Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 695 Old 11-17-2011, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat View Post

1140x912 is the native res of this chip, the nec led pj uses this chip and claims this as the native res and some industry insiders have said so also.

Please explain how that works optically as it's not 16:10 right! Does it use some kinda mirror/lens to optically correct the aspect ratio difference? Or NEC simply made a mistake and people are talking outta their asses... Perhaps it's a misunderstanding on how the 45° DMD mirrors work? Outside of optical correction via mirror/lens I can't see how the hell it would work properly if the DMD isn't 16:10.

IMHO people are simply talking outta their asses on this one... OR it's optically corrected via mirror/prism/lens. OR even WORSE it's done digitally via scaling/processing. I can't see that being the case considering how sharp these units are compared to all the others using the same chipsets. I think those differences are simply optics IE the lens being cheap with chromatic aberrations.

BTW those "industry insiders" are generally sales and marketing staff... the same people I see at trade shows showcasing products with D-SUB VGA ANALOG INPUTS DUH... I don't buy anything those morons say most of the time... LOL (morons in terms of their technical skills and nothing more and no insults intended just simply technician/engineers observation of these people) owhh and understand these marketing/sales people change jobs/industries like every five years. Most are ill informed technically about the products they sell/market. Most... talk outta their asses... Paul Klipsch would have used his BS lapel button like every five minutes at a tradeshow today man!!! Seriously most don't know what the hell they are talking about technically a lot of the time and the sales people are simply reading off of sheets given to them by the marketing people. You will find some younger sales people with PASSION that are truly into A/V and do know what they are talking about but most are simply career sales people that within five years will be working in an entirely different industry spewing their BS to try to get SALES.

PS has anyone tried to send a 1140x912 signal via TDMS from a PC ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 695 Old 11-17-2011, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
http://www.slashgear.com/nec-l50w-le...mens-13179267/
Quote:

The contrast ratio is 2500:1 and inside the slim projector is a 0.45″ DLP providing 1140 x 912 resolution.

http://www.necdisplay.com/documents/...essRelease.pdf
I have heard they signed a NDA but some one screwed up,but who knows, this chip looks best with 1080p stuff anyway(on my ml500 anyway)
do you have a pj with this chip?

(fifth element)
post #273 of 695 Old 11-17-2011, 06:42 PM

Liked: 11
No I don't have one of these projects. And I guess if I understand the technology now rightly, You should be able to lock hor or vert pixels but not both at the same time. This would explain why your 1920 source looks better than a 1280 source.

kanefsky in this thread explains these "diamond" pixels and no the DMD isn't TRULY 1280 x 800 it's 1140x912 LAME!

I wonder how it corrects the PHYSICAL aspect ratio distortion. I must be using some kind mirror/prism/lens and it does it optically. If it's done digitally internal to the DMD chipset than that's really BAD and most definitely SUCKS.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...304775&page=45
post #274 of 695 Old 11-17-2011, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

he doesn't explain anything imo,we arnt talkin low res,not hard to understand a row of boxes set corner to corner will be longer and as you interlock another row that row(2nd) allmost disappears as row 1 and 3 actually touch at corners(theres the aspect).This isnt some magic, set up its the same square grid turned a 1/8th.lotsa pixels(720p) makes scaling lines and curves a non issue.

(fifth element)
post #275 of 695 Old 11-18-2011, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hello Everybody,

a noted German PC magazine published a review of the ACER K330, LG HW300Y, Optoma ML500, Viewsonic PLED-W500 and Vivitek Qumi by comparing them. Only the NEC and DELL M110 are missing. Unfortunately the review isn't really detailed. I don't know what I'm allowed to report due to copyrights, but I hope that it's no problem to tell you these conclusions:

