Advice on choosing a ceiling mount for Epson 8350... - AVS Forum
Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP > Advice on choosing a ceiling mount for Epson 8350...
nykman's Avatar nykman 08:50 AM 11-30-2010
First off, thanks in advance....this forum has helped me with all my Home Theater decisions the last five years...I don't like to start new threads...but I figure all this info in one place could be useful to others as well.....

So like many people, I just picked up my 8350 this past week during all the specials....I'm upgrading from a Mitsubishi HC1500...

With that I was using this mount from monoprice:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

When I tried mounting the 8350 on it, I can get all the legs to attach, but I don't have the flexibility to get the center of gravity correct, and projector ends up tilting downwards in the front. I'm not sure if the problem is the center of gravity, or that the tilt function of the mount is too weak, or a combination of both.

So now I am looking to get a new mount. I'm willing to pay more if I need to, but I'd prefer something <$50. I don't need much out of the mount besdies simply hanging onto the celing flat and straight.

I have a few in mind, and I would really appreciate anyone's opinion on which is the smartest option, or if there is another mount I should look into:

Monoprice 6528:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Monoprice: 5466:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

PCMD for Epson 8350:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=all

Mount Direct PMS:
http://www.mountdirect.com/Projector...ries_p/pms.htm

Mount Direct NPL:
http://www.mountdirect.com/Projector...ries_p/npl.htm


THANKS!

nykman's Avatar nykman 04:17 PM 11-30-2010
One more I'm considering:

Ebay:
Projector Ceiling Mount for EPSON PowerLite 8500UB 8100
Rudmeister's Avatar Rudmeister 04:58 PM 11-30-2010
I ordered the pcmd from Amazon but, unfortunately, have not recieved it yet. ETA Dec 7
mjg100's Avatar mjg100 05:04 PM 11-30-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudmeister View Post

I ordered the pcmd from Amazon but, unfortunately, have not recieved it yet. ETA Dec 7

Same here. Mine should be here this week, but my projector has been acting up (again) and I sent it off to Planar Monday. Good news is Planar is replacing my two year old projector (1,700 hrs.) with a brand new unit. New unit scheduled to be shipped this Wed.
nykman's Avatar nykman 05:00 PM 12-01-2010
I think I'm leaning towards the Mount Direct NPL:
http://www.mountdirect.com/Projector...ries_p/npl.htm



any last second advice before I pull the trigger tomorrow morning???
wormraper's Avatar wormraper 11:22 PM 12-03-2010
I'm looking at it's sister mount the PMS series one due to having a sideways angled roof. any trebidations on the PMS one from mount direct or am I good ??? (using it for an 5.1 lb Epson 705HD)

http://www.mountdirect.com/Projector...ries_p/pms.htm
andy777's Avatar andy777 06:21 PM 05-15-2011
Sorry to resurrect and old thread. I'm curious about any of the choices that any of you ended up with in regards to mount options for your 8350. Thanks.
gsmollin's Avatar gsmollin 09:00 PM 05-15-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy777 View Post

Sorry to resurrect and old thread. I'm curious about any of the choices that any of you ended up with in regards to mount options for your 8350. Thanks.

Chief RPU-U. Mounts are very important for stable operation.
twalkabout's Avatar twalkabout 05:50 AM 09-05-2011
Price no object - I'm looking for the most rock solid ceiling mount out there. It's going to be mounted right above my bed where my head is, so if it were to fail, a 22 pound projector would crash upon my noggin. I'm going to have a ocntractor do the mounting and make sure it's to the studs, I realize that's probably the biggest part of it. However, some of the amazon reviews I read about the "Atdec TH-WH-PJ-FM Telehook Universal Projector Flush Mount" were mostly very positive, but a couple said the screws were cheap and broke. I'm all for a full immersion home theater, but not necessarily to the extent of sustaining a crushed skull while watching the latest action flick...

I'm a newbie and I apologize for my first post both bumping an old thread and being a question. I figured two faux pas would cancel each other out...
mjg100's Avatar mjg100 08:04 AM 09-05-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by twalkabout View Post

Price no object - I'm looking for the most rock solid ceiling mount out there. It's going to be mounted right above my bed where my head is, so if it were to fail, a 22 pound projector would crash upon my noggin. I'm going to have a ocntractor do the mounting and make sure it's to the studs, I realize that's probably the biggest part of it. However, some of the amazon reviews I read about the "Atdec TH-WH-PJ-FM Telehook Universal Projector Flush Mount" were mostly very positive, but a couple said the screws were cheap and broke. I'm all for a full immersion home theater, but not necessarily to the extent of sustaining a crushed skull while watching the latest action flick...

I'm a newbie and I apologize for my first post both bumping an old thread and being a question. I figured two faux pas would cancel each other out...

I have tried the cheap mounts and you get what you pay for. I would look at some of the better mounts like Chief.
allbaugh_04's Avatar allbaugh_04 09:48 PM 01-30-2012
Anyone buy a mount that works, that isn't 150 dollars?
MississippiMan's Avatar MississippiMan 10:28 PM 01-30-2012
Nothing beats a rock solid, stable Mount that can be infinitely adjusted on every axis, then locked down so it "never" moves.

Cheaper mounts that offer one screw on each side are at least better than "One Point Gimbal" mounts that use a Ball w/Set screw. Avoid those like the Plague they are.

The "$135.00" Chief RPA-168 has "Three Screws" on each of the four sides, is extremely low profile, built like a small Tank, and uses a 1.5" Threaded Opening to accept metal or PVC Drop Pipes of wholly selectable lengths.

The "cheaper" 4-point / 4 screw Mounts, mostly have a square Drop that is either fixed or limited in length. Most incorporate a "Spider" design that extends leg channels out from a central Hub to the mounting holes. The RPA-168 comes with a Stamped Plate dedicated to the 8350's mounting configuration. It's the "BomB".

It's really a simple "Ante-up or make do as best as..." kinda proposition. If you know what to look for....you can get lucky though. The two recently shown can work out if you nail the adjustment the first time out....it's just that they don't suffer repeated adjustments very well. I realize $50.00 sounds like a lot less...and is a lot less than $135.00, but if functionality, ease of installation, and good looks count ar all, count no further than 168.

Get the Chief through Projector People. Ext 2002 (Kirk) he'll see to it you get it for the lowest possible price. Ask for the Mississippi Special.
allbaugh_04's Avatar allbaugh_04 12:21 PM 01-31-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Nothing beats a rock solid, stable Mount that can be infinitely adjusted on every axis, then locked down so it "never" moves.

Cheaper mounts that offer one screw on each side are at least better than "One Point Gimbal" mounts that use a Ball w/Set screw. Avoid those like the Plague they are.

The "$135.00" Chief RPA-168 has "Three Screws" on each of the four sides, is extremely low profile, built like a small Tank, and uses a 1.5" Threaded Opening to accept metal or PVC Drop Pipes of wholly selectable lengths.

The "cheaper" 4-point / 4 screw Mounts, mostly have a square Drop that is either fixed or limited in length. Most incorporate a "Spider" design that extends leg channels out from a central Hub to the mounting holes. The RPA-168 comes with a Stamped Plate dedicated to the 8350's mounting configuration. It's the "BomB".

It's really a simple "Ante-up or make do as best as..." kinda proposition. If you know what to look for....you can get lucky though. The two recently shown can work out if you nail the adjustment the first time out....it's just that they don't suffer repeated adjustments very well. I realize $50.00 sounds like a lot less...and is a lot less than $135.00, but if functionality, ease of installation, and good looks count ar all, count no further than 168.

Get the Chief through Projector People. Ext 2002 (Kirk) he'll see to it you get it for the lowest possible price. Ask for the Mississippi Special.

That sounds decent.

Can you answer one question though? This mount will work if I mount it to the HVAC beam going across the room, but what if I decide that is too low? The bottom of the projector will be at the height of 6'6 or lower.

If I have to mount it behind the HVAC, is there a way to extend the mount?
MississippiMan's Avatar MississippiMan 02:40 PM 01-31-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post

That sounds decent.

Can you answer one question though? This mount will work if I mount it to the HVAC beam going across the room, but what if I decide that is too low? The bottom of the projector will be at the height of 6'6 or lower.

If I have to mount it behind the HVAC, is there a way to extend the mount?

