Viewsonic Pro8200 -- it exists. - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1089 Old 06-25-2011, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
if they can do it, I don't see how we can't. there must be some way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1089 Old 06-25-2011, 09:49 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlashQuit View Post

I still haven't found any firmware version info in any of the menu sections.

Green mode on = solid blue light after shutdown.
Green mode off = blinky blue light after shutdown.

I am still finding that changing some options will toggle others, that don't make sense.
Example - my wife turned close captioning on, and this seemed to turn green mode off.
(I then found the blue light blinking at me in the morning.)

I have a feeling that my "mute resets to off" might be related to green or eco mode being on. I eventually ended up setting volume to 0. I'm glad to report that all other settings appear to stick.

On the Pro8100, you press menu then press left arrow. In the information box, it just shows a number. In my case it shows 2.50.
post #183 of 1089 Old 06-25-2011, 11:00 AM

it's totally different on the 8200. the instructions are posted a couple times earlier in the thread. you have to go into the engineering mode.
post #184 of 1089 Old 06-26-2011, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
OK, was looking at this unit and read the whole thread. Looks like a POS to me from a performance and factory support standpoint. Free screens do nothing when the unit is flakey. The support for this unit seems lackluster despite a 3 year warranty. What good is a warranty if the original product never works right? Get another flakey unit as a replacement?
post #185 of 1089 Old 06-26-2011, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

OK, was looking at this unit and read the whole thread. Looks like a POS to me from a performance and factory support standpoint. Free screens do nothing when the unit is flakey. The support for this unit seems lackluster despite a 3 year warranty. What good is a warranty if the original product never works right? Get another flakey unit as a replacement?

And that seems to be the problem w/ ViewSonic HT PJs. The few of us that got one that works out of the box or did an exchange and got a good one (refurb or new) love them. The rest will probably never buy anything w/ the ViewSonic name on it.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #186 of 1089 Old 06-26-2011, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

And that seems to be the problem w/ ViewSonic HT PJs. The few of us that got one that works out of the box or did an exchange and got a good one (refurb or new) love them. The rest will probably never buy anything w/ the ViewSonic name on it.

Well, I can see new products having an issue or two. A lot of times forums will be full of comments from folks looking to fix their problems. Few people keep posting back how great their unit is working. As an example look at the Sharp 1700 thread. One or two issues with it and other than that questions about the product.

The problem with this unit seems to be the lack of support from ViewSonic and the inability to user update the firmware. My biggest issue is ownership. ViewSonic has had ample time to address the problems and admit it. Seems they are still shipping units that they know ought to have the firmware updated hoping that they will get lucky. That is just wrong. They need to recognize the black eye and stop shipment of all these units until they are fixed rather than passing off the problem to consumers and then making them go through the RMA process or exchange for a unit they know in all likelihood is faulty. And then, to top this off they send out a replacement unit that has the same problems.

Pretty sad because I was interested in this product for the great price it has.
post #187 of 1089 Old 06-26-2011, 05:58 PM

getting back to the firmware update issue, there is some info here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=17989794
basically it says that the pixelworks flash update program included with the 8200 firmware files requires a certain hex file to run, but it's impossible to get that file from the device itself. you can see this by running the updater program and choosing "create binary" in the bottom left. it will give multiple errors about a hex file. I imagine the file the program produces is the .img file that the 8200 needs to upgrade.
post #188 of 1089 Old 06-29-2011, 09:31 AM

I have gotten my concern "escalated" (for whatever that's worth). They sent an email asking me why I wanted new firmware (interesting, I've never had to prove that need to the companies that make my blu-ray player, motherboard, blu-ray disc drive, digital camera, television or cell phone.) This is my response, and below is theirs.

