Viewsonic Pro8200 -- it exists. - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1089 Old 03-16-2012, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Might want to make sure DCR is turned off as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1089 Old 03-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Yeah, and while you are at it, set it to factory default settings.
Also, unplug it for a few minutes, maybe try a different outlet in home.
I'm sure you probably did these type troubleshooting stuff, but , it can't hurt to check everything before sending the unit for repair.
Let us know how viewsonic treats you, ok?
post #543 of 1089 Old 03-19-2012, 05:24 AM

Liked: 10
I just picked up one of these. I do remember reading about issues with it not saving the ECO mode in the settings. I thought I remember reading that this was fixed via a new firmware, is this true?
post #544 of 1089 Old 03-19-2012, 06:39 AM

Darkroom is the only mode that eco on is on by default. The other settings will not retain eco setting.
User 1 and 2 will retain custom cms and color settings even when the projector is reset, but will not retain eco settings.
That's the case on my projector firmware December.
A solution would be for Viewsonic to add the choice of eco setting to the function button.
post #545 of 1089 Old 03-19-2012, 06:49 AM

Ahh ok thanks! I"ll just have to use Darkroom then.
post #546 of 1089 Old 03-19-2012, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Dark room is decent, but the gamma isn't as accurate.
Keep in mind that ECO mode is saved in STD mode when you first turn on the projector, unless you play around in the menu. On my very old firmware, STD mode only loses ECO mode if I change modes then go back (like if I go to user1 then back to STD).

Std mode is what I use most of the time.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #547 of 1089 Old 03-19-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Dark room is decent, but the gamma isn't as accurate.
Keep in mind that ECO mode is saved in STD mode when you first turn on the projector, unless you play around in the menu. On my very old firmware, STD mode only loses ECO mode if I change modes then go back (like if I go to user1 then back to STD).

Std mode is what I use most of the time.

are you saying ECO mode is on by default in STD mode? Or are you saying if i pick STD mode, leave all the settings as is and turn on ECO it should stay?
post #548 of 1089 Old 03-19-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

If you pick it and turn on eco (it is off by default), then it should stay between power on/offs only as long as you don't change modes back and forth. My unit loses the Color settings (not the CMS), but only the RGB colors, but it takes 10 seconds to fix it after turning the PJ on, not an issue IMO.

I am surprised how good the overall image and black levels are on this projector for the price. I rarely see posterization anymore after tweaking. Also the OOTB color is really pretty good once you pass 500-800 hours, a calibration helps some but not a huge amount. The black levels really aren't much worse than the Benq w1200 (a little), and they aren't as good as the Mits hc4000, but they are not that far behind. They are better than the Optoma hd20.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #549 of 1089 Old 03-29-2012, 04:09 PM

There seems to be lots of video noise on this projector on certain scenes. It seems the clearer the picture the more noticeable the noise becomes. Is this normal? I only see it on Netflix however, I don't see it when playing PS3 for example. I will try playing a bluray disc next.
post #550 of 1089 Old 03-29-2012, 04:15 PM

Liked: 11
sounds like the source. streaming is generally junk.
post #551 of 1089 Old 03-31-2012, 08:35 PM

just finished using our pro8200 for the first time(it arrived this morning)

I purposedly had low expectations but, being our first projector we are very satisfide.

blacks look really good(may be that the main LCD TV is like 3-4 years old now) I did notice some Rainbow effect(just me aparently I choose not say anything about it) I tried to ignore it and at first it was dificult but I kind of forgot about it.

I did notice one problem:
near the very bottom part of the screen we can see what it looks like a flickering line(horizontaly) but it actualy is some movement lag from that line to the bottom (about 7 inchs) when the scene has camera movement that part lags a bit as soon as the camera gets steady the problem gets fixed. I think I could live with it actualy will have to live with it because I'm not in the US and I blind buy this PJ so I most likely would speend too much turning it back.

