The official Epson 8700UB thread - Page 78 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #2311 of 2931 Old 01-27-2012, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Shanky View Post

Hello Experts,

I see Epson 8700ub (used one with 160 hours) on Amazon listed at $1899. Any suggestions, whether this is worth consideration?

Thanks.

That's high for a used model. Visual apex and Projector People were selling brand new ones for that price before they ran out. I got an open box from Crutchfield with 24 hours on it for less than that, and it still had the full 2 year epson warranty.

If you buy that used model I doubt you would even get the warranty. I tried to buy a used 8700 from a member of this forum and he said it had a year left on warranty, but I talked to epson and they told me I couldn't transfer the warranty to another person, so I didn't buy it. By the way, his pj had less hours than that, and he was selling it for waaay less than $1900. Too expensive in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 2931 Old 01-27-2012, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Bassage,

I just sold my 8100. I never call Epson or register my PJ. Why can it be not transferable? They dont know who bought it.
post #2313 of 2931 Old 01-27-2012, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chong67 View Post

Bassage,

I just sold my 8100. I never call Epson or register my PJ. Why can it be not transferable? They dont know who bought it.

The warranty issue It's their policy...
Your receipt has your name on it
But if it doesn't
post #2314 of 2931 Old 01-27-2012, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone have any clever tricks for locking down the lens shift once it is properly setup? Mine has drifted a tiny bit and since it is mounted about 8.5 feet up it is a bit difficult to change so I would like to find a way to really lock it down when I re-adjust it. Ideally a solution that doesn't look too ugly!
post #2315 of 2931 Old 01-27-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:

Bassage,

I don't know, the guy that was selling it said he talked to Epson and they said other people could use his warranty, but when I talked to them they told me it can't be transferred to someone else. So, I don't really know how Epson deals with this.
post #2316 of 2931 Old 01-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugme1 View Post

The warranty issue It's their policy...
Your receipt has your name on it
But if it doesn't

I just look at my BB receipt. It does have my name on it bc of the Reward Zone. Oh well. But I never register my PJ with Epson.
post #2317 of 2931 Old 01-28-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassage View Post

What does the iris have to do with smooth motion? Sounds like you're talking about Frame Interpolation. The auto iris adjusts brightness and is supposed to help black levels in dark scenes.

No, I'm not writing about Frame Interpolation, which I strongly dislike due to its Soap Opera effect. I'm speaking about the Auto Iris and its effect on certain scenes; you won't see much of a difference while viewing static images, but you will see a difference when comparing scenes with a lot of lateral motion; it has to do with the changing amounts of shadow and light. Of course, many will perceive this differently because neural oscillations vary from person to person; this is the same reason why some people actually feel uplifted when in the presence of strobe lights at a dance club, while others remain unaffected.
post #2318 of 2931 Old 01-28-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrennem View Post

Does anyone have any clever tricks for locking down the lens shift once it is properly setup? Mine has drifted a tiny bit and since it is mounted about 8.5 feet up it is a bit difficult to change so I would like to find a way to really lock it down when I re-adjust it. Ideally a solution that doesn't look too ugly!

Yes, this is the 8350 and 8700's Achilles' heel. For some reason the lens system is very finicky and often changes position from the slightest touch (I've had mine shift after a gentle lens wipe or a very careful zoom adjustment).

Finding a permanent fix for this annoyance is definitely on my to-do list.
post #2319 of 2931 Old 01-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videonut View Post

No, I'm not writing about Frame Interpolation, which I strongly dislike due to its Soap Opera effect. I'm speaking about the Auto Iris and its effect on certain scenes; you won't see much of a difference while viewing static images, but you will see a difference when comparing scenes with a lot of lateral motion; it has to do with the changing amounts of shadow and light. Of course, many will perceive this differently because neural oscillations vary from person to person; this is the same reason why some people actually feel uplifted when in the presence of strobe lights at a dance club, while others remain unaffected.

Videonut, seems like you know alot of stuff. I know you post your setting few pages back, do you have your own custom bright and contrast setting and other settings you can post here? Thanks so much!
post #2320 of 2931 Old 01-28-2012, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, this is the 8350 and 8700's Achilles' heel. For some reason the lens system is very finicky and often changes position from the slightest touch (I've had mine shift after a gentle lens wipe or a very careful zoom adjustment).

That is why my PJ sit on top of a 4 file cabinet. A little tweak and twitch here and there.
post #2321 of 2931 Old 01-28-2012, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

I really like this PJ when it comes to deep dark contrast, but no Projecter can do this type of scenario:

Bright sun light in the background on a clear blue sky and the face always look bright grey in contrast.
post #2322 of 2931 Old 01-28-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:

Ok, I understand what you mean now. Usually when people talk about panning motion and things like that, they are talking about FI.
post #2323 of 2931 Old 01-28-2012, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

do you have your own custom bright and contrast setting and other settings you can post here? Thanks so much!

I'm afraid that may not be a good idea, as all situations are different (screen type, room lighting, etc). I strongly recommend the following product for setting both the video and audio in your system:

http://www.amazon.com/Disney-WOW-Wor...7788098&sr=8-1

It gives one the option of choosing either a basic or major calibration, with or without the aid of measuring equipment. The Disc also includes a stunning video loop that will enable you to show off the full potential of your system.
post #2324 of 2931 Old 01-31-2012, 02:33 PM

I bit the bullet and ordered a new 8700UB. This will be paired with either a 115" or 120" diagonal Center Stage XD acoustically transparent screen with a 1.2 gain. The PJ will be ceiling mounted dead on with the screen center. The front of the lens will be just about 17' from the screen, perhaps a few inches less. The room can always be completely light controlled any time of day and will be for movies, perhaps with very dim lighting during sports.

The other options I considered were quite the range of Epson projectors... the 8350 to the 5010/6010. I would have liked a brighter projector with 3D being a "fun" option but I passed on the 5010/6010 combo as I feel I have saved anywhere from $700-1000, perhaps more considering warrant, extra bulbs etc. The 8350 would have been a "short term" option with an upgrade to a better projector in a few years with a more developed 3D market but I wanted better blacks now.

Can you reassure me I made a good choice? My biggest fear is that from 17' back in a light controlled room at a 120" diagonal with 1.2 gain I will be "too dim" even in a light controlled room. I am crazy right?
post #2325 of 2931 Old 01-31-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basementdweller1 View Post

Can you reassure me I made a good choice? My biggest fear is that from 17' back in a light controlled room at a 120" diagonal with 1.2 gain I will be "too dim" even in a light controlled room. I am crazy right?

Ditto on the same distance and screen size. Any help out there?
post #2326 of 2931 Old 01-31-2012, 03:38 PM

I too heard all the people saying it wouldn't be bright enough with a big screen, and many who said it IS bright enough. I bought my 8700 after months of research. I'm no expert but I can share my situation. I have the projector mounted, but I don't have the screen yet. I have a 130" 16:9 screen on the way in the mail with 1.2 gain.

I have my pj mounted 14" from my screen wall and I have the screen size marked on the wall. I can tell you this, from 14", a 130" image in Theater Black 2, with eco mode on (probably the dimmest mode the pj has), this thing is MORE than bright enough, and this is on a wall with a medium beige paint with bumpy texture all over it. And I have a white ceiling and light colored tile floors. I have total light control at night. Any of the brighter modes seem to bright to me unless it's daytime. Living Room mode is plenty bright in the daytime with sunlight coming in. When I get the screen it will only be that much better.

Everyone has their own opinion, but for me there is no question, this pj is plenty bright enough for my taste on a big screen. If you are going back to 17 feet, you might have a different experience, but I mounted mine very close to the shortest throw distance it could handle. I should mention that I normally don't like extremely bright images. When ever I watch my tv at night I have the brightness down lower than some people might like. I really dislike super bright screens in a dark room, it strains my eyes. If you love your screen as bright as possible, it might not work for you.

Quote:

I bit the bullet and ordered a new 8700UB. This will be paired with either a 115" or 120" diagonal Center Stage XD acoustically transparent screen with a 1.2 gain. The PJ will be ceiling mounted dead on with the screen center. The front of the lens will be just about 17' from the screen, perhaps a few inches less. The room can always be completely light controlled any time of day and will be for movies, perhaps with very dim lighting during sports.

The other options I considered were quite the range of Epson projectors... the 8350 to the 5010/6010. I would have liked a brighter projector with 3D being a "fun" option but I passed on the 5010/6010 combo as I feel I have saved anywhere from $700-1000, perhaps more considering warrant, extra bulbs etc. The 8350 would have been a "short term" option with an upgrade to a better projector in a few years with a more developed 3D market but I wanted better blacks now.

post #2327 of 2931 Old 02-01-2012, 09:28 AM

Hey bassage and basementdweller,

I am in the same scenario as you, I have purchased a 8700ub as well and was looking for a screen, I see you purchased a 130" bassage, can you describe which one you got? Any help would be appreciated, thanks..!
post #2328 of 2931 Old 02-01-2012, 11:11 AM

I don't have my screen yet, but I ordered it and it will be shipping soon. I got it from Jamestown screens. If you go to the screens forum you will see a thread about Jamestown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by millej View Post

Hey bassage and basementdweller,

I am in the same scenario as you, I have purchased a 8700ub as well and was looking for a screen, I see you purchased a 130" bassage, can you describe which one you got? Any help would be appreciated, thanks..!

post #2329 of 2931 Old 02-01-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

You will be fine:
http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com/

If you plug in the specs for the 8700 with your mounting distance, 1.2 screen gain, and screen size you will have no problem, especially in a light controlled room and even for accounting for lamp dimming through usage (projector lamps will dim over time). I recommend switching between low lamp best mode, and high lamp best mode, especially once you put more hours on the lamp to determine which you like better, but with the spare lamp you will get many years of enjoyment from this projector, even if you ran it in high lamp mode.
post #2330 of 2931 Old 02-03-2012, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I've been having the same problem. My pj is hanging bellow my living room where my kids often play. I go down stairs to find the image drop a foot. I wish I would have kept that little yellow lens stabilizer that came with the pj during shipping.
post #2331 of 2931 Old 02-03-2012, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stegen View Post

I've been having the same problem. My pj is hanging bellow my living room where my kids often play. I go down stairs to find the image drop a foot. I wish I would have kept that little yellow lens stabilizer that came with the pj during shipping.

