post #451 of 2168 Old 06-11-2011, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat View Post

thats a epson Im pretty sure- thats MM,s response to you cant have it all ,blacks ,amb. light and big.

That picture is amazing lol. I got to find out what kind of projector that is. Most likely out of my price range but still would like to find out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2168 Old 06-11-2011, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
This is directed to "eat meat" on AVS forum, who "quoted" my post on controlled lighting for home theater:
Eat meat, I correct you when you say that I stated an absolute, when in fact I did not, I stated my personal opinion, which isn't an absolute, it is my own opinion (look up the difference if you are unsure of the definition, it's the difference between objective and subjective). You admonish me to be more careful with absolutes, lest it be turned around on me, well, I suggest that you be more informed and accurate as to what "absolutes" are compared to "opinions".
You pulled out a quote from my post, but you should have included the part where I wrote, ". . . in my opinion, someone who is not willing to darken a room for home theater, isn't really serious about having a movie theater experience at home", now my original post is right there, plain for everyone to go back and check if you doubt what I am now stating. If you, or others, are trying more for a TV setup, then that is a different goal and fine for you or anyone to pursue.
Really 'eat meat', I even wrote this next phrase specifically for clarity, but it seems that you didn't get the point: "Though admittedly dim in lumens compared directly to other bulb projectors, LED DLPs look wonderfully, smoothly cinematic in a dark environment". I did not state an absolute, what I expressed is all just my opinion, which everyone is entitled to an opinion, you are entitled to yours of course, whatever it is.
If hypothetically for example, a person might state that he or she believes that LED projectors are not appealing, then that person is not wrong about their own opinion.
As far as I believe, this whole forum is about communicating opinions about common interests. In case you have a particularly objectionable opinion about this reply, I sincerely appeal to all others reading these postings to post up their own opinions on what I state compared to your own views.
post #453 of 2168 Old 06-11-2011, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Really, are you trying to argue your opinion is not absolute ????

(fifth element)
post #454 of 2168 Old 06-11-2011, 01:36 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Curious this is! I believed that I couldn't have stated the difference between "opinion" versus "absolute" more clearly in the previous post. Anytime someone makes a statement, anything such as "I like", or "I think that . . ", such a statement is, by structure of the English language, an expression of opinion or preference, even if the person doesn't say, "in my opinion", it is implied that what was said is indeed of the person's opinion.
For example, if I stated this:
"I prefer the overall image quality of LED DLP projectors over any other technology I've seen."
Now, image if someone then asked,
"Oh, so you just said that you prefer the overall image quality of LED DLP projectors over any other technology you've seen" . . . is that your opinion?"
(Of course it's my opinion, that's why I said "I prefer . . .")
If someone's (for example your) opinion is to disagree with something I express, then that is only your opinion.
I do wish to answer your question as well, though, which is, "- am I trying to argue that my opinion is not absolute?" Answer: What I think, (and again this is merely what I think, my opionion), is that you are confusing the word "absolute" with the term "accurate".
It is indeed accurate that my opinion is that LED DLP images are the most pleasing of home theater projected images to me, but that does not mean that the belief is absolutely true for everyone, in all cases.
My opinion is true for me, and yes, to answer your question, of course I do believe that opinion completely, but I could not say correctly that the same opinion is true absolutely for everyone;
I would agree that it appears that we differ in our use of the term "absolute", which is an ok thing; people differ in opinions all the time. For me, the context of "an absolute" means "true for all cases, without limitations or exceptions"; well, clearly everyone else does not agree with me; you don't for one! To be as clear as I believe that I can be about this;
"In my opinion, it is necessary to control the ambient light in a home theater environment to achieve the best results, whether "control" means something as simple as just turning off a table lamp or blocking out whole windows".
Ironically, even when you caution me that I should be careful with absolutes . . . what do you mean by "should"? Do you mean I should always be careful with using "absolutes"? If so, then you just used an absolute by stating that I "should" (always)! Telling me that I "should" do something? That's ONLY your opinion. In the end, whatever concept of "absolute" and "opinion" that you or anyone else has is fine with me; everyone is entitled to an opinion, it just seems to me that you are flat out wrong as to your understanding and usage of "absolute" and "opinion".
You and I, and in fact everyone is entitled to an opinion, just expect rebuttals when you address something a person wrote, and state that someone "should" do something. Anyone else here in the forum having something to comment on this distinction, I welcome and appreciate your input.
--> Though, I admit that I have wandered off the topic of this forum, and differences of opinions on English language terms belong in an English language forum! I'll get back to the thread topic now, and furthermore, I'll keep comments on this thread to addressing the Vivitek Qumi, and related topics.
- I anticipate that the Vivitek Qumi, when (and if) it is actually released, and it performs as announced, will be a very nice value in a projector with a quite pleasing HD image quality, and have the benefit of not requiring replacement bulbs for its intended usefulness. I'd like to read other comments about the Vivitek Qumi, and other comparisons, on this post.
post #455 of 2168 Old 06-11-2011, 02:02 AM
AVS Special Member

The caveat "opinion" doesn't make the statement not a absolute.You either believe your statement or you dont.