I thought it was an issue with the HDMI cable so I test another one and had the same issue. my source is a ps3 slim and I was watching Game of thrones BD.
post #552 of 1089 Old 03-31-2012, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wichogt View Post

near the very bottom part of the screen we can see what it looks like a flickering line(horizontaly) but it actualy is some movement lag from that line to the bottom (about 7 inchs) when the scene has camera movement that part lags a bit as soon as the camera gets steady the problem gets fixed. I think I could live with it actualy will have to live with it because I'm not in the US and I blind buy this PJ so I most likely would speend too much turning it back.

That is odd it would happen on a bluray, I have never seen anything like this, but it sounds like an issue with the configuration. Turn overscan off and set ASPECT to 16:9 or AUTO (try both). See if either of those helps, also try 60hz vs 24p in the PS 3 output.

post #553 of 1089 Old 04-01-2012, 09:15 AM

I've had that problem with 1080i content, solution was to go to 720p or 1080p if you haven't already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wichogt View Post

I thought it was an issue with the HDMI cable so I test another one and had the same issue. my source is a ps3 slim and I was watching Game of thrones BD.

post #554 of 1089 Old 04-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

wichogt!
Yeah, I would try different sources, use PC and notebook computer or other devices to figure out if it's the source or the PJ itself.
Keep on this forum until you figure it out, lots of really nice guys in this room that are more than happy to help you out.
If you just received it today and it is defective sent it back , where did you buy it? Newegg? Is it New or used? I wouldn't sit on a defective PJ , state the facts and maybe some of us can offer suggestions.
Just stay close to this room until you get it sorted out. Good luck and welcome to the pro8200 room.
post #555 of 1089 Old 04-01-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:

That is odd it would happen on a bluray, I have never seen anything like this, but it sounds like an issue with the configuration. Turn overscan off and set ASPECT to 16:9 or AUTO (try both). See if either of those helps, also try 60hz vs 24p in the PS 3 output.

I think you are right changing the aspect ratio reduced the height of this lagin pixels but I also noticed that it has the auto key stone correction and I currently have the PJ on a shelve at the back of the room aiming a little bit down so I need this function on.

I believe this is the reason why I couldn't get rid of the issue but I could sort of reduce its visibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVenture View Post

I've had that problem with 1080i content, solution was to go to 720p or 1080p if you haven't already.

it's set on 1080p 24 bits

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgtaa View Post

wichogt!
Yeah, I would try different sources, use PC and notebook computer or other devices to figure out if it's the source or the PJ itself.
Keep on this forum until you figure it out, lots of really nice guys in this room that are more than happy to help you out.
If you just received it today and it is defective sent it back , where did you buy it? Newegg? Is it New or used? I wouldn't sit on a defective PJ , state the facts and maybe some of us can offer suggestions.
Just stay close to this room until you get it sorted out. Good luck and welcome to the pro8200 room.

you know I'm looking at a 480i source right now and I don't see the issue, I will keep doing tests.

and no I can't send it back I bought it from amazon US but I live on central america. I just took my chances but I'm very pleased with the purchase.
post #556 of 1089 Old 04-01-2012, 11:41 PM

My pro8200 is also doing a reset of all the settings. Is there any chance to fix this bug myself?

Firmware upgrade or any action that I could do myself.

Than you for your help
post #557 of 1089 Old 04-02-2012, 05:05 AM

Liked: 11
stilobix: no
post #558 of 1089 Old 04-03-2012, 10:40 AM

I reset the PJ to it's factory settings while I was trying to adjust the color settings and the issue I described before disappeared.

I have about 16 hours on the lamp now and I no longer notice the Rainbow effect either, even with the around 129" image I'm getting.

mine is 2.3 firmware and I haven't noticed if it retains the settings but I've only messed with the standard mode.
post #559 of 1089 Old 04-03-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Yah. Viewsonic Pro8200 has least rainbow effect of every projector under $1500, the only other DLP that is slightly better at having less RBE is the $1,500 -- Optoma hd33.

I know because I've owned 3 DLP's and seen more than 10 at various places and I am very RBE sensitive, and the Viewsonic definitely has incredibly low RBE compared to most DLP's, even others with 4x wheels. It's because the color wheel has an extra segment on it, and that extra yellow segment is also why the Viewsonic's best mode is brighter than most other projectors. The extra segment was ingenius if you ask me, TI made the design, I don't know why others don't adapt it.

The Viewsonic was the first DLP I could play dark games with and not be driven crazy by RBE. The Mits hc4000 and Benq w1100 had too much RBE for me as well as many others, so did the older Mits hd1000u.

post #560 of 1089 Old 04-03-2012, 04:55 PM

Hello All:
I've read through this thread over the course of several months as I kept waiting for the price to drop (missed the price drop at Thanksgiving). Anyways, I finally got mine last week and have it mounted on the ceiling. One thing I have noticed is blurring in horizontal panning scenes. I had seen posts by Coderguy mentioning this and suggesting changing the DVD player to output at 24fps. I have it connected to a Panasonic BD-35 Blu-ray player that doesn't let me switch to 24p as the BD-35 doesn't seem to detect that it's connected to a 24p-capable device.

So, is there anything else I can do to reduce the blur ? It's quite distracting and my wife who gets motion sick easily will not be too happy once she sees this. My previous projector (InFocus X1) didn't give me any trouble with panning. FWIW, I was watching a blu-ray DVD of "Blood Diamond".

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated
post #561 of 1089 Old 04-03-2012, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmm, not really much you can do, try a new bluray player. I'm not sure going to 24p is going to help blur much, it will get rid of the judder which might change your perception of the blur. I really have not seen very many projectors have near perfect panning, depends on the movie partly. I wouldn't jump to a conclusion until you have watched more content.

You might be a candidate for frame interpolation from the Benq w1200, but it's a bit more expensive if you decided to return the Viewsonic.

post #562 of 1089 Old 04-04-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exeter View Post

Hello All:
I've read through this thread over the course of several months as I kept waiting for the price to drop (missed the price drop at Thanksgiving). Anyways, I finally got mine last week and have it mounted on the ceiling. One thing I have noticed is blurring in horizontal panning scenes. I had seen posts by Coderguy mentioning this and suggesting changing the DVD player to output at 24fps. I have it connected to a Panasonic BD-35 Blu-ray player that doesn't let me switch to 24p as the BD-35 doesn't seem to detect that it's connected to a 24p-capable device.

So, is there anything else I can do to reduce the blur ? It's quite distracting and my wife who gets motion sick easily will not be too happy once she sees this. My previous projector (InFocus X1) didn't give me any trouble with panning. FWIW, I was watching a blu-ray DVD of "Blood Diamond".

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

This won't help the panning issue, but I set my Panasonic to RGB/60Hz and get a very nice picture.

I remember noticing horizontal panning issues when I first got the projector, and even commented on it, but I don't notice it much anymore. It may vary with the source.

Do you use the projector with HDtv and do you notice it on that source also?
post #563 of 1089 Old 04-04-2012, 09:11 AM

Thanks, Coderguy and Bse53, for your responses. Currently, I only have it
connected to the BD-35. I can try changing the player's setting to RGB/60 like
you have done and try other sources (TivoHD, HTPC, PS3, etc) to see if they
help reduce it.

Cheers
post #564 of 1089 Old 04-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

exeter
Bummer that your first experience wasn't a good one. I use xbox 360 or PC hooked up to PJ and videos look great to me. Yeah, try different sources, if anybody can help you with that stuff, it would be coderguy and bse53.
post #565 of 1089 Old 04-05-2012, 02:40 PM

Well, I tried the following things and nothing seemed to help as yet,

- tried 1080i on the BD-35 Bluray player
- connected a PS3
- on the PS3, I set it to output at 24p and it actually seemed to make the effect worse.
- changed the HDMI cable to use the one shipped with the projector (until now I was using a $4 Meritline HDMI cable)
- reset the projector's settings to Factory default

As a last resort, I'm going to try a different movie to see if maybe that is the issue. I will also try the same movie (Blood Diamond) with my InFocus to see if I experience the same sensation, else, sadly the Pro8200 will have to go back
post #566 of 1089 Old 04-05-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Is this your first projector?

