Optoma HD20, Epson 8350 or Mitsubishi HC4000 head to head challenge? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 12-25-2010, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
apkesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
gents (and ladies),
I've been going back and forth on these 3 units for almost a week now for various reasons: Optoma HD20, Epson 8350 or Mitsubishi HC4000

I like the Optoma HD20 because of its low price point ($800) and for all the great reviews it has gotten so far.

I like the Epson 8350 for the reviews. It's an LCD projector so if I or someone in the family is sensitive to seeing rainbows' this is a safe bet. The lowest price for this online is $1200. But the biggest issue I have with this unit is, it's big as a tank

I also like the Misubishi HC4000 also for its reviews (2 of the popular projector review sites gave high reviews for both Mits HC4000 and Epson 8350). My concern with this unit is that #1. There are very few actual USER reviews (besides the ones on this forum from a few individuals there are hardly very many compared to the above 2). #2. A lot of people have also mentioned that besides seeing the 'rainbow' effect there is noticeable light leakage. Lowest price point online for this unit: $1200

I would like to hear from users who have used at least 2 of these units in the past, particular from those who own the HC4000. I did read this one tread on avs, but I'd like to hear more if I can.

I don't mind spending that extra $400 on the Mits4000 or Epson 8350 as long as I will see the difference on a day to day. I plan on using it for watching mainly movies during night time rather than use this as a substitute for tv.

Looking for your suggestions and recommedations. Happy Holidays everyone!
apkesh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 Old 12-26-2010, 12:41 AM
Senior Member
 
KnightRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you're opting for a 2.4:1 screen, I'd choose the Mitsu. For a 16x9 screen in controlled lighting, the Mitsu. For the same screen with ambient light, the Epson. The HD20, I wouldn't bother.
KnightRT is offline  
post #3 of 27 Old 12-26-2010, 05:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Bsims2719's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It's about time for Optoma to upgrade the HD20 with a Darkchip 3. HD21 anyone? $999 street price would be ideal.
Bsims2719 is offline  
post #4 of 27 Old 12-26-2010, 09:37 PM
 
qx56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Save some money and get the hc3800. You won't be disapointed it throws an amazing picture and even my 10 year old son thinks it looks more poppy and lifelike than the 6000.00 sony at the local hi fi store. I think the dlp just does a better job than lcd or sxrd or what ever the sony is.
qx56 is offline  
post #5 of 27 Old 12-27-2010, 06:03 AM
Member
 
Battleship-7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Michigan, U.S.A
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just installed the Epson 8350 on Friday and watched 4 movies since then. All I can say is wow! I replaced a Sony HS10 that I had for about 7 years. The sony was nice, buy the epson is much brighter, better blacks, and no screen door like the Sony. If you shop around your local small box audio video store you can grab these for around $1050-1100 as the cost is about $950.
Battleship-7 is offline  
post #6 of 27 Old 12-27-2010, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
apkesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HC4000 is the 'updated' HC3800 from what I understand. Can someone comment on the 2 common complaints I've read so far: light bleeding and rainbow effect please?
apkesh is offline  
post #7 of 27 Old 12-27-2010, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
jamieuk147's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Buy a HC4000 1000000000000000000000000000000000000%
jamieuk147 is offline  
post #8 of 27 Old 01-14-2011, 03:47 PM
Member
 
local5o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have an opinion or experience with watching sports, especially hockey, on these units?
local5o is offline  
post #9 of 27 Old 01-17-2011, 06:37 PM
Member
 
local5o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would love some input here guys :-)
local5o is offline  
post #10 of 27 Old 01-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Member
 
Web_Usr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by apkesh View Post

HC4000 is the 'updated' HC3800 from what I understand. Can someone comment on the 2 common complaints I've read so far: light bleeding and rainbow effect please?

I still see some light bleeding. But I have seen the rainbow only once in a movie (Curious case of Benjamin Button) so far since Jan '10.
Web_Usr is offline  
post #11 of 27 Old 01-18-2011, 05:33 AM
Member
 
local5o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the HC4000 really worth the price difference?
local5o is offline  
post #12 of 27 Old 01-18-2011, 06:04 AM
Senior Member
 
soutthpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think you really need to take the family and go look at the projectors in use to see if your or family members are more partial to DLP or LCD. It's really hard to do a direct comparison between 2 different technologies. though the HD20 I would not even bother with. it was a sub $1000 price point machine and for that it is a great projector but would not consider the quality in the same league as the Mitsu or Epson... I love my 8350... I was tossed up between the BenQ W1000 and my 8350.. The BenQ is probably another good one to consider from the DLP side

DJ
Vischeck Color deficiency goodies: 8.5% of the human population
soutthpaw is offline  
post #13 of 27 Old 01-18-2011, 06:07 AM
Member
 
statonj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by local5o View Post

Is the HC4000 really worth the price difference?