The main issue I have is the HDMI connections. I can not get the
projector to display 1080P over HDMI without constant connection
losses (goes back to the white viewsonic screen) and artifact. I have
used 4 HDMI cables and two sources (OC and blu-ray player). 1080P
works fine over VGA, but HDMI would be easier for me to use, and
regardless, it should work. I noticed in one of the reviews of the
Pro8200, it mentioned the same problem, but that they received a unit
with newer firmware that took care of the problem (mostly). More
information can be found here:
http://www.projectorreviews.com/view...o8200/tour.php
I also have issues with it constantly forgetting settings such as
microphone mute, eco mode, quick power on, quick power off, etc.
I currently have zip files of firmware versions 1.19, 2.10, 2.11, 2.13
and, most recently, 2.14. Unfortunately I can't get the pixelworks
flash upgrader to work to create the image file since I don't have the
proper hex file. I even bought a USB A/A cable to see if the computer
would recognize it, without success.
Furthermore, I also have some documentation noting improvements in
newer firmware, which I may or may not benefit from, but part of it
talks about improved color representation which would be an obvious
benefit.
User upgradeable firmware has become the industry standard, not only
in projectors (many viewsonic projectors have user upgradeable
firmware, the pro8100 included), but also in TV's, computers, cell
phones, blu-ray players and many other consumer electronics. It
carries a risk certainly, but the risk should be up to the user,
balanced against improvements gained.
I hope Viewsonic is not starting down the road of eliminating user
upgradeable firmware (or denying customer access to it), as many audio
and videophiles who haven't already left the viewsonic brand for the
poor performance of the pro8200 (more information here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1298652 ), will start
now. As you can see in that thread, there are several users
complaining about the flakiness of the device and desperate for new
firmware.
Continually updating and posting new firmware also demonstrates a
commitment from the company to the consumer that they are standing
behind their product and continuing to tweak it in a positive manner,
until that product's end of life comes around.
In summary, user upgradeable firmware is now a widely used and
accepted standard that power users will always be looking for and
expecting from any company who produces consumer electronics, as we
all know that nothing is perfect, and firmware updates show the
company is always perfecting and improving their product line.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for the details you provided. I will forward all your concerns for the projector to the proper department. Please allow our research department within the next 24-48 business hours to check on this and reply to you for any update.

If you have other technical concern, feel free to contact us again. For future reference, you can use this case number --- in contacting us again. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to assist you and for supporting ViewSonic.
post #189 of 1089 Old 06-29-2011, 02:48 PM

Liked: 10
reebok - thanks for the update! I'll be watching for any new info you obtain!

I have to agree with some of the other comments. A fancy warranty (and we obtained the extended, and extended express) is useless if the replacement models have the same issue (or worse). Things would be much easier and cheaper (for ViewSonic too) to allow the user to update the firmware themselves.

I have very little interest in unbolting this thing from my ceiling and waiting for a replacement if I'm likely to receive the same firmware with the same issues.
post #190 of 1089 Old 06-29-2011, 02:51 PM

Sorry to disappoint you, but I just received a response. If viewsonic is anything, they are very consistent. Their answer to everything is "send it back"

----------------------------------
Thank you for contacting ViewSonic E-Mail Technical Support.

I got an update and we need to have your unit send for repair so we can check all the issues you in the projector. Let me know if you want to proceed.
post #191 of 1089 Old 06-29-2011, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Too bad English wasn't the responder's first language.

post #192 of 1089 Old 06-30-2011, 10:13 PM

My 1st year express exchange warranty will most likely be over before they manage to correct any issues.
This is simply the most unreliable/inconsistent display I've ever owned.

Ironically, when I bought my unit almost no info about the 8200 was available on the net (apart from tech specs). That big 3 year warranty and USB port for upgrades led me to believe I had everything covered.

Unfortunately I was mistaken. The only reason I'm keeping the unit is because it was a direct replacement to my older PJ (lasted 10 years BTW and without a hiccup until the LCD polarizing filters failed) - required no mods, correct throw, high brightness, etc.

