3D BLU-RAY with the Qumi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 2168 Old 07-09-2011, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi im new to this so please answer me, please! Im thinking of getting the qumi but wish to know if it can do warpalizer or edge blending with 2 of these babies. Thx.
post #873 of 2168 Old 07-09-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonahunjan View Post

hi im new to this so please answer me, please! Im thinking of getting the qumi but wish to know if it can do warpalizer or edge blending with 2 of these babies. Thx.

from gamewarping.com:

This is all you need:

1, 2 or 3 projectors of any kind
A screen of any shape
A PC with a 2 or 3 channels Graphic Board
The Warpalizer
post #874 of 2168 Old 07-09-2011, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 16
There's a clip on youtube using three LGs and warpalizer.
post #875 of 2168 Old 07-09-2011, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post

No it is to get the required nominal resolution at lower badwidth requirements and cost. These tine chips have no woble, don't think TI makes any woblers anymore.

Filling the pixel gaps give the appearance of higher resolution, that's why they call it Smoothpicture. The patent is to fill the gaps.
post #876 of 2168 Old 07-09-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyar View Post

from gamewarping.com:

This is all you need:

1, 2 or 3 projectors of any kind
A screen of any shape
A PC with a 2 or 3 channels Graphic Board
The Warpalizer

Can you do this with movies too off your computer?Thx for your help.
post #877 of 2168 Old 07-09-2011, 07:18 PM

Liked: 12
Hi All

Well I was hoping my Qumi would be here today (NOT), so I'll have to wait till Monday. I have been sold on the Qumi since January, I've been checking this thread/my E-Mail daily as to status of the Qumi.

I see a lot of people got it (jealous), but I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of videos/screens shots on this thread. Except the pictures taken by Zombie 10K (Dude nice pictures) and looking forward to more detail from him.

At first, I planed to stay out of the fray (figuring all details would be hit to the Nth degree by the time I got mine) but changed my mind. Some here know me from the LG HS201 thread and I plan to follow the same path in my “Nobody’s” $.02 worth perception, so let me start be giving some background.

I'm 53, my ears ring, and I tend to be a bit thrifty. My set up is, a Da-lite High Gain screen (2.8), a room that I have total light control over, a LG BD 550 BD player, an Onkyo (1200 W 7:1) 5300 HTIB and have a HTPC I built (after my first blew up after rearranging my room), this computer is a dual core AMD running @ 3.2G, 512 Mbt ATI video, 1.5Tbt hard drive, 4G of memory with HDMI video out.

I will be using the Qumi with everything stated above, I will be taking pictures with a Nikon power shot A1000 off a tripod using a delay (to remove any picture quality issues associated with hand movement) and screen size will be 100 to 110 inch (Diag).

My projector experience (so things can be put in prospective) is. Started with an Infocuse X1, after color wheel cooked moved on to the Infocuse IN 26, after a plastic lens melted moved on to the LG HS 201 (where I am today). I still like my 201 and didn't make the move to the HX 300 (not enough bang for the buck (thrifty thing) and wanted true 720P). So I've had the 201 since 12/09 till today, the 201 cost me $499 (and because I am a very heavy user, it has already paid for it's self vs bulb cost) and am happy that 20 months later I'll be getting a projector with 50% more brightness, 25% better contrast, and @ 1280X800 vs 800X600 and true 720P for the same price.

I hope/plan to do some side by side between the Qumi/Hs 201(using an HDMI splitter), using DVD, BD disk, and HDTV on my HTPC via USB tuner stick. Last year I took a lot of pictures using the 201 using many formats, BD,DVD, HTPC, USB HDTV ( I won't re-post them, just check page 2-8/9 of the 201 thread to see them).

