Best HD projector under $1,000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 11-03-2010, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok...here's my situation. In an effort to save a few dollars in the midst of a tech revolution in our 10 year old youth center, i tried to install our older PJ's from the ceiling pointing towards are new 16:9 mounted screens. The bottom line is that the old PJ's had long throw lenses and will not give a picture that fills the screen. So, i'm at the point where i think it's time to bite the bullet and get some new ones.

The throw distance is around 30 feet and i'm trying to fill a 58"x104" 16:9 screen. We're coming from a really nice, new computer with 2 super high powered graphics cards...so we're looking for a projector that will really be impressive...ya know, for cheap

our budget is probably no more than a thousand bucks per projector. I'd love to hear some of your thoughts. thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-03-2010, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
You've got virtually no options with that SUPER LONG throw distance. You have to move the projector way forward(maybe the 15' range).
post #3 of 21 Old 11-03-2010, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

yeah, i've given up trying to make the old PJ's work, i'm just looking for advice on buying some new ones.
post #4 of 21 Old 11-04-2010, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettryantalley View Post
yeah, i've given up trying to make the old PJ's work, i'm just looking for advice on buying some new ones.
I am talking about the newer projectors. You need to shorten your throw distance big time.
post #5 of 21 Old 11-04-2010, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

oh really? 30 some feet is going to be too long?

so, whatever the throw distance, which would you recommend?
post #6 of 21 Old 11-04-2010, 08:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Jim is right. The only "New" PJ out there that even comes close is the 8350, a $1200 .00 - 2000 lumen 1080p unit whose Focal Length at 24' would provide that 104" x 58" screen with a rightly sized image. However you'll have to watch everything in severely restricted lighting conditions...or total darkness for a good image because the Foot Lamberts will only be 9fls, even with 2K lumens.
At 20' the Fls increase to 11fl, which doesn't sound like much....but is significantly better than 9 fls

You can't afford an axillary Long Throw Lens option for any newer PJs, they all start at $500+. It sounds like your older PJs were Presentation PJs anyway, some that had Long Throws and plenty of Lumens.

It would be well worth your effort to relocate your Mounting location. If you move up to 20' somehow, you could also pick up a "Like New" Reconditioned Epson 6100 or 8100 for a Grand or slightly less and squeak into 10 fls

However, if you take the previously suggested advice to breast and move "way up" the image quality and dynamics with any of the aforementioned units will be awsome. Once again...well worth the effort.

There are now available High Quality HDMI cords for $1.00 ft, so don't let that aspect be a hesitation factor. Barring expense...or simply inconvenience, is there any over riding circumstance that disallows your relocation the PJs location? Is the PJ mounted off the Ceiling? Or on a Stand? Another thing, the Optoma HD20 is a "sub-$1000" 1080p unit, but it doesn't have anything remotely like the available throw distances of the Epsons I have mentioned, nor does it posses Lens Shift...something really advantageous for anyone not familiar with, or experienced with accurately placing a PJ that does not have such an advantage.

If your options are not constrained to any really high degree, and you provide so really explicit details as to the Room's attributes....or failings, you can be certain we can get'cha hooked up and wowed in no time, and at the least possible expense.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #7 of 21 Old 11-05-2010, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Agreed...at 30' that is a 3.46x throw...virtually nothing can do that, especially in this budget range. Try and stick to more like 2.5x max (22'ish)...that will open up many more options...
post #8 of 21 Old 11-06-2010, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

oh really? 30 some feet is going to be too long?

so, whatever the throw distance, which would you recommend?

Is there a reason why you can't throw it from a shorter distance?

I Love Apple, BenQ, Samsung, and Acer Products = )
post #9 of 21 Old 11-07-2010, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

no, i can throw from shorter. 30' is just where they are right now...we can move it though.
post #10 of 21 Old 11-07-2010, 01:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Excellent advice so far. One point I'd like to make is not to get too hung up on brightness levels. There is lots of talk about accepted minimum brightness levels, but some people like bright pictures, and some like dim pictures. I myself am quite happy with the 4-5fls I get from my setup. Do I sometimes wish for more brightness? Yes, but rarely. Keep in mind that I watch in a completely dark room. If there is ambient light, you will need more brightness. How much more? That is beyond the realm of my experience.

Rob
post #11 of 21 Old 11-07-2010, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Highly advised to move closer since you stated you can...you will have many many more options to choose from.
post #12 of 21 Old 11-07-2010, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

okay fellas...a few questions. First, i've attached a picture that gives you an idea of our space. we do have new 16:9 screens attached to the walls (the green ones) which we'll be shooting too.

I seem to find myself looking more often at "home theater" projectors than i do "presentation" projectors which our original sanyos are...is that okay? We will be able to place them a lot closer to the screen than the Sanyo's were and i think i'll be fine with at least 1300-2000 lumens. with our budget of around $1,000 per projector, so many of the "presentation" PJs seem out of range.

anyway...for the space, i seem to be leaning toward some of the following projectors. let me know if you guys think they will work...and if not...why.

http://www.amazon.com/Epson-PowerLit...9178153&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-W1000-108...9177978&sr=8-6

you guys have been a huge and awesome help with this process. thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-HC3...9177950&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD20-De...9178642&sr=1-1
LL
post #13 of 21 Old 11-08-2010, 04:36 AM

Instead of the w1000 you should consider the w1000+, its the better version and probably the same price.
post #14 of 21 Old 11-08-2010, 06:49 AM

If I were you I would look for a local HHGregg store. And see if they will give you the 20% off deal on the Epson 8350. If you dont have a store locally they have a website you can visit.