I'm very disappointed with the lack of support. Hopefully people considering this PJ will come across this thread and make an informed buying decision.
post #193 of 1089 Old 07-01-2011, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

It's a shame that VS didn't learn from their Pro8100 experience. Been following the Mits and Panny threads and in most cases, their problems were taken care of. A lot better CS for those mfgs.

post #194 of 1089 Old 07-01-2011, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, one of the supposed best warranties and no love. Let's see, VS says there is no problem, then send in for an update. Hmmm. Epson says hey you are not happy with the PJ, we'll send you a new one. I guess you don't need to be the brightest consumer to decide which unit is backed better. Thanks to this site I scratched this unit off of my list. Also, this unit made the top 10 on the Projector Central shootout, guess one must be careful about what one reads though there were warnings if one searched.
post #195 of 1089 Old 07-01-2011, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Wonder if VS treats their business PJ customers as poorly?

post #196 of 1089 Old 07-03-2011, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Just wanted to throw out there that the total lack of support from VS has caused me to buy an Epson unit. Good luck VS and unfortunate owners. I hope things change but I did not wait for VS to step up. They had their chance. Yeah, great warranty. Worth nothing in my book.
post #197 of 1089 Old 07-04-2011, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Send you a new epson-lol, you get a "refurb"in "most cases" (read your extra care warranty)unless they are out of refurbs...epsons never outa refurbs......cause you are the Quality control....

(fifth element)
post #198 of 1089 Old 07-04-2011, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

Just wanted to throw out there that the total lack of support from VS has caused me to buy an Epson unit. Good luck VS and unfortunate owners. I hope things change but I did not wait for VS to step up. They had their chance. Yeah, great warranty. Worth nothing in my book.

Hope you read the Epson thread (I haven't) to see what the feeling is over there.

post #199 of 1089 Old 07-05-2011, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Some of you may take issue with Art's kind remarks about ViewSonic.

post #200 of 1089 Old 07-05-2011, 02:47 PM

I've gone through his review several times. what it boils down to as I see it is "we will be happy to upgrade the firmware". I have the same problem he lists in his review that he says was corrected with firmware. and they won't let us update it! argh!
post #201 of 1089 Old 07-05-2011, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Like Art said tho, the Pro8200 is a cross-over PJ. But still it should work as advertised.

post #202 of 1089 Old 07-05-2011, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat View Post

Send you a new epson-lol, you get a "refurb"in "most cases" (read your extra care warranty)unless they are out of refurbs...epsons never outa refurbs......cause you are the Quality control....

That may be, but I have run my Epson through some convergence tests and even the AVS calibration disk just to check it out, too early to calibrate and I am still looking for a screen. So far so good and I am a DLP fanboy. My biggest fear now is the dust blobs because my man cave has heavy travel, smoking, dog lives there, it is a converted basement garage that everyone walks through to get into and out of the house etc etc.

I wanted the VS, but it was not available locally (read take it back and exchange) and I did not get a good feeling about a known issue posted in reviews and also by members here. There are about 3 guys on the Epson thread that have issues with the 8350, yes more than that but 3 main detractors. For the amount of those units sold that is pretty good. If I were guessing I would say the 8350 has sold more than 10 to 1 units compared to the VS unit. I think only the Optoma HD20 has possibly outsold the 8350. So out of the thousands of 8350s sold if there is 20 folks who have issues that is pretty good in the electronics industry if you ask me. Folks don't log in regularly to say how good their unit is working so think that over.

I am not here to bash the Viewsonic. I was here to learn about it and now I am telling you what I know about the Epson 8350 which so far I am very happy with. Yes, it could fail and I may get a refurbished unit, but I will get it the next day as opposed to sending in and waiting. That is the advantage of a unit that has a high volume of sales and good company support, not just a good warranty on paper, but in practice.

