Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2167 Old 05-23-2011, 01:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson View Post
I just wonder if this is considered a revolution to the general public? I know people like us find the projector to be of note and are excited to see a LED projector in this price range, but most people could care less. I only know of 2 other people in my area using a projector in their home, one owns the local Radio Shack.

I try to get others interested in projectors, but they see them as something that only movie stars and and basketball players can afford. Hopefully projectors with LED light sources will bring more consumers into the projector market.

I can't wait to hear how these new projectors perform in the real world.

I heard a phrase called keeping up with the Joneses?
Anywho in 2006 we purchased a brand new Equinox Sport truck? suv? car truck suv?

Anywho it was a nice looking truck and in June of 2006 it was the only one in our town.

Three weeks later the Chevrolet dealership was full of Equinoxes and when I stopped to have a look the dealership Manager tells me a lot of folks kept asking about my truck and so a lot of Equinoxes were being sold.

I got thanks and a complimentary set of movie tickets so it was cool.

Folks hate new things as a general rule.
But if they see so and so with something nice then its hey!! we have to have that too since what are folks going to say if the guy down the street has that at their house and we do not?

I expect that if I buy a Qumi then it will be two months tops before folks come and invite us to their house party where theres going to be a gadget used in their HT

Did you guess a q, u, m and an i?
Copycat folks

And its going to be hey Russ we got one just like yours only we got a remote controlled mount.

I expect sales to start slow and then build as all the copycats have to join the me too crowd.

DIY beats store purchased.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2167 Old 05-23-2011, 01:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson View Post
Anyone using lasers besides Casio for FP? I know Mitsubishi had the LaserVue DLP RP sets, and I was hoping we would see Mitsubishi bring LaserVue into the FP market, but I have not heard anything about it recently.
several were working on direct view and some claim the speckle was gone and or in the single % and there is the laser picos-but it looks like dlp will be the way it will go ,casio suprised itself-dropping its pure led PJ line-they were showing them when they brought out the green slim line-they looked like lil green slims-you could see them in some early vids and pics.

(fifth element)
post #273 of 2167 Old 05-23-2011, 02:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Burrows View Post
I expect that if I buy a Qumi then it will be two months tops before folks come and invite us to their house party where theres going to be a gadget used in their HT

Did you guess a q, u, m and an i?
Copycat folks

And its going to be hey Russ we got one just like yours only we got a remote controlled mount.

I expect sales to start slow and then build as all the copycats have to join the me too crowd.
I don't mind people copying my HT, personally I think it would be great if everyone could enjoy a nice home theater experience.

Now copying my vehicle is another story. I purchased the first 2005 Mustang in my area, then did a lot of custom work too it to make it mine. After a few months, it seemed like I saw them everywhere.

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Paradigm PS-1200 Sub
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________Polk bookshelf for Surrounds
post #274 of 2167 Old 05-23-2011, 03:49 AM

Like others, I do wonder why Vivitek never opted to send out even a review unit to any of the major sites.
post #275 of 2167 Old 05-23-2011, 04:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Cedia is coming up Sept. 7th, I think I'm going to take a wait and see approach.
post #276 of 2167 Old 05-23-2011, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

They are going for the ipad crowd-its always hooked up to one or a ipod.Thats why Laporte got one.They know how most(HT types) will view a low lumen pocket 720p PJ.

(fifth element)
post #277 of 2167 Old 05-23-2011, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Ale
Cedia is coming up Sept. 7th, I think I'm going to take a wait and see approach.
I'm like that too, but if I wait I wont get anything until Feb.2012
post #278 of 2167 Old 05-23-2011, 07:26 AM

In the right hands I think a projector with these specs could generate quite a stir. unfortunately I just don't feel Vivitek has the resources or mindset to position it this way. The extreme example of this would be Apple. If Steve put on his black turtle neck shirt and held this up on a stage in Cupertino, millions would be ready to murder each other to have a shot at buying one for whatever price Steve decided to quip during the presentation.

Also, still not message from Amazon to change expectations for availability. My open orders page still shows it ARRIVING (not shipping) up until May 24th, tomorrow. So, by tonight I expect I'll either get a shipping notification or the dreaded push back notice. I guess we'll see.... One thing. I am an Amazon Prime member so not only do I get free 2 day shipping but I also get overnight shipping for $3.99. I chose overnight on this because I wasn't sure when it would get here and wanted the best chances of having it before I went out of town for this weekend. Not sure if that factors at all into the chances for getting priority on any limited numbers they may be getting or if I simply haven't gotten the note yet. Time will tell.
post #279 of 2167 Old 05-23-2011, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 262
If I were to guess, Amazon may have received a commitment for a small # of black projectors. I ordered in early May and still have the 26th as a delivery with no emails showing a delay yet.

