post #991 of 2168 Old 07-13-2011, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsims2719 View Post
Zombie10k, I would really like to learn how to calibrate a projector. What equipment and software did you use. Where is the best place to read up on it? Thanks
I would recommend reading Kal's primers on calibration,. He has done a great service to the HT community by providing a basic understanding of the calibration process.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

The equipment I use is Chromapure written by Tom Huffman right here on the AVS forum. The meter is a Chroma 5 Pro from his website, but I would consider the newer, less expensive Display 3 which is now available.

The issue is, you need the adjustments in the projector to be able to correct the problems I posted above. The QUMI does not have these adjustments and would require a separate video processor which are quite expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenStimpy View Post
The measurements are greatly appreciated, thanks a ton! I'm very pleased to see that out of the box things are pretty flat. And the screen shots look great as always.

Two questions, first, does your meter measure lumens? And second, when measuring the color space, did you set the display mode to sRGB? On my LED TV that is the setting you must use if you want accurate colors. I wonder on the Qumi how that setting would change the measurements and brightness (if you were testing in a different mode).
My colorimeter isn't really suitable for light metering. I do own 2 light meters and will measure the light output at 30 inches and 90 inches to see how it performs. I am a brightness fanatic and the Qumi @ 16 feet on my 142" 2.8HP screen with the projector 6" above eye level is just right in my all dark HT room. Quite surprising and I can't wait for the 500 lumen models. I will likely only turn on my JVC for critical bluray viewing and 3D and use the QUMI or the 500 lumen models for general TV or kids movies, etc.

Just being able to turn it on and off at leisure is still exciting. Hopefully UHP lamps will be something we laugh about in 5 years from now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 2168 Old 07-13-2011, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
My colorimeter isn't really suitable for light metering. I do own 2 light meters and will measure the light output at 30 inches and 90 inches to see how it performs. I am a brightness fanatic and the Qumi @ 16 feet on my 142" 2.8HP screen with the projector 6" above eye level is just right in my all dark HT room. Quite surprising and I can't wait for the 500 lumen models. I will likely only turn on my JVC for critical bluray viewing and 3D and use the QUMI or the 500 lumen models for general TV or kids movies, etc.
Thanks for the details, I will say I never expeced that the brightness would be suitable on your size screen. Given your experience, I think the measured brightness shouldn't be that far off the rated lumens. And on my 96" wide 2.8HP screen I think the Qumi would be plenty bright.

Sorry to pester, but do you remember what display mode you were measuring last night? I'm really curious to know if putting the Qumi into sRGB mode would have resulted in more accurate primary colors. If you measured a different mode, I think at least checking the chromacity of sRGB would be very interesting. Maybe it will tone down the over saturated primaries and remove the green tint that others are seeing.
post #993 of 2168 Old 07-13-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the details, I will say I never expeced that the brightness would be suitable on your size screen. Given your experience, I think the measured brightness shouldn't be that far off the rated lumens. And on my 96" wide 2.8HP screen I think the Qumi would be plenty bright.

Sorry to pester, but do you remember what display mode you were measuring last night? I'm really curious to know if putting the Qumi into sRGB mode would have resulted in more accurate primary colors. If you measured a different mode, I think at least checking the chromacity of sRGB would be very interesting. Maybe it will tone down the over saturated primaries and remove the green tint that others are seeing.
if you can control the light in the room, the 2.8HP is a perfect match for this tiny projector. I am thinking about a 92" diag 16:9 2.4HP just for TV viewing.

Cycling through the color modes, Auto and 1 other (don't recall) look perfect, the other turns everything bright pink. I can't see any modes that I could change to that would make a difference. I'll check again later tonight to verify.

There has to be a service menu somewhere!
post #994 of 2168 Old 07-13-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

imo, if you can control the light in the room, the 2.8HP is a perfect match for this tiny projector. I am thinking about a 92" diag 16:9 2.4HP just for TV viewing.

Cycling through the color modes, Auto and 1 other (don't recall) look perfect, the other turns everything bright pink. I can't see any modes that I could change to that would make a difference. I'll check again later tonight to verify.

There has to be a service menu somewhere!
post #995 of 2168 Old 07-13-2011, 10:48 AM

Liked: 10
folks that have watched black and white movies on the QUMI-

the image is real nice palate of grey tones with no hint of color

is that a true statement ???
post #996 of 2168 Old 07-13-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Not being an owner I can't comment with any confidence, but it sounds like you are talking about the "Color Space" setting of the Qumi since you mentioned "Auto". I've checked the online manual and the setting I'm talking about is on page 22 (actually page 28 if you are reading online). If you go to the "Image" menu, then select "Display Mode", there is a choice for "sRGB". The other choices for this are "Presentation", "Bright", "Game", "Movie", "TV", and "User". As far as the online manual says, this setting has no option for "Auto", so that is why I think we are talking about two different choices.