I would say it depends on the price difference. I'd personally pay another 100 - 200 for a pj with better black levels and that is the main (if not only) difference between the 3800 and the 4000, the DarkChip 3.

"Thus, the HC4000 performs well. It's blacks are even better than the HC3800, which bested the other low cost DLP's last year." - An excerpt from projectorreviews.com

http://www.projectorreviews.com/mits...4000/image.php
statonj is offline  
post #14 of 27 Old 01-18-2011, 07:27 AM
Newbie
 
JTomczak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking into purchasing my first projector. It will be a full TV substitute in a living room that has a good amount of light at times. Does anyone have any recommendations or advice?
JTomczak is offline  
post #15 of 27 Old 01-18-2011, 07:49 AM
Senior Member
 
ikecomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, wish I would've saw this thread 3 weeks ago when I had this exact same question. Although, I'm going to go with the epson for its placement flexibility, warranty and ability to through a decent pic in ambient light I would still be interested on hearing comparisons to the Mitsubishi (ruled out the optoma as it really can't compete with the other 2 unless price is the main concern.)
ikecomp is online now  
post #16 of 27 Old 01-18-2011, 09:43 AM
Newbie
 
Tim Sorrentino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: timsorrentino.com sorrentinodesigngroup.com
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
8350 Dealer Cost NOT 950

The GOLD dealer price for the 8350 is Significantly MORE than $950. The Fulfillment dealer price is even more than a GOLD dealer. Suffice to say if you paid $1100 the dealer lost money or made nothing after getting the unit shipped in depending if he is a direct dealer or buys through distribution.

There is virtually NO dealer margin on this piece.
Tim Sorrentino is online now  
post #17 of 27 Old 01-18-2011, 12:10 PM
Member
 
Collusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kuopio, Finland
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by statonj View Post

I would say it depends on the price difference. I'd personally pay another 100 - 200 for a pj with better black levels and that is the main (if not only) difference between the 3800 and the 4000, the DarkChip 3.

"Thus, the HC4000 performs well. It's blacks are even better than the HC3800, which bested the other low cost DLP's last year." - An excerpt from projectorreviews.com

http://www.projectorreviews.com/mits...4000/image.php

It seems that HC4000 has also got an upgraded color wheel and a better 3D color management. Color reproduction is remarkably more accurate, especially after calibration.
Collusion is offline  
post #18 of 27 Old 01-19-2011, 06:29 PM
357
Advanced Member
 
357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 691
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking at getting one of these projectors mentioned to replace my Acer PH-530. Why the bad words for the HD20 though?
357 is offline  
post #19 of 27 Old 01-19-2011, 08:56 PM
Member
 
Ranick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The bad thing about the HC4000 is it has no lens shift. For my 138" diag screen I'd have to mount the unit 26" below the ceiling, which would put the bottom of the picture well below the floor on a typical 8' ceiling height. The only option is to tilt the PJ and use digital keystone correction which is very undesireable. This is a really awesome PJ but no lens shift is a huge deal breaker for me, and for a PJ that is so well suited at lighting up large screens this flaw is particularly glaring.
Ranick is offline  
post #20 of 27 Old 01-20-2011, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
HDTVChallenged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 8,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranick View Post

The bad thing about the HC4000 is it has no lens shift. For my 138" diag screen I'd have to mount the unit 26" below the ceiling, .

Huh??? that makes no sense ... at all.
HDTVChallenged is offline  
post #21 of 27 Old 01-20-2011, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
newfmp3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NFLD, Canada
Posts: 3,888
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTomczak View Post

I am looking into purchasing my first projector. It will be a full TV substitute in a living room that has a good amount of light at times. Does anyone have any recommendations or advice?

Yeah, I recommend to not make a projector a full tv subsitute unless it's a TV that doesn't get used very often. This is not something you are going to want to leave on all the time like most TV's are. That is unless you do not mind spending hundreds of $$$ on bulbs every few months. Most PJ's are lucky to hit 2000 hours before bulb goes poof!

