AAXA M2 - 110 lumen XGA? $369 portable? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 52 Old 02-08-2011, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I'm on my ship and have been using my M2 for a while and I have to say... for this application it is absolutely perfect. The throw gives me the exact size screen I can accomodate... as if it were designed for my cabin.

I haven't spent a lot of time messing with the settings but my only complaint is how not black the blacks are... I remember reading somewhere that with a little tweaking this works itself out... Can anyone out there with an M2 chime in with some settings they have found that work well for their pj?

I will try to take some shots and put them up soon, but lack of good internet is one of the main drawbacks of working on a ship.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 03-05-2011, 08:56 AM

I bought this projector back in November and was initially impressed with the both the brightness and the image quality and color. The major flaw was that I could not get it to produce the correct aspect ratio with my Magnavox Blu-ray player - non of the aspect choices on the Blu-ray player would give the correct "wide" aspect. Luckily I did not have to same problem with my Dish HD-PVR Satellite receiver, I simply chose 720P with 4x3 choice #2 in the HD setup menu and the aspect ratio was wide and looked good. The colors on the image were pretty good and could be tweaked somewhat (saturation, contrast, brightness, warm, cool, etc.) and I was able to get about and an 85" image (wide / diag.) from 12 feet away.

HOWEVER, the fan made odd noises from the get go. I thought it was just a loud fan but within a few weeks the projector would not start without several tries and I could tell the fan was struggling to work. It eventually stopped coming on and I sent it back for a replacement.

The new one arrived in a timely manor and it has worked perfectly since (except for that pesky Bly-Ray play aspect ratio problem).

One note, the projector does handle 16:9 from my older DVD player correctly if I choose the 4x3 aspect ratio from the DVD's setup menu (it is an upconverter model with HDMI out). So I am using that for all my DVD playback to the projector.

I have had the projector on for upwards of 8 or 9 hours at a time, day after day and so far it is fine. With 15,000 hours I can do that for almost 5 years and at $370 that is not a bad deal - hell, its cheaper then a HD TV would be and much bigger. It is certainly more enjoyable then my 46 inch LCD - a 1080P Samsung which does look sharper then the projector but again the projector is only XGA not actually 720P or 1080i HD!

I do recommend this projector for basic HD TV viewing and regular DVD play back. Since I can not use my current blue-ray disk with it I can't give an opinion - I do suspect that the problem may partial be the Magnavox blu-ray player, which was a cheap model (doesn't even have internet access) so I plan on buying a new one soon and when I do I will post the result I get!
post #33 of 52 Old 03-05-2011, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm still curious about the Axxa and Acer since I own the PT100 (20 lumens in normal viewing mode vs 50 lumens for Bright mode lol!!)

But I'm also excited to see what the next couple of months hold for small portable and hopefully, quiet led models...
post #34 of 52 Old 03-10-2011, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mine started to make some bad fan sound(bearings) aaxa asked where and when I got mine,Known bad lot?

(fifth element)
post #35 of 52 Old 03-10-2011, 02:34 PM

Hmmm, could the Axxa fan noise issue that it's known for be due to the bearing issue to begin with?
post #36 of 52 Old 03-12-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat View Post

wait for the vivatec quimi .300 lumen, 720 p, 3d, 500$

Where can I find info on the projector you mention in this post? (vivatec? or something like that)?
post #37 of 52 Old 03-12-2011, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaBear View Post

Where can I find info on the projector you mention in this post? (vivatec? or something like that)?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1304775

(fifth element)
post #38 of 52 Old 03-14-2011, 04:41 PM

I had to return 2 of these to get a good one...but it was worth it. The 1st had a bad fan (would make terrible noise when 1st powered up), then the replacement they sent had a bad hdmi port. While waiting for the 3rd one, they told me that they were just getting in a new batch with ball bearing fans and asked if I'd like to wait an extra week or 2 for them. I said yes and am glad I did....this 3rd one is much quieter than the 1st 2. Thinking they discovered an issue with the original fans and decided to go with a higher quality fan w/ ball bearing.
post #39 of 52 Old 03-30-2011, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

They sent me a new one also-just got it-the lens cap works now!sadly the brick wont green light...no power.

(fifth element)
post #40 of 52 Old 04-06-2011, 09:39 PM

That sounds like a short....does the brick power up if its unplugged from the projector, then go out soon as you plug into the projector?
post #41 of 52 Old 04-06-2011, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

yea it was a short ,They sent out a new power brick.the bezel on the lens has a ridge now and the lens cover fits nice and the fans are way quieter,I read some where they are BB instead of sleeved.Its sitting next to a six core amd with the case sides off and a stock cpu cooler and the cpu cooler is louder now.I am pleased.Cust. service is out of santa anna in so.California -20 miles from me .

