Viewsonic Pro8200 -- it exists. - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1090 Old 12-15-2011, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Can't remember from before but did anyone try VS tech service?

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1090 Old 12-16-2011, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Have about 400 hours on the projector, no issues.
This is an excellent gaming projector BTW, it beats a JVC RS-45 for gaming, of course the JVC beats it in movies.

With 2.09 firmware I guess I do have the color reset bug I suppose, but here is the deal, it only resets the USER COLOR and not the detailed CMS Gains. So this isn't a big deal to me. Takes 10 seconds to reset it and I doubt it happens every time, but since I leave the color in HIGH mode and not USER, then no biggie anyhow. There is also another bug where it isn't applying the custom settings sometimes when you first turn the projector on, all you have to do is go into the menu and move the contrast or brightness up or down one notch then it is corrected. Eco mode only gets reset if you actually turn DRN / dynamic contrast mode on (or whatever it was called). BTW, I think DRN mode on my projector is broken anyways, I can see no difference turning it on or off.

After some lamp wear, I think the best picture is obtained by using Standard mode with HIGH color temp (not Medium) and then adjusting the Gain and Saturation of the colors individually. At least this was the easiest for me to do by eye until I do a full calibration with a meter. Although there is likely some variance, so some may prefer Medium. I find Medium has way too strong REDS and YELLOWS however. I think once I went to High temp, then go into the CMS gains, I got Red in darker scenes much more tamed without dulling the RED out too much (which is what happens when I try to tame it in Medium mode), I also had to drop yellow a bit. Remember I am speaking of the color gains not the main RGB Color controls (not the 50/50/50 one).

The color has really improved substantially at 400 hours compared to when it was new, a lot of the color error has faded off the lamp as the lamp has lost a little brightness. The projector loses most brightness between 0 and 250 hours, then it levels off. It is still an absolute light canon after 400 hours on the lamp (brighter than a brand new JVC with a new lamp).

I find these little bugs no big deal to be honest, even without an updated firmware. If I paid $1500 for the projector then I'd consider these bugs to be more annoying but still not a deal breaker, and this projector produces an AMAZING image in this sub $1000 price class. Only the Benq w1100 or Mits hc4000 (not as bright) is a competitor to the image quality in this price range, but this projector has less RBE than either of those. As a matter of fact I have found the RBE on this projector to be less than every other 4x cw DLP, and I am very RBE sensitive. On those other projectors I am not able to play any game on them because of the RBE, on the Viewsonic the RBE doesn't bother me in gaming. I am not sure if this is due to the 7-segment color wheel or because the VS has brighter blacks (less contrast), but as an RBE sensitive person I'll take the brighter blacks over the extra RBE, so for me this Viewsonic is all win-win (price, sharpness, less RBE than competitors). The only projector I can think of that is likely to produce less RBE would cost $800 more (the Optoma hd33 with a 6x wheel), and then of course some other $3000+ ones.

I also own a JVC RS-45 which just arrived a few days ago, I use the JVC for movies and the Viewsonic for TV and games. The Viewsonic is no slouch in movies either though, it just doesn't have the black levels or contrast in darker scenes.

I am still planning on calibrating, it's just this lamp is so incredibly bright and over-powered I figure I'll wait until 500 hours on it, I can see the overly strong reds still fading a bit which is going to help my end calibration.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #273 of 1090 Old 12-16-2011, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I guess I'll be waiting a little longer on mine. Got the Amazon "Like New - open box" today. Opened it up, and it looked like it had never even been out of the package. Unboxed everything, hooked up my laptop via VGA to it at work. Pushed the power button, and it turn on, but no fan or light. Pushed the button again and the fan came on. Gave it some time to warm up...and nothing. The fan ran for a few minutes, then it kind of squeaked and shut off. 30 seconds later, the fan started running again. I was never able to get any kind of picture. Neither of the error lights were on...but the thing just wouldn't come on. It was like it kept trying to start, but couldn't, so it would restart itself and try again.

Sending it back to Amazon and getting a brand spanking new one. Only problem is, now the thing has gone up $50 in the last two days!

I can't win!
post #274 of 1090 Old 12-24-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Have about 400 hours on the projector, no issues.
This is an excellent gaming projector BTW, it beats a JVC RS-45 for gaming, of course the JVC beats it in movies.

