My HD66 Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 12-16-2010, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, finally got my Optoma HD66 mounted "calibrated" and set just the way I want it. I finally found a little bit of time to do some sort of a review. I will hit all the major points I can think of and add to this as I think of more. If anyone has any questions please ask and I will be happy to answer them as I can. I will try to take some pictures of how I have mine setup in a very small room as well as a couple screen pics if I can find the time.

First off, here is my setup: Da-Lite 90" 1.2Gain Tight Weave white screen, and a PS3 hooked up via HDMI 1.4a cable (for when I get the 3D-XL). The projector is set back roughly 10' 3" and I get an 88" picture. I have a computer for gaming/HTPC, but I plan on purchasing a new graphics card before I bother trying to hook that up, and I'd like to get the 3D-XL because it will double as a HDMI switcher. Last but not least a 5.1 channel Kenwood Surround Sound Receiver with matching speakers.

Pro: Well first off, this projector is BRIGHT, almost too bright for my size screen/gain. I have found that anything smaller than about 78" will cause a lot of eyestrain without some light on in the room. Once adjusted, the color and contrast are great, the color/brightness rivals my dads 3yo Samsung Plasma downstairs, but doesn't hold a candle to it with contrast, but I figure I payed half as much as he did so I am more than happy. There doesn't seem to be any noticeable input lag which makes it great for gaming of all kinds. The unit is very light as well. Less than 5 pounds or so, and I was surprised how small it was. The HD66 can also pick up the audio over HDMI so you can take it with you anywhere for gaming, but I would not suggest movies (see cons). The projector has a lot of options for calibrating. You can change color biases along with the usual contrast/brightness.

Cons: There is an obvious fan noise, but you will not notice it when there is any sound at all coming out of the speakers. You will definitely have to adjust the color/picture out of the box. The image isn't horrible, but I saw that my projector had an obvious bias for Red. There are only 2 lamp settings, Bright and Standard. I wish it had a low mode for added lamp life and because, I really don't need that bright of an image (not that I am complaining). While it has got built in speakers, they are really weak for anything other than gaming. Don't even think about trying to show a movie on it with the built in speakers. It has got an audio out jack for external computer speakers though, but to be honest, this really isn't much of a con because most people are going to have a stereo when they get the projector anyway. I was only looking at this from a portable point of view.

Random concerns: The one time I did hook my PC up to it, I had a hell of a time getting the image to look right, but after playing around with it, I found that it was my graphics card settings. For some reason I had the overscan set extremely high.

Overall, this is a great projector for its price. I love the fact that it is 3D capable, but I don't want to comment on that until I have actually ventured down that road. If anyone has any questions or requests, please just ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-16-2010, 10:44 PM

So do you see any RBE at all? I am thinking about getting this projector and I currently am using a mits hc3000 that has pretty similar specs and I have never seen one rainbow with it.

Interested in following your thread to see how your 3d experiment goes.

Thanks
post #3 of 18 Old 12-16-2010, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastie View Post

So do you see any RBE at all? I am thinking about getting this projector and I currently am using a mits hc3000 that has pretty similar specs and I have never seen one rainbow with it.

Interested in following your thread to see how your 3d experiment goes.

Thanks

Thank you for reminding me, I knew I left something out. Yes there is an obvious Rainbow Effect. But I am lucky enough not to be bothered by it. Its a little more obvious in darker movies rather than games though, but I think that is just because you are focused more on the center of the screen in a game rather than in a movie.

I hope to get the 3D-XL as soon as it is released, budget granting of course. I have played 2 PC games in 3D before on someone else's setup and I am hooked, so I am hoping to get it sooner than later. (borderlands and Killing Floor were the games BTW)
post #4 of 18 Old 12-17-2010, 02:49 AM

Liked: 11
If you are a first time buyer of a projector and 3D viewing is a strong area of interest in buying this projector then do a lot more homework. For normal 2D viewing it is a very bright projector, but if you want to properly and truly enjoy 3D then you need a much higher gain screen like the Da-lite HP 2.8. Please read about the pros and cons of this screen and other screens for a proper set up for viewing. The true positive of this screen is that if you have the proper viewing set up your 3D viewing will be awesome. When viewing 3D with a low gain screen many scenes may look washed out and lack pop. If possible try to view 3D in an environment similar to what you are setting up!
post #5 of 18 Old 12-17-2010, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil68 View Post
If you are a first time buyer of a projector and 3D viewing is a strong area of interest in buying this projector then do a lot more homework. For normal 2D viewing it is a very bright projector, but if you want to properly and truly enjoy 3D then you need a much higher gain screen like the Da-lite HP 2.8. Please read about the pros and cons of this screen and other screens for a proper set up for viewing. The true positive of this screen is that if you have the proper viewing set up your 3D viewing will be awesome. When viewing 3D with a low gain screen many scenes may look washed out and lack pop. If possible try to view 3D in an environment similar to what you are setting up!
I have read a lot about 3D projection and I am pretty sure it'll be bright enough for it, but I am not really worried about it. The 3D was a factor for me, but not the deciding factor. I was considering the HD20, but decided against it simply because more than half of the content I would use the projector for was in 720p or SD (games and DVDs). I guess I am going into the 3D world as more of an expensive experiment really. To be honest, so long as the 3D works as good as the Real-D theaters I have set up at the theater I work, I'll be happy. Ghosting really doesn't bother me that much. Thank you for the heads up, I'll have to look into the screen, but I really doubt I could afford it at the moment, the screen I have cost me a little over 450 dollars.
post #6 of 18 Old 12-18-2010, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

Mr47,
Thanks for the review. Just trying to get an idea of black levels with this projector. When you put on a completely black scene with the lights out does the screen appear to be glowing a medium to dark shade of greay? Does it give off enough light that it illuminates your room slightly?