Well, enough for now, let the FUN begin

AFM
post #878 of 2168 Old 07-09-2011, 07:54 PM

I received my Qumi yesterday and played with it last night. Here are my observations:
Pros:
- Small footprint, portable
- Good resolution an no visible screen door
- No blur in fast movement
- Decent brightness at 110" on DIY screen wit gain of 1
- Somewhat quiet (compared to my old Eiki 1600T)
- Low price for LED with ~300 Lumens
Cons:
- Cannot focus - lower half of the screen is focused, but the upper half is out of focus. The focus ring is at the max position.
- Colors look unnatural - I tried every setting and I cannot get them right. There is no individual RGB setting. Oversaturated colors.
- Horrible shadow details - it is worst then my notebook LCD screen. Even my IF4805 has better shadow details. I played with the settings and got it to look ok, but still not what I would expect.
- I see rainbows without looking for them. I cannot see them on Eiki or the IF4805 (unless I look for them and make weird eye movements)

I do not know if my unit is defective or all units behave like this, but the focus issue bothers me. I do not think I can replace Eiki 1600T with this projector as my main projector. It's just not that good. The best use I see is to watch sports or take it with me to friends houses and plug my iphone or ipad.
Anyone else have problems with the focus?
post #879 of 2168 Old 07-09-2011, 10:17 PM

Speedy123 - Are you using the Qumi with a PC or with a standalone player/device? Perhaps the color saturation could be improved with some tweaking when playing content from a HTPC?
Did you change the Gamma settings someone else mentioned that made a real difference?
The focus issue you mentioned sounds strange, most others are finding they are able to focus using a 140-150" image size.

Thanks for your quick review

See Snakeman's post from yesterday regarding the color and contrast.

ok so after putting in a test bluray the Colorchart and grey scale show that the stock contrast is set way too high. the gamma was also off with yellow having a green cast colors were oversaturated.

here are my new settings:

1) bluray player set to 1080p/24hz with rgb enhanced colorspace
2) output used;hdmi

QUMI:

BRIGHTNESS: 50
CONTRAST:28 (TURNED WAY DOWN)
SHARPNESS :24 (turned way up)
GAMMA:PC (very important setting on qumi)
post #880 of 2168 Old 07-10-2011, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 392
I tried compressing a chapter of a bluray and sized it to 1280x720 in handbrake. For some reason, the built in player from the microSD card is stretching it to 1280x800.

This is still on the 142" 2.8HP screen. I wish there was a service menu so we can tone down the saturation just a bit. The brilliant color icon is grayed out, i can't find a way to turrn it off in any mode. Also can't get into the 3D menu, it's also grayed out as well.

post #881 of 2168 Old 07-10-2011, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I tried compressing a chapter of a bluray and sized it to 1280x720 in handbrake. For some reason, the built in player from the microSD card is stretching it to 1280x800.

This is still on the 142" 2.8HP screen. I wish there was a service menu so we can tone down the saturation just a bit. The brilliant color icon is grayed out, i can't find a way to turrn it off in any mode. Also can't get into the 3D menu, it's also grayed out as well.

So this means the 3D playback is just a hoax....or we have to wait for driver/new graphics card i suppose....nyways the brrips look good...so this thing should not be an icebreaker for me, need this one for watching DVD/BRRIPs and TV seasons...
post #882 of 2168 Old 07-10-2011, 03:28 AM

your photos are the best zombie, how about posting some reviews on youtube also???
post #883 of 2168 Old 07-10-2011, 05:42 AM

Quote:

hell yeahhh, im ordering mine tomorrow, pictures are so awesome
post #884 of 2168 Old 07-10-2011, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Guys >>> I find it interesting that all of these threads concerning the impressions from owners of the Qumi, not a single one mentioned or referred to the pj being properly set-up as recommended in the owner's manual : on a screen no bigger than 90" diagonal with the projector placed a little lower than the bottom of screen (the opposite for celing mount) so as to avoid any keystone correction.
I've been reading complaints/disappointments concerning unfocused image, white highlights/shadows surround the image, poor text display from computer, poor contrast, greenish gamma, etc, etc.
How about simply setting up the Qumi on a screen as recommended and connect it to a stand-alone blu-ray player via HDMI - not a blu-ray drive from computer due to HDMI "handshake" issues - then calibrating it to your screen (not a white wall) using the $25 Spears & Munsil blu-ray test disc ?
I think that would truly ascertain the qualities of this pj; I am amazed that the pictures posted here on a 140" diagonal screen still manage to look so good considering the size of the projected image, and all of that coming from a $500 presentation pj that uses what some snobs would call "Mickey Mouse lens", so i think you guys need to cut this pj a lot of slack.
Therefore, could one of you owners of the Qumi and a screen please, please move that bantam-weight pj a little closer to the screen (90" diagonal image), place it as recommended and calibrate it to the best of your capabilities, then upload some more photos ?
TX, much appreciated....
post #885 of 2168 Old 07-10-2011, 06:48 AM