+best contrast(ANSI) in order: LG - Viewsonic - Qumi - Acer - Optoma
+best max. contrast in order: LG - Qumi - Acer - Optoma - Viewsonic
+brightness (normal mode, brightest color setting) in order: Viewsonic - Optoma - Acer - LG - Qumi
+brightness (eco mode, brightest color setting) in order: same as above
+brightness (normal mode, movie color setting) in order: Optoma - Acer - Viewsonic - LG - Qumi
+brightness (eco mode, movie color setting) in order: same as above
+best subjective image quality: LG
+best fan noise (brightest mode) in order: Qumi - Viewsonic - Optoma - Acer - LG
+best fan noise (darkest mode) in order: Qumi - LG - Viewsonic - Optoma - Acer
+best black level (min., ANSI lumens) in order: Qumi - LG - same value for Acer, Optoma and Viewsonic
+best black level (max., ANSI lumens) in order: Qumi - LG - same value for Acer and Optoma - Viewsonic

So far for the comparision. I was really thinking of bying one of these projectors, additionally to my LG HX300, because of 3D capability, but the best projector in the test (LG, disregarding the 16:10 problem) doesn't support 3D and the others are too loud. So I'm thinking to buy a second LG HX300 if it gets cheaper to set up a polarization 3D cinema. I hope someone is going to report of his DLP-Link experiences with one of these projectors soon.

Thomas
post #276 of 695 Old 11-18-2011, 07:36 AM

Jeez what happend to this thread forgot to take your medicine Korey Sundkvist? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyhes View Post

I'd like to ask if you know is there any new firmware published since jun 2011 ?.

Sorry for the late response Beyhes.
Sadly LG has not released any new firmware to fix the aspect ratio bug.
That's why I have returned my HW300Y.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erdi01 View Post

+best contrast(ANSI): LG
+best max. contrast: LG
+best subjective image: LG

I totaly agree with this review. Had both the HW300Y and Acer K330 for testing and the was LG soooooo much better in image quality. If in the near future LG is able to fix the aspect ratio bug i'm buying the HW300Y.. again
post #277 of 695 Old 11-18-2011, 10:10 AM

weighing each of those rows equally and rating in rank 1 to 5 (ignoring subjective, and for ties it takes lowest number, and thus rank doesnt go to 5. lowest score is best) i get LG 29, acer 32, qumi 29, viewsonic 27, optoma 28. sooo not helpful divide tbh but if someone with some projector knowledge could weight up the different things that'd be possibly more decisive.
post #278 of 695 Old 11-18-2011, 11:36 AM

It also my impression that LG is the best out of the clones, ore could have been, its also the most expensive atleast in Europe. still the review including those youtube are out of the box reviews without any calibration... my old Lg 300g was very nice, but dim movie scenes looked really really bad" guess thats why most youtope videos shows cartoon ore explosions. playing games on the LG was no fun unless you enjoy getting killed every 5 second, ore 8 in bright mode.
gave the Lg to my sister, and I dont think She ever notice any of my complains
post #279 of 695 Old 11-18-2011, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriel View Post

It also my impression that LG is the best out of the clones, ore could have been, its also the most expensive atleast in Europe. still the review including those youtube are out of the box reviews without any calibration... my old Lg 300g was very nice, but dim movie scenes looked really really bad" guess thats why most youtope videos shows cartoon ore explosions. playing games on the LG was no fun unless you enjoy getting killed every 5 second, ore 8 in bright mode.

the clones are all made for most practical explanations by one company ,and are the same pj except for some small I/O plugs and software tweeks,the lg is not one of the 4 clones

(fifth element)
post #280 of 695 Old 11-19-2011, 11:15 AM

Liked: 13
Anybody has experience about Acer K330 and LG HW300 built in speakers comparing?
Which one is louder?
Qumi has extremely quit and useless speaker against Acer K330 has loud.
post #281 of 695 Old 11-19-2011, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Cool, the LG HW301G is now shipping from frys in the U.S. Price is competitive with Optoma ML500 as well.

