Viewsonic Pro8200 -- it exists. - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1090 Old 01-30-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Ahh, I've never owned an XBOX, try messing with settings on both sides (the PJ and the XBOX) to see if you can find a combination that works and gets rid of that border.
Maybe someone in this forum can tell you the optimal config for an XBOX to Viewsonic.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1090 Old 01-30-2013, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaoscat View Post

I'm only connecting my Xbox to the projector.

Ok, sorry I got to ask you, are you using a A/V receiver? Yes or No

Sometimes people don't tell us everything, because they don't think it's important.

I have viewsonic pro8200 and xbox 360 ... going from 360 straight into back of pro8200 via hdmi cable that came with the pro8200. smile.gif Now, I do see not exactly a boarder but, when auto keystone kicks in, I get a good excellent picture and around the outside, like a boarder, but , that's normal.

Now if it is solid black 1 inch boarder, I don't think I get that, just extra space around picture, and it doesn't bother me either, like you. Now, you could do factory reset on the pro8200 and see if that fixes it. It's hard to know what you are describing, could you take photo or video of it. But if it doesn't bother you, and Coderguy said he did run into that problem and sort of forgot how he fixed it and offered his best shot at it, sounds like maybe some setting somewhere fixes it. Trial and Error. And post what you did to fix it, so it helps others.

I know when I first got my pro8200 , I didn't know what to expect. I was disappointed at first, but then as I relaxed and used it a couple of days, and read the forum room and got ideas on setup, I liked it a lot. There are 33 pages of people posting, mostly when they first got it, and didn't know how to set it up right, with xbox, blu ray player, a/v receiver, etc. So lots of tips. Maybe someone else in the thread had that problem,and posted something.
Coderguy and BSE53 have very good troubling shooting skills, and Coderguy did try to help you, maybe BSE53 will show up and give his 2 cents, too. smile.gif
post #993 of 1090 Old 01-31-2013, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

First, thanks so much for the people contributing to this forum. It helped me tremendously when making my decision. And, it stopped me from having a total panic attack when my wife and I were watching Immortal the other night and the dark scenes were literally un-watchable. I knew there was a "fix" for this and have since used the tricks and calibration adjustments recommended here. Dark scenes improved greatly. No, it's not movie theater quality, but I wasn't expecting that for $800 either. My questions are :

Audio
1. Currently I'm using the 1/8" audio out jack to a set of computer speakers. My only input is HDMI from my Xbox. I get multiple pops every time the projector starts up. I was aware of an issue with one pop, but this is 3 or 4. Is this just normal for this unit?

2. The audio map for this thing is very confusing. I want to hook the sound up to my stereo. Are the red/white audio jacks ins or outs? Is the only/best way to handle audio through the 1/8 audio out jack?

Video
1. On very dark scenes, I can see a dim 1" dark border all the way around the image. It doesn't bother me, but what is it?

2. The calibration adjustments I saw here had the mode set to Standard, and the adjustments seemed to be made within that mode. I changed the mode User 1 and made my adjustments there. Does it make any difference?

I have mine temporarily setup with a Blu-Ray player and a set of computer speakers. I encounter several "pops" as well - I just keep the speakers turned off for a few minutes while the projector and Blu-Ray player get in sync.
post #994 of 1090 Old 01-31-2013, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Lots of times with different equipment as it starts , I get those popping sounds on my PC speakers, as it interacts with the audio sound card in pc. Many times I just use the pro8200 internal speakers and no pops, but if I add external powered speakers, I get the pops if I'm loading pc or other stuff. I guess it's a normal thing for me and don't think anything of it.
Also, yeah I do see a boarder around the main picture, perfectly normal, if it's perfectly around your image, that you must not be using keystone correction, I get different shape if I am using keystone correction, on the outside, but the main picture looks perfect. So it would seem your PJ is normal. I was using my pa70g the last few days, and started up my pro8200 and it was very cool, very nice bright picture, and I looked for the boarder, and FOCUSED on it, usually I only focus on the main picture. smile.gif
post #995 of 1090 Old 02-01-2013, 12:23 PM

