Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 153 Old 12-01-2010, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-pred View Post

So US retailers have it on sale for $1099 but of course epson canada won't allow them to ship to Canada. Canadian retailers under the protection of Epson gouge there customers for a great deal of $1398. Wow $299 more then US, and they wonder why I will not BUY CANADIAN!

I paid $235 more than US sales price in Canadian dollars with free shipping and no surprise brokerage fees. Factoring shipping from US you would have to think I would have only paid 10%-15% more than in the US.

I had the projector arrive in 3 days (no long border delays) in mint condition.

Overall, I'm happy that I found a dealer that was reasonable about markup. I would definitely pay a slight premium to order through a Canadian dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 153 Old 12-01-2010, 11:48 PM

i live in canada, where is the cheapest place to get the epson 8350?

i searched online for deals in the states, the best price i could find was for 1134 from US appliance (out of stock too)

where are you guys finding it for 1099??

i might have a friend visiting from the states so hopefully that is where i end up getting it.

thanks
post #63 of 153 Old 12-02-2010, 03:27 AM

Liked: 11
fitbrit, What did you end up paying taxes in. I am six hours away from border. Did you have to get a post office box?
post #64 of 153 Old 12-02-2010, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMah View Post
I paid $235 more than US sales price in Canadian dollars with free shipping and no surprise brokerage fees. Factoring shipping from US you would have to think I would have only paid 10%-15% more than in the US.

I had the projector arrive in 3 days (no long border delays) in mint condition.

Overall, I'm happy that I found a dealer that was reasonable about markup. I would definitely pay a slight premium to order through a Canadian dealer.
Awesome to hear you stayed within and supported your Local Dealer...

THe reason why my customers buy from me is the support i give them,
and like i said before they benifit big time from Staying and buying locally...
post #65 of 153 Old 12-02-2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraisa View Post
Awesome to hear you stayed within and supported your Local Dealer...

THe reason why my customers buy from me is the support i give them,
and like i said before they benifit big time from Staying and buying locally...
Can you elaborate what kind of 'support' you offer to your customers? So you buy local to have that 15-30 day in-store return/exchange policy. OK, that's worth something. But beyond that, what else? Ok, presumably I can bring the projector back to you and you will ship it off to the manufacturer for repair. But I can do the same myself with little effort. 25-30% markup hardly outweighs my desire to sit on my bottom and do as little as I can. You can say you offer knowledge to your customers... well, I can find any answer from the collective knowledge of Internet in a matter of seconds... perhaps way more than I could from a local dealer, and no bias toward the products that that dealer carries.

Whatever one may chose to do, I still buy from the US, virtually everything.
Some examples. I saved close to $2400 on Canon SLR body and 3 lenses two years ago compared to buying local. I bought my old Mitsubishi projector for $899 from a US dealer when the best offer I got locally was $1465.

No local 'support' is worth thousands of dollars in savings I will have over the years. I may have have to deal with warranty issues, drive to buffalo and back for repairs/shipping off/pickup, but the associated expenses are dwarfed by the overall savings.

Now, I am not against buying locally. I will, only when the prices are reasonable. It is because of irrational people who continue to pay outrageous markups that we are being shafted by every last manufacturer and dealer here. When the majority smartens up and refuses to buy here, that's when we will see fair and reasonable prices.
post #66 of 153 Old 12-02-2010, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-pred
fitbrit, What did you end up paying taxes in. I am six hours away from border. Did you have to get a post office box?
The standard Quebec Gst and Pst on $1175 - about $160.
I wouldn't have gone to the trouble for this item had it not been for Epson's pan-N.America warranty. Between that and this forum, it's worth the savings for the "lack of support".
post #67 of 153 Old 12-02-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Can you elaborate what kind of 'support' you offer to your customers? So you buy local to have that 15-30 day in-store return/exchange policy. OK, that's worth something. But beyond that, what else? Ok, presumably I can bring the projector back to you and you will ship it off to the manufacturer for repair. But I can do the same myself with little effort. 25-30% markup hardly outweighs my desire to sit on my bottom and do as little as I can. You can say you offer knowledge to your customers... well, I can find any answer from the collective knowledge of Internet in a matter of seconds... perhaps way more than I could from a local dealer, and no bias toward the products that that dealer carries.

Whatever one may chose to do, I still buy from the US, virtually everything.
Some examples. I saved close to $2400 on Canon SLR body and 3 lenses two years ago compared to buying local. I bought my old Mitsubishi projector for $899 from a US dealer when the best offer I got locally was $1465.