With 2.09 firmware I guess I do have the color reset bug I suppose, but here is the deal, it only resets the USER COLOR and not the detailed CMS Gains. So this isn't a big deal to me. Takes 10 seconds to reset it and I doubt it happens every time, but since I leave the color in HIGH mode and not USER, then no biggie anyhow. There is also another bug where it isn't applying the custom settings sometimes when you first turn the projector on, all you have to do is go into the menu and move the contrast or brightness up or down one notch then it is corrected. Eco mode only gets reset if you actually turn DRN / dynamic contrast mode on (or whatever it was called). BTW, I think DRN mode on my projector is broken anyways, I can see no difference turning it on or off.

After some lamp wear, I think the best picture is obtained by using Standard mode with HIGH color temp (not Medium) and then adjusting the Gain and Saturation of the colors individually. At least this was the easiest for me to do by eye until I do a full calibration with a meter. Although there is likely some variance, so some may prefer Medium. I find Medium has way too strong REDS and YELLOWS however. I think once I went to High temp, then go into the CMS gains, I got Red in darker scenes much more tamed without dulling the RED out too much (which is what happens when I try to tame it in Medium mode), I also had to drop yellow a bit. Remember I am speaking of the color gains not the main RGB Color controls (not the 50/50/50 one).

The color has really improved substantially at 400 hours compared to when it was new, a lot of the color error has faded off the lamp as the lamp has lost a little brightness. The projector loses most brightness between 0 and 250 hours, then it levels off. It is still an absolute light canon after 400 hours on the lamp (brighter than a brand new JVC with a new lamp).

I find these little bugs no big deal to be honest, even without an updated firmware. If I paid $1500 for the projector then I'd consider these bugs to be more annoying but still not a deal breaker, and this projector produces an AMAZING image in this sub $1000 price class. Only the Benq w1100 or Mits hc4000 (not as bright) is a competitor to the image quality in this price range, but this projector has less RBE than either of those. As a matter of fact I have found the RBE on this projector to be less than every other 4x cw DLP, and I am very RBE sensitive. On those other projectors I am not able to play any game on them because of the RBE, on the Viewsonic the RBE doesn't bother me in gaming. I am not sure if this is due to the 7-segment color wheel or because the VS has brighter blacks (less contrast), but as an RBE sensitive person I'll take the brighter blacks over the extra RBE, so for me this Viewsonic is all win-win (price, sharpness, less RBE than competitors). The only projector I can think of that is likely to produce less RBE would cost $800 more (the Optoma hd33 with a 6x wheel), and then of course some other $3000+ ones.

I also own a JVC RS-45 which just arrived a few days ago, I use the JVC for movies and the Viewsonic for TV and games. The Viewsonic is no slouch in movies either though, it just doesn't have the black levels or contrast in darker scenes. This Viewsonic has a slightly sharper picture than the $3000 JVC (as DLP's usually do).

I am still planning on calibrating, it's just this lamp is so incredibly bright and over-powered I figure I'll wait until 500 hours on it, I can see the overly strong reds still fading a bit which is going to help my end calibration.

Any updates? I need to calibrate mine (got it for $699 from amzn) and I'd love to see your end results.

Also, maybe I'm just an idiot, but I can't figure out how to calibrate mine with the settings provided by the projectorreview guys. I understood what to change brightness and contrast to, but the rest of the settings I couldn't comprehend at all.
post #275 of 1090 Old 12-24-2011, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

On my projector, if I choose the Color Temp mode like Medium Temp (50/50/50), it doesn't let me change the values, so what I do is go to User Color Mode.

I don't think either one of the REVIEWER settings were very good to be honest, you need to adjust the individual colors in the CMS, gains, etc... Even without a meter, you'll need to do this most likely because the RED and YELLOW is really too strong at first, but it gets better over time as the lamp ages.

I don't have a new meter yet, when I get a new meter I will post a full calibration.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #276 of 1090 Old 12-27-2011, 01:46 PM

Newegg is selling the Pro8200 for $659.99 after promo code (for their e-mail subscribers).

I'm hoping they will deliver recently manufactured product (as they apparently sold through their stock in late November when it was $699 briefly), and that recent product will have addressed some of the issues noted here - especially since this is exchange-only.
post #277 of 1090 Old 12-27-2011, 03:35 PM

Liked: 13
Thanks for the heads up. I was looking at it at $729 and sure enough an email was sitting in my inbox.

Guess I need to check my mail more often.

I was on the fence, but $659 for 1080p. Hmmm. It makes you wonder what's sitting in the wings.
post #278 of 1090 Old 12-27-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bse53 View Post

I was on the fence, but $659 for 1080p. Hmmm. It makes you wonder what's sitting in the wings.

No doubt more for less, if you wait long enough - although not always: some products seem to have features and quality removed over time.

With CES around the corner, I wouldn't be surprised to see a successor announced - but it probably won't ship immediately, won't be near this price for quite a while, and may have teething pains (or chronic pains?) just like this one.