I can add that I have put my Epson 8350 at 23' just on my bar(temporary placement) and I have a 122" screen. Just on a gray painted wall. This picture is great. I have also put the projector at 12' and thrown the same picture. The 10 foot difference is huge in picture brightness. As MississippiMan has stated in other threads. I would go to the link below and mount the Projector within 6" of the minimum throw.

Minimum throw for 106" screen for the Epson 8350 is 10' 4". So anywhere around 11' should be great.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epso...ulator-pro.htm
post #15 of 21 Old 11-09-2010, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Okay, HOLD ON. There has been discussions about your 30' throw... however, now with your picture it seems like this is in fact a LARGE ROOM with lots of lights.

What is the purpose of this projector going to be for? Movies? Or presentations for education or something like that cause you said it's a Youth center. It's important because if you're going to be making presentations or BOTH, that means during some occasions there will be lights on, correct? It is important that you gives us the detail scenarios of the usage for this or these projectors.

1) Is this room a basement, cause I can't see any windows?
2) Is the room 100% light controlled = if you turn off the light it's pitch black (i.e.: basement)?
3) What is the main usage for this projector?
4) While the projector is being used, will there be ambient light in the background?
5) Are there any windows?

post #16 of 21 Old 11-09-2010, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the questions chump...

it's a church youth center and the projector will be used for just about everything. video, satellite, Powerpoint, etc. There are a lot of lights, but when it's in use, the fluorescent lights are off and the stage lights don't shine on the screen.

it's not a basement, but the light control is very good. there are a few "window doors", but nothing that is glaring on the stage or near the screen.

hopefully that helps.

I've been recommended the Optoma HD2200 by a guy who works with video stuff at the church. I guess i can find some for 1500 and he thinks the $500 jump is worth it. any experience there? if i up the budget to 1500 per projector, are there any out there you think are clearly better than the HD2200? it's just so overwhelming because there are so many options. I look on Amazon and i keep thinking, "oh, what if that one is better?"

you guys have been awesome.
post #17 of 21 Old 11-09-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:

I've been recommended the Optoma HD2200 by a guy who works with video stuff at the church. I guess i can find some for 1500 and he thinks the $500 jump is worth it. any experience there? if i up the budget to 1500 per projector, are there any out there you think are clearly better than the HD2200? it's just so overwhelming because there are so many options. I look on Amazon and i keep thinking, "oh, what if that one is better?"
The HD2200 is basically a slightly beefed up version of the HD20. More lumens and better contrast + ISF certified calibration controls. 3 year warranty, 2 years on the lamp, zero dead-pixel guarantee. Sweet little machine, and I would probably own it if you didn't have to go through an AVAD dealer/installer to get it.
post #18 of 21 Old 11-10-2010, 04:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:

thanks for the questions chump...

it's a church youth center and the projector will be used for just about everything. video, satellite, Powerpoint, etc. There are a lot of lights, but when it's in use, the fluorescent lights are off and the stage lights don't shine on the screen.

it's not a basement, but the light control is very good. there are a few "window doors", but nothing that is glaring on the stage or near the screen.

hopefully that helps.

It helps a lot...and it also suggests that you really need to zone in on a PJ with the correct specs and feature set for the money.

Quote:

you guys have been awesome.

His advice means well, but it hinders your installation options.

The HD2200 does not have Lens Shift, and it has approx a 3.5" Lens Offset, which means it (...the center of the lens....) absolutely MUST be placed 3.5" above the top edge of the Screen.

The HD2200 has a limited Zoom range, combined with a relatively short throw potential (13' - 15.6') Everything about it suggests that you'll need to mount it closer to the screen than your were ever expecting to, and have it be down as far as to make it seem to be almost in front of the Screen.

If 1080p is a factor (nice to have...but hardly so in a Church environment) the Epson 3850 is your best choice. You can mount it close (12') but 2' above the top of the Screen ($1200.00)

You could fall back to 1280x800 resolution and get the Optoma EW536
  • 2700 Lumens @ 3000:1 CR Good specs for your application.
  • HDMI input 3D Ready
  • 4000 hour Bulb on Econo (...you should be able to run it on Econo)
  • DLP ... No Filters to change....sealed Light Engine
  • Longer throw. Mount it at 16'
  • Greater lens Offset. Will mount sufficiently high above the Screen (14.2")
  • A LOT less expensive ($750.00)

Or this one for even less! ($539.00)
Optoma EW1610
http://www.deltacamera.com/ProductDe...tCode=OpEW1610

.......although it's throw distance is shorter, it still has a significant Lens Offset (12") and it's incredibly bright (2700 lumens )
Contrast specs are lower, but that's not as big a concern IF you are in fact controlling your ambient light.

Perhaps most important....both Optomas are at lest 2/3rds as small as the Epson.
The biggest difference between the two is the EW1610 has a Digital DVI input. The EW536 has HDMI

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #19 of 21 Old 11-10-2010, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

wow...thanks. it looks like we'll be able to hang the PJ 12' out from the screen and the projector will sit about 6 inches above the top of the screen. it will also be mounted in a way where we can tilt it up and down...will that make much of a difference?
post #20 of 21 Old 11-10-2010, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

how about the Optoma TH1060? does it have the same issues with placement flexibility?
post #21 of 21 Old 11-12-2010, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

how about the Optoma TH1060? does it have the same issues with placement flexibility?

The TH1060 would be great, but yes, it does not have lens shift so placement flexibility would be limited. But its great for it's high lumen 3600, 1080p, and 3 years of warranty!!!!

However, it does only have 2500:1 which honestly I don't think will be a big considering factor for you as in most church related settings you're not going for quality but more of size and practicality for the masses, correct?

However, once again, the TH1060 lacks placement flexibility.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page