No local 'support' is worth thousands of dollars in savings I will have over the years. I may have have to deal with warranty issues, drive to buffalo and back for repairs/shipping off/pickup, but the associated expenses are dwarfed by the overall savings.

Now, I am not against buying locally. I will, only when the prices are reasonable. It is because of irrational people who continue to pay outrageous markups that we are being shafted by every last manufacturer and dealer here. When the majority smartens up and refuses to buy here, that's when we will see fair and reasonable prices.
One Major thing that i do is offer Calibration settings for each unit per there individual room...
I will bring certian calibration discs to every install for Intial calibration settings setup ...
the next sept would be to offer ISF Calibration ,
But again with projectors as the bulb gets life on it you will always be tweeking settings ...
Also different Home Theater Consulting Tips that come to me naturally that i do thru with every one of my customers...
And thats what most Home Theater dealers offer....

Its a more Personal level of service that helps the customer come away with confidence in regards to there investment.

If your technical then you can buy off the self spend time on forums and set things up your self..
Awesome Great ,

But for those that want more personal service thats what i offer...

I really believe in supporting the local dealers.
If there is some who wants to get a home theater setup but they are in a different area , i would rather help them get intouch with there local dealer than have them buy a unit from me...
Or buy there unit from AVS Forums ......
Jason Terk Does an amazing job taking care of everyone hear.....
post #68 of 153 Old 12-02-2010, 07:30 AM

Well lets cut to the bottom line. We need to know where people are getting the best deal.

Those who have bought from Canada, please let us know where you ordered form and how much you paid (shipped to your house, inclure tax and rate you paid).

Those who have bought from the US, please let us know where you ordered from and how much you paid (shipped to your house, include any duty and brokerage fee and tax.)
post #69 of 153 Old 12-02-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:

Well lets cut to the bottom line. We need to know where people are getting the best deal.

Those who have bought from Canada, please let us know where you ordered form and how much you paid (shipped to your house, inclure tax and rate you paid).

Those who have bought from the US, please let us know where you ordered from and how much you paid (shipped to your house, include any duty and brokerage fee and tax.)

agreed, my post was left behind

on a side note, even without a markup here in canada, we still have to pay 13% taxes, which is a huge markup in itself.
post #70 of 153 Old 12-02-2010, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by homiekeh View Post

agreed, my post was left behind

on a side note, even without a markup here in canada, we still have to pay 13% taxes, which is a huge markup in itself.

I assumed that the taxes were inevitable, so it's only worth buying from the US if the retail price is sufficiently lower than in Canada.
Brokerage fees can be a killer, but paying for the shipping methods that waive the fees can be even more expensive than eating the brokerage fees.
If you live near the border, a border mail service can be very good value. I use bordermail.us, which has a $50 for 6 months trial.
Shipping within the US is often very cheap. The border is 40 mins away from Montreal, and the bordemail.us depot is three minutes from the border itself. I think the whole trip could be done in two and a quarter hours or less if I were a Canadaian citizen (I'm British). The main delays are paying for the taxes on the Canadian side, and how much of a **** the American immigration guys want to be with you. My two trips to bordermail.us have encountered the nicest US Immigration officers I have ever met, so that bit has been more painless for this brown guy than any time in the past 20 years.
post #71 of 153 Old 12-02-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraisa View Post

One Major thing that i do is offer Calibration settings for each unit per there individual room...
I will bring certian calibration discs to every install for Intial calibration settings setup ...
the next sept would be to offer ISF Calibration ,
But again with projectors as the bulb gets life on it you will always be tweeking settings ...
Also different Home Theater Consulting Tips that come to me naturally that i do thru with every one of my customers...
And thats what most Home Theater dealers offer....

Its a more Personal level of service that helps the customer come away with confidence in regards to there investment.

If your technical then you can buy off the self spend time on forums and set things up your self..
Awesome Great ,

But for those that want more personal service thats what i offer...

I really believe in supporting the local dealers.
If there is some who wants to get a home theater setup but they are in a different area , i would rather help them get intouch with there local dealer than have them buy a unit from me...
Or buy there unit from AVS Forums ......
Jason Terk Does an amazing job taking care of everyone hear.....