Wish there was more feedback about the issues here (or lack thereof) from recent purchasers (last month or so). Maybe the silence is a good thing?
post #279 of 1090 Old 12-27-2011, 05:52 PM

Liked: 12
I don't think you're supposed to mention prices on here except in sections where there is a Great Deals Found thread. The main reason is that AVS sells projectors, bur probably not this one. Just a word to the wise.
post #280 of 1090 Old 12-27-2011, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

This is a good projector even if it were $1000, it is so bright and punchy. I am not just saying that, I have seen so many different projectors. It is brighter than almost every projector I have ever seen for a best mode, the color also gets a lot better than I'd ever imagined after you put some wear on the lamp. The red tint in dark scenes becomes pretty much a non-issue and the MID-level / bright color is really good. The image in gaming is superb.

post #281 of 1090 Old 12-27-2011, 06:14 PM

How does the pro8200 compare to the acer H5360? I know the acer is 720p and the pro is 1080p, but I'm hearing that the pro forgets the settings like eco mode for example. I don't want to always set to eco everytime. Is there a fix already?
post #282 of 1090 Old 12-27-2011, 06:15 PM

Liked: 12
So Coderguy, has the losing your settings problems been fixed. You posted a few posts above that you still had this problem. I would love to be able to replace my AE700 for cheap. I've been holding out for a BenQ W6000, which fits my throw distance a lot better than this projector, but for the price, bulb life and warranty I could move this projector closer to the screen. I just don't want to be having to make adjustments every freaking time I turn on the projector.
post #283 of 1090 Old 12-27-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantt View Post

Wish there was more feedback about the issues here (or lack thereof) from recent purchasers (last month or so). Maybe the silence is a good thing?

Mine is 3 weeks old from amzn (699) and I've yet to run into any of the issues many have complained about. I like it a lot and it's quieter than the 720p Viewsonic it replaced.
post #284 of 1090 Old 12-27-2011, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

There is no comparison to a 720p Acer to the Viewsonic except the Acer comes with 3D, the Viewsonic is far superior to the Acer. The Viewsonic is higher in resolution, sharper, has a faster color wheel, more segments on the color wheel, and several other benefits.

Even Art @ pjreviews.com rates this projector very highly against the Benq w1100 and Mits hc4000. The Mits hc4000 does better for movies, but it costs almost double, and in bright scenes the Viewsonic and Mits look very close, practically identical, most people could not tell the difference (even I would have trouble), but the Viewsonic is WAY brighter, almost 3x brighter. You can use this thing with the lights on, and I am not kidding. Yes, I owned the Mits hc3800 and hc4000 DLP, now I own the Viewsonic because I have a $3000 JVC for movies, and use the Viewsonic for everything else. That doesn't mean the Viewsonic looks bad in movies, trust me it doesn't, it does movies just fine. Only if you are trying to get better black levels will you really care.

I have a refurb unit with the oldest firmware, the newer models are much less likely to even have these issues because we know Viewsonic addressed it with an updated firmware. I just didn't get the updated firmware. Even with the color reset bug I really do not care,I just go in and revert the settings back in 5-10 seconds and keep going. Also it doesn't reset my CMS, only my user profile (only 3 values). I leave the projector on almost all day, it has a 6000-hour rated lamp life. I never lose ECO mode unless I am playing around in the menu, but these are such minor issues.

All I care about in this price range for DLP for my use is the following:

Sharpness (Viewsonic and Benq sharper than the Acer)
Resolution (Viewsonic is 1080p, Acer is 720p)
Brightness (1500 Lumens Best Mode, are you kidding me?)
Color (Very punchy, rich dynamic color)
Gaming (no motion issues in gaming, looks smooth)
Movies (great for bright movies, still very bareable in most dark movies too, the intrascene contrast is very good)
Image Processing (not that far behind the Mits hc4000, not quite as clean in noisier sources but definitely better than some projectors, looks perfect in blurays or clean sources)
General Motion (some potential panning issues, but I don't really notice it)
7-Segment Color wheel instead of 6-segment, 4x speed
LESS RBE (due to either the 7-seg color wheel or the slightly worse black levels, but either way I really appreciate the lower RBE in gaming)

I don't see how anyone can fault this projector at this price, I have a $3000 JVC and I still like this projector over the JVC for certain content (especially animated films, gaming, documentaries, TV, Netflix). The JVC of course can look better at times even in that content, but at least I don't burn up my expensive JVC lamps.

People are under-selling this projector because of firmware issues, but for the most part I think most of this was fixed.

Oh and did I mention a 6000-hour LAMP in ECO-MODE that only costs $200 to $250 for a replacement?

The only real fault is black levels, but no projector that can pump out 1500 lumens in a best mode is going to have the best black levels, also a $60 ND filter will help tame the brightness and perceptibly improve black levels. For people that think the RBE is too severe, it is only because they need an ND Filter, this projector is so ridiculously bright, the RBE will be massively tamed when you get the brightness right. Also the Contrast/Brightness settings can be used to take the LUMENS way down instead of an ND filter, it will cost you a little contrast, but not a terrible amount.

post #285 of 1090 Old 12-27-2011, 06:53 PM

Liked: 13
I don't think you're supposed to mention prices on here..."

Thanks for the heads up.

I hope I don't have too many issues with this projector. I bought a Viewsonic 21" CRT Monitor (for $1600 in 1995) and it only lasted three years before it needed repair, and then lasted only another few years after that.

These low end manufacturers have pretty loose QC, I think.

This will be my second projector. The first was a 720p Hitachi LCD purchased in 2005. It was great and I had just put in the second bulb when it succombed to the dreaded blue haze at 3000 hours. That works out to .23 an hour.
post #286 of 1090 Old 12-27-2011, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Well with any cheaper projector you can always have issues, but Viewsonic has been in the projector business a very long time. They make pretty good projectors. It comes with a 3-yr warranty, and we know Viewsonic can be a pain to deal with in the warranty department, but I'm sure you will get it fixed if it breaks, you may just have to wait a while. That said, most cheaper projectors don't even have 2 year warranties, much less 3-year.

I have 500 hours on it and not a single issue other than the menu bugs, which should have been addresses in a firmware update if you are buying new (remember I bought an older refurb model). Sorry to be so wordy, figured it might help people understand what I see in this projector (most positive super-punchy image).

post #287 of 1090 Old 12-27-2011, 06:56 PM

Thanks coderguy for the detailed comparison. I also heard that the setting is not ideal. How hard/easy is it to calibrate the pro? Could you possibly post your settings? I'm coming from an Infocus IN72 and really did not do any mods to the settings. I also recently returned an HC4000 due to poor lumens. It was very dim compared to the Infocus. I don't have a dedicated HT. Looks like the pro will not have any issues with lumens. Thanks again!
post #288 of 1090 Old 12-27-2011, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

If I had a working meter, I would calibrate it. I am debating on getting a new $600 meter, just feeling tapped out a bit.

All I can tell you is the color after 500 hours is about as good as the JVC's OOTB color. At first the RED push will be pretty harsh in dark scenes, but that starts to fade drastically after 100 hours or so, and you can even workaround that issue as well before it fades to some degree.

The biggest hint I can give is that turning down the saturation control in the VIDEO menu helps a lot if you have a major color push but are having trouble getting it right. Also using HIGH color mode instead of Medium, and then going into the CMS and mainly adjusting YELLOW and RED usually helps. Tune it by skin tones.

Overall, can't really complain about the color even though I just did some tweaking and didn't do a full calibration. The reason the color is so far off at first is because the projector is so bright that the lamp has a BIAS to it.

post #289 of 1090 Old 12-27-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

People are under-selling this projector because of firmware issues, but for the most part I think most of this was fixed.

Thanks coderguy for your helpful feedback.

Can we upgrade the firmware at home ?
post #290 of 1090 Old 12-27-2011, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

No, but perhaps others that recently bought from Newegg will weigh in if they have these bugs.

post #291 of 1090 Old 12-27-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet34 View Post

Mine is 3 weeks old from amzn (699) and I've yet to run into any of the issues many have complained about. I like it a lot and it's quieter than the 720p Viewsonic it replaced.

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully Viewsonic has corrected the issues, especially the retention of settings on shutdown - that doesn't seem like rocket science, unless they designed this without NVM.
post #292 of 1090 Old 12-27-2011, 07:38 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowninfocus72 View Post

How does the pro8200 compare to the acer H5360? I know the acer is 720p and the pro is 1080p, but I'm hearing that the pro forgets the settings like eco mode for example. I don't want to always set to eco everytime. Is there a fix already?

If you're comparing a 720p projector with 1080p, you might as well just stick with your 27" magnavox ;P
The user setting resets are quick enough to be done by the time the lamp warms up. It is a crime that they don't allow user firmware upgrades like they do on most of their other models, including the pro8100.
post #293 of 1090 Old 12-27-2011, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Man you guys are so picky about having to press 2 buttons on a remote to reset something.