Thanks. It's comforting to know the things I'm experiencing are normal for this unit. I'm really enjoying this projector, even though I haven't sent in for my $74 "free screen" yet and am just showing it on a white wall. I wanted to wait until I got the PJ, saw the image sizes I was getting and what I would be comfortable with before I sent in my rebate stuff to get the screen.
post #996 of 1090 Old 02-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks. It's comforting to know the things I'm experiencing are normal for this unit. I'm really enjoying this projector, even though I haven't sent in for my $74 "free screen" yet and am just showing it on a white wall. I wanted to wait until I got the PJ, saw the image sizes I was getting and what I would be comfortable with before I sent in my rebate stuff to get the screen.

Don't do it! I mean get the 74 dollar "free screen! It's a scam.
Also, maybe hold off registering it, if you have no problems, because if you sell it, you can always sell it with the warranty still intact, since it doesn't have your name on it. Think about it.
Look on amazon at the top 100 screens , to get idea of what others are using, and read the user reviews.
Maybe ask this room what screen they like.
But I don't think any of us got the 72 dollar "freebie"! Or they might be too embarrassed to say they did, if they did. smile.gif
Good idea about seeing what screen size works for you, but the screen will improve the image a whole bunch. smile.gif
Sometimes good sales on them.
I have favi screen about 100 inch widescreen screen (80x80) which I got for 40 dollars with tripod a year ago on sale, and that included shipping. smile.gif
I also bought a epson dual 80 inch for 79 dollars used from B&H. Both my screens came with tripods but can also be wall mounted. I like flexibility.
Others might share the screens they like too, or look through the thread for ideas.
post #997 of 1090 Old 02-03-2013, 12:09 AM

I got my screen from amazon, with prime shipping it was a cheap... 92" (actually too big for my apartment and it was $85?) the edges curl a bit, but the screen surface has been reasonably flat. and for my apartment, being hung from a closet pole (so I can not drill holes in my popcorn ceiling, and go in front of my HDTV) it works great. It's a Mustang SC-M92D16:9

I do have a question though. I am very new to this and I am trying to calibrate the PJ using the AVS 709 disk and a set of THX blue glasses... I dont have a tone and hue... I have individual color setting for red, green, blue, yellow, cyan, magenta... each with three setting, saturation, hue, and (another I dont remember)

My question is, What are these supposed to be set to? no previous calibrations mention the settings for each of the colors, and the THX glasses are designed to only do the all encompassing saturation and hue... not each color.

EDIT: Never mind, I found BSEs settings burried in the comments of his post #6 Here
post #998 of 1090 Old 02-03-2013, 02:06 PM

Liked: 13
You don't need colored glasses with this PJ. It has an option in the menu to only show one color and is much more accurate than using glasses.
post #999 of 1090 Old 02-04-2013, 01:24 AM

I have checked the manual and checked the settings on the PJ... I dont see where this is possible. the test patterns only show one solid color, they do not limit the video to one color like the video on the 709 disk shows.

unless I am mistaken?
post #1000 of 1090 Old 02-11-2013, 09:45 PM

I just picked up my pro8200 from a local retailer a few days ago and I am LOVING it. I actually picked up an Epson 710HD at the same time to see if I could try and save a few bucks but man does the 1080p really shine... Even on my HD cable feed it beats out the 710HD. Nowhere online could I find a comparison of the two (too far apart in manufacturing release dates and 720p to 1080p projector blah blah)... The one and only thing I am truly disappointed in is the size of the projector. It's not very discrete. The 710HD is way prettier and would be more discrete in mounting. But once I get the picture on and watching some good stuff that all goes away smile.gif

I've got a couple questions for you pro8200 owners.

1) I use a Toshiba XDE-600 upconverting DVD player. When I play normal old DVDs I get a nasty screen jitter. Almost makes me dizzy. Watching the text at the intro of Pulp Fiction was nearly unbearable. It upconverts to 1080p/24p. This doesn't happen when I play blurays through my PC drive. Any advice?