Ours is Movies and mild gaming only. I purposely do not have a sat dish connected to it as every joe blow sport nut in the family would be over to my house watching @#$@#$ hockey.
newfmp3 is offline  
post #22 of 27 Old 01-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Senior Member
 
brianbat420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post

Yeah, I recommend to not make a projector a full tv subsitute unless it's a TV that doesn't get used very often. This is not something you are going to want to leave on all the time like most TV's are. That is unless you do not mind spending hundreds of $$$ on bulbs every few months. Most PJ's are lucky to hit 2000 hours before bulb goes poof!

Ours is Movies and mild gaming only. I purposely do not have a sat dish connected to it as every joe blow sport nut in the family would be over to my house watching @#$@#$ hockey.

Ummm, no....

I use my Sanyo z2000 for my ONLY tv and probably put 4-8 hours a day on it. When I replaced the OEM bulb I had 4500 hours and it was still going. However, the bulb I replaced it with blew today with probably 200< hours on it. I am a little pissed off about that one
brianbat420 is offline  
post #23 of 27 Old 01-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Member
 
Ranick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranick View Post

The bad thing about the HC4000 is it has no lens shift. For my 138" diag screen I'd have to mount the unit 26" below the ceiling, which would put the bottom of the picture well below the floor on a typical 8' ceiling height. The only option is to tilt the PJ and use digital keystone correction which is very undesireable. This is a really awesome PJ but no lens shift is a huge deal breaker for me, and for a PJ that is so well suited at lighting up large screens this flaw is particularly glaring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Huh??? that makes no sense ... at all.

Sorry, my typo.

I should have said mount the screen (not unit) 26" down from the top of the ceiling...which is impossible with a screen that big in most rooms. This is because of the offset of the lens. When you figure the depth of the ceiling mount and then the depth of the PJ to the center of the lens, the top of the picture hits (give or take a few inches) about 26" below the top of the ceiling on a 138" diagonal screen.

My point is, someone who doesn't realize this and is planning on getting a great big screen because of this PJ's very high lumens, may be in for a rude awakening when they realize the offset issues, and find that the only solution is to tilt the PJ and use digital keystone to correct.

I don't want to scare anyone away from this PJ, I've seen the picture this thing throws and for the price it's pretty awesome. Very bright and very dynamic, a better picture (by a small margin) in my opinion than the demo 8350 I saw. Just be aware, if you want to use this things high lumens to go BIG, you'd better have the ceiling height to accomodate. If you're projecting on a screen 100" or less, it probably won't be a problem ceiling mounting this for most people.
Ranick is offline  
post #24 of 27 Old 01-20-2011, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
domingos1965's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranick View Post

Sorry, my typo.

I should have said mount the screen (not unit) 26" down from the top of the ceiling...which is impossible with a screen that big in most rooms. This is because of the offset of the lens. When you figure the depth of the ceiling mount and then the depth of the PJ to the center of the lens, the top of the picture hits (give or take a few inches) about 26" below the top of the ceiling on a 138" diagonal screen.

My point is, someone who doesn't realize this and is planning on getting a great big screen because of this PJ's very high lumens, may be in for a rude awakening when they realize the offset issues, and find that the only solution is to tilt the PJ and use digital keystone to correct.

I don't want to scare anyone away from this PJ, I've seen the picture this thing throws and for the price it's pretty awesome. Very bright and very dynamic, a better picture (by a small margin) in my opinion than the demo 8350 I saw. Just be aware, if you want to use this things high lumens to go BIG, you'd better have the ceiling height to accomodate. If you're projecting on a screen 100" or less, it probably won't be a problem ceiling mounting this for most people.

can i ceiling mount it ?will it work in my room?
i want o go with a 120" screen and have 8' ceiling
domingos1965 is offline  
post #25 of 27 Old 01-20-2011, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
StevenC56's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'm thinking about the HC4000 with a 106" screen. My ceiling height is 10', so I think it will work OK for me other than the noise factor since it would be mounted just above the main seating.
StevenC56 is offline  
post #26 of 27 Old 01-20-2011, 08:17 PM
Member
 
Ranick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos1965 View Post

can i ceiling mount it ?will it work in my room?
i want o go with a 120" screen and have 8' ceiling

Here is the calculator from the Mitsubishi website:

http://global.mitsubishielectric.com...rjcalc_nf.html
Ranick is offline  
post #27 of 27 Old 01-20-2011, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HDTVChallenged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 8,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranick View Post

Sorry, my typo.

I should have said mount the screen (not unit) 26" down from the top of the ceiling....

Alrighty then ... that makes more sense.
HDTVChallenged is offline  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off