As far as motion blur goes, I would definitely try different movies, but don't go over the return window. Some projectors have Frame Interpolation which to some people can help reduce motion blur (it doesn't actually reduce it, but it changes the way our eyes see it by adding frames)...

Hmm, the Benq w1200 is probably ruled out because of gaming lag (assuming you game). I'm not sure what projector you could try next, maybe an LCD with FI, try to find a refurbished Epson 8500ub or 8700ub maybe, but it might be more than you want to pay. Other than that, I am not sure, the Benq w6000 might have better motion but the $999 sale on it is over I believe at Fry's. So in this price range, there isn't much, the Epson 8350 you could try, but the motion blur might be worse (not sure).

post #567 of 1089 Old 04-06-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:

Is this your first projector?

No, I've been using an InFocus X1 (which is also DLP) happily for the last 9 years. I'm not a gamer. The projector is mainly used for watching movies. As my X1 was 9 years old and only went to 480p, I was looking to upgrade to 1080p. After reading through different projector threads, I narrowed down my choices to either the Pro8200, or, the HC4000. Eventually, I decided on the Pro8200 because it was cheaper, people were reporting good viewing experiences with it and the fact that it had a longer rated bulb with a good feature set for the price. My X1 still works so I can always go back to it

Last night, I tried Ratatouille (Bluray) and it seemed to be a little better than "Blood Diamond". It had a preview for Cars and the picture was amazing. What I'm experiencing is not really panning-related as the camera is still but people/objects that are moving in the foreground aren't moving smoothly and the motion is blurred. I may try the HC4000 next.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
post #568 of 1089 Old 04-06-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

The hc4000 does have slightly better motion for sure and produces a slightly better image for movies (darker blacks), but it isn't as bright. It's about 1/3rd the brightness, so just be aware of that issue.

post #569 of 1089 Old 04-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

gee, what I don't understand about exeter is why he was trying the same movie on the ps3 and not trying all types of different media. It was just so obvious to me , I didn't want to hurt his feelings.
Also, the first thing I would have done if I had problem with that movie on the pro8200 would be to just switch on his old projector and see if he saw the same thing. And then put the movie on hdtv and watch that exact scene to see if it was the movie or not. It just doesn't seem like he understands trouble-shooting.
I guess he moved on.
In my pro8200, some movies I was watching sucked at first, but then I put the exact same movie on my HDTV 42 inch tv and found it had same issue. The picture was just blown more up on the pro8200 so it showed the problem more. Also, for me, I was sitting too close to screen and once I moved back a few feet , everything looked a lot better.

I mean if it was really a problem, many of us would be complaining and PRO reviews would be criticizing this and they didn't.

Maybe he is sensitive to it, I don't know, but changing movies and putting on TV and watching sports and other stuff would either show pro8200 has the motion problem or not, right?
post #570 of 1089 Old 04-06-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I am still overall ecstatic about this projector at this price, and I still own the JVC RS-45. Sometimes I watch the Viewsonic even in movies over the JVC, depends on my mood. In bright scenes or animated content and especially gaming, the Viewsonic really holds its own. A few times I have been tempted to sell the RS-45 and only keep the Viewsonic, but I do like the extra dark blacks for some stuff.

What is really funny is the earlier concerns we all had in thread about the color are just non-existent once you pass 500 hours on the lamp. Also, the STD mode on the Viewsonic holds its contrast at such high brightness and this is not usual for projectors in this price range (so don't take those lumens for granite). We also get Dark Chip 3 instead of DC 2, most of the other 1080p projectors in this price range (except the Mits hc4000) are all Dark Chip 2. Not that it makes much difference, but it helps some. My biggest concern when I bought this projector was the color, and that turned out to be one of its best strengths, very natural color and skin tones.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page