Funny how I came back to the forum to write that I switched to TB2 and made the calibrations with the HD calibration disc (around -11 Brightness and 11 contrast). Picture quality is AMAZING now! Definitely worth the effort.

After finally getting the picture to be the correct shape, I thought I was done. Then, some door slams and thumps from the room above have caused the lens shift to change. Glad it's not just me.

What about using some tape to hold the slider in place?
post #2332 of 2931 Old 02-03-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Or super glue.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #2333 of 2931 Old 02-03-2012, 04:04 PM

What annoys me is that they warn you "do not attempt to move the lens without using the lens shift controls or you could damage the projector!" But it is almost impossible for me to adjust zoom or focus without the lens shifting on me.
post #2334 of 2931 Old 02-07-2012, 07:03 AM

Just setup my 8700ub in my tiny little apartment, just sitting on a box for now. Wanted to test to see how it would work....here are some shots.

Its at night, lights off, and shades closed, although theres a little bit of light coming in. Projecting onto a white wall(pretty rough wall)..

The movie is "Taken" on DVD, not bluray....what does everyone think of initial pics? Thanks

post #2335 of 2931 Old 02-07-2012, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 217
millej, are you getting a screen, because those shots will improve quite a bit

congrats btw. If you just received it, check it any issues before your 30 days is up. Put up a full white screen, black screen etc to check for color issues. Convergence etc.
post #2336 of 2931 Old 02-07-2012, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Even on just your wall, the image is good - look at the detail in the dark hair. It will be great on a screen. Our 8700's are winners!
post #2337 of 2931 Old 02-07-2012, 11:26 AM

Thanks! The projector is really close, id say about 10 ft or so. Its really setup just so I can test, but I think it will look awesome with a screen.

Just one question, i know movies are widescreen format. On most peoples setups I see the movie taking up the whole 16:9 projector screen. When I played the movie you can see the selection menu takes up what would be a projector screen, when I played the move it is in widescreen with bars on the top/bottom, is this normal or should I have some settings in place so its using my whole projector screen once I get it? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post

Even on just your wall, the image is good - look at the detail in the dark hair. It will be great on a screen. Our 8700's are winners!

post #2338 of 2931 Old 02-07-2012, 12:40 PM

Movies come in different aspect ratios, different shapes and sizes. Not all movies are the same size as your screen. Some are wider, like 2.35:1 or 2.40:1. There is nothing wrong with that movie, that's the way it is supposed to be. Most action moves are wider, most tv shows and comedies are usually 16:9. Whatever you do DON'T use some kind of stretching mode to make it fit your screen. It will just make the image stretched out, or if you use a zoom mode, it will crop off the sides of the image. It's supposed to be the way it is.

And, no offense, but I have to say that I'm shocked that you don't know about this. We've been watching movies like this at home since DVDs first came out. And in theaters since, I don't know, the 50's I think.

Quote:

Thanks! The projector is really close, id say about 10 ft or so. Its really setup just so I can test, but I think it will look awesome with a screen.

Just one question, i know movies are widescreen format. On most peoples setups I see the movie taking up the whole 16:9 projector screen. When I played the movie you can see the selection menu takes up what would be a projector screen, when I played the move it is in widescreen with bars on the top/bottom, is this normal or should I have some settings in place so its using my whole projector screen once I get it? Thanks!

post #2339 of 2931 Old 02-07-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassage View Post

Movies come in different aspect ratios, different shapes and sizes. Not all movies are the same size as your screen. Some are wider, like 2.35:1 or 2.40:1. There is nothing wrong with that movie, that's the way it is supposed to be. Most action moves are wider, most tv shows and comedies are usually 16:9. Whatever you do DON'T use some kind of stretching mode to make it fit your screen. It will just make the image stretched out, or if you use a zoom mode, it will crop off the sides of the image. It's supposed to be the way it is.

And, no offense, but I have to say that I'm shocked that you don't know about this. We've been watching movies like this at home since DVDs first came out. And in theaters since, I don't know, the 50's I think.

Yes I understand and do know about it the different versions, just wanted to see if I had it setup ok through the projector as this is my first one even viewing, besides a crummy one in my local home video strore. It just looked like from others pics like they had it "filling" the entire screen. Didnt know if there was a setting like in some DVD's to select widescreen vs normal, no biggie, I swear im not that stupid lol
post #2340 of 2931 Old 02-07-2012, 01:43 PM

ok, it sounds like maybe you were looking at pictures of people with 2.35:1 screens. If you had one of those, then the wider movies would fill the entire screen and the 16:9 movies would have black space on the sides. Is that what you were seeing?

Quote:

Yes I understand and do know about it the different versions, just wanted to see if I had it setup ok through the projector as this is my first one even viewing, besides a crummy one in my local home video strore. It just looked like from others pics like they had it "filling" the entire screen. Didnt know if there was a setting like in some DVD's to select widescreen vs normal, no biggie, I swear im not that stupid lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page