I have one of the oldest firmwares, my projector does not go out of ECO mode when I first turn it on, only when you change modes back and forth in the menu will the projector lose ECO mode, but that is easily fixed by 2 more button clicks. So let's say you are in the menu, you probably pressed at least 4 buttons, uh oh 2 more clicks, deal-breaker!

Because if you are not changing modes or not in the menu, and do not have DRC (dynamic contrast) enabled, ECO mode will not reset even on the oldest firmware. I also have doubts that these issues even still exist (anything is possible), the Newegg units should have newer firmware now. We are just waiting for some Newegg purchasers to report back.

post #294 of 1090 Old 12-27-2011, 08:38 PM

just about to order...SOLD OUT (Newegg).
post #295 of 1090 Old 12-27-2011, 09:52 PM

right after newegg is sold out, amazon price went back up.

Quote:

If you're comparing a 720p projector with 1080p, you might as well just stick with your 27" magnavox ;P

I'll take a well calibrated 720p like the older mits or infocus, than an over saturated 1080p proj anyday. it is not all about resolution. Also, the projector will be used by everyone in the family not just me, so even an extra button click is a big deal.
post #296 of 1090 Old 12-28-2011, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

There is no extra button click when you first turn the projector on unless you play around in the menu causing there to be one, and even then the newer firmware has addressed this according to others. The trick is getting lucky and buying a projector with the new firmware. The ECO mode and MOST other settings are not lost even in the older firmware when turning the projector on, they are lost when changing modes or doing something else. If any color setting is lost (reset to the 50/50/50 - which it probably will not be on the newer models firmware), it will be very mild and unnoticeable to family or friends, you can change it back later, since the CMS changes are retained (hue/gain/saturation).

The colors are NOT oversaturated, there is an overall saturation adjustment and a 6-point CMS. The Viewsonic's OOTB color with only very minor adjustments is close enough to my $3,000 JVC in most cases to consider the color about equal, but the Viewsonic's color improves after some lamp aging.

post #297 of 1090 Old 12-28-2011, 06:49 AM

Owner of a new VS Pro 8200 - build date November 2011. All previous issues with saving settings have been corrected. My first unit March 2011 needed to be returned to NewEgg due to HDMI handshaking issues but this new unit has been trouble free. I did remove my HDMI switcher and now connect my sources directly to the (2) HDMI ports on the projector. Slight rainbow effect when I actively look for it (shift my eyes quickly) but not noticeable while watching movies. Video games look great on it and the black levels are not that bad.

Note this is a light cannon - during the day viewing and viewing with the lights on is amazing. Unlike other lower power projectors - it looks like a plasma TV with the lights on. You will be amazed if you have issues with controlling for ambient lighting.

Of course this is a sub-$1000 projector. I often find that many people get caught up in the numbers game. I am pleased with the purchase and would do it again.
post #298 of 1090 Old 12-28-2011, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

This projector is absolutely one of the brightest light canons ever made that can still maintain good intrascene contrast anywhere near this price (and even costing much more). That is one thing that makes this projector amazing. I've seen other projectors this bright that lose all their contrast, now the Benq's are also very good at maintaining image quality and contrast in bright modes, but they are still not as bright as this Viewsonic. The reason is because Viewsonic is one of the only Home Theater DLP's to implement an added Yellow segment, which is better than the white segment (fewer side effects to contrast but still increases brightness and even slightly reduces RBE potentially).

The black levels are good for this price range, probably the best in this price range believe it or not (other than a 720p with an IRIS), but few will realize that this projector can do ok blacks until the projector passes 2000 hours on the lamp, because the darn thing is so bright that everyone will think the blacks are awful.

As I said before, get an ND filter and this will greatly improve the image for people dealing with an overly bright image (and that is probably many of us). Even in ECO mode this thing will push around 1000 lumens if you have it mounted near closest throw, that is just way too bright unless you are dealing with ambient light or have a very big screen.

Also the ND filter will greatly reduce the rainbow effect, which one of the main causes is too bright of an image.

post #299 of 1090 Old 12-28-2011, 08:13 AM

coderguy - what ND filter did you use? Make, size, where did you buy it? Thanks.
post #300 of 1090 Old 12-28-2011, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Never ordered one, but you can get them from B&H Audio/Video online, or any camera shop.

You will need to measure the lens, then figure out how to attach it. Since the Viewsonic has ridged edges around the focus, you should be able to attach it somehow, ask the place you call or call a camera store (or look in various threads in the forums about ND filters). It's not as hard as it sounds though, pretty simple.

If I still decide to order an ND filter, I'll post mine here, I don't really need one though for what I use the projector for, but I might buy one later (but I also have 500 hours on the lamp so it's not quite as bright as it used to be, but close).

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page