(fifth element)
post #456 of 2168 Old 06-11-2011, 03:11 AM

Why are you guys writing in 'star wars' talk? Good job derailing a thread. Cant you take this up in PM? The rest of us want to get info on projectors. Not debate the definition of "quote".
post #457 of 2168 Old 06-11-2011, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

What projecting system is in that pic!?
post #458 of 2168 Old 06-11-2011, 10:47 AM

@ eatmeat

Thank you for the kworld Tuner suggestion. Seems to be 50% fine and 50% crappy depending on what reviews I read, but maybe the tuner in the LG will not be the best tuner in the universe either. Perhaps Poisonwolf can weigh in on this after he watches some tv on his.

@RonKnox

Edmund Scientific! man thats probably where I bought my first projector kit which as you correctly guessed is the reason for my screenname. I agree that it is best to have separate components and will further research Divco and others before I let the "TV Tuner" Feature cloud my judment any further.

@ Both of You

Looks to me like you are a pair of well opinionated, technologically seasoned, feisty SOBs who will cancel each other out. It is my Absolute Opinion that today is Saturday, so we should forget this junk and go have some beerz!

post #459 of 2168 Old 06-11-2011, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Hahahahaha
post #460 of 2168 Old 06-11-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I think i am wrong on what that pj is juke box, I think it is a 720p lcd panny-AX200u

(fifth element)
post #461 of 2168 Old 06-12-2011, 01:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Fresnel View Post

@ eatmeat

Absolute Opinion[/color] that today is Saturday, so we should forget this junk and go have some beerz!

I could sure go for some Mac & Jack

post #462 of 2168 Old 06-12-2011, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think i am wrong on what that pj is juke box, I think it is a 720p lcd panny-AX200u

Wow. A 720p can do that?
post #463 of 2168 Old 06-12-2011, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsims2719 View Post

Well I decided to cancel my order for the Qumi. Tired of waiting. I'm thinking its going to be another month before they ship. TD has the Acer 5360 on sale for the same price so I decided to jump on it. I think I will wait awhile for this new technology to mature a little. Maybe the Acer LED at 500 lumens will be available for the holidays and my wife can give it to me for Christmas. So long Vivitek.

That's what I did as well. The Acer isn't LED, but it has very long bulb life, very cheap bulbs, is very cheap, and does excellent 3D. The perfect second projector.

Robert Clark
post #464 of 2168 Old 06-13-2011, 03:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 39
...According to the shipping options weblink at BestBuy.com, " Vivitek Qumi estimated arrival time between 6/25 and 7/09/2011", so we'll see if that holds true...
post #465 of 2168 Old 06-13-2011, 07:11 AM

My Estimated arrival date is june 18 - july 15 from amazon I beleave some other buyers have a sooner date than that, well see. The Infocomm 2011 is over lets see if anything new pops up on the qumi.
post #466 of 2168 Old 06-13-2011, 05:35 PM

Regarding the 'behind the scenes' 15 second video shoot....
I suspect that the brightness level is falsely eroded in camera.. The handheld camera's exposure level is probably significantly affected by the light from the led studio lights, reducing the 'aperture' and giving low levels from the projected image on the screen/wall.

A professional video would cater for this, and use light levels at the screen and not the back of the studio. Just a hunch. we may not be disappointed after all.

Still no sign of any qumi stockists here in the uk....
post #467 of 2168 Old 06-13-2011, 06:45 PM

Seems that to-date not a single production unit has yet found its hands into a reviewer... that might mean a big issue (radioactive) and not a small one (Somali pirates).

Hmm.. are there any in-depth reviews of a pre-production unit at all ?? Not just Leo brushing by it on a table etc.

Maybe it's too good to be true... the Qumi might be our Duke Nuke'em Forever lol.

Regards,
Lex
post #468 of 2168 Old 06-13-2011, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexor View Post

Seems that to-date not a single production unit has yet found its hands into a reviewer... that might mean a big issue (radioactive) and not a small one (Somali pirates).