A warning though, for anyone that hasn't read this thread, the LG HW301G currently has a firmware bug where it stretches all signals, rather than preserving the aspect ratio.
Also, unlike the Optoma ML500 and clones, LG does not support 3D

It does have a CMS though...
post #282 of 695 Old 11-20-2011, 01:29 PM

Anyone can enlighten me about built in speakers ability?
Thanks for a lot
post #283 of 695 Old 11-21-2011, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
@tataniko
In the mentioned review, the sound quality of the Acer, Optoma, LG and Viewsonic ist rated as bad, the sound quality of the qumi is rated as very bad. The 500 lumen projectors are provided with one 2W speaker, the Qumi with one 1W and the LG is provided with two 1W speakers.
post #284 of 695 Old 11-24-2011, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriel View Post

those youtube are out of the box reviews without any calibration... my old Lg 300g was very nice, but dim movie scenes looked really really bad" guess thats why most youtope videos shows cartoon ore explosions. playing games on the LG was no fun unless you enjoy getting killed every 5 second, ore 8 in bright mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat View Post

the clones are all made for most practical explanations by one company ,and are the same pj except for some small I/O plugs and software tweeks,the lg is not one of the 4 clones

no, you are right eat meat, my Lg was the older model. very happy whit the samy, not to say its perfect, but mush more than I would have expected, couldn't care less about not living up to hd specifications it would have been nice, but its far from what I consider most important regarding image quality
have updated my Samsung F10 post on page 8
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1304737&page=8

-----------

just ignore, and go on whit the LG HW300T tread
post #285 of 695 Old 11-24-2011, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have a Denon video processor that has the ability to take my sources, BR, PS3, and DirecTV, and output the video in HDMI 1280x800(WUXGA I think it calls it). Would this solve the problem with the LG stretching the HDMI 16x9 input?

Jack
post #286 of 695 Old 12-13-2011, 07:48 AM

How can a projector that scales everything wrong have the best picture quality? Just my 2c.
post #287 of 695 Old 12-13-2011, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post

I have a Denon video processor that has the ability to take my sources, BR, PS3, and DirecTV, and output the video in HDMI 1280x800(WUXGA I think it calls it). Would this solve the problem with the LG stretching the HDMI 16x9 input?

I looked at the User Manual for the Denon 602 VP and the closest output format it supports is WXGA, which is 1280x768. So it looks like a VP won't work unless it has custom resolution function that allowed you to specify the exact fit.

Jack
post #288 of 695 Old 01-01-2012, 06:39 PM

OK, after reading all the aspect ratio problems, I was concerned, I picked up my HW300T from frys new year's eve, had it on sale. I have checked for stretching and mine does not show it. I have the LG BD670 bluray player, I popped in a few bluray movies and everything looks good, my projector ratio is "just scan" my player is set to 16:9, 1080P. I've owned many projectors..ae4000, 8500UB, Z2,Z4, etc.. I hate the 16:10 ratio, but the only time I see the 16:10 screen is on start up with the blue screen or surfing the channels in SD from TMC. my firmware is 03.00.15 on the projector. I absolutely love this lil gem, don't go buy one based on my post. here's what I tested with "Titanic" super widescreen LB with big black bars on top and bottom, same as my 1080P led panel tv. "300" no stretching at all, I haven't tested component, usb, or composite, but Im not planning on using those inputs anyways. it's strickly bluray. dvd, and netflix, and maybe some good local HD programming in cable. Im more excited about this projector than I was with my panny 4000, so finally, IM keeping mine and good luck to you all
post #289 of 695 Old 01-01-2012, 06:41 PM

and was wondering why nobody has posted since 12/13, hmmm HAPPY NEW YEAR people
post #290 of 695 Old 01-01-2012, 08:03 PM

This product launch is strange. LG introduced the HW300 series at CES 2011 and now a year later the only place that sells them is Fry's and maybe Tiger Direct Canada. Of course it always takes time from CES intro to retail but this is just wierd. Same with the pricing - what's LG's logic? - A tv tuner and dnla features shouldn't increase the price much above something like the Vivitek Qumi.
post #291 of 695 Old 01-02-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garibay_2004 View Post

