Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 153 Old 12-21-2010, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I requested quotes from QA and they were quick enough with that. They added that if I wanted any further info to call him. That is were the trouble began. It took 3 days to get him on the phone. Either he was not there or they did not return my calls as they said he would. They did finally call back but I had already bought my projector by this time.

I ended up buying from electronicsforless.ca in Markham/Richmond Hill. Their price was $1349 including flush ceiling mount and 10M HDMI cable. Shipping was free and it arrived the next day.

One thing to remember is these have an electronics disposal tax on them. It is only $25 or something like that but don't be shocked as I was.

I was not overly pleased with the mount as this projector is rather large and heavy (25 lbs) compared to the projector I had and the mount is only able to connect on 3 of the 5 points. I ended up going to Home Depot and buying some 1/8 x 3/4 in steel. Cost me all of $6. Was able to make my own arms for the mount in under an hour. Now it connects to all 5 points and the center of balance is much better.

I Have to say though when I called Electronics for less they were very helpful.
post #93 of 153 Old 12-21-2010, 11:02 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallguyNB View Post

I just sent them a message asking if they can match the hd.ca deal for me of a free ceiling mount and free shipping and if they got any stock in. Fingers Crossed

Have seen there ceiling mount and its worth 5$..
Worst mount on the market..
post #94 of 153 Old 12-21-2010, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I got my 8700 from Quebec Acoustic and it was delivered overnight. I was always able to get answers by email and phone relatively quickly (same day or less) And the projector works fine (no problems with uniformity, convergence, hazing that I can see so far).

I didn't need a mount but any of these freebie mounts that they are offering have got to be the lowest grade mounts you can buy. I would rather spend a few more bucks and choose my own mount

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #95 of 153 Old 12-21-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

I got my 8700 from Quebec Acoustic and it was delivered overnight. I was always able to get answers by email and phone relatively quickly (same day or less) And the projector works fine (no problems with uniformity, convergence, hazing that I can see so far).

I didn't need a mount but any of these freebie mounts that they are offering have got to be the lowest grade mounts you can buy. I would rather spend a few more bucks and choose my own mount

Ya when it comes to mounts you need to really do your home work and get the right one.
There is a certain mount i will get for my customers when they buy a 8700 from me.

Just look at the jvc mount thread thats the perfect example of needing to get the right mount.
post #96 of 153 Old 12-21-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallguyNB View Post

Has anyone ordered from Quebec acoustic? I cant get hd.ca to reply to my emails, but i wouldnt mind the free mount when i make my purchase. I think either quebec or ontario are my best bet to find one of these bad boys. Nothing really available in the Maritimes that I could find.
Just wondering if they're reliable..?

I just bought a 8700ub from them on the weekend, I had to work a bit to get my deal but they were very nice to work with. I got my screen from Eastporters and they were great as well. I would suggest trying to find the best US deal you can and then barter with Eastporters or Quebec accoustic. I was able to get US pricing with over $100 of goodies thrown in after negotiations were done Hopefully my mount is a decent one!

On a side note, there are a lot of people from Winnipeg on here!
post #97 of 153 Old 01-13-2011, 11:34 AM

I subscribe to the Epson Canada Newsletter and received a 15% Friends & Family discount yesterday. I used it to purchase the 8350 for $1189 canadian :-)

Expecting my first projector next week. So i guess i will keep reading the AVS Forums and the thread dedicated to the 8350.
post #98 of 153 Old 01-13-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraisa View Post

Ya when it comes to mounts you need to really do your home work and get the right one.
There is a certain mount i will get for my customers when they buy a 8700 from me.

Just look at the jvc mount thread thats the perfect example of needing to get the right mount.

I got the Abtus AV817 mount with my projector. I won't be installing it until this fall, hopefully I don't have any problems. It looks sturdy enough and well built.
post #99 of 153 Old 01-13-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgcabby View Post

I got the Abtus AV817 mount with my projector. I won't be installing it until this fall, hopefully I don't have any problems. It looks sturdy enough and well built.

