The official Epson 8700UB thread - Page 98 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
post #2911 of 2925 Old 01-21-2015, 04:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedo View Post
Hi!

I bought this one after much searching. $129, the price is $15 less than when I ordered. Be sure to read the customer reviews...
I have 550 hours on this bulb and very pleased with my choice. Sick of $300 bulbs!!!!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tent-_-text-_-
Thanks. I saw the same lamp sells for more than 240 usd by other sellers , is it the same lamp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2912 of 2925 Old 01-21-2015, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2br View Post
Thanks. I saw the same lamp sells for more than 240 usd by other sellers , is it the same lamp?
That was the conclusion I came to but cannot confirm that. Good luck.
Also, the new bulb housing stunk pretty bad for two uses but no more smell after that.
post #2913 of 2925 Old 02-05-2015, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just an update on my unit as I've sent it off for OOW repair.

I'm the original owner coming up on four years with 2725 hours on the original bulb. It's ceiling mounted and had been in ECO mode for most of that time until the cooling fan started making noise. Switching to normal mode took care of noise while in normal viewing (higher fan rpm) but I decided to have it looked at since the bulb is at a point where I'd like to swap with my spare.

I decided to send it to Mendtronix; after a solid week with them a faulty fan was confirmed. Parts price: $25 - with return shipping and labor (that's supposed to include cleaning, aligning, etc) it'll be $267. It's another week for the part plus a few days for the repair and then the return shipping before I'm back in business.

Figured this info might be of use to someone thinking about OOW repair.
post #2914 of 2925 Old 02-06-2015, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If you step away from your 8700UB for 10-20 minutes, do you blank the screen first using the Blank button on the remote?

I heard it was worse for the bulb to turn off the PJ than to just let it run while you step away for a few minutes. I'm wondering if blanking the PJ puts less stress on the bulb as well.

Last edited by Muse; 02-06-2015 at 08:01 AM.
post #2915 of 2925 Old 03-12-2015, 12:00 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho101 View Post
Using the projector last week I noticed the image seemed unusually dim. I tried adjusting the brightness and contrast. I concluded it was the bulb beginning to dim with age. I tried to turn it on the following day and no picture. The red lamp on the unit was flashing. I probably had about 1,400 hours on the bulb. I purchased it used on Craigslist about 2 years ago. It had about 750 hours on it when I got it. I have always used it on high lamp mode.

I called Epson last Friday and I told the Epson rep what was going on and their rep said the lamp had burned out. The person I spoke with goes by the name Alvin. He said it was out of warranty and that they couldn't send me a replacement lamp and that new lamps are $299. I told them that the lamp was rated for 4,000 hours and it didn't even get half of that. He wasn't going to send me a replacement. After a few minutes of polite discussion with him about the problem, I told him I really appreciated his help in trying to help me. I then politely asked if there was another department or person that may be able to make an exception to the "out of warranty" rule. He immediately responded that he would speak to what I believe he said was the "Customer Relations Department?". After a few minutes on hold he came back on the line and said he had good news and that Epson would be shipping me a new lamp at no charge. Sweet! That's good customer service!
This happened to me on my 9700UB, I have an 8700 and 9700 and after my warranty went out Epson still honored the one free lamp. People, this is what I remind all of you to consider. Story's like this when considering going to other manufacturers. I am debating over the Sony 600es or the Epson LS1000 as my next projector. I have not made that decision yet but this is a good reminder as to what I would be leaving if I went with another.
post #2916 of 2925 Old 04-15-2015, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Terribly poor bulb life (8700): 1227 Hours only -- THX mode exclusively

epson wouldn't do anything for me despite my bulb burning out at 1227 hours and it was ONLY ever on THX mode (not nearly as high as the brighter modes).

bummed.

maybe i ought to upgrade to either the 5030 current model or the Sony?
post #2917 of 2925 Old 04-16-2015, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by eieio View Post
epson wouldn't do anything for me despite my bulb burning out at 1227 hours and it was ONLY ever on THX mode (not nearly as high as the brighter modes).

bummed.

You were probably dealing with an overseas call center. Call back during business hours Pacific Time. Ask again. If they say no, ask if there is someone in Customer Relations in California that can help you. If they won't do that, see if they can get you a replacement bulb at a big discount.
gamest likes this.

Last edited by Sancho101; 04-16-2015 at 10:27 PM.
post #2918 of 2925 Old 04-16-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:

bummed.

