Epson 8700UB vs JVC HD250?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 77 Old 10-09-2010, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm debating between the Epson 8700 and the JVC HD250. I have a light controlled room for viewing and have never owned a PJ before. They are similar in price (+/- $300 and an Epson bulb). Do you think the disparity between the two will warrant the $300 or further more would the 8500ub ($1800) make more sense to save the money and then spring for an Epik sub instead? I realize that's not a simple question with a simple answer, but just looking for some opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 Old 10-10-2010, 08:06 AM

Liked: 10
Im also very interested to know. Im looking to upgrade my Panasonic PT-AE3000 and want to make sure I make the right choice. I have a bat cave with a 120" 240 wide Carada BW screen with a viewing distance of 16'. I really want to know how the two stack up against each other for black levels. Black levels are most important to me followed by color accuracy then brightness.
post #3 of 77 Old 10-12-2010, 01:21 AM
Advanced Member

I third this. Surely Jason or Daniel could answer this? I'm so waiting on print reviews of these two PJ's.

Bat cave, 92" Carada BW.

I've had my Sanyo Z2000 for 3 years now. It's time to upgrade.
post #4 of 77 Old 10-12-2010, 02:29 AM

I was just thinking of this comparison today, still impatiently waiting for reviews on both projectors. I can't seem to find much out there yet.

Eager to see the image quality and motion handling of the 8700 over the 8350 and then if significant the 8700 vs HD250.

Epson vs JVC who historically has had the better build quality?
post #5 of 77 Old 10-12-2010, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Ditto on the desire for this comparison, I am switching from a Sharp 12000mkII on a 106" screen with total light control. Can't wait for the experts to chime in on this thread.

Loganed on 4/8/2008

List to be completed
Install blinds - DONE
Finish plumbing my bathroom - WIP
Build EQ Shelves - WIP
Program insteon - DONE
My Build Thread
post #6 of 77 Old 10-12-2010, 06:19 AM

This will be the hot comparison this year. I suspect the JVC will win unless you really want the 2.40/16:9 setup...especially if they are doing the 120hz unofficially.

The only thing I would be REALLY interested in is if Epson figured out why the bulbs keep burning out early and often. If the new 8700 has a sealed light path. If it was no to either or both of those questions I wouldn't buy it even if I wanted the extra features.

Read through the 8500 thread and the 8100 thread and see what I am talking about. On paper the 8700 seems to be a great value and great customer service but I would prefer NOT to use the customer service and have it perform as advertised.

JMTC
post #7 of 77 Old 10-12-2010, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgse3 View Post

I'm debating between the Epson 8700 and the JVC HD250. I have a light controlled room for viewing and have never owned a PJ before. They are similar in price (+/- $300 and an Epson bulb). Do you think the disparity between the two will warrant the $300 or further more would the 8500ub ($1800) make more sense to save the money and then spring for an Epik sub instead? I realize that's not a simple question with a simple answer, but just looking for some opinions.

There are distinct advantages to each...one of the biggest advantages to the Epson is it has a full CMS...the JVC has none. The Epson also has a voucher for a spare lamp, and it is a bit less money. The JVC has a distinct advantage in calibrated light output, contrast and black levels. I should say it is also a sealed system so no dust blobs.

All in all their is reason to buy both...comes down to personal preference.
post #8 of 77 Old 10-12-2010, 05:16 PM

CMS = frame interpolation?
post #9 of 77 Old 10-12-2010, 05:20 PM

CMS=Color Management System
CFI=Creative Frame Interpolation (JVC's terminology)
post #10 of 77 Old 10-12-2010, 05:21 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryH View Post

CMS = frame interpolation?

Color management. JVC's have been accused of having over saturated colors in the past. Without color managment there's not a lot of detailing you can do, whereas you can with the Epson. Like Jason said, advantages to both projectors, depending on your preferences and setup (though the JVC probably has more going for it).

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #11 of 77 Old 10-13-2010, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member

Jason -

Thanks for that summary between the two. The only other thing I need to know about regarding these two PJ's is the input lag or refresh rate. I do 90 percent movie watching but also do a little video gaming on my PJ. Is either one better than the other?

Guess I should go to the RS10 forum and see what people say.
post #12 of 77 Old 10-13-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm View Post

Jason -

Thanks for that summary between the two. The only other thing I need to know about regarding these two PJ's is the input lag or refresh rate. I do 90 percent movie watching but also do a little video gaming on my PJ. Is either one better than the other?

the refresh rate is 60hz. Per the HD350 thread people aren't having any problems gaming on it. That was a corncern for me as well until I read the thread.

I just now ordered one from Jason and should get it this Friday.

XBL: Stunt1on1
post #13 of 77 Old 10-13-2010, 10:31 AM

Is the sharpness like DLP with JVC DILA?
post #14 of 77 Old 10-13-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan.Pierce View Post

reviewers have noted DILA and other three chip displays to be a hair or two less sharp than single chip DLP. However, having seen a demo HD350 last saturday and then watching my one chip DLP later that night, personally, the JVC didn't look any less sharp. It had more dimensionality and pop and more life like colors. But your mileage may vary.

XBL: Stunt1on1
post #15 of 77 Old 10-13-2010, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've owned the JVC HD350 and now the Epson 8500. I can say that the JVC is better built, has slightly better black levels in a completely light controlled room and a higher lumen output in best mode. The Epson has the ability for higher lumen output while still maintaining an acceptable picture (not great), a better warranty, better FI and costs less.

Honestly, I've had the Epson for a few months now and would rather have the JVC back but not so much that I'm actually going to buy another one. Unless you are picky, pray for an epson with good convergence and don't look back once you have one.
post #16 of 77 Old 10-13-2010, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Is that the 8500 or the 8500ub?
post #17 of 77 Old 10-13-2010, 04:43 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post

Is that the 8500 or the 8500ub?

One and the same as far as I know.

Stephen.

post #18 of 77 Old 10-14-2010, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenVariety View Post

I've owned the JVC HD350 and now the Epson 8500. I can say that the JVC is better built, has slightly better black levels in a completely light controlled room and a higher lumen output in best mode. The Epson has the ability for higher lumen output while still maintaining an acceptable picture (not great), a better warranty, better FI and costs less.

Honestly, I've had the Epson for a few months now and would rather have the JVC back but not so much that I'm actually going to buy another one. Unless you are picky, pray for an epson with good convergence and don't look back once you have one.

JVC 250 came in the mail yesterday! So far very happy with it. Thinking I'm going to need to call in sick to work and enjoy this for a couple days.
post #19 of 77 Old 10-20-2010, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Has anyone verified if there is ANY difference between the 8700 and the older 8500...you can pick up a NiB 8500 for not much cash these days.
post #20 of 77 Old 10-20-2010, 04:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

Has anyone verified if there is ANY difference between the 8700 and the older 8500...

Based on what I heard at CEDIA I think the only reported difference from Epson is that the 8700 supports leaving an anamorphic lens on full time as the 8700 has support for squeezing 16:9 images correctly with an anamorphic lens on the projector.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #21 of 77 Old 10-21-2010, 06:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm View Post

Jason -

Note increasing refresh is really just a band aid on motion problems...faster processing itself is what is needed to really fix it. That being said, the HD250 is 60 only.
post #22 of 77 Old 10-22-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:

I think DLPs are sharper. Some people say they are too sharp and therfore digital looking. In any case, the JVC are sharp enough. In other words, no one would complain about it
post #23 of 77 Old 10-22-2010, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Sounds like the 250 is being favored. Would this be the case if your room is NOT light controlled?

-Sean
post #24 of 77 Old 10-22-2010, 03:28 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230-SEAN View Post

Sounds like the 250 is being favored. Would this be the case if your room is NOT light controlled?

-Sean

If your room is not light controlled I wouldn't worry too much with contrast numbers. I'd focus on brightest modes and color correction. The Epson has more options for color, and if I'm not mistaken will have more lumens available when needed. But, I haven't seen the 250 in action so I'm only going with what I've read spec-wise.

For that matter, if the room isn't light controlled, you may also have the option of the 8350 from Epson. Any amount of ambient light hitting the screen is going to negate the fancy contrast ratings of any projector. You'll be most interested in brightness and the ability to tweak the image as much as possible. IMO.

Stephen.

post #25 of 77 Old 10-22-2010, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

If your room is not light controlled I wouldn't worry too much with contrast numbers. I'd focus on brightest modes and color correction. The Epson has more options for color, and if I'm not mistaken will have more lumens available when needed. But, I haven't seen the 250 in action so I'm only going with what I've read spec-wise.

For that matter, if the room isn't light controlled, you may also have the option of the 8350 from Epson. Any amount of ambient light hitting the screen is going to negate the fancy contrast ratings of any projector. You'll be most interested in brightness and the ability to tweak the image as much as possible. IMO.

Well, at night I'm fine, but durring the day the room isn't black. Not sure if that means its not light controlled or not? I would use a new projector strictly for watching movies, and my current PJ would be used for watching tv and playing video games.

-Sean
post #26 of 77 Old 10-26-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230-SEAN View Post

Well, at night I'm fine, but durring the day the room isn't black. Not sure if that means its not light controlled or not? I would use a new projector strictly for watching movies, and my current PJ would be used for watching tv and playing video games.

-Sean

My room isn't black during the day either (basement with windows), but the JVC 250 still looks amazing to me. First PJ so don't take too much stock in it
post #27 of 77 Old 10-26-2010, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I've different models of JVC and Epson. Since the JVC is only about 10% in real cost over the Epson, it's an easy choice to pick the JVC in this situation. However, if someone would compare with the 8500ub, $1,800 is a good price.

BTW, specs don't mean much when comparing projectors, or most products. Manufacturers all play to their strengths.
post #28 of 77 Old 10-26-2010, 05:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post

I've different models of JVC and Epson. Since the JVC is only about 10% in real cost over the Epson, it's an easy choice to pick the JVC in this situation. However, if someone would compare with the 8500ub, $1,800 is a good price.

BTW, specs don't mean much when comparing projectors, or most products. Manufacturers all play to their strengths.

Very true in most cases. JVC actually is one of the few companies that when they say 1000 lumens, it can do it...calibrated. And moreover it does do the 25k:1 contrast (actually higher frequently).
post #29 of 77 Old 10-29-2010, 12:56 AM

Since you are doing just movies, JVC seems like the winner.

Seems like the common sense recommendation for these two leaders would be... if you are doing things that require the extra lumens, then I would go for the Epson. Those cases would be daytime football, honkin' big screen area, or excess light in the room.
post #30 of 77 Old 10-29-2010, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScofieldKid View Post

Since you are doing just movies, JVC seems like the winner.

Seems like the common sense recommendation for these two leaders would be... if you are doing things that require the extra lumens, then I would go for the Epson. Those cases would be daytime football, honkin' big screen area, or excess light in the room.

I will disagree...the JVC can be made to be just as bright as the Epson (by doing the same thing Epson is doing...skewing the settings).
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page