MRBADCRC - I use HTPC and you are right I can adjust the settings from the PC. Thanks for the posted settings, here are mine:

BRIGHTNESS: 58 - Any lower and shadow details are lost
CONTRAST:35
SHARPNESS :20
GAMMA:PC - seems to be the best

The focus issue is the one I'm worried about, as it is mechanical in nature. I also tried the suggestion from MCaugusto and moved the projector closer - same problem with the focus. The lower half of the screen has the perfect focus and the upper half the text look blurry.
If no one else has this issue I would assume that mine is defective and will return it for replacement with Amazon. Hopefully the new one will not have focus issue.
post #886 of 2168 Old 07-10-2011, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

Guys >>> I find it interesting that all of these threads concerning the impressions from owners of the Qumi, not a single one mentioned or referred to the pj being properly set-up as recommended in the owner's manual : on a screen no bigger than 90" diagonal with the projector placed a little lower than the bottom of screen (the opposite for celing mount) so as to avoid any keystone correction.
I've been reading complaints/disappointments concerning unfocused image, white highlights/shadows surround the image, poor text display from computer, poor contrast, greenish gamma, etc, etc.

good point! was keystone enabled on this horrid looking text screenshot? coz this screenshot is a major deal breaker for me, huh. Hopefully it was run in native res too? and the sharpness was set to its most neutral position as well?

here's a test pattern to ensure that you have 1:1 scaling in 1280*800:
post #887 of 2168 Old 07-10-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy123 View Post

MRBADCRC - I use HTPC and you are right I can adjust the settings from the PC. Thanks for the posted settings, here are mine:

BRIGHTNESS: 58 - Any lower and shadow details are lost
CONTRAST:35
SHARPNESS :20
GAMMA:PC - seems to be the best

The focus issue is the one I'm worried about, as it is mechanical in nature. I also tried the suggestion from MCaugusto and moved the projector closer - same problem with the focus. The lower half of the screen has the perfect focus and the upper half the text look blurry.
If no one else has this issue I would assume that mine is defective and will return it for replacement with Amazon. Hopefully the new one will not have focus issue.

Speedy, I definitely see the focus issue as well. This was using a PC source on an 80" screen. I also tried reducing image size but I can still see the effect. What I can do is find the right balance to make the entire screen clear, but if I really concentrate on making one area razor sharp, another area will start getting fuzzy. Not sure why others aren't responding on this other than possibly it's a matter of source. If you're watching a movie, slightly out of focus away from center is something you wouldn't really notice.
post #888 of 2168 Old 07-10-2011, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Text is going to look like crap from 3 feet away with diag pixels. Naming things like the screen size is a very pseudo tech support move.

Still not sure why so many people are asking for pictures, they are generally not an accurate representation at all to what you are seeing.
post #889 of 2168 Old 07-10-2011, 09:37 AM

The focus issue doesn't impact watching a movie, but it is a definately a problem using the projector for presentations. I'm just trying to figure out how widespread is the issue. If it's just few units I will take my chances to get a replacement, but if a lot more units suffer then Vivitek should be notified.
KadMan, are you going to exchange yours or the focus issue doesn't bother you?
post #890 of 2168 Old 07-10-2011, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesterjive View Post

your photos are the best zombie, how about posting some reviews on youtube also???

I'm not much a video reviewer but I don't mind taking some photos from my Nikon SLR's. I would want to repeat not to take much from my screenshots. There are many variables including the camera itself, the display you are seeing the photos on, etc. They are fun to look at but should never be used to judged how the projector will look in your particular environments.

The diamond pixels definitely aren't ideal for displaying text, but I don't see an issue with this as normal sitting distance from the screen. Windows desktop looks acceptable, it's going to depend on the owners expectations.

I love a bright picture and owned many screens in years past, but my 2.8HP is my favorite if you can live with the projector placement and viewing cone of maximum gain. I will watch the QUMI on the 142" screen (lights out on the room) and quite satisfied with the brightness since I am getting max gain. However I am not crazy about on a white painted wall at 80".

I am thinking of ordering a 92" 2.4HP which i think will be perfect for the QUMI with some ambient lighting in an office area that I want to use for quick on/off TV viewing.

There are a number of things I wish were different such as better controls over the color. I am hoping someone stumbles upon a service menu. If anyone is on FB, maybe ask the vivitek guy to find out from the engineers if there is a service menu. I'd like to tone down the saturation just a bit.

Coming from the JVC projector which is near HT nirvana for color, sharpness and best in class black levels, this little box the size of a hard drive is a modern marvel of technology. I can't wait for the 500 lumen models to come out, they will be just the right jump in lumens especially if someone has or is considering the HP screen.
post #891 of 2168 Old 07-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm not much a video reviewer but I don't mind taking some photos from my Nikon SLR's. I would want to repeat not to take much from my screenshots. There are many variables including the camera itself, the display you are seeing the photos on, etc. They are fun to look at but should never be used to judged how the projector will look in your particular environments.

Don't feel like you have to take more photos or video. The pictures that you took are appreciated and do a good job of showing how good the projector could look. As you know, anyone that has owned enough projectors/displays and spent enough time on this forum should know by now that screenshots will not tell you what the picture looks like in person.

Screenshots usually: A. Make the picture look better than it actually looks or B. Make it look worse. Sometimes they can be helpful to point out an obvious flaw or artifact, but it is very, very rare that they faithfully represent the overall picture quality.

So thanks again for all your feedback, but don't feel obligated to capture more images for the people on this forum that haven't realized the futility in screenshots.
post #892 of 2168 Old 07-10-2011, 10:43 AM

Yep I'm seeing it as well. You can strike a balance however now the very top and the very bottom are not razer sharp just the middle. However I do recall my acer k11 doing the same thing. I'm not sure if I will keep or return and just get the casio.. The picture still looks good inspite of the strange diamond pixels which yes are not conducive to text from a pc, because honestly inspite of the low res of the k11 I thought it looked better with pc crap than the qumi..
post #893 of 2168 Old 07-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi there I have been reading
http://www.vivitekusa.com/v_vivitek3d.asp

seems the qumi q2 only supports 3d if the resolution is xga or svga.
so
svga
800X600@120hz or
xga
1024x768@120hz

It seems 1280X720p@120hz is not a supported mode.

If anyone can check please set your display to svga or xga@120hz and see if the options are still greyed out for 3d.
post #894 of 2168 Old 07-10-2011, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post

Screenshots usually: A. Make the picture look better than it actually looks or B. Make it look worse. Sometimes they can be helpful to point out an obvious flaw or artifact, but it is very, very rare that they faithfully represent the overall picture quality.

So thanks again for all your feedback, but don't feel obligated to capture more images for the people on this forum that haven't realized the futility in screenshots.

agreed, especially on point A. Even with my Nikon D300 it's near impossible to capture the exact exposure that shows the correct black levels and contrast. I can show photos of my older 3 LCD Mitsubishi HC5500 which had just average black levels and the photos looks like a million bucks.

I assure you guys that no one would mistake the QUMI for the JVC in my HT setup but that isn't to take anything away from this small projector. For something that can be carried around and run movies from a MicroSD card is remarkable technology, especially since the LED's won't dim for some time come.

I am looking forward to the next generation of these small projectors.
post #895 of 2168 Old 07-10-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy123 View Post

The focus issue doesn't impact watching a movie, but it is a definately a problem using the projector for presentations. I'm just trying to figure out how widespread is the issue. If it's just few units I will take my chances to get a replacement, but if a lot more units suffer then Vivitek should be notified.
KadMan, are you going to exchange yours or the focus issue doesn't bother you?

First I'll wait to see if this is the norm, is just with PC connectivity, etc. Once I understand the magnitude, then I'll decide what my next action is. Would be nice to have razor sharp text edge to edge, but I primarily purchased this for video content and it's less critical for that.
post #896 of 2168 Old 07-10-2011, 12:01 PM

I am having no problems at approx 85"

its tack sharp but i have it set up per the instructions with projector just below viewing area - no keystone to fix.

only issue is stil a little oversaturated and still just a little green cast showing on color chart

still playing with brightness vs contrast to get it just right

for a tiny box that cost $500 and throws a bright 85" image and has no bulb it sure aint bad !

hell for this price i will upgrade in a year or 2 and not worry about anything

remember when flat screens were $4000 for a 40" and everyone was happy ?

well this thing is $500 - you can upgrade 8x sooner !
post #897 of 2168 Old 07-10-2011, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I am also having a little trouble with the focus. It seems like I get one area in focus, then another area is slightly out. I just try to set it so that the majority of the image is in focus. I have had a hard time trying to get the projector to sit square to the screen, and have attributed some of the focus issues to that.

Last night I took the projector to my Aunt's, we had a pool party and afterwards I set up the projector to watch a movie. I took a white, full size, sheet and nailed it to the side of the cabin. I connected the Qumi to a set of powered computer speakers, I used the usb on the Qumi to power them, and then connected my iPhone 4 with the HDMI adapter. We watched a 720p BR rip of Despicable Me at approximately 120" and everyone loved it! I had to use a little Keystone correction, the sheet was not perfectly stretched, and the bottom foot of the screen was slightly out of focus, but overall it was very watchable under those conditions. Now everybody wants a Qumi!

I admit that it does have some shortfalls.

1. There seems to be a very dim circle of light around the projected image, it is not noticable unless you are projecting on a white wall or ceiling.

2. It has an odd pixel structure, not he horizontal lines that I am used to, but movies do not seem to be adversely affected by this.

3. Very limited options for color control. Colors look good, but would like to be able to tweak them.

4. No way to remotely power up the projector. This is the biggie for me because I am lazy and like to use the remote when possible, plus it is very easy to throw the projector out of alignment when using the power button if you have it mounted.

I plan to purchase a camera tripod, and a couple of security camera wall mounts to use with the Qumi. I will place one mount in the bedroom, one in the game room, and use the tripod for movie viewing on the go. I love the fact that when the movie is done playing I can just shut it off, unplug it and throw it in the travel case and go.

I would mount this in the living room, but I want to keep the Qumi portable. I have decided to keep my bulb projector mounted in the living room for now. I may look at the 500 lumen PJs coming out in the next few months, hope they solve some of the issues I have with the Qumi.

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Dual Stereo Integrity 18" Infinite Baffle
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________DIY Sound Group Volt 10
post #898 of 2168 Old 07-10-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeman View Post

I am having no problems at approx 85"

its tack sharp but i have it set up per the instructions with projector just below viewing area - no keystone to fix.

only issue is stil a little oversaturated and still just a little green cast showing on color chart

still playing with brightness vs contrast to get it just right

for a tiny box that cost $500 and throws a bright 85" image and has no bulb it sure aint bad !

hell for this price i will upgrade in a year or 2 and not worry about anything

remember when flat screens were $4000 for a 40" and everyone was happy ?

well this thing is $500 - you can upgrade 8x sooner !

I'm setting it up correctly also. In fact I had asked Vivitek what the offset was a few weeks ago on their FB page, so I knew what to expect in terms of setup. What source are you using when you're getting the tack sharp results across the entire screen?

I may try another laptop I have that has an HDMI out to see if I get different results. I doubt it, as it seems to be a physical focus affect.
post #899 of 2168 Old 07-10-2011, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

How about simply setting up the Qumi on a screen as recommended and connect it to a stand-alone blu-ray player via HDMI - not a blu-ray drive from computer due to HDMI "handshake" issues - then calibrating it to your screen (not a white wall) using the $25 Spears & Munsil blu-ray test disc ?
I think that would truly ascertain the qualities of this pj; I am amazed that the pictures posted here on a 140" diagonal screen still manage to look so good considering the size of the projected image, and all of that coming from a $500 presentation pj that uses what some snobs would call "Mickey Mouse lens", so i think you guys need to cut this pj a lot of slack.
Therefore, could one of you owners of the Qumi and a screen please, please move that bantam-weight pj a little closer to the screen (90" diagonal image), place it as recommended and calibrate it to the best of your capabilities, then upload some more photos ?
TX, much appreciated....

I bet most people giving their first impressions of their Qumi are using the screen that they already own. They are not going to go out of their way to satisfy everyone or buy a new screen.
post #900 of 2168 Old 07-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

There is an option in the menu to select several different viewing prefferences such as: 16:9, fill, 4:3, etc... Have you tried changing these when viewing movies from the player? I have not transcoded anything into the proper format yet to try it myself. The few video clips that I have put on my microSD card have not been recognized, not sure if I even have the card formated correctly, it's FAT32.

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Dual Stereo Integrity 18" Infinite Baffle
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________DIY Sound Group Volt 10
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Vivitek Qumi Q2 300 Lumen Wxga Hdmi 3d Ready Pocket Dlp Projector White

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page