I am not familiar with that mount but hope it works for ya
post #100 of 153 Old 01-13-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulozzz View Post

I subscribe to the Epson Canada Newsletter and received a 15% Friends & Family discount yesterday. I used it to purchase the 8350 for $1189 canadian :-)

Expecting my first projector next week. So i guess i will keep reading the AVS Forums and the thread dedicated to the 8350.

DAMN IT! i just ordered it from QA for 1325 + tax. (free 10M HDMI) im gnna see if i can cancel it before it ships. can you link where you subscribed and got the discount?

thanks

UPDATE: i signed up to this newsletter CLICK i dont know if it is the same one Fabulozzz signed up to. it did not send me a confirmation or anything. Maybe it needs to time to get the discount? or maybe it is the wrong newsletter. anyways, im sticking to my order with QA i guess. it blows that i have been checking here everyday, and the day i order i saw this.

hope you guys get good deals too.
post #101 of 153 Old 01-13-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:

Thats a really good price for Canadian Market...
Grab it cause thats amazing.....
post #102 of 153 Old 01-13-2011, 02:37 PM

Hi homiekeh

your link for the Newsletter is the one i used. But i have been receiving the newsletter for the last few months, not after filling the form. There was a 10% discount at the end of november too. If you read the fine prints, the discount excludes Home Entertainment Projectors.... but hey! I was able to punch in the code at checkout and my order is being processed.

I should be all set up for the Superbowl :-)
post #103 of 153 Old 01-13-2011, 02:47 PM

It says Out of stock
post #104 of 153 Old 01-13-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:

Hi homiekeh

your link for the Newsletter is the one i used. But i have been receiving the newsletter for the last few months, not after filling the form. There was a 10% discount at the end of november too. If you read the fine prints, the discount excludes Home Entertainment Projectors.... but hey! I was able to punch in the code at checkout and my order is being processed.

I should be all set up for the Superbowl :-)

yeah i figured that much. I signed up anyways (to my junk email). thanks for letting us know. i guess without the a discount from the epson news letter, QA will give you the best Canadian deal here, like is said, i got it for 1325 + hst with a free 10M HDMI cable.

it is indeed out of stock which i checked, but who would buy from epson for 1399 CAD (without a discount)?

enjoy your projectors, mine gets here on monday!
post #105 of 153 Old 01-13-2011, 03:33 PM

ya they are out of stock ,
I knew that but thought i would let you find that out....lol
post #106 of 153 Old 01-13-2011, 03:33 PM

NCIX has them now, but like at 1399. I would just look for their sales and someone might get a good deal.

Trevor
post #107 of 153 Old 01-13-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titch-- View Post

NCIX has them now, but like at 1399. I would just look for their sales and someone might get a good deal.

Again Make sure its QC inspected......
post #108 of 153 Old 01-13-2011, 05:02 PM

Liked: 13
Can someone with a coupon code or link to the 15% discount post it here? I get espon newsletter but didn't get this.
post #109 of 153 Old 01-13-2011, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:

Me too. Canceled my order from hd.ca. Felt really bad for them but I have waited a month for it to ship due to no stock and the Epson deal gave me 208 bucks off, free shipping to boot. Must be frustrating for dealers when this happens.

That being said, hd.ca are good fella's

Sale is good until 18th
post #110 of 153 Old 01-13-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post

Me too. Canceled my order from hd.ca. Felt really bad for them but I have waited a month for it to ship due to no stock and the Epson deal gave me 208 bucks off, free shipping to boot. Must be frustrating for dealers when this happens.

That being said, hd.ca are good fella's

Sale is good until 18th

HD.ca new that those units werent coming in,
You may think they are good fella's but there is alot who think other wise,
And they Dont QC there units before Sale.....
post #111 of 153 Old 01-13-2011, 09:36 PM

Please note that AV Science doesn't quality check the Epson 8350.. As far as I know they don't stock it. Others may QC.
post #112 of 153 Old 01-14-2011, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswdallas View Post

Please note that AV Science doesn't quality check the Epson 8350.. As far as I know they don't stock it. Others may QC.

Sure if you asked them to they would,
Will say this because of the out of stock issue I would be qc every unit that gets sent out,
post #113 of 153 Old 01-15-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraisa View Post

HD.ca new that those units werent coming in,
You may think they are good fella's but there is alot who think other wise,
And they Dont QC there units before Sale.....

