Small room (Bedroom) Keystone question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-26-2010, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
rastargate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 870
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hello All-

Questions for you guys. In my bedroom I currently have a plasma on my wall and was thinking of replacing it with a projector/electric screen combo for aesthetics.

The issue I am having is that the room is small, its a timber loft so ceilings are 11'+ high. My plan was to mount a projector to the beam and Keystone correct the picture.

Is there an easy way to figure out if this will even work?

Thanks!

Ray
rastargate is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 10-26-2010, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fitbrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,079
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastargate View Post

Hello All-

Questions for you guys. In my bedroom I currently have a plasma on my wall and was thinking of replacing it with a projector/electric screen combo for aesthetics.

The issue I am having is that the room is small, its a timber loft so ceilings are 11'+ high. My plan was to mount a projector to the beam and Keystone correct the picture.

Is there an easy way to figure out if this will even work?

Thanks!

Ray

In general, people will tell you not to use keystone, but rather get a projector with sufficient offset and/or lens shift to project as you want. Keystoning alters the image and reduces picture quality; lens shifting affects the image imperceptibly, if at all.
fitbrit is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 10-26-2010, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Jason Turk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Rochester, NY USA
Posts: 12,452
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastargate View Post

Hello All-

Questions for you guys. In my bedroom I currently have a plasma on my wall and was thinking of replacing it with a projector/electric screen combo for aesthetics.

The issue I am having is that the room is small, its a timber loft so ceilings are 11'+ high. My plan was to mount a projector to the beam and Keystone correct the picture.

Is there an easy way to figure out if this will even work?

Thanks!

Ray

Generally tilting a projector is bad. Correcting that keystone with digital correction is worse. There are many with good amounts of shift, but 11' is pretty high if you want to drop it a lot. Why don't you just use an extension ceiling mount and lower it to say 8'? You still won't hit your head but that will allow for a much better result.
Jason Turk is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 10-26-2010, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
rastargate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 870
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk View Post

Generally tilting a projector is bad. Correcting that keystone with digital correction is worse. There are many with good amounts of shift, but 11' is pretty high if you want to drop it a lot. Why don't you just use an extension ceiling mount and lower it to say 8'? You still won't hit your head but that will allow for a much better result.

That is what I did in my living room - works great. But wont work as it will be over my bed

Hmmm maybe plasma it is.
rastargate is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 10-26-2010, 06:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Jason Turk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Rochester, NY USA
Posts: 12,452
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do you stand on your bed? To me it sounds like being over your bed is a benefit, since no one could possibly bump into it...maybe I am not quite understanding...
Jason Turk is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 10-26-2010, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TrickMcKaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I would think a single shelf mounted on the wall at the correct height would be best for a bedroom installation. Ceiling mount at 11' will be too high because it will require too much keystone correction- a little might have been OK. So I say hide the projector on a shelf, not up against the rafters.
TrickMcKaha is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 10-29-2010, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chumpchange21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk View Post

Do you stand on your bed? To me it sounds like being over your bed is a benefit, since no one could possibly bump into it...maybe I am not quite understanding...

Maybe he jumps on his bed

But yeah, a decent LCD would have enough lens shift, how about the 8350?

I Love Apple, BenQ, Samsung, and Acer Products = )
chumpchange21 is offline  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off