OK, after reading all the aspect ratio problems, I was concerned, I picked up my HW300T from frys new year's eve, had it on sale. I have checked for stretching and mine does not show it. I have the LG BD670 bluray player, I popped in a few bluray movies and everything looks good, my projector ratio is "just scan" my player is set to 16:9, 1080P. I've owned many projectors..ae4000, 8500UB, Z2,Z4, etc.. I hate the 16:10 ratio, but the only time I see the 16:10 screen is on start up with the blue screen or surfing the channels in SD from TMC. my firmware is 03.00.15 on the projector. I absolutely love this lil gem, don't go buy one based on my post. here's what I tested with "Titanic" super widescreen LB with big black bars on top and bottom, same as my 1080P led panel tv. "300" no stretching at all, I haven't tested component, usb, or composite, but Im not planning on using those inputs anyways. it's strickly bluray. dvd, and netflix, and maybe some good local HD programming in cable. Im more excited about this projector than I was with my panny 4000, so finally, IM keeping mine and good luck to you all

Have you tried putting up some test graphics with circles that would show no stretching? Posting pics of that would be helpful for all of us.

Jack
post #292 of 695 Old 01-02-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:

Have you tried putting up some test graphics with circles that would show no stretching? Posting pics of that would be helpful for all of us.

I'll try posting pics as soon as I figure out how to post them, Im gonna get busy doing it today, any ideas where I can get the test graphics? but Im assuming the test graphics will be display via a computer, and the main complaint I've heard is HDMI, let me know if there's a specific movie. thanks
and btw, frys has the projector on sale until the 5th, I probably can't post price I paid.
post #293 of 695 Old 01-02-2012, 01:14 PM

sorry for the bad pic, test shot from online, resolution is set to 1280x800 projector is set to 16:9, if you guys have anything you wanna see, let me know...screen is not up yet, I have a piece of white butcher paper over an older painted screen, screen size is 93" or so, there's nothing I don't love about this projector. Bluray quality is absolutely stunning, even dvd look amazing, Im gonna re view my whole collection, happy new year

post #294 of 695 Old 01-02-2012, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

What connection are you using for these pics? What device projected the image? The connection that had not worked up to now is hdmi from BR player or DirecTv or Dish Network.

Jack
post #295 of 695 Old 01-02-2012, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What connection are you using for these pics? What device projected the image? The connection that had not worked up to now is hdmi from BR player or DirecTv or Dish Network.

seems like a htpc"resolution is set to 1280x800"

(fifth element)
post #296 of 695 Old 01-02-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:

that was my netbook with resolution set @1280x800, yeah and sadly, upon further testing, HDMI signals are stretched a bit, not to fill the 16:10 screen but there's a slight stretch.

the good news...I emailed founder projector guru from PROJECTOR REVIEWS, forgot his name, but he was nice enough to return my email and told me he was meeting with LG people tonight at CES and he was going to press them hard for some answers, I explained to him what the issue was, but Im sure he was aware of it by now. I told him that there were a lot of frustrated and disappointed people including myself.

the bottom line, I will keep my projector, I absolutely love it. I just wish the throw was a bit longer. Im using it in my bedroom so without zoom I have to live with a huge 93" inch screen in a 11x11 feet room. I left the first user review on projector central website, nice being number one, hehe
post #297 of 695 Old 01-02-2012, 11:19 PM

it is from my netbook set at native 1280x800
post #298 of 695 Old 01-04-2012, 11:30 PM

no word back from LG, their customer service sucks big time...manager at FRYS burbank told me I could return it without a restocking fee, so I have a few days to decide. if I return it it's only because of LG's horrible customer service, not that I don't love the projector.
post #299 of 695 Old 01-09-2012, 06:37 AM

Is the Aspec ratio thing now fixed or not? Wanna use my sattelite Tuner with 16:9 720p input.
post #300 of 695 Old 01-09-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbygamer27 View Post

Is the Aspec ratio thing now fixed or not? Wanna use my sattelite Tuner with 16:9 720p input.

Nope, I don't think so. Otherwise you'd be hearing it already from a few of the members who are aware of this problem. =)
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page