1Likes

post #631 of 2168 Old 07-05-2011, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KadMan View Post

Just received the official shipping notice from Amazon, including a FedEx overnight tracking number. Looking forward to having my Qumi in-hand tomorrow!

Ditto, I'll be sure to post some photos etc in the upcoming days. I have a Sanyo z5 so I plan on splitting the signal and doing some side by sides if the brightness is good enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2168 Old 07-05-2011, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

I would think a jump to 300-500 would be a big difference

Lumens need to quadruple in order to double the apparent brightness to our eyes. 300 to 500 might be perceivable to some, but it would likely take a light meter to account for the difference.

Quote:

Just received the official shipping notice from Amazon, including a FedEx overnight tracking number. Looking forward to having my Qumi in-hand tomorrow!

My May 7th order (black) just changed to 'Shipping soon' with a July 7th delivery date.

while the subjective opinions are going to come in fast and furious, I'll be providing accurate lumen output readings and also full calibration reports from Chromapure so others can see how close (or far off) the projector is from a D65 calibration.

It will be interesting to see how it compares on my 142" 2.8HP screen. Right now, my JVC RS50 is down to 360 lumens with a D65 calibration. With the 'pulsiing' of the LED's leading to a higher perceived brightness level, it will interesting to see how it competes.

I also have an HTPC / Nvidia GT430 / Win 7 / Nvidia 3D vision glasses setup for use with my Acer 5360. For kicks, I will see if I can get it to work with the non-DLP link 3D setup. I might have to spoof an INF file like was done with the Optoma projectors to get it to work with the Nvidia setup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #633 of 2168 Old 07-05-2011, 12:54 PM

i have yet to receive my notice i ordered the black on the 3rd im still looking
post #634 of 2168 Old 07-05-2011, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultureulterior View Post

Also, for the interested who don't want to look in the manual, the Qumi supports DLP-link and IR 3d glasses.

looks like they will get a nvidia cert. Did you see
Quote:

3d function is available in some models,not the entire qumi series

(fifth element)
post #635 of 2168 Old 07-05-2011, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Actually they flaunted it at CES, see the clips on youtube of the Asian American marketing guy doing a fairly hard sell on this 'super bright wondermachine'. I saw one at ISE later that month or was it first week of February, but it was next to a blend demo, so I more or less overlooked this tiny unit..
post #636 of 2168 Old 07-05-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat View Post

looks like they will get a nvidia cert. Did you see

Yeah possibly, although I hear Nvidia charges for certification.

I'll be interested in finding out which is the more reliable for gaming, dlp link or 3d vision.
post #637 of 2168 Old 07-05-2011, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I had asked Vivitek reps if the Qumi could focus beyond the published range, specifically could it focus in the range from 12 to 14 feet distance, and I just got this reply from Vivitek on their Facebook page:
-> Vivitek wrote: "Sorry about the delay - we were out celebrating the Fourth of July yesterday. We tested this internally, and it can focus at a distance of 12-14 feet; but please note that this is a portable, pocket projector and not meant for large screens and those types of distances. Plus, it is a WXGA (16:10 ratio)."

I would be filling a 120" diagonal 16:10 screen, so according to ProjectorCentral's projection calculator, the Qumi would be 13ft 7 inches from the screen for 120" diagonal, 16:10. If you haven't already used the projection calculator yet, it's very useful; you select the make and model of a projector at this link:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Vivi...ulator-pro.htm
post #638 of 2168 Old 07-05-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKnox View Post

I had asked Vivitek reps if the Qumi could focus beyond the published range, specifically could it focus in the range from 12 to 14 feet distance, and I just got this reply from Vivitek on their Facebook page:
-> Vivitek wrote: "Sorry about the delay - we were out celebrating the Fourth of July yesterday. We tested this internally, and it can focus at a distance of 12-14 feet; but please note that this is a portable, pocket projector and not meant for large screens and those types of distances. Plus, it is a WXGA (16:10 ratio)."

I would be filling a 120" diagonal 16:10 screen, so according to ProjectorCentral's projection calculator, the Qumi would be 13ft 7 inches from the screen for 120" diagonal, 16:10. If you haven't already used the projection calculator yet, it's very useful; you select the make and model of a projector at this link:

Even my Optoma PK301 produces a reasonably sharp image in very dark conditions at 150" (no, not a typo). I'd be shocked if the Qumi couldn't do the same. I'll probably test on a 120" screen tomorrow night, so I'll report back with my real world tests.
post #639 of 2168 Old 07-05-2011, 07:41 PM

Like MCaugusto wrote on another thread, sometimes by going over the recommended screen size, the pj can still focus but the individual pixels will hv a fuzzier look.

A cause for concern in regards to the Qumi. But whoever gets their hands on one first... check it out! Thx!
post #640 of 2168 Old 07-05-2011, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKnox View Post

My Acer 5360 is almost the same exact throw distance as the Vivitek will be to the 142" Dalite screen. The Acer must be tilted quite a bit at center screen (for the HP) and causes automatic keystone to kick in.

It looks like the QUMI is a straight shot at the center of the screen? That would be ideal for a shelf mount for those looking to use a High Power screen.

Please verify if some of you guys get your tomorrow. Mine won't be here until Thursday. thanks

post #641 of 2168 Old 07-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

My Acer 5360 is almost the same exact throw distance as the Vivitek will be to the 142" Dalite screen. The Acer must be tilted quite a bit at center screen (for the HP) and causes automatic keystone to kick in.

It looks like the QUMI is a straight shot at the center of the screen? That would be ideal for a shelf mount for those looking to use a High Power screen.

Please verify if some of you guys get your tomorrow. Mine won't be here until Thursday. thanks

No, not a straight shot, it has 102.5% lens offset. The projector will need to be slightly above or below the screen edge.

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Paradigm PS-1200 Sub
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________Polk bookshelf for Surrounds
post #642 of 2168 Old 07-05-2011, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson View Post

No, not a straight shot, it has 102.5% lens offset. The projector will need to be slightly above or below the screen edge.

sounds similar to my Acer. When it's centered, it's keystones to correct the angle of tilt necessary to square the image on the screen.

considering this is a table top projector, I am wondering why they didn't make it more of a straight shot.

post #643 of 2168 Old 07-06-2011, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
sounds similar to my Acer. When it's centered, it's keystones to correct the angle of tilt necessary to square the image on the screen.

considering this is a table top projector, I am wondering why they didn't make it more of a straight shot.
Well if the projector is centered to the screen and sitting on top of a table, the table would be blocking the bottom half of the screen from view because the bottom edge of the screen would be at floor level.

post #644 of 2168 Old 07-06-2011, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacmart View Post
i have yet to receive my notice i ordered the black on the 3rd im still looking
Yes, same situation I'm in. I ordered from BB instead of Amazon, guess Amazon is a bit faster getting their orders filled.

post #645 of 2168 Old 07-06-2011, 06:36 AM

As of this moment, the White Qumi shows as in stock with 8 units left at Amazon and the Black Qumi shows as "Ships in 2-4 weeks."

Edit to add that mine is on a FedEx truck and out for delivery.
post #646 of 2168 Old 07-06-2011, 06:53 AM

It really would suck if Amazon got all the 1st shipment and those of us that ordered from Bestbuy is going to have to wait.
post #647 of 2168 Old 07-06-2011, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
As of this moment, the White Qumi shows as in stock with 8 units left at Amazon and the Black Qumi shows as "Ships in 2-4 weeks."

Do you have any other projectors for comparison? My Amazon order still shows 'shipping soon' with July 7th delivery so it should be processed later today.

it seems the black model was the popular order.

post #648 of 2168 Old 07-06-2011, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Lumens need to quadruple in order to double the apparent brightness to our eyes. 300 to 500 might be perceivable to some, but it would likely take a light meter to account for the difference.
Twice as bright is a LOT.

The 20 - 25% increase from switching from low to high lamp power is visible, and if too dim to begin with, an appreciable improvement.

Noah
post #649 of 2168 Old 07-06-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Do you have any other projectors for comparison? My Amazon order still shows 'shipping soon' with July 7th delivery so it should be processed later today.

it seems the black model was the popular order.
I have two other projectors but neither serve as good comparison points. One is an Optoma PK301 at 50 lumens. The other is my (very) aging InFocus ScreenPlay 4805. I think it's at about 600 lumens or so. Will compare nonetheless.
post #650 of 2168 Old 07-06-2011, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Twice as bright is a LOT.

The 20 - 25% increase from switching from low to high lamp power is visible, and if too dim to begin with, an appreciable improvement.
I'll never turn down more lumens, so I agree more is always better. My RS50 is down to 360 lumens because the lamps JVC used this year are crap. If it wasn't for my 2.8HP screen, i'd be more bent about it than I already am.

I hope the shift continues towards LED in the next few years. dimming $400 UHP lamps in expensive projectors is getting old.

post #651 of 2168 Old 07-06-2011, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Congrats!! Can't wait to hear about it.

Mike

The Mayans were full of sh*t!!!
post #652 of 2168 Old 07-06-2011, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

@zombie10k

My parents are currently viewing an old Sanyo Z2 on a 143" DIY MaxxMud screen. I am not sure what the gain on this screen is, but would like to hear how the Qumi performs on your 142". It would be great if they could replace their projector for a little more than the price of a new bulb.

post #653 of 2168 Old 07-06-2011, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson View Post
@zombie10k

My parents are currently viewing an old Sanyo Z2 on a 143" DIY MaxxMud screen. I am not sure what the gain on this screen is, but would like to hear how the Qumi performs on your 142". It would be great if they could replace their projector for a little more than the price of a new bulb.
the only issue is, the QUMI isn't a straight shot so using it with my HP will require a sharp angled tilt at center screen (like I have to do with my Acer 5360) so I can get max gain on the screen. I don't really mind the keystone when watching TV or movies, it's not that obvious.

If it works ok, the QUMI is mainly for short viewing times (1 hour or less) so I don't waste the expensive lamp hours on my JVC for basic TV viewing. This is what I used my Acer for now since the lamp is dirt cheap, but the RBE drives me nuts sometime with the slow 2x color wheel.

post #654 of 2168 Old 07-06-2011, 09:23 AM

I just got out of a meeting (I work from home) and when I opened the door to my office, I saw an Amazon box sitting on the kitchen table. Sure enough, my Qumi was inside. I posted a pic on the Vivitek Facebook page. I won't get a chance to put it through it's paces until tonight after work.
post #655 of 2168 Old 07-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

the only issue is, the QUMI isn't a straight shot so using it with my HP will require a sharp angled tilt at center screen (like I have to do with my Acer 5360) so I can get max gain on the screen. I don't really mind the keystone when watching TV or movies, it's not that obvious.

If it works ok, the QUMI is mainly for short viewing times (1 hour or less) so I don't waste the expensive lamp hours on my JVC for basic TV viewing. This is what I used my Acer for now since the lamp is dirt cheap, but the RBE drives me nuts sometime with the slow 2x color wheel.

I believe the acer has a higher offset than the qumi. I read somewhere that the acer has 112% offset which requires the projector to be approximately 9" above or below 142" screen to get a proper distortion free image. The Qumi requires just 1.875" above or below a 142" screen.

post #656 of 2168 Old 07-06-2011, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just got out of a meeting (I work from home) and when I opened the door to my office, I saw an Amazon box sitting on the kitchen table. Sure enough, my Qumi was inside. I posted a pic on the Vivitek Facebook page. I won't get a chance to put it through it's paces until tonight after work.

it's funny that one guy on their FB site was bellyaching that they weren't in stock, then canceled his pre-order. Then they start filling the pre-orders later in the day and 8 white models were available today.

My May 7th order for black still says 'shipping soon' with a July 7th delivery. Hopefully it will ship later today.

Do you have a decent camera to take a few screenshots?

post #657 of 2168 Old 07-06-2011, 09:58 AM

Congrats KadMan! Looking forward to seeing u putting it through the paces!
post #658 of 2168 Old 07-06-2011, 10:38 AM

I scrambled at lunch time to put together a quick & dirty unboxing video. It has little to no technical value but I know some are interested in seeing what comes in the box. Excuse the low quality and hasty editing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK63EQtRGVI
post #659 of 2168 Old 07-06-2011, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

I scrambled at lunch time to put together a quick & dirty unboxing video. It has little to no technical value but I know some are interested in seeing what comes in the box. Excuse the low quality and hasty editing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK63EQtRGVI

Excellent video Kadman showing what to expect in the box. Can't wait to hear about it when you get it fired up and have had time to play with it later.

Thanks,
Mike

The Mayans were full of sh*t!!!
post #660 of 2168 Old 07-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the video kadman. I did not see you pull out any 30 pin adapters from the box, it was supposed to come with one according to the product page. Maybe they decided not to include it?

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Vivitek Qumi Q2 300 Lumen Wxga Hdmi 3d Ready Pocket Dlp Projector White

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page