Absolutely. The 1.5" NPT Female Threaded opening allows you to introduce any specified length of 1.5" Pipe, be it Steel or PVC. Peerless makes a Round Ceiling Plate (ACC-570) http://www.amazon.com/Peerless-Indus.../dp/B000BITSTA that easily bolts to the Ceiling. All you need to get a perfect length is to get a $3.00 24" length of Sch. 40 PVC and two Threaded Male Couplings. Cut the Pip to length, Glue the Male couplings to each end, screw the pipe into the Mount/Plate, and hang the PJ at the exact height you want it....not screws, no "Frankenstein-ian" hardware, just a clean, smooth installation, one that can allow you to pass the 110 and HDMI down inside the Pipe and have it exit at the rear of the Pj.
flyjpilot's Avatar flyjpilot 11:47 AM 02-13-2012
Does anyone have another option for the 8350? Also, my ceiling in the theater is at 9 feet. I have hung my screen (8ft wide by 4Ft tall ) at 8 feet (top). Do I need to drop the projector down? How much do you recommend a drop with a mount? I am thinking of a 16" drop.


Update: I just ordered the Mount Direct NPL:
http://www.mountdirect.com/Projector...ries_p/npl.htm
I will let you know when I get it up.
domingos38's Avatar domingos38 07:08 PM 02-13-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyjpilot View Post

Does anyone have another option for the 8350? Also, my ceiling in the theater is at 9 feet. I have hung my screen (8ft wide by 4Ft tall ) at 8 feet (top). Do I need to drop the projector down? How much do you recommend a drop with a mount? I am thinking of a 16" drop.


Update: I just ordered the Mount Direct NPL:
http://www.mountdirect.com/Projector...ries_p/npl.htm
I will let you know when I get it up.

http://www.projectorpoint.com/produc...4/RPA-168.aspx

http://www.pcrush.com/product/Projec...unt?refid=1238
einstein4pres's Avatar einstein4pres 08:21 PM 02-13-2012
I was going to reuse my:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00067OR60

It's supported my acer pd100 for 6 years, though it's more like 5 lbs than 20 lbs. Specs say max supported load is 30 lbs.

This looks like the bottom of the projector:
http://images.highspeedbackbone.net/...call16-cba.jpg
thelegend9123's Avatar thelegend9123 09:54 PM 02-13-2012
I ordered the Epson 8350 last night with the Peerless PRG-UNV mount and the ACC570 plate and will have Lowes or Home Depot custom cut a 1.5 pipe and thread it for me to make up my mount. I'll report back how it works out tomorrow night when I install it.
flyjpilot's Avatar flyjpilot 11:09 PM 03-14-2012
I got the mount (Mount Direct NPL) and a 12 inch extension off of EBay and it was not too expensive. It went together and up in no time at all. I screwed the top of the mount into the floor/ceiling joist and it is pretty solid. It has adjustment screws for all angles and lock down screws for the quick disconnect, so easy to install. I used 3 of the center arms and then one extension, so it is slightly off center, but with the strength of the unit, there are no issues.


WestCoastD's Avatar WestCoastD 11:20 PM 03-14-2012
Anyone know what brand/model this mount is?
http://www.retailestore.com/Images/E...500_AA300_.jpg

I really like it. Plan to use with Epson 3010
Mr.G's Avatar Mr.G 07:44 AM 03-15-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

Anyone know what brand/model this mount is?
http://www.retailestore.com/Images/E...500_AA300_.jpg

I really like it. Plan to use with Epson 3010

It's a Peerless wall mount coupled with one of the Peerless projector mounts.

http://www.amazon.com/Peerless-Pwa-1...ata/B000AMC5E2

Probably this one.

http://www.amazon.com/White-Precisio...p_ob_e_title_2
WestCoastD's Avatar WestCoastD 01:35 PM 03-15-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

It's a Peerless wall mount coupled with one of the Peerless projector mounts

ah, I see, thanks! I like the design of this mount system, it's solid and robust and simple.
tordles's Avatar tordles 07:40 PM 02-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyjpilot View Post

I got the mount (Mount Direct NPL) and a 12 inch extension off of EBay and it was not too expensive. It went together and up in no time at all. I screwed the top of the mount into the floor/ceiling joist and it is pretty solid. It has adjustment screws for all angles and lock down screws for the quick disconnect, so easy to install. I used 3 of the center arms and then one extension, so it is slightly off center, but with the strength of the unit, there are no issues.


Hi,

I have the same mount as you now, could you specify what holes you used to mount it?

Best
Tord
Up
Mobile  Desktop