Summary: PJCentral has their top 10 under $1500 PJ review posted. The 8200 made that cut though I am not sure what else is out there that was not in the cut. Owner posts right here convinced me that I did not want to be quality control for this unit and I got an Epson. It is that simple for me and I am sure others will be doing some of the same research. Then they will have to make a decision. It would be nice if Viewsonic fixed the issues with the 8200 because it looks like a great unit that has all the features I wanted except the problems. BTW, the lens shift options on the Epson clobbers all DLP units in this price range hands down. If you have placement issues, this could be a deal killer for you on a DLP unit.
post #203 of 1089 Old 07-06-2011, 01:44 AM
AVS Special Member

epson has admitted to bulb problems-to the point it extended the bulb warranty-

from the 8350 thread
Quote:
Come on, guys, do not try to scare everybody that these projectors are piece of crap, IMHO you are just too nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Good 'ol Epson.

So let's give Epson it's due propers on the issue, and encourage people to not worry...just enjoy and expect a great viewing experience. And live /breathe easier knowing they will not have to spend any extra cash for a replacement Bulb during the life of the original Mfg's Warranty.

some are on their 4th bulb and the warranty will soon be up-nope epsons problems are all over these threads and many have stated just how they feel cheerleading aside...

(fifth element)
post #204 of 1089 Old 07-06-2011, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat View Post

epson has admitted to bulb problems-to the point it extended the bulb warranty-

from the 8350 thread

some are on their 4th bulb and the warranty will soon be up-nope epsons problems are all over these threads and many have stated just how they feel cheerleading aside...

That is another way to look at it. One can look at these things from any angle they choose. I did and made my decision. I will have to live with it. I wish 8200 owners good fortune with their units as they too have to live with it. I do not have a problem with Epson sending me a new bulb for two years if needed. Better than saying you are out of the 90 day period so sucks to be you.

Edit: Oh, and sorry to 8200 owners and potential buyers for the sidetrack. I hope that VS sorts out the issues for you.
post #205 of 1089 Old 07-12-2011, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Viewsonic is worthless. They have provided no support, multiple units with the same buggy firmware and ZERO actual correspondence or concern with the issues.

In addition, the ftp site in this thread showed that there are SEVERAL firmware revisions that Viewsonic has, going from the 1.0 crap we've got in the units to 2.+ stuff that in the notes fix a lot of the issues. However, Viewsonic shows absolutely no concern in actually addressing the issues to the consumer.

I wish I could edit the title of this thread to "Viewsonic Pro8200 -- it exists."
post #206 of 1089 Old 07-12-2011, 11:47 AM

Hello

I want to purchase an inexpensive DLP 1080p projector.
And I ran into a dilemma optoma hd20 or pro8200.
Price is too tempting pro8200 ....

I do not speak English, and do not understand:
1 "we did notice juddering which wasn't simply caused by their 24fps frame rate. Essentially, if you want to watch fast-moving sports, this isn't the ideal choice"
pro8200 displays 1080p/60 as 1080p/24 (or no interpolation 1080p/24)?

2 New firmware fixed the problem with storing user preferences?

3 If I buy it (say at amazon / J & R or somewhere else) probably come across a bad firmware? If so, where to find instructions for the firmware and new firmware?

4 And a question for those who saw the hd20 and pro8200, that you recommend to buy?

I would be grateful for the answer At least for 1 and 2 question.
post #207 of 1089 Old 07-13-2011, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Zusul, I am not an 8200 owner, but I considered buying the unit. As for your question #2, that has been a problem from day one with the unit and it appears that it has not been solved. All PJs have a problem here and there. This one seems to just have problems and nothing but the sound of crickets on warranty support. This answers question 3 too.

I know you said your English was not very good so let me see if I can simplify for you: Do not buy it! At least until they fix it. If I am wrong I fully expect a happy 8200 owner to correct me. Judging by responses here I am not holding my breath. Now if they offered it to me for $300 I would buy it and happily reset my settings every time I turned it on.
post #208 of 1089 Old 07-14-2011, 03:30 AM

post #209 of 1089 Old 07-14-2011, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

I think the new thread title accurately summarizes the consensus of this thread.
post #210 of 1089 Old 07-15-2011, 07:17 AM

still the nice projector
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page