(fifth element)
post #42 of 52 Old 04-07-2011, 05:28 PM

Cool. Yea the fan noise was much quieter on the 3rd one. I had to wait 5-7 days tho each time since I'm in PA.

Is it the same brick or did they change models? Does it still get rather hot?
post #43 of 52 Old 04-07-2011, 07:36 PM

Well if they're a good bit quieter I might hold out for a used one possibly once the new crop come out. I'm sending my PT100 into Optoma next week for the focus issue and it's been making loud noises (fan related)...

I'd still like a brighter unit as the PT100 needs complete darkness (though it doesn't look bad except for some odd picture discoloration in dark scenes)...

Jeremy
post #44 of 52 Old 04-07-2011, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Same brick, Im gonna open it up and fix it for a spare if possible.

(fifth element)
post #45 of 52 Old 04-16-2011, 10:33 PM

Hey guys, I just got mine and there's something I noticed different from the email from their techsupport. He stated that the HDMI was 1.2, but it's HDMI 1.4 that carries sound right? I just connected my M2 to my Logitec Revue and there was sound coming out of the M2!

it's not the size of the Boat... it's the brightness and the lightness... errr wait...
post #46 of 52 Old 04-17-2011, 01:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
All versions of HDMI transport sound. This was one of the reasons it rapidly replaced DVI as the HD cable of choice.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #47 of 52 Old 05-09-2011, 10:58 AM

ha! never knew that! well. the 1.2 version of the M2 i guess did not support sound and now i guess it has the 1.4 version and they added audio output to the hdmi...

i'm just happy i have sound.

it's not the size of the Boat... it's the brightness and the lightness... errr wait...
post #48 of 52 Old 08-05-2011, 07:42 AM

Hey guys, to any of you who own this projector what has your experience been with the settings? What settings do you use for the best color/clarity (I find it's hard to keep the top and bottom of the screen in focus when using the keystoning... is this normal for projectors)

Thanks!
post #49 of 52 Old 04-13-2012, 06:20 AM

Yes please, can someone share configs... I having a problem with some vertical stripe lines when I put the text in focus and not sure why... if it's a faulty device or something I changed and not sure what or why... It's hard to repeat the problem, but basically is when text is sharp and you see something like a wall painted in red as image, you can see some small vertical lines, making the wall not fully red in all it's surface. Now if I move a liitle the focus, the image is muuuch better but the text looks blurry.... I think that the reaally poor manual is not helping and it's something I could have changed and now, can get it back... or, maybe is faulty... don't know.

So any configuration you use will be great. Thanks.
post #50 of 52 Old 09-23-2012, 09:38 AM

smile.gif just ordered m2,nice post...
post #51 of 52 Old 04-06-2013, 09:07 PM

How about a thread bump for a once beloved LED pj lol??

Actually now that I have one, I'd like to see who still has one of these around. I know they're somewhat outdated and way outgunned now, but the throw ratio is perfect for my office (as was the ratio of the Optoma PT100) and without a way to easily shrink the image (large ceiling fixture prevents ceiling mounting), I'm stuck with an XGA or SVGA for now.

So is anyone still around that uses the M2? It looks like most of the owners are very low posters so I don't have high hopes. I'm still trying to get a sharp image (image is blurred/smeared looking) and wouldn't mind some owner insight.

FWIW, mine is connected to my desktop/video card (DVI) via a Bluerigger 25' HDMI to DVI cable. I use VLC player for playback.

I've been playing around with various resolutions in nVidia Control Panel to keep a 16:9 aspect ratio; for example I tried 1280x720 but the picture was very smooth to the extent of things being a bit on the blurry/smeared side though in focus. I'm now watching (as we speak) Back to the Future from the SD Trilogy set in 1024x576 (16:9) and it's pretty grainy?noisy? (like the entire image/pixels are tiny jumping beans lol)

When I pause the movie, the grainy look stops/smooths out so I'm guessing it's all in the video settings or something.

Funny thing is when I play the movie in VLC, only by selecting 2:35 aspect ratio with VLC do I get a full screen for this movie, but that's another story...

Don't fear the bump lol!
post #52 of 52 Old 09-27-2013, 01:42 AM

Cool, São Luís picture,E92M3!  

= ) 

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page