The official Epson 8700UB thread - Page 99 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #2941 of 2945 Old 09-24-2016, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Chulo View Post
After not using your projector for a while (I only use it for big games and movies) do you need to readjust the focusing on it? I noticed that sometimes turning it on after leaving it alone for about 2 weeks, I'd have to refocus the lens a little. Is this normal?
It should not move. However, most likely the projector just moved on whatever platform you have it on. If the projector is bumped or moved in any way, then yes it will go out of focus. Because the only way to have a perfect focused image is to have the projector perfectly flat on the stand/platform and perpendicular to the screen wall. If not, ie. projector pointing a little down/up/left/right the image will be out of focus on the corners or middle no matter how much you try to completely focus the image. If the projector never moves and is perfectly flat to the screen but still can not be focused, then it could be bad LCD panels miss aligned. This can happen if the projector has been dropped or taken some sort of abuse. Unfortunately, if this is the case then their is not much that can be done but have Epson correct it. Because this model does not have panel alignment capability for users unlike the Epson 5010-5040s.

I hope that helps,
and hope the projector had just maybe moved?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2942 of 2945 Old 09-24-2016, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Thanks for your reply. The projector is ceiling mounted. It's not that I can't get it to focus. It's once in a while it'll go out of focus and I'll have to readjust the lens ring. So let's say I used it last night and turned it on the next day or the next 3 or 4 days. It'll be fine. But after maybe several weeks when I go to use it again, it'll be out of focus and I have to fix it again. Now that I think about it. I do have three buttkicker underneath my couch and where the projector is hanging, it's about 2 feet behind the couch on the ceiling. Maybe that's causing it.
post #2943 of 2945 Old 09-25-2016, 01:28 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Chulo View Post
Thanks for your reply. The projector is ceiling mounted. It's not that I can't get it to focus. It's once in a while it'll go out of focus and I'll have to readjust the lens ring. So let's say I used it last night and turned it on the next day or the next 3 or 4 days. It'll be fine. But after maybe several weeks when I go to use it again, it'll be out of focus and I have to fix it again. Now that I think about it. I do have three buttkicker underneath my couch and where the projector is hanging, it's about 2 feet behind the couch on the ceiling. Maybe that's causing it.
Oh okay I see, and I think you might be right. Yeah, those buttkicker might just be causing the focus ring to slightly move given all that shaking.

Back in the day, when I was using an ISCO III anamorphic lens and did not want the lens to move at ALL(given how long it took to calibrate just right) I taped the focus ring down. You should try that and see if it works.
post #2944 of 2945 Old 09-25-2016, 01:43 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamest View Post
Oh okay I see, and I think you might be right. Yeah, those buttkicker might just be causing the focus ring to slightly move given all that shaking.

Back in the day, when I was using an ISCO III anamorphic lens and did not want the lens to move at ALL(given how long it took to calibrate just right) I taped the focus ring down. You should try that and see if it works.
Duh! I should've thought about using tape. Thanks for your suggestion!
post #2945 of 2945 Old Today, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just replaced my Epson 8700ub today with the Epson 3500 for $799 @ Best Buy, couldn't pass that kind of a deal up. It's way more light output than I need and the 5030ub would be a more applicable replacement, but I couldn't pass up that price. I installed it and it's an absolute light cannon, but ECO mode helps bring the intensity of the brightness down and will help the lamps last longer.

Anyway, my question to you other 8700 owners... any ideas on what to do with my 8700ub that I just unmounted? The bulb (3rd one) has 400hrs on it but one of the polarizer's is burned in and shows some pink areas on the screen. I'm wondering if it has any value at all for parts before I put it back in the box and store it? These things are so heavy it might not make sense to sell it online. Thoughts?

Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP