Hopefully they improve the FI via firmware, because it seems like a downgrade from the FI on low with the 6500.

The first 8700UB also had a yellow spot on the screen (blue polarizer?), about the size of a salad plate, and very noticeable on a white screen. So I am glad I requested the exchange for the FI, I did not notice the yellow spot until I had requested the replacement.

I am hooking up the replacement today, hopefully this one is OK...lol.

I've been using the FI on low since I got it. No problems or funky artifacts yet. Though once I tried playing Rock Band on it, the FI didn't play nice at all. Very stuttery and juddery (neither of which appears to be a real word).

Stephen.

post #207 of 2898 Old 11-09-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

I've been using the FI on low since I got it. No problems or funky artifacts yet. Though once I tried playing Rock Band on it, the FI didn't play nice at all. Very stuttery and juddery (neither of which appears to be a real word).

Art's review stated it happens on all movies that are 24fps. On normal TV it should be fine, but I do notice it has issues on HGTV, not as often as watching movies on cable though. The 6500UB was very subtle, and you could barely notice it was on 99% of the time.

The CFI is supposed to be smart enough to call it quits (at least briefly when it can't cope with a lot of "creative" in the new frames), but, I notice that it still shows its rough edges if you are trying to apply CFI to a 24 fps movie, coming to you from satellite or cable, at 60fps.

What are you watching with it. First, and generally, avoid movies coming over HD channels. They often start at 24fps, then upscaled to 60, and 3:2 pulldown applied. The Epson CFI will attempt, first, to reverse the 3:2, and return to 24, then do it's CFI. It still has problems with that Better, just with 24 fps movies from Blu-ray, but then, I recommend avoiding CFI in general, for movie viewing.
post #208 of 2898 Old 11-09-2010, 10:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Note this is not unique to Epson...most FI's are geared towards video watching moreso than movie...
post #209 of 2898 Old 11-09-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:

Note this is not unique to Epson...most FI's are geared towards video watching moreso than movie...

Yeah, but it was a non-issue with the 6500UB set on low, even with movies. I left it on all the time, and did not notice it. With the 8700Ub it is very noticeable in comparison. Other than that, the 8700Ub is superior. I just miss the FI being on while watching cable. I will hate having to turn it on, and off based on what channel I am watching.
post #210 of 2898 Old 11-09-2010, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I wonder if the 6500 was less aggressive. Admittedly I just don't remember that well...I never used it myself.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page