I've heard the term "next week" from them in almost every single conversation I've had with them, no matter what I asked about. I actually arranged for pickup of a screen from them last week (to save the shipping, I'm in the same town as them). The screen was listed as "in stock" on their site. I had to wait an additional day for it because it seemed like the sales guy didn't want to wait for me to get there to pick it up even though I would have been there well before their advertised closing time -- telling me "it takes time for these things, we should wait until tomorrow". Not sure what takes time as I just wanted to pick up a screen and put it in my car and drive away ... I waited until the next day, didn't get the call from them that they promised, finally called myself and tracked him down and was told to come on down and pick it up.

When I found the place it took me a few minutes to actually get someone to come let me in as the doors were all locked and the windows all mostly blacked out. It looked like an unoccupied office. Upon arriving I dealt with a different person because the other guy was too busy apparently. Their "warehouse" was a room with a bunch of mostly empty shelving in it so I don't think they keep stock on much of anything. The "showroom" was a work in progress (but has some potential). After spending about 15-20 minutes trying to get the automation stuff (control4) working so he could show me the screens -- which I didn't really want or need to see -- rebooting their media server a couple of times, etc ... they finally all came up at the same time the lights went down. None of the 3 projectors were calibrated (or even close, it was pathetic and makes it worse when they are all side-by-side). One of them was not even aimed correctly at the screen!

I thought "Ok, let's see what they actually know about this stuff," and I asked a few questions, got a couple of incorrect answers but also a couple of correct answers. He had to run and talk to the other guy about my screen, so he left me standing there in the dark watching BBC nature shows for about 15 more minutes on the 3 running projector setups (which all looked pretty terrible). Came back in and asked me "which screen did you want again?" ... uggg ... ran back out and came back 5 minutes later telling me that they didn't actually have that screen in stock, they only had the material for it but not the frame (!!!). He told me "No problem, we can have one by next week for you." I asked about pricing and again he had to run away and get information from the other guy. He came back without pricing info and told me he could get it for me. I had gotten a price quote on the phone from the other guy but it was pretty expensive compared to other resellers so I told him what the other guy had given me for a price and asked if he could do better, showing him several other sites that was considerably less (like 25-30% less). He said he'd have to get back to me on it and took my email address. So after over an hour no screen (that they said they had), no firm price and no more confidence in them.

He did get back to me about 26 hours later with a price .. that was a bit better but still 20% over the competition.

Being a sucker for punishment I phoned him back and asked if they "really and truly" had an 8350 in stock that I could purchase. He said "No, but we can have one next week for you no problem."

Moral of the story ... I refuse to buy from someone that I don't already have a relationship with that is going to order on demand, charge a premium and WASTE MY TIME. The wasting of time is a big one for me. From my personal experience with them it left a really bad taste in my mouth. They seemed like very nice guys on the phone though ...
post #114 of 153 Old 01-15-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darealgerk View Post

I've heard the term "next week" from them in almost every single conversation I've had with them, no matter what I asked about. I actually arranged for pickup of a screen from them last week (to save the shipping, I'm in the same town as them). The screen was listed as "in stock" on their site. I had to wait an additional day for it because it seemed like the sales guy didn't want to wait for me to get there to pick it up even though I would have been there well before their advertised closing time -- telling me "it takes time for these things, we should wait until tomorrow". Not sure what takes time as I just wanted to pick up a screen and put it in my car and drive away ... I waited until the next day, didn't get the call from them that they promised, finally called myself and tracked him down and was told to come on down and pick it up.

When I found the place it took me a few minutes to actually get someone to come let me in as the doors were all locked and the windows all mostly blacked out. It looked like an unoccupied office. Upon arriving I dealt with a different person because the other guy was too busy apparently. Their "warehouse" was a room with a bunch of mostly empty shelving in it so I don't think they keep stock on much of anything. The "showroom" was a work in progress (but has some potential). After spending about 15-20 minutes trying to get the automation stuff (control4) working so he could show me the screens -- which I didn't really want or need to see -- rebooting their media server a couple of times, etc ... they finally all came up at the same time the lights went down. None of the 3 projectors were calibrated (or even close, it was pathetic and makes it worse when they are all side-by-side). One of them was not even aimed correctly at the screen!

I thought "Ok, let's see what they actually know about this stuff," and I asked a few questions, got a couple of incorrect answers but also a couple of correct answers. He had to run and talk to the other guy about my screen, so he left me standing there in the dark watching BBC nature shows for about 15 more minutes on the 3 running projector setups (which all looked pretty terrible). Came back in and asked me "which screen did you want again?" ... uggg ... ran back out and came back 5 minutes later telling me that they didn't actually have that screen in stock, they only had the material for it but not the frame (!!!). He told me "No problem, we can have one by next week for you." I asked about pricing and again he had to run away and get information from the other guy. He came back without pricing info and told me he could get it for me. I had gotten a price quote on the phone from the other guy but it was pretty expensive compared to other resellers so I told him what the other guy had given me for a price and asked if he could do better, showing him several other sites that was considerably less (like 25-30% less). He said he'd have to get back to me on it and took my email address. So after over an hour no screen (that they said they had), no firm price and no more confidence in them.

He did get back to me about 26 hours later with a price .. that was a bit better but still 20% over the competition.

Being a sucker for punishment I phoned him back and asked if they "really and truly" had an 8350 in stock that I could purchase. He said "No, but we can have one next week for you no problem."

Moral of the story ... I refuse to buy from someone that I don't already have a relationship with that is going to order on demand, charge a premium and WASTE MY TIME. The wasting of time is a big one for me. From my personal experience with them it left a really bad taste in my mouth. They seemed like very nice guys on the phone though ...

Very interesting, and just goes to show how much importance there is on actually seeing the store and staff in person. With the internet purchases these days there is an enormous amount of blind faith involved with ordering things. Having to judge a company via email and phone is tricky. If this is the case, I am glad in a way I canceled my order. I did get my screen through them but thanks to some delays on their side I missed getting the material I wanted before it went EOL the 2.8 HP. I regret not dealing with AVS again when getting the screen.
post #115 of 153 Old 01-17-2011, 08:01 AM

I thought I would suggest that you guys also get a quote from Mason at electronicsforless.ca. I bought my 8350 from him a week or so ago bundled with a mount and 10M HDMI cable. Now the mount works but it is pretty cheap - lots of movement in it even after i tightened everything down. Not sure about the quality of the cable but again it works and no obvious quality issues. Most importantly Mason will work with you on pricing (it is currently $1299 on their website). Have no idea if he has any in stock though
post #116 of 153 Old 01-18-2011, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

last day for that Epson deal code HCFAFGG5. But it looks like the 8350 is still not in stock. Coincidence? I think not.

I got mine today. Won't get to try it until later on tonight. But the code worked for me, and a few hours after I got my invoice the web site strangely said - out of stock. I suspect letting the 8350 go for 1190 CAD was a booboo on their web site.

anyone got a link or jpegs of some good pics to test convergence, dust blobs, color issues etc?

if not I'll use these

http://www.pbase.com/jackcnd/convergence
post #117 of 153 Old 02-17-2011, 01:01 PM

Did you ever have an actual order in with them or just called checking for stock?
post #118 of 153 Old 02-17-2011, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorkz View Post

Did you ever have an actual order in with them or just called checking for stock?

its been mounted on my ceiling for a few weeks now. So yeah, I got it.
post #119 of 153 Old 02-17-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post

its been mounted on my ceiling for a few weeks now. So yeah, I got it.

No, From HD?
post #120 of 153 Old 02-18-2011, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorkz View Post

No, From HD?

I had an order in with them yes. I placed it on the 18th of December. Every week after there was no sign on them getting one in stock. I kept hearing ...next week maybe. Given the popularity of this PJ I'm sure it wasn't there fault. But when I got the deal straight from Epson it was a no brainer and quite cheaper - almost 200 bucks cheaper, so I called a canceled my order with HD. I'm also positive the price was a mistake on Epson's behalf, hence why it was suddenly "out of stock" shortly after I placed my order and never returned again until sale was off.

I wish AVS had a Canadian rep.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page