Well, I presume you charge for the installation, so this is not 'support' (which comes free with the purchase of a product), but rather 'service'. In other words it does not come with the purchase of the projector, does it? Would you not sell the same installation service to me if I bought the projector from the US and came to you to help me install it? I would guess you would, why wouldn't you? So, I am not sure I understand your response in the context of the original argument.
post #72 of 153 Old 12-02-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post

Well, I presume you charge for the installation, so this is not 'support' (which comes free with the purchase of a product), but rather 'service'. In other words it does not come with the purchase of the projector, does it? Would you not sell the same installation service to me if I bought the projector from the US and came to you to help me install it? I would guess you would, why wouldn't you? So, I am not sure I understand your response in the context of the original argument.

hey if you guys want to cross the border and buy a unit
Go for it...
Hope ya save a few dollars and come away with a real good deal..
post #73 of 153 Old 12-03-2010, 04:06 AM

I just want to get back to the topic of the thread, maybe Canada IS cheaper but:

post #74 of 153 Old 12-03-2010, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

I went with HD.ca. Came with a ceiling mount and free shipping. Probably paid a little more than buying from the US, but I didn't want to spend a day driving down etc to pick one up. Too much hassle for me. Plus I buy from a Canadian dealer.
post #75 of 153 Old 12-03-2010, 08:02 PM

i live in Canada, anyone find a good deal here?

I might have a friend coming from the US. so deals from there would be better. The best i could find is 1134 from US appliance.

thanks
post #76 of 153 Old 12-07-2010, 12:15 AM

im still searching, anyone find anything worth mentioning?
post #77 of 153 Old 12-07-2010, 04:49 AM

Best I have seen is hd.ca with the free mount
post #78 of 153 Old 12-07-2010, 11:10 AM
rgs

QuebecAcoustic may be better but you have to send them an email for the quote.
post #79 of 153 Old 12-08-2010, 04:12 AM

Ya Im going to go ahead and order from Quebec Acoustic. They will match the hd.ca deal and shipping is pretty reasonable.
post #80 of 153 Old 12-08-2010, 12:48 PM

when i emailed QA i got 1389+ tax + free shipping. not really an amazing deal if you ask me.

I do not want or need a mount so the cheaper the better. all i need is the projector.
post #81 of 153 Old 12-08-2010, 06:49 PM

Ya I asked for $1389 plus mount plus free shipping
post #82 of 153 Old 12-08-2010, 08:08 PM

i give up, i will either wait till prices here are around US prices. or just buy it from the states if anyone i know is visiting. i refuse to buy it for 1389+ 180 tax.
post #83 of 153 Old 12-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Advanced Member

I don't know how close you are to Hamilton Ontario, but East Hamilton Radio might be someone to check out. They don't have it on their website (hardly updated) But sometimes see them for the $1300 mark and with a mount now and then in my paper.

Supporting both HD-DVD and Blu-ray
My DVD Collection
post #84 of 153 Old 12-11-2010, 07:41 PM

I picked up my 8350 on Thursday evening at electronic4less. $1348 plus tax. They gave my a generic ceiling mount and a 32ft HDMI cable for free. This is what they called "Installer Package". Funny thing is, they sell standalone 8350 at $1399.
post #85 of 153 Old 12-14-2010, 01:18 PM

Has anyone ordered from Quebec acoustic? I cant get hd.ca to reply to my emails, but i wouldnt mind the free mount when i make my purchase. I think either quebec or ontario are my best bet to find one of these bad boys. Nothing really available in the Maritimes that I could find.
Just wondering if they're reliable..?
post #86 of 153 Old 12-14-2010, 01:55 PM

I ordered one last week from them. They are suppose to have another shippment before christmas.
post #87 of 153 Old 12-14-2010, 02:04 PM

Awesome, did they match any deals for you?
post #88 of 153 Old 12-14-2010, 03:01 PM

Free mount and shipping , $1399
post #89 of 153 Old 12-14-2010, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallguyNB View Post

Has anyone ordered from Quebec acoustic? I cant get hd.ca to reply to my emails, but i wouldnt mind the free mount when i make my purchase. I think either quebec or ontario are my best bet to find one of these bad boys. Nothing really available in the Maritimes that I could find.

Just wondering if they're reliable..?

I just bought my projector from them. They are definitely reliable.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #90 of 153 Old 12-15-2010, 12:13 PM

I just sent them a message asking if they can match the hd.ca deal for me of a free ceiling mount and free shipping and if they got any stock in. Fingers Crossed
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page