Hmm.. are there any in-depth reviews of a pre-production unit at all ?? Not just Leo brushing by it on a table etc.

Maybe it's too good to be true... the Qumi might be our Duke Nuke'em Forever lol.

Vivitek PR stated that there is a delay and that the first units will be going to customers who have pre-paid from online retailers such as Best Buy and Amazon. A pre-production unit was not given to any reviewers because they would not be an accurate representation of the final product. Vivitek PR said that the first unit is in their hands and they are using it to create the commercial videos, which you can see in the 15 second clip.

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Dual Stereo Integrity 18" Infinite Baffle
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________DIY Sound Group Volt 10
post #469 of 2168 Old 06-13-2011, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

the reviews are often quick and dirty for "non HT pj,s"just for example pj central,
The m2 fans never change rpm-and i have had 2 of em-and keystone is there-even on the remote.
Quote:

As the M2 is an LED projector, the only reasons to turn on low lamp mode would be to lower fan noise or reduce lumen output. Since there are not a lot of instances when 100 lumens would be too much light, and since the projector is not very noisy even in its full-power mode, we'd recommend just leaving it be.

Quote:

Digital Keystone: No

they say its not noisy lol it was preety frikin loud-now it isnt after some changes-new BB fans.
just sayin....

(fifth element)
post #470 of 2168 Old 06-14-2011, 05:41 AM

Hi guys!

I'm new to the forum... I just stumbled across it while researching pico projectors.

I've always loved projectors but they've been a bit expensive for me to invest in. I've just moved to a bigger house and have a bit more room, so I thought I'd make an entry in the this exciting world!

I was originally looking at something like the AAXA M2, but I found this forum, and I've been taken in by the Qumi hype!

I've been reading the forum for the last few days when I get time, but I'm pretty busy at the moment, so I figured I'd pop in and ask a few questions and try to borrow some of your knowledge!

My objective first and foremost is to be able to project a large image on my wall. Mostly at night, but I can also block out any natural light in the room fairly easily as there is only one window.

My main uses would be for watching movies, and tv shows, mostly run from my computer, however I'd also like to be able to watch sport from my satellite TV box, and after reading through this forum, I've become pretty keen on the idea of 3D TV!

3D is where I am getting a little lost.

The qumi seems great to me as it's portable, has a reasonable light output, does 720p (I love resolution, but can't afford a full HD right now), is LED based so doesn't require replacement lamps, it's somewhat 3D capable, and it looks sexy! Oh and, it's cheap!

My only real concern is how well it handles 3D, and what is required. Would the Acer H5360 be a better option, despite running on a bulb, if 3D is important to me?

What is the most cost effective way for me to be able to watch 3D movies, and 3D TV broadcasts? If I buy the Qumi, do I need to purchase a special video card, and run software from my computer, or purchase a physical box?

Obviously a need to purchase 3D glasses... what is the cheapest option?

If I had a 3D blu ray player, could use the Qumi to play 3D movies?

Could I use a digital set top box to watch free to air sport which is broadcast in 3D? Would I, or could I, use a HD tuner card in my PC to watch the free to air sport?

Sorry for all the ridiculous questions... hopefully one of you will get the gist of what I am trying to know, and fill me in with some useful info!

Looking forward to continuing to follow this thread to see everyone's reactions. I think I came along at a good point as I haven't had to wait for months like some of you!

Cheers!
post #471 of 2168 Old 06-14-2011, 11:42 AM

Any news on 120hz ?

Too bad CASIO isn't focusing on GAMER market yet, yet they should , WII U is coming.

How about giving up on LED's and shoot the DMD with 3 stacks of UV laser excited phosphor. Whew.
post #472 of 2168 Old 06-14-2011, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Optoma announced its alternative for September delivery, today. Is this the same one as the tiny, loud, not too bright, one in that PicoHD DLP booth video from CES?