2) What are your guys' build dates and where did you buy them from. I was thinking about returning mine (no restocking fee) and grabbing one off Amazon with a newer build date and possibly newer firmware (and save $65). My build date is June 2012 and I've been reading some people have November 2012. Also does anyone know what the latest firmware version is and how I can check? I didn't see an option in the menu...

3) I can't tell if it's a fan whine or a spindle whine, but sometimes I get a high pitched (very audible) whine out of one of the two. I haven't found anything good enough to safely stick in and (very momentarily) stop the fan to see if that's the issue yet. Yeah yeah, you don't have to tell me, probably not the best idea but I want to see what the issue is. Does anyone else have this issue?

4) What settings other than gamma can I change to reduce the rainbow effect. My wife is english second language so sometimes she asks me to put on subtitles. The black background on white text is hella rainbow and I'm not sure if it's making me dizzy or not. Have to keep watching movies and stuff over the next few days.

5) Whats this 74" free screen I read about? And that it's a gimmick? How so? Someone fill me in! I wouldn't want it anyways. I got a projector to cast about a 100" screen but I am always curious for anything free...

6) With this projectors offset in projecting high (or low from ceiling mount) I am a little worried about how I am going to mount this in my next apartment come July. Right now I have the PJ in a 25x25 x15' high room sitting on a mantle and it casts HIGH. I feel like my only option available is to get a wall mount up higher on a 8' wall to project a ~100" screen at 10-12 feet. Does that sound feasible with this projector? I've checked out the calculator pro with throw distances but I won't believe it until someone tells me it will work, or if I try it myself. I refuse to ceiling mount in apartments due to running wires/possibility of a ceiling fan being in the way a little, and it not being permanent.

And as far as Xbox goes, I too have the little tiny "Xbox menu gray" border. It doesn't bother me at all. I also plan to put up a velvet border soon and even if the border doesn't cast onto the velvet, it will most likely be very difficult to see it.
post #1001 of 1090 Old 02-11-2013, 09:48 PM

Also could anyone recommend and inexpensive HDMI cable they have used on this projector? I have a $7 25' from newegg that has been flawless until I bought a projector. It doesn't like it. The 710HD I would have to put at an upward angle and pressure on it for it to work in the HDMI slot, and when the pro8200 first starts up I get crazy rainbows, or static not centered and not the size of the screen. I need 25'

I saw these specific two on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-Speed-Ethernet-Supports-Return/dp/B003XM73P2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360644505&sr=8-2&keywords=25+hdmi

http://www.amazon.com/Aurum-Ultra-Series-Ethernet-Certified/dp/B005EZTUMU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1360644505&sr=8-3&keywords=25+hdmi
post #1002 of 1090 Old 02-12-2013, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

martusar
Glad you joined us today. Have fun reading the last 2 or 3 months of posts in this room, to get you up to speed on the pro8200. It should answer a number of your questions and is not many posts. Most people when they get the pro8200 have questions like you, so you can read the suggestions we gave to others. Now if you don't find an answer to something after reading the posts, feel welcome to post whatever you like.
You can still post whatever you like , even if you don't read the last 2-3 months posts, but, if we know you did, then we don't have repeat ourselves over and over and over again. After a few months with your pro8200, you will be an old timer helping the new guy that just got it.
I would think your build date is fine, we had problems with firmware a few years ago, so from nov 2011 to now, not much as changed in firmware, others can correct me, but when pro8200 first came out, it did have firmware bugs.
As to hdmi cable, get something on amazon that got many 4 or 5 star reviews, and maybe read some of the user reviews, you just want something that majority don't have problems with.
Now if the unit is brand new, most of us hear some noises coming from unit the first few days, then it goes away. We are not sure if it's the packaging gel or something else, like you I came to room and asked about it, and the guys calmed me down. Not sure if what you hear is the same, but if you read the last 2 or 3 months of posts, you will see the experience of other new people. You can read about mine over a year ago, but you don't need to go that far back in posts.
Lots of good suggestions in this thread, and check out calibration thread.
Let's see what the other guys have to say. Have fun with your pro8200.
post #1003 of 1090 Old 02-13-2013, 12:55 AM

1, No idea, but the 24fps is usually at a lower refresh rate and the color wheel spins at a slower speed (I THINK??) just play the DVD through a blueray player? I have had some serious issues with color space and older bluray players, I had to buy a new one to get any detail in shadows.