I am so sorry to hear that Are you the original owner, bought new and filled out warranty information? I know that is one of the things they consider when offering one courtesy free lamb. I thought about upgrading to the 5030 because it is a much brighter projector(don’t care for 3D) and has slightly better super resolution algorithms. I saw no real increase in contras ratio tho they clam it is better. But the extra brightness comes at a cost of being a much louder projector than the 8700. I really want 4K but I decided to wait for a cheaper 4k projector because the LS10000 is just too expensive. This is why I started to look at and consider the Sony’s again.

From my experiences the Sony’s have better CR but not as good blacks when compared to the Epson’s. The Sony’s have a smooth look and the Epson’s are sharper but tend to be more artifacty. Frame interpolation is terrible on the Sony’s. I never turn interpolation all the way up only a little. On the Epson’s under lower settings I see no soap opera effect. On the Sony’s there is flicker and all kinds of weird stuff visible. And lastly, customer service, and I think you know were I stand on that.
post #2919 of 2925 Old 04-18-2015, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

@gamest et al:

may i ask please if for my 8700, i should have the High Altitude on or off?

fyi: i'm in nyc so i'm at sea level, not at all high altitude, but i was thinking that even though i don't really understand what the High Altitude mode really does, i figure it has something to do with the fan being on either longer or faster or something akin to that. if anyone would kindly clarify what High Altitude does and educate me on this, i'd most appreciate it.

i believe i've had it off for the past 3-ish years, but with my recent bulb expiring at 1227 hours i changed it to my spare bulb (which i fortunately had at home), and i saw that High Altitude mode so i turned it on for that past roughly week or so.

thanks in advance, gents.
post #2920 of 2925 Old 04-19-2015, 05:03 AM

Quote:
@gamest et al:

may i ask please if for my 8700, i should have the High Altitude on or off?

fyi: i'm in nyc so i'm at sea level, not at all high altitude, but i was thinking that even though i don't really understand what the High Altitude mode really does, i figure it has something to do with the fan being on either longer or faster or something akin to that. if anyone would kindly clarify what High Altitude does and educate me on this, i'd most appreciate it.

i believe i've had it off for the past 3-ish years, but with my recent bulb expiring at 1227 hours i changed it to my spare bulb (which i fortunately had at home), and i saw that High Altitude mode so i turned it on for that past roughly week or so.

thanks in advance, gents.
Sure, you really should leave the High Altitude mode OFF in your condition. This mode when ON at sea level can cause damage to the longevity of your lamp. Basically, in higher altitudes the air density is lower, that is the amount of atoms in the air are less. This means the fan is pushing less atoms over the lamp surface area transfers less heat out of the system. So to componsate for high altitude situations(in High Altitude mode ON) the fan will work harder to remove the heat(runs faster). Also I believe their are some different algorithms on the amount of current sent in the lamp, ie power changes. The problem that comes into play by leaving that on in your condition is you might cause damage to lamp that is not designed to be runing at such a cooler state. I know it sounds weird, whats wrong with too cool? The lamps are designed to be operated in a specific temperature range and you are operating it outside of those design ranges. I hope this helps and the Eco mode is the best way to have a longer lamp life. I never use it because I love the extra brightness and still have two more new lamps to be used before my next upgrade.
post #2921 of 2925 Old 04-19-2015, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamest View Post
Sure, you really should leave the High Altitude mode OFF in your condition. This mode when ON at sea level can cause damage to the longevity of your lamp. Basically, in higher altitudes the air density is lower, that is the amount of atoms in the air are less. This means the fan is pushing less atoms over the lamp surface area transfers less heat out of the system. So to componsate for high altitude situations(in High Altitude mode ON) the fan will work harder to remove the heat(runs faster). Also I believe their are some different algorithms on the amount of current sent in the lamp, ie power changes. The problem that comes into play by leaving that on in your condition is you might cause damage to lamp that is not designed to be runing at such a cooler state. I know it sounds weird, whats wrong with too cool? The lamps are designed to be operated in a specific temperature range and you are operating it outside of those design ranges. I hope this helps and the Eco mode is the best way to have a longer lamp life. I never use it because I love the extra brightness and still have two more new lamps to be used before my next upgrade.
Thanks again, gamest. btw, i sent you a private message here on avs forum's private messaging system. clunky system, but it's the only way i am able to send a message.

anyhoo... i did change it today to "OFF" for high altitude mode. thank you.

i understand that things are designed to operate a certain temperatures, while it may seem odd that warmer is not a good thing, but hey, sometimes if they were designed to operate at a warmer temperature, then cooler isn't their "designed to operate temperature range"!

thank you.

still, i'm struggling with regard to whether i'd see any benefits to upgrading from my 8700 to the 5030, especially when using it in some decent well balanced mode like THX or Theater or whatever mode that is more natural than Dynamic!

also: with Sept/Oct coming around in 5-6 months, Epson will come out with the successor of the 5030 pronto! right? so maybe it doesn't make sense to upgrade during this part of the product life cycle of the 5030?
post #2922 of 2925 Old Yesterday, 05:08 AM

Quote:

still, i'm struggling with regard to whether i'd see any benefits to upgrading from my 8700 to the 5030, especially when using it in some decent well balanced mode like THX or Theater or whatever mode that is more natural than Dynamic!

also: with Sept/Oct coming around in 5-6 months, Epson will come out with the successor of the 5030 pronto! right? so maybe it doesn't make sense to upgrade during this part of the product life cycle of the 5030?
Yeah, that's strange I replied to your message email yesterday? Well I too had the same dilemma on upgrading to the 5030. But as you have noticed both THX modes have negligible differences in brightness and contrasts ratios. And that was what I wanted in the upgrade. After an hour or so watch the Epson 5030 in this mode and others, I was impressed with it. But I just thought I should wait as you have stated Sept/Oct time frame because I really want 4K!

My advise would be to wait unless you are into the 3d thing. Don't get me wrong the 5030 is an upgrade from the 8700 but if you are only going to be using the THX mode, I dont think you would feel it was a justified $2000 upgrade. Hope that helps
post #2923 of 2925 Old Yesterday, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamest View Post
Yeah, that's strange I replied to your message email yesterday? Well I too had the same dilemma on upgrading to the 5030. But as you have noticed both THX modes have negligible differences in brightness and contrasts ratios. And that was what I wanted in the upgrade. After an hour or so watch the Epson 5030 in this mode and others, I was impressed with it. But I just thought I should wait as you have stated Sept/Oct time frame because I really want 4K!

My advise would be to wait unless you are into the 3d thing. Don't get me wrong the 5030 is an upgrade from the 8700 but if you are only going to be using the THX mode, I dont think you would feel it was a justified $2000 upgrade. Hope that helps
i'll try to private message you again, gamest, but i never got any messages from you - even now! i wonder if you had inadvertently sent a private message to someone else?

even waiting till this coming Sept/Oct, i doubt that there will be a unified 4K standard. thus far, there are no such 4K standards, hence the dilemma. i don't think the 4K standard will be hashed out so soon, as each company is trying to adhere to their own version of the 4K standard. what a mess!

what do you think?

i'm so disappointed that there is seemingly no alternatives to a brighter, superior picture from our 8700. that just seems odd, right?
post #2924 of 2925 Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
i'll try to private message you again, gamest, but i never got any messages from you - even now! i wonder if you had inadvertently sent a private message to someone else?

even waiting till this coming Sept/Oct, i doubt that there will be a unified 4K standard. thus far, there are no such 4K standards, hence the dilemma. i don't think the 4K standard will be hashed out so soon, as each company is trying to adhere to their own version of the 4K standard. what a mess!

what do you think?

i'm so disappointed that there is seemingly no alternatives to a brighter, superior picture from our 8700. that just seems odd, right?
from ProjectorReviews.com, lumens output of the 5030 in various modes, kind of shocking how low the lumens output is in some of the modes, especially for me, the THX mode:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Epson 5030 LUMENS OUTPUT from ProjectorReviews.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	675865  
post #2925 of 2925 Unread Today, 04:52 AM

Quote:

what do you think?

I replyed to the email again. Not sure what the deal is with that?

I thought the 4K standards were more or less set with HDCP 2.2 for now at least? The Epson ls10000 is HDCP 2.2 certified but some of the color pallet standards are still in the works.

On the 5030, you could always calibrate it yourself or professionally to be much brighter then the 8700 and still be color accurate. Also you could change camp to a JVC or Sony. The JVCs are amazing but I have yet to see one that the brightness was high enough for my tastes. But for the prices of those projectors I would think buying a 4K one would be best. I really hope Epson has something really cool in October to announce we will see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page