HD66 random searching for signal - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-06-2010, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had my HD66 for about a month now and one thing I can't figure out is why I get these random searching for signal and screen turns blue. It last 2-5 seconds and screen comes back.

I have two Cat5 run to an HDMI extender plugged into the projector and the other plugged into a Sherwood RD-8504 reciever. Connected to the receiver, I have Directv, Xbox360, and PS3. All of the components I have changed the output to 720p. When it searches in the projector show 720p found for all 3.

It happens playing games, watching a movie, or just watching something on directv and it may not happen for an hour and then it might do it 2-3 times in 30 minutes. I can't figure it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I'd take components out of the loop until you find it. for example-
-First, run an hdmi straight from the receiver to the projector - no cat5 converter - and see if it fixes it. If it does, something's up with your converter or your cat5 cable.
-If it still does it then, try taking the receiver out of the loop
-If there's still a problem then, you should be direct connection of an hdmi cable from the source to the projector. You could try changing the hdmi cable at that point...
-If at that point, if you can confirm that you have multiple sources experiencing the same issue over, direct connected via hdmi, with multiple hdmi cables, and you're still having an issue, then it's likely a problem with the projector itself.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll try that.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Let us know how that works for you. I currently run two mono price 50' cables to my Pany AX200 and am very seriously considering the HD66 for replacement. I get the same issue with my pany but only when using cable which i'm 99% sure is the fault of the cable box.

29 Litres of Infinite Baffle Bliss. Oh, and the rest of the setup isn't too shabby either!
Old 01-04-2011, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I have been using the same heavy gauge 35ft hdmi cable since my hd 70 then hd 65 and now hd66.... I can attest I also have issues on the hd 66 with any resolution higher than 720 randomly losing connection and giving the snow screen followed by the searching for signal....I'm going to assume since it was best with the hd 70 and I had a few issues with the hd65 not finding the signal and the hd66 being the worse that the electronics involved are of a cheaper grade or the newer hdmi firmware has more hurdles to overcome ... I'm using the same switch and sources so... either way I'm sure its a huge disappointment to many optoma fans and their are many referrences to this issue on this forum..
Old 01-31-2011, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry I haven't had a chance to test a straight HDMI cable yet. I can tell you that I run just 720p from all my sources and it happens on Directv, xbox 360, and PS3. It is so frustrating when playing a game or watching a movie and all the sudden it goes to searching for signal and then comes back. I hope to try a straight HDMI cable, but looking at some of these other post, I am not sure that will be the cure and may just have to get a different projector.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:54 AM

I have recently bought a HD66 and have it running through a Pioneer VSX-1021-K with 3D pass through connected to a PS3.
I found the blue screen annoying as well. So I just changed the back ground to black and change source lock to ON. This resulted in minimal searches and when they did occur the effect was minimizes by the now black (previous blue) background.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Just an update to this old post since I didn't leave a resolution. What we found is when the a/c would kick on, for some reason it was affecting either the cat 5 cable or the adapter. So I ran an hdmi cable straight from the projector to the receiver and this fixed the problem.