I have a number of other projectors, the main use for this would be on/off TV viewing on a 60-70 screen near my home office.
post #280 of 2167 Old 05-23-2011, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I will be interested to hear your views on it zombie.
post #281 of 2167 Old 05-23-2011, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post

I will be interested to hear your views on it zombie.

The closest projector I can compare it to is the Acer 3D DLP 720P. if it shows up this week, I'll definitely post some impressions. I use an HTPC so it should be easy to drive the small QUMI and see how the 3D does, even though 300 lumens isn't much to start with.

The Acer 3D DLP measures 800 lumens in 3D mode on my 142" 2.8HP screen. It's ~ 1300 @ D65 2D mode which is great. The RBE is the deal breaker, I am sensitive to it. I won't be comparing it to the JVC RS50, that isn't quite fair.

I am hoping it's bright enough for a nice 80-90" screen with the Dalite 2.4HP material just to turn on / off like a TV to catch a show, etc.
post #282 of 2167 Old 05-23-2011, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

The closest projector I can compare it to is the Acer 3D DLP 720P. if it shows up this week, I'll definitely post some impressions. I use an HTPC so it should be easy to drive the small QUMI and see how the 3D does, even though 300 lumens isn't much to start with.

The Acer 3D DLP measures 800 lumens in 3D mode on my 142" 2.8HP screen. It's ~ 1300 @ D65 2D mode which is great. The RBE is the deal breaker, I am sensitive to it. I won't be comparing it to the JVC RS50, that isn't quite fair.

I am hoping it's bright enough for a nice 80-90" screen with the Dalite 2.4HP material just to turn on / off like a TV to catch a show, etc.

That's what I want to hear is how it lights up a 90" Dalite 2.4HP screen for HDTV. Since I have read your posts about the dimness of your RS50, I know your opinion will be in line with what I am expecting for brightness. Let's hope amazon gets these this week. Of course for those of us that didn't pre-order amazon does show a 1-2 month wait...doh!

Mike

The Mayans were full of sh*t!!!
post #283 of 2167 Old 05-23-2011, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw23air View Post

That's what I want to hear is how it lights up a 90" Dalite 2.4HP screen for HDTV. Since I have read your posts about the dimness of your RS50, I know your opinion will be in line with what I am expecting for brightness. Let's hope amazon gets these this week. Of course for those of us that didn't pre-order amazon does show a 1-2 month wait...doh!

Mike

Mike - hi, I like to call it like I see it. No sugar coating a 6k street price projector which was strong on promises and weak on delivery in regard to lumens. They promised 1300 which is nowhere near the truth. I am around 360 D65 lumens with the projector 4-5 inches above eye level on my 142" 16:9 2.8HP which is quite large compared to my old 92" and 110" screens. The overall IQ is excellent on the RS50, but I'd be insanely PO'd if I owned a low gain screen with a projector this expensive.

With the lights out, the HP is the real hero with the relatively low lumens of the RS50. This makes me think the QUMI will be fine with a 80-90" 2.4HP, that's if it really puts out 300 lumens.

I have all the tools necessary for measuring lumen output and color calibration. When I receive it, I'll compare the QUMI to the lumen output of the RS50, Mitsubishi HC5500 and my Acer 3d DLP just for reference so others can get an idea.
post #284 of 2167 Old 05-23-2011, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mike - hi, I like to call it like I see it. No sugar coating a 6k street price projector which was strong on promises and weak on delivery in regard to lumens. They promised 1300 which is nowhere near the truth. I am around 360 D65 lumens with the projector 4-5 inches above eye level on my 142" 16:9 2.8HP which is quite large compared to my old 92" and 110" screens. The overall IQ is excellent on the RS50, but I'd be insanely PO'd if I owned a low gain screen with a projector this expensive.

With the lights out, the HP is the real hero with the relatively low lumens of the RS50. This makes me think the QUMI will be fine with a 80-90" 2.4HP, that's if it really puts out 300 lumens.

I have all the tools necessary for measuring lumen output and color calibration. When I receive it, I'll compare the QUMI to the lumen output of the RS50, Mitsubishi HC5500 and my Acer 3d DLP just for reference so others can get an idea.