2. as long as your buttons glow a solid blue (on the remote) you should have the updated firmware, the previous remote and firmware (they were changed at the same time) were crap.

3. Its common to get the high pitched whine (I had to tap mine to get it to go away, but temporarily) it should go away in under and hour of run time... but it does go away.

4. RBE is an issue with all DLP projectors, this one is slightly better then some, but the higher end projectors have a 6x color wheel where this one has a 4x.. I have noticed more RBE when the source signal drops down to a 480P source, I have not yet played a DVD through my bluray player to test my theory, but my cable box SD channels have slightly worse RBE.

5. NO idea, there may have been a promotion at one point? I got a 92" screen at amazon for a decent price, it's still too big for my apartment.

6. the offset is a bit much on this PJ, but my picture height is perfect, and the offset DOES NOT change with zoom. I rigged up a ceiling mount (8' ceilings) with a set of shelf brackets and a white shelf from home depot, then a $12 mount from mono price, I did not want to drill into my very fashionable popcorn ceilings at my apartment, and this works great for the room I am in. I run my wires from the ground, up around the mount and then to the input, I also use a cable organizer to help stop any cable strain that might happen... it's ugly, but it works! and when I move I only have to spackle a few holes (I found the studs to drill into)

Xbox: I dont know what you mean about the xbox, I have my 360 slim hooked up to mine and its great, racing games are amazing.

Cables: I am a HUGE fan of monoprice.com I bought one of their 22awg 25ft cables and it was too short and hard to work with, I ended up swapping it out with a 30' redmere cable and it works a lot better! the cable is much much thinner and easier to deal with and I dont have sparkles anymore (which was not totally the fault of the first one, I had an extender on it)

I second the recommendation to read the last few pages of this thread, I learned a lot, and then calibrated it, which looks much better to me.
post #1004 of 1090 Old 02-15-2013, 11:15 PM

I just had (what I like to think) is a genius idea. I have never seen this set up in all my researching. I am very new to projectors so anyone feel free to give me their two cents and tell me please if this is an awful idea.

For mounting my pro8200 I found this (a 16" deep version). I plan on keeping my sources next to my projector because I am sick of buying and returning crap 30'+ HDMI cables. I am going to stick with my flawless $2 6 footers and run a 3.5mm audio cable to my soundbar up front.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_82690-315-FG3H91LOWHT_0__?productId=3233492&Ntt=rubbermaid+shelf&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Drubbermaid%2Bshelf&facetInfo=

Sources can sit on top, projector hang from the bottom. I will purchase large washers for for the bolts in order to mount the projector through the wire shelving. This will enable me to shift the projector left and right and get a perfect alignment (I can even buy a number of thick washers for tilt and keystoning). The shelves are also height adjustable with the brackets mounted on the wall.

The only thing is that I will have to stop by my local lowes or home depot to make sure that the mounting brackets have a sufficient amount of places to bolt in to the wall as well as an appropriate weight maximum.
post #1005 of 1090 Old 02-15-2013, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Looks like it would work to me. Why not set the PJ on the top shelf tho?

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #1006 of 1090 Old 02-16-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

Looks like it would work to me. Why not set the PJ on the top shelf tho?

I see your a pro8100 fan. The Pro8200 is DLP, 12' throw is like a 15" offset up from the lens. It would project onto the ceiling unless you wanna hardcore tilt it down and keystone it. Must be hung upside down if you have a 8' ceiling unless you wanted to place the project on the floor mad.gif
post #1007 of 1090 Old 02-16-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Is that because it's DLP or due to the lens system? I used to have a ViewSonic CINE1000 DLP and mounted it upside down on the ceiling about 12" down from top of screen mainly to project under the beam between it and the screen.

post #1008 of 1090 Old 02-17-2013, 11:34 AM

DLP. Some have a higher offset more than others, not sure why.
post #1009 of 1090 Old 02-17-2013, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I did not know that. Thanks for the info.