Out of these, do you recall which display mode you used when doing your measurements? If it wasn't sRGB, switching to that might change the location of the primaries.
post #997 of 2168 Old 07-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 23
My settings are as follows:

Display mode = user
brightness = 50
contrast = 50
sharpness = 16
gamma = video
Color space = auto
Color temp = normal

On the color space I toggles between the three other settings and auto is definitely choosing RGB. The other two produce psychedelic pink overcast to the whole image, not even watchable. I am outputing from an apple tv set to RGB also, so this probably explains why the colors are off in the other modes.

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Paradigm PS-1200 Sub
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________Polk bookshelf for Surrounds
post #998 of 2168 Old 07-13-2011, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson View Post

Display mode = user
brightness = 50
contrast = 50
sharpness = 16
gamma = video
Color space = auto
Color temp = normal

On the color space I toggles between the three other settings and auto is definitely choosing RGB. The other two produce psychedelic pink overcast to the whole image, not even watchable. I am outputing from an apple tv set to RGB also, so this probably explains why the colors are off in the other modes.

during my measurements on the last page, I ended up using color temp = WARM. The Normal mode is missing too much red and throws off the gray scale. Warm is as close as it gets. All other items listed here are the same for my calibration report.
post #999 of 2168 Old 07-13-2011, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

bump for those who might have missed this from the end of the previous page.

Quote:

The gray scale is decent, blue is a little hot here and there depending on the IRE and red is down a bit, but overall I have seen much worse from projectors 5-10x the cost of the QUMI including my JVCRS50 where red is down 20% from blue and green and requires pulling down large amounts of blue and green to get a clean D65 calibration. This is at the cost of lumens.

If there was a way to pull down the blue a bit, red would come up and it could be near perfect.

Gamma with mode set to 'video' is a flat 2.0. Some projectors are awful at tracking gamma across the entire range.

Chromacity - Green and red are hot, the saturation needs to come down a fair amount for both. This accounts for the popping colors that some folks seem to enjoy. I don't mind it, but I do wish I could tone it down a few notches.

Notice how close the white point is to D65. Not bad at all for such an inexpensive projector. This accounts for the positive comments on the face tones.

I don't have any B&W footage besides Young Frankenstein. This film has sometimes odd 'colors' for a B&W presentation. Maybe it's the film or the BD transfer. I may see a slight hint of green push, it's hard to say and would contradict the close D65 measurements. I'll look for more B&W soon.

Overall I am pleased with a relatively level gray scale. This usually requires adjustments to get this close and of course it would be nice to get it even better if it had adjustments. I would like to see a way to control the saturation of at least the primary colors. Toning down all 3 primary colors would get this closer to a Rec 709 color space.

post #1000 of 2168 Old 07-13-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson View Post

Display mode = user

Have you tried any movies or videos when the display mode is set to sRGB? If so, do the colors seem less intense? Are there any differences at all that you notice?

I know on my LED TV that there is a visible difference in colors between sRBG and the other modes, so I'm expecting the same to happen with the Qumi.
post #1001 of 2168 Old 07-13-2011, 03:14 PM

For all you 3-D users: Vivitek just posted this link on their fb page.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/59978569/Q...ource:facebook
post #1002 of 2168 Old 07-13-2011, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

How to set up Qumi for 3D playback
To produce the 3D viewing experience, you will need other components along with your projector.

What you'll need:

• Video-based PC/Laptop with a quad-buffered, open GL 3D graphics card and running Windows XP/7
• 3D media player
• "Active" shutter 3D glasses with DLP Link
• 3D content/software

Viewing 3D with Qumi:

• Connect a PC/laptop to the projector via VGA cable
• Turn on DLP Link through the projector's menu
• Enable "Stereoscopic 3D" from your PC/laptop
• Adjust the resolution of the display to XGA or SVGA at 120Hz
• Put on your pair of DLP Link based 3D glasses and experience 3D

(fifth element)
post #1003 of 2168 Old 07-13-2011, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
zombie10K >>> Thanks for the great pictures showing grey scale and color points for the Qumi; Very, very informative...
On the chromaticity chart i was suprised by the huge amount of color green being displayed and yet how it manages to get the secondary color yellow so close to ideal.
Color red manages to be oversaturated and yet in the right direction of the "triangle", so i'd imagine that onscreen reds would appear "right" (not too "orangey") but capable of showing much "deeper" shades of crimson reds.
The color point for blue is pretty close to ideal and secondaries for magenta/cyan are acceptably close (mostly), so green seems to be the main "problem" here; Where's that CMS when you need it so badly, ain't it ?
As for grey scale tracking, that is a pretty good performance : all you'd need to fix it would be a surprisingly linear and small "cut" on blue from bottom to top of scale and a small boost on red mostly in the middle of the scale.
I would venture to say that even with your findings for colorimetry/grey-scale tracking for the Qumi, it still provides a rather accurate grey-scale (i've seen much/much worse) and color points that, although way oversaturated in green but less so in red, cyan , magenta, would satisfy almost anyone with the exception of "purists" who disdain any amount of color oversaturation.
Personally, as long as i can get colors for human skin to appear onscreen as close to real as possible and i don't really notice any major, obvious artifacts, i really LOooove those oversaturated LED colors, especially crimson reds, deep purples and "Caribbean cyans"...Go ahead, flame me for my lack of "calibrationisis", ha !
Anyway, thanks again for the pics and keep them coming along with your impressions of comparisons between the JVC and the Qumi projectors.
post #1004 of 2168 Old 07-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Have you tried any movies or videos when the display mode is set to sRGB? If so, do the colors seem less intense? Are there any differences at all that you notice?