When I have a completely black screen up there is a slightly gray image on the screen. You could walk between the projector and screen and see your shadow, but I wouldn't say it lights up the room though. I was blown away by the black levels to be honest, I was not expecting them to be as good as they are for a sub 1000 dollar projector.
post #7 of 18 Old 12-18-2010, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr47 View Post

Cons: It has got an audio out jack for external computer speakers though, but to be honest, this really isn't much of a con because most people are going to have a stereo when they get the projector anyway. I was only looking at this from a portable point of view.

One note. I set up my first outdoor showing this weekend for the neighborhood. I used the out jack so I didn't have to drag out an AVR and my HT speakers. I ran RCAs to a pre-amp and then to some "party" speakers with great results. Audio in was through HDMI. It worked very well.
post #8 of 18 Old 12-21-2010, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Here's one pic of Uncharted 2 on the projector. I'll try and get a few more sometime soon.
post #9 of 18 Old 12-21-2010, 04:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
That's my buddies at Optoma kinda stuff. Great picture, contrast looks high all for $600 bucks. How do they do it?

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #10 of 18 Old 01-01-2011, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Some more pics finally! I have been busy the last few weeks. Sorry for the quality of the pics, I have a really cheap sanyo.

How I mounted my Projector

Just how my screen is mounted, nothing special. (please ignore the monkey, he is just watching over everything ;D )

Here's the screen pulled down.

PS3 with the lights on. (3 60 watt bulbs 3 feet from screen)

Typing in a search in FireFox.

Google home page.
post #11 of 18 Old 01-01-2011, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Some more Pics

Fallout: New Vegas splash Screen. (sorry for the fuzziness, I couldn't keep my camera still for this shot for some reason, tried it 8 or 10 times...)

Fallout: New Vegas Menu

Fallout: New Vegas in game pic near the town of "Novac"

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Menu
I think this pic really shows the great contrast this projector has.
post #12 of 18 Old 07-26-2011, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Well I finally got to test out 3D on my HD66 projector! (only took me several months...) I just bought a pair of Optoma ZD101 3D glasses and tried 3D gaming with my computer. I screwed around with some 3d videos later on as well.

As far as overall image quality goes with the HD66 in DLP Link mode, it is just as good as when it is in 2d mode. I am only projecting a 90" screen so the image is plenty bright even with the glasses on. The 3D effects/image quality are as good as the source. I found a couple of videos that really showed off how good it could look and how well the 3D effect could work. One of the videos was of a man firing a M4 rifle and ejecting the shells into your face. I actually felt like I could reach out and grab the shells!! It was the first 3D video that made me and my friends say WOW.

I get very little to no flickering with the Optoma glasses. (if you go outside of about 35 degrees of the screen they can start flickering sometimes) I get absolutely NO GHOSTING either!

I think I can honestly say that the 3D effect is better than it is in the theater! (provided the source is up to par that is!)
post #13 of 18 Old 11-20-2012, 08:22 AM

hello, i am looking forward to buying the Optoma HD66 for my college dorm. Now that you have had it for a while, is it still looking good? i want to get this projector so i can play games, and watch movies on it. I will have a set of speakers like you said to have. i just want to know if this projector is worth it. i want to be able to play games like halo with no lag and HD qauilty. Does it last a LONG time cuz i dont want to waste 500 bucks on a projector that will start to have dead pixels after 2 years or so.
post #14 of 18 Old 11-20-2012, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Yes it looks just as good as the day that I bought it. Still very bright even after putting upwards of 800 hours on the bulb. I highly recommend this projector for casual movie watching and gaming. I haven't noticed any lag while gaming except when I change resolutions while playing with my computer. Sometime it takes the projector a second to catch up. But I think this is one of the best projectors you can get for the price. Keep in mind though that with such a large screen, imperfections in some games become blatantly obvious (it really showed in the original Gears of War). This is why I tend to play PC games because they tend to look better. But all of my friends that I have seen the projector in action say it looks better than their LCD/Plasma TVs.
Feel free to ask any other questions, I am more than happy to help.
post #15 of 18 Old 11-21-2012, 12:20 PM

thx!
do you know if this device comes with any warranty just encase? i did alot more research and found the ViewSonic PRO8200 which is $200 bucks more (hard on my wallet but i can afford). it comes with a 3 year warranty on the projector, and a 1 year warranty on the bulb. My bud across the hall has this projector and it is beautiful with 1080p. Does this projector come close to 1080p? i mean i just want a projecter to play on so i am leaning towards the hd66. smile.gif
post #16 of 18 Old 11-21-2012, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Honestly its hard to tell the difference sometimes and you really don't need much for a dorm room. I haven't seen the viewsonic myself, but I love all the adjust ability with the HD66. I would just say save the 200 bucks and get a bunch of blu-rays instead lol. I cant remember what kind of warranty it had off the top of my head, but i am sure it was like the viewsonic. I know you can get the HD20 for around a grand and it is full 1080p. I would probably recommend it before the viewsonic. I have read a lot of reviews on the HD20 and most of them recommend it highly. I would probably say read a handful of reviews and make your decision from there. All three seem like good choices with the HD66 being a good budget projector. I do plan on upgrading my projector soon, but I'm not in any hurry. I only plan to upgrade when I move out and have a dedicated theater room. Till then I am very happy with my HD66. smile.gif
post #17 of 18 Old 11-24-2012, 01:57 PM

thx! now one more thing. How far away do you have your projector? i am wondering how big it will turn out in my dorm.
post #18 of 18 Old 11-24-2012, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

I have mine about 14ft from the screen to get a roughly 88" screen.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page