post #1010 of 1090 Old 02-23-2013, 05:52 PM

Buying this from newegg.com tomorrow. Comes with a free $50 gift card. My question is did anybody order a ceiling mount from them? Looking to spend the gift card on a mount.
post #1011 of 1090 Old 02-24-2013, 06:42 AM

Liked: 11
With a 16" offset, that means I could put this on the shelf under my coffee table which is only 6 inches and the picture would be almost 2feet perfectly off the floor? That is almost exactly what I need due to only having 79 inch celings
post #1012 of 1090 Old 02-25-2013, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Just got a price alert from newegg.ca. The ViewSonic PRO8200 has just broken below the $800 mark in Canada for the first time I can remember. That sounded thrilling until I went to check the price on newegg.com. It's US$729.99. Even accounting for the slight difference in the exchange rate, the egg people are fleecing Canadians again, sadly.
post #1013 of 1090 Old 02-25-2013, 09:26 PM

Just purchased this projector last week and so far am loving it. Was wondering if there are any issues with the projector working with an HDMI switch. Right now I have my cable box hooked up via HDMI but would like to add my PS3, Xbox 360, and a WDTV. Got an Accell 5x1 HDMI switch on the way from Amazon and just want to make sure there will be no issues.

Thanks.
post #1014 of 1090 Old 02-26-2013, 12:03 PM

You should be fine with that switch. I bought this "HDMI 5x1 5 Port Switch/Switcher with IR Remote Support 3D" off Amazon and it worked flawlessly when I had this PJ (I returned it this past Saturday mad.gif).
post #1015 of 1090 Old 03-14-2013, 01:52 PM

Any recommendations on a ceiling mount? I have 7 foot ceilings, and I plan to put the projector 11 feet away from the wall...will that work for a 110~ screen?
post #1016 of 1090 Old 03-14-2013, 02:05 PM

At 11' from the lens to screen, on max zoom, you could get 109" diagonal 16:9. Also, with a very low profile mount (I built my own to minimize the drop) you are still going to end up with almost an additional 8" of drop, besides the 18" offset. Therefore with zero keystone you will have 26" from the ceiling to top of image. A 109" diagonal translates to 54" vertical height--add your 26" clearance above and you have 80" of height. A 7' wall equals 84" inches, so the bottom of the screen would be 4" from the floor. Personally, I can live with a few notches of keystone and angle the projector upwards--it is up to you if that is acceptable or not.

Would 11' be the viewing distance as well? Recommended viewing distance for 109" is 11'-17.5'. At one time I had a 104" I viewed from 11' and some movies made me a little dizzy--YMMV
post #1017 of 1090 Old 03-14-2013, 02:14 PM

I'm looking for a good price $719 is the best as of today.

Anyone see it lower?
post #1018 of 1090 Old 03-14-2013, 02:50 PM

Thanks mpotka, I made another thread about specifics on placement actually ... I just wanted to make sure I could even ceiling mount it at this distance.
post #1019 of 1090 Old 03-19-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo2012 View Post

I'm looking for a good price $719 is the best as of today.

Anyone see it lower?
Nope.

1. You can check deal sites (slickdeals.N E T) and set up an alert for keywords.

2. Also, you can find the online stores you want to buy from, and set up a page monitor (add-on) for your browser (I use GOOGLE CHROME) when the page changes for that site (description, ads, price, in-stock, etc.). Not too specific.

3. You can use camelcamelcamel to monitor Amazon.

4. You can check here on occasion as people post prices/deals. I think there is a sticky.

The best of these is #1 and #4 as they're more accurate. I use #1 for many things, and always get in on deals that way.
post #1020 of 1090 Old 04-30-2013, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Recently hit the 3,000 hour mark on the lamp. Although the initial blazing brightness has dimmed somewhat, it's still plenty plenty bright. On a sunny day with all the curtains open, I now sometimes switch ECO off when I'm watching something shot in dark tones, like Vikings, but otherwise even on ECO mode for everything else, including using my HTPC as my main computer, I'm still quite happy.

Only glitch I've noticed so far is that occasionally there's a slight flickering in the top right quadrant of the screen. Briefly toggling ECO clears it up.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page