Jason,

Great, I will look forward to hearing how your QUMI performs. My luck though it will be fantastic and I will have to sit and wait a few months until more show up but I guess that is better than it being dim or having terrible pq.

Thanks,
Mike

post #285 of 2167 Old 05-23-2011, 02:55 PM

The bulb in my Home 10+ is surging so for me it's going to be the first acceptable sub-$500 720p LED unit delivered in quantity, to serve as a bulb replacement if little else... though seeing an occasional 3D image (decent even if dim) is interesting to me.

Acer regularly throws mass quantities at a surprised market, so here's hoping they've secretly come up with and mass produced an uber product using the new chip, combined with their previous success in this arena. But then again that's just what I keep telling myself to stop from pre-ordering a Qumi

Regards,
Lex
post #286 of 2167 Old 05-23-2011, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Heck, I'm currently browsing this forum on my 20 LUMENS Optoma PK201 pocket projector throwing an image 100" diagonally on a High Power!

The 300 lumens Qumi should be perfect for just that, casual viewing without burning you bulb, as was my old 200 lumens LG HS201...

Robert Clark
post #287 of 2167 Old 05-23-2011, 04:59 PM

Liked: 12
Lolz, I'm with you Robert....I was actually more or less content with my toy Optoma PT100 which is 20 lumens in standard brightness mode and 50 in abstract funky bright mode. I sent it in due to some color (with dark scenes) and focus issues and wonder if I'll ever get it back....

Looking forward to these upcoming units!

Jeremy
post #288 of 2167 Old 05-23-2011, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Projectorpeople has both the black and white Qumi's listed on their site and they say due in stock in June.

Mike

post #289 of 2167 Old 05-23-2011, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

that place...i dunno, they also have the samsung f10m"the first led projector" =LOL

(fifth element)
post #290 of 2167 Old 05-23-2011, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat View Post

that place...i dunno, they also have the samsung f10m"the first led projector" =LOL

At projectorpeople it doesn't say that eat meat, it says "The Samsung F10M data projector features the first LED light source outputting up to 1,000 ANSI lumens."

I trust projectorpeople as I have bought from them before and they are an avsforum sponsor. Amazon could get them anyday but June is probably right for most other places.

Mike

post #291 of 2167 Old 05-23-2011, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Please dont tell me what I see on the scrolling bar.

clearly it says
Quote:
the first led projector

(fifth element)
post #292 of 2167 Old 05-23-2011, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Please dont tell me what I see on the scrolling bar.

clearly it says

I see what you are talking about on their home page, its kinda like they didn't finish the sentence with them meaning first led projector with 1,000 lumens.

Mike

post #293 of 2167 Old 05-23-2011, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I have seen stuff on that website that ,well made me shake my head somtimes.
LL

(fifth element)
post #294 of 2167 Old 05-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

I have purchased three projectors from projectorpeople.com. They have always been helpful and knowledgeable. I am sure if you had any questions about projectors you would not get the same wealth of knowledge from an amazon or BB rep.

post #295 of 2167 Old 05-23-2011, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

"The Samsung F10M data projector features the first LED light source outputting up to 1,000 ANSI lumens."

I reality this is probably wrong also-shipped a month after the casios.

(fifth element)
post #296 of 2167 Old 05-23-2011, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

eat meat, do you work for Casio?

post #297 of 2167 Old 05-23-2011, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

No.Im a owner.

(fifth element)
post #298 of 2167 Old 05-23-2011, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

I put this into google and it returned 1,410 results lol.

eat meat casio site:avsforum.com

I have a challenge for you, can you go more than 20 posts without mentioning Casio?

post #299 of 2167 Old 05-23-2011, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"The Samsung F10M data projector features the first LED light source outputting up to 1,000 ANSI lumens."

Yeah, but this goes back to Samsung as that marketing blurb is listed on amazon and other places as well that sell the Samsung. Projector People did mess up when they cut off the end of the sentence but its not like that is going to help it sell or anything.

Let's hope amazon gets these this week. I bet the Qumi isn't going to be bright enough for a 90" screen.

Are LED lumens rated any different than lumens from a UHP bulb?

Mike

post #300 of 2167 Old 05-23-2011, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The Casio has a hybrid light source using a laser and an LED, Samsung is LED only.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Vivitek Qumi Q2 300 Lumen Wxga Hdmi 3d Ready Pocket Dlp Projector White

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page