I know on my LED TV that there is a visible difference in colors between sRBG and the other modes, so I'm expecting the same to happen with the Qumi.

I tried sRGB, and it turns on the brilliant color with a setting of 8. It also gives a slightly green push to the video. Qumi looks better with my user settings or in presentation mode.

post #1005 of 2168 Old 07-13-2011, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadMan View Post

For all you 3-D users: Vivitek just posted this link on their fb page.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/59978569/Q...ource:facebook

I saw this the other day.. it's odd that they are specifying VGA specifically vs. using the HDMI input. I am not sure if my Nvidia GT430 is quad buffered.

I don't have 3D Link glasses, but if it can sync @ 1280x720 in 120hz mode, I can't see why my 3D vision glasses wouldn't work since there is an IR setting and I've already seen this work in a limited way (Stereo photo viewer) with perfect 3D through the Nvidia glasses.

I'll try the VGA cable to see if it works.
post #1006 of 2168 Old 07-13-2011, 05:54 PM

man does this thing have some "crimson reds"
post #1007 of 2168 Old 07-13-2011, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Hopefully UHP lamps will be something we laugh about in 5 years from now.

Amen to that!
post #1008 of 2168 Old 07-13-2011, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I saw this the other day.. it's odd that they are specifying VGA specifically vs. using the HDMI input. I am not sure if my Nvidia GT430 is quad buffered.

I don't have 3D Link glasses, but if it can sync @ 1280x720 in 120hz mode, I can't see why my 3D vision glasses wouldn't work since there is an IR setting and I've already seen this work in a limited way (Stereo photo viewer) with perfect 3D through the Nvidia glasses.

I'll try the VGA cable to see if it works.

VGA is odd. You think nvidia is screwing them over with some sort of licensing fee to use their 3G over a digital connection? Having followed nvidia for s good 15 years, it wouldn't surprise me.
post #1009 of 2168 Old 07-13-2011, 06:13 PM

when I first got my qumi I couldnt actually hear barelly anything from the 1w speaker im like hrm is that normal, so i hooked up my XMI X-mini II Mini Speaker that i had and noticed no difference, I was like Great I got a defective audio out speaker out. but when i plugged in my Bose Companion 3 Series II from my PC it actually worked great. Has anyone else experienced super low barely noticeble audio from the stock qumi 1w speaker. other than that the qumi is great.
post #1010 of 2168 Old 07-13-2011, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacmart View Post

when I first got my qumi I couldnt actually hear barelly anything from the 1w speaker im like hrm is that normal, so i hooked up my XMI X-mini II Mini Speaker that i had and noticed no difference, I was like Great I got a defective audio out speaker out. but when i plugged in my Bose Companion 3 Series II from my PC it actually worked great. Has anyone else experienced super low barely noticeble audio from the stock qumi 1w speaker. other than that the qumi is great.

Well, it's only 1w... I plug mine into my clock radio in the bedroom and get plenty of sound for watching tv series on netflix. The Qumi speaker is not very loud though. Have you found the volume control? It makes it slightly louder.

post #1011 of 2168 Old 07-13-2011, 07:43 PM

Can you please tell me how to connect the qumi to my onkyo reciever. ANYONE please. It wont recognize it the reciever as a source through the hdmi cable. PLEASE HELP or else im returning this thing. THANK YOU!
post #1012 of 2168 Old 07-13-2011, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

zombie10K >>> Thanks for the great pictures showing grey scale and color points for the Qumi; Very, very informative...
On the chromaticity chart i was suprised by the huge amount of color green being displayed and yet how it manages to get the secondary color yellow so close to ideal.

Color red manages to be oversaturated and yet in the right direction of the "triangle", so i'd imagine that onscreen reds would appear "right" (not too "orangey") but capable of showing much "deeper" shades of crimson reds.

The color point for blue is pretty close to ideal and secondaries for magenta/cyan are acceptably close (mostly), so green seems to be the main "problem" here; Where's that CMS when you need it so badly, ain't it ?

As for grey scale tracking, that is a pretty good performance : all you'd need to fix it would be a surprisingly linear and small "cut" on blue from bottom to top of scale and a small boost on red mostly in the middle of the scale.

I would venture to say that even with your findings for colorimetry/grