Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Burrows View Post

How does a bee or a fly see??

Ahhhhh...Hmmmm?

Still don't get it. Looking at the picture, there is not even a cable to control the cube. From all appearances this produces a monochromatic static image.

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Paradigm PS-1200 Sub
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________Polk bookshelf for Surrounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2167 Old 06-04-2011, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Fresnel View Post

We've seen the Qumi at CES and on TV on Regis&Kelli. So we all can see that it "works".

My guess is that had this proj not attracted so much publicity, it would have been sent out to reviewers, but The SECOND KELLY RIPA said "Ooh I want one" on live TV, was the moment Vivitek decided to ride on pure hype and consumer anticipation.

It sure seems to be working well for them judging by the many of you who have pre-ordered. Heck, I want one too, but will wait for objective reviews from you, my brave pre-orderers.

But it's not like until the first unit is produced from the assembly plant there is not a single one in existence. I am sure Vivitek has numerous working prototypes. Start sending them out for reviews.

My biggest disappointment is going to waiting three months for this thing and it turns out to be not suitable for home theater. I have an empty home theater waiting on a projector.
post #363 of 2167 Old 06-04-2011, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Stuff just dosnt get sent out for reviews, You file a request and it gets approved.They are very selective .(pick 1 or 2 or all of the following) ,a bad fast, overly technical, inaccurate review is not what they want.There is a good chance that some one will think of this being to dim,nice toy but not real HT ect.why would they let that happen.

(fifth element)
post #364 of 2167 Old 06-04-2011, 08:19 PM

Infocomm closes june 17, so maybe they want to launch the qumi on infocomm before sending the units... maybe
post #365 of 2167 Old 06-05-2011, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson View Post

Ahhhhh...Hmmmm?

Still don't get it. Looking at the picture, there is not even a cable to control the cube. From all appearances this produces a monochromatic static image.

A bee , ant, fly or praying mantis have whats called compound eyes.
These obtain video images from the surrounding habitat via a multitude of lenses that the insects brain assembles into a single image.

Also using the same technology are compound telescopes that use multiple lenses to assemble a single image/moving video feed of stars galaxies etc.

A flat piece of plastic uses multiple compound lenses to create a huge magnifying glass from a flat piece of plastic i.e fresnel lenses.

"Such a microarray has around 250 microlenses, and under each lens there is a microimage. When all of them are projected onto the wall together, a high-quality complete image is produced from an extremely small projector”.

Meaning a high quality picture that can be static as the example being shown.

Meaning a 1080p image static or moving video is broken down into 250 subsegments in the case of our hobby "moving pictures" aka known as full motion video then after its projected past the 250 lenses we see a single 1080p image or a single video feed at 1080p from a subminuscle projector.

Total cool.

Whatever is fed to the projector is projected onto the movie screen.

Ars Gratia Artis.

DIY beats store purchased.
post #366 of 2167 Old 06-05-2011, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Burrows View Post

Meaning a 1080p image static or moving video is broken down into 250 subsegments in the case of our hobby "moving pictures" aka known as full motion video then after its projected past the 250 lenses we see a single 1080p image or a single video feed at 1080p from a subminuscle projector.

Total cool.

Whatever is fed to the projector is projected onto the movie screen.

Ars Gratia Artis.

Okay, I understand the basic concept of it, but I want to see something besides a green LED lighting a tiny cube. They should at least have a picture of the output image. Having the image integrated into the optics is where I see the problem. What tech could be integrated into the optics for fmv? DLP and LCOS use reflective micro-displays, so that leaves LCD. If LCD is used it would require either the pulsing of RGB, or three seperate cube displays that are then converged. Not sure if LCD is fast enough to keep up with the pulsing of RGB to create a watchable image. Unless they come up with a totally new display tech to go integrate into the optics.

post #367 of 2167 Old 06-05-2011, 10:20 AM

Hehehe...

> Qumi Thread folk:

"What!? The Qumi is delayed again!!? Grrr, kill vivitek!"

> Vivitek:

"Check it out guys, a shiny fresnel cube or something with like, a LED in it. Discuss amongst yourselves."

> Qumi Thread folk:

"The Fly-View 2015 you say?! Can you just imagine! What were we angry about again?"

Just kidding guys. It actually is very interesting, just couldnt resist.

Now back to currently available products, like those new, affordable & Rollable 20ft. diagonal OLED thinscreens.

post #368 of 2167 Old 06-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Fresnel View Post

Hehehe...

> Qumi Thread folk:

"What!? The Qumi is delayed again!!? Grrr, kill vivitek!"

> Vivitek:

"Check it out guys, a shiny fresnel cube or something with like, a LED in it. Discuss amongst yourselves."

> Qumi Thread folk:

"The Fly-View 2015 you say?! Can you just imagine! What were we angry about again?"

Just kidding guys. It actually is very interesting, just couldnt resist.

Now back to currently available products, like those new, affordable & Rollable 20ft. diagonal OLED thinscreens.

LOL, yes we are getting a bit off topic here, don't know why that was posted to this thread or why I even replied to it. Nice diversion Vivitek. Now bring on the 20' roll of OLED!

post #369 of 2167 Old 06-05-2011, 06:32 PM

Lol funny that was me just bored looking through future led technology it literally feels like I've been waiting years for this qumi to be released. Understand that this will be my first projector ever, always wanted one but not until led technology got better and affordable. Check that i have owned a projector before that being the eyeclops yes I said it eyeclops and I thought it was pretty neat. I almost got the LG HX 350T but that price kept holding me off till I heard about the qumi. I know compared to the eyeclops the qumi will seem like a freaking actual theater. What is the lumens on the eyeclops anyway Like 2-3 here I go again veering of the qumi subject lol.
post #370 of 2167 Old 06-05-2011, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacmart View Post

Lol funny that was me just bored looking through future led technology it literally feels like I've been waiting years for this qumi to be released. Understand that this will be my first projector ever, always wanted one but not until led technology got better and affordable. Check that i have owned a projector before that being the eyeclops yes I said it eyeclops and I thought it was pretty neat. I almost got the LG HX 350T but that price kept holding me off till I heard about the qumi. I know compared to the eyeclops the qumi will seem like a freaking actual theater. What is the lumens on the eyeclops anyway Like 2-3 here I go again veering of the qumi subject lol.

Compared to an eyeclops, yes. Compared to a real HT projector, I'm starting to get the impression that the qumi falls well short. I would still love one for my bedroom or ps3 perhaps. I guess we will see about the lumens for serious HT stuff. Along with CR and black levels. Gotta wait for the reviews.
post #371 of 2167 Old 06-06-2011, 04:12 PM

https://www.facebook.com/video/video...50207361914236

Just posted on Vivitek's Facebook wall a 15 sec video clip of two people playing a baseball game but cant really see much they should do it in complete darkness but yeah hopefully its a lot brighter in person.
post #372 of 2167 Old 06-06-2011, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
unfortunately I would not expect it to be much brighter. With the lights off it will be better, but it is an ultra portable. This will not come close to their full size LED in terms of power.

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
post #373 of 2167 Old 06-06-2011, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacmart View Post

https://www.facebook.com/video/video...50207361914236

Just posted on Vivitek's Facebook wall a 15 sec video clip of two people playing a baseball game but cant really see much they should do it in complete darkness but yeah hopefully its a lot brighter in person.

It seems like hey could be a little more professional in their presentation. The projector is not square, the camera is out of focus and constantly shaking.

post #374 of 2167 Old 06-06-2011, 06:18 PM

Based on that video, it makes me wonder how much of "up to 300 lumens" will the Qumi actually display once calibrated. It'd be hilarious if it was in the 120 lumens range or something.
post #375 of 2167 Old 06-06-2011, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

a white table with 2 studio lamps pointing at it?that was not marketing vid,just behind the behind the scenes tease stuff .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfaYRJZ0ApU

(fifth element)
post #376 of 2167 Old 06-06-2011, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 262
The regis demo looks just as dim as that facebook photo.

it's going to generate a lot of returns and bad press if it doesn't crank out at least close to the claimed 300 lumens. That dim, small image didn't look too promising..

I am usually an early adopter and have this pre-ordered, but unless vivitek does something a little more to show this is a worthy $500 product, it might be time to let some other folks check it out first. Vivitek should send one to Art @ projectorreviews.com, he has done Pico reviews in the past if they aren't afraid to get put in the spotlight with real benchmark tests, lumen ratings, etc.

The first reviews are going to make or break this product.
post #377 of 2167 Old 06-06-2011, 08:12 PM

Might be the very reason why they didn't want to even send it out for reviews in the first place. Like someone has said previously, they might be riding on pure hype alone and hoping that the "portability" market will just learn to "live with it" with their purchase after receiving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

The regis demo looks just as dim as that facebook photo.

it's going to generate a lot of returns and bad press if it doesn't crank out at least close to the claimed 300 lumens. That dim, small image didn't look too promising..

I am usually an early adopter and have this pre-ordered, but unless vivitek does something a little more to show this is a worthy $500 product, it might be time to let some other folks check it out first. Vivitek should send one to Art @ projectorreviews.com, he has done Pico reviews in the past if they aren't afraid to get put in the spotlight with real benchmark tests, lumen ratings, etc.

The first reviews are going to make or break this product.

post #378 of 2167 Old 06-06-2011, 08:22 PM

It really makes you wonder. I mean if it really had enough light to fill an 80 inch screen with an HD picture and last 30k hours wouldn't people be willing to pay more for it than 499.00. Honestly I would be willing to pay a few hundred more. Maybe it's not as good as we think it is or hoped it would be. Perhaps the list price is indicative of that.
post #379 of 2167 Old 06-06-2011, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonWolf View Post

Might be the very reason why they didn't want to even send it out for reviews in the first place. Like someone has said previously, they might be riding on pure hype alone and hoping that the "portability" market will just learn to "live with it" with their purchase after receiving it.

For a 'break through' product using the new TI DLP chip and claiming the brightest LED output for a PICO projector, you would think there would be a dozen of these sent to the various projector review sites.

I am starting to think the hype machine is at work here, there is no real evidence that the projector is going to perform as advertised just 2 weeks before it hits the streets.

$500 has several options for those looking for inexpensive 720P projectors. the Acer 5360 or the new Optoma GT750 (due in august) fit this price range and crank out significantly more lumens. I use my Acer all the time for 2D and some 3D while I save the expensive lamp hours on my JVC RS50 for critical BD viewing. The Acer is a light cannon, small and the lamps are really cheap.

These are in a different category size wise of course, but bang for the buck might be much higher with a bright punchy image and lumens to spare.

The reason i wanted it was a solid 300 lumen LED projector to watch TV or news for short sessions and not worry about lamp hours. It has to perform though, 300 isn't much to begin with.
post #380 of 2167 Old 06-06-2011, 08:41 PM

Yeah I keep thinking that if its good they would have wanted everyone to know about it months ago to pick up more buyers.

It could be dim and really loud based on its size. I always wondered why they initially had 44db posted on their website.
post #381 of 2167 Old 06-06-2011, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

120 to 180 is what I expect this to put out calibrated unless they are overdrving the LEDs which I doubt. Most UHP and standard lamp pjs are about 50% of rated output. LEDs vary by company from about 60% all the way to 75% of rated output. IU get about 450 lumens from my Runco (Delta/Vivitek) Q-750 which is rated at 700. I consider this a pretty good amount since the Sim2 Mico 50 only gets about 475 to 500 lumens and is rated at 800.

Pico is not meant or designed to be a home theater projector. They do work fairly well, but portability is the main feature. If you want full HD LED at a cheap cost the CRE-X1000 on the other thread is an option... much higher, but full HD and LED.

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
post #382 of 2167 Old 06-06-2011, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

You guys are to much, They dont care about the HT crowd-they are going for the ipod/gadget crowd and the road warrior/presenter group and the vid. game kids.
Come to think of it this PJ has had more exposure than any other I have ever seen,
Regis and kelly,leo laport.

(fifth element)
post #383 of 2167 Old 06-06-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat View Post

You guys are to much, They dont care about the HT crowd-they are going for the ipod/gadget crowd and the road warrior/presenter group and the vid. game kids.
Come to think of it this PJ has had more exposure than any other I have ever seen,
Regis and kelly,leo laport.

Exactly since sales equals exposure.
I.e. a pj to keep the kids quiet when traveling instead of a fragile hdtv.

Maybe in a few more months?:
HT crowd? maybe with a 700 lumen 1080p Qumi?

DIY beats store purchased.
post #384 of 2167 Old 06-06-2011, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

This area is strange-the 1000 lumen samsung failed at around 900-1000$-yet the around 300 lumen lg sold for 600-700$-both 1024x768.And there is the casios which kinda get snubed on the HT boards but are selling so well it (casio) is getting in HT with new models coming-1080p cant be to hard to do so im sure its next from them.

(fifth element)
post #385 of 2167 Old 06-06-2011, 11:50 PM

If it's more suitable to gaming/kids then it would actually need much more lumens to suffice since it would be used with ambient light. You need less lumens for HT. It will never work for this crowd unless they want the display to be very small.

People keep forgetting that a bulb based projector, once calibrated for home theater (light controlled) only has about 500 lumens. Any more and you will blind yourself.

If it actually puts out 300 lumens it would work for HT with a little gain in the screen and slightly smaller screen size.
post #386 of 2167 Old 06-07-2011, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I own this little PJ called the optoma playtime pt100-50 lumens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCAa0...eature=related

and i own the m2-110 lumens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RvS_KLok4E

acer k11- 200 lumen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXNZfR8Ji8w
the qumi will do just fine

(fifth element)
post #387 of 2167 Old 06-07-2011, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

The good thing youtube has all these kid hooked on pj,s-the bad is there are 60 inch plasmas for 800$ and 70 inch for a few 1000$-in a few years FP HT will just be nostalgic.

(fifth element)
post #388 of 2167 Old 06-07-2011, 04:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The good thing youtube has all these kid hooked on pj,s-the bad is there are 60 inch plasmas for 800$ and 70 inch for a few 1000$-in a few years FP HT will just be nostalgic.

My wife would kill me if I hung a 120" plasma on the wall

While we're waiting for this thing to be released, what has viviteks other projectors been like? Problem free?

The optoma GT750 also sounds good for 3d, even if it's not led.

"Optoma's first projector with native support for common 3D-compatible sources such as the PS3, Blu-ray 3D players and 3D cable and set top boxes. Optoma says that the GT750 is compatible with all current 3D gaming formats and standards."

Link.
post #389 of 2167 Old 06-07-2011, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I own a LG HX300G (rated 270 lumens, 2.000:1 contrast ratio) and have been using it an average of 10~12 hours daily for the past 10 months (over 3.300 hours, for those counting); This pj uses the Luminus Devices LED chipset PT-54 (1024x768) which i would describe as the predecessor of this new Pico Chipset (1280x800) used in the Vivitek Qumi.
After reading some of the recent posts i decided to recheck both my recollections and math; According to test reports at Projector Central and at Projector Reviews the LG HX300G does indeed put out 250 lumens at its highest lamp setting, a figure that is very close to listed spec.
Considering the similarities of these LED chipsets which are BTW made by the same manufacturer i would expect the Vivitek Qumi to perform likewise : if the company is claiming 300 lumens and a contrast ratio of 2.500:1 it wouldn't surprise me that after calibration the user would get about 270 lumens...
I rechecked my figures with the screen calculator from Projector Central and according to it, using my current 1980's semi-curved silver, XX-high-gain (dealer claimed gain of 10.0, i could only estimate it up to 7.0 !), 76" diagonal screen, i am getting 49 ft-L ! Even if the screen gain was lowered to 5.0 that would still make it an image of 35 ft-L, which is still very/very bright. Sometimes depending on the amount of white shown onscreen it actually feels like it hurts my vision, as in too much brightness in too large an area, and depending on content i have to lower the lamp output from medium to low.
I realize my screen is rather small and exhibits a ridiculous gain but to my eyes, in my darkened room, it's comparable to a plasma image considering its figures of 35 ft-L and its implied minimum black level of 0.018 ft-L, compared to tested plasma and LCD displays at 30~35 ft-L and "Pioneer Kuro" black levels of 0.002 ft-L...Not too shabby, hmm ?
If this littlle Vivitek "beautE" performs as spec'd i would expect it to throw a beautiful image on a 92" diagonal 2.4 gain screen (14 ft-L, very close to THX recomendation) for only $500 plus cost of screen.
post #390 of 2167 Old 06-07-2011, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

there is a ceiling limit on TV sizes, there aren't going to be 100"+ TV's at an affordable price anytime soon. My current screen is 142" 16:9, 10 1/2 feet wide. It makes my 60" plasmas look like desktop monitors by comparison.

FP HT isn't going anywhere as long as people want massive screens.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Vivitek Qumi Q2 300 Lumen Wxga Hdmi 3d Ready Pocket Dlp Projector White

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page