News Release
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Optoma Technology: Roher Public Relations:
Teresa Moye Torin Roher
t: 510.897.8505 t: 818.887.8838
e: teresam@optoma.com e: troher@roherpr.com
OPTOMA LAUNCHES NEW 500 LUMEN
MOBILE LED PROJECTOR
ML500 Delivers Higher Resolution and
Superior Document Playback Options
FREMONT, Calif. | June 13, 2011 | Optoma, the world leader in mobile LED projector
technology, has introduced the ML500, a new 500 lumen LED projector designed for mobile
professionals and on-the-go presenters looking for a compact design and vivid LED
performance. Delivering images up to 180 inches in WXGA resolution, the ML500 incorporates
a built-in media viewer that provides playback of Microsoft Office documents, videos, and
images directly from the projector’s memory, eliminating the need for a connection to a
computer or other source component. The ML500 will be available in September at a price of
$699.
“We’ve entered a new era in portable projection technology, and Optoma has led that
charge,” said Jon Grodem, Optoma’s Sr. director of product and marketing. “The introduction of
the ML500 once again establishes the industry’s benchmark.”
According to Grodem, the ML500’s increased brightness, higher resolution, and
- MORE -
enhanced document playback capabilities highlight a dynamic and versatile package. While
documents can be stored on the projector’s 2GB of internal storage or through its SD card slot,
which supports up to 32GB, users can also connect any number of source components,
(laptops, Blu-ray players, and gaming systems) through the projector’s full complement of ports,
including, HDMI, VGA, USB, miniUSB, and composite video. A two-watt speaker provides
audio output.
Weighing in at less than 2.5 lbs. and measuring a compact 8.7”W x 1.7”H x 6.7’”D, the
ML500 supports the following video signals: NTSC, PAL, SDTV (480i), EDTV (480p). It also is
compatible with video file formats of H.264 (AVI, MOV, MP4, 3GP), MPEG4 (AVI), Xvid (AVI),
MJPEG (AVI), and image file compatibility includes JPEG and BMP. The audio file formats
supported include AAC, MP3, PCM, ADPCM, WMA, and the Microsoft Office viewer supports
Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, Excel, .txt, and Adobe pdf.
User controls are provided through an on-screen menu that provides support in 10
languages.
For more information on the ML500 and all Optoma projectors, go to
www.optomausa.com
Hi-res image and link
http://marketing.optomausa.com/image...L500_06_11.jpg
About Optoma Technology, Inc.
Optoma Technology, the number one supplier of DLP® projectors in North and South America,
delivers projectors and related accessories to consumers, businesses and educators, as well as
professional audio/video and Custom Installation channels. Optoma's product portfolio features
multimedia projectors for mobile or fixed installations, as well as home theaters.
©2011 Optoma Technology, Inc. Optoma names and logos are registered trademarks of Optoma Technology, Inc. Other product
names mentioned herein may be trademarks and/or registered trademarks of their respective companies and are hereby
recognized.
# # #
post #473 of 2168 Old 06-14-2011, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gain3 View Post

Any news on 120hz ?

Too bad CASIO isn't focusing on GAMER market yet, yet they should , WII U is coming.

How about giving up on LED's and shoot the DMD with 3 stacks of UV laser excited phosphor. Whew.

there are like 10 new hybreds(not green slim) from casio all are 3d.

(fifth element)
post #474 of 2168 Old 06-14-2011, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

ml 300 and ml500 optoma threads are started.

(fifth element)
post #475 of 2168 Old 06-14-2011, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Good didn't see them before posting the release.
post #476 of 2168 Old 06-14-2011, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Please stick to the thread topic; the Vivitek Qumi LED Projector.
post #477 of 2168 Old 06-14-2011, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

As soon as anyone receives their ordered Qumi, please post your review of the unit here and let us all know what you think of it. There seems to be some confusion on when it is actually being released.
post #478 of 2168 Old 06-14-2011, 04:56 PM

Well ProjectorPoint in the uk says... "Stock due week beginning 20th of June." !?!?

Btw the Qumi is quoted with a noise level of 44 db, is anyone a bit worried about that?
post #479 of 2168 Old 06-14-2011, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:

Leo Laporte ,Scott Wilkinson, online editor of UltimateAVmag.com and HomeTheaterMag.com podcast talk about the qumi at 58 mins
scott seemed impressed.
http://twit.cachefly.net/ttg0734.mp3
download is around 60 mb-or hear it in browser

Scott has access to big ticket items, so if he isn't trashing it, that's a bit of an endorsement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #480 of 2168 Old 06-14-2011, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine0 View Post

Well ProjectorPoint in the uk says... "Stock due week beginning 20th of June." !?!?

Btw the Qumi is quoted with a noise level of 44 db, is anyone a bit worried about that?

Here is the quoted noise level directly from the Vivitek qumi information page
"Noise Level 28dB/32dB (Standard / Boost Mode)"

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Dual Stereo Integrity 18" Infinite Baffle
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________DIY Sound Group Volt 10
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Vivitek Qumi Q2 300 Lumen Wxga Hdmi 3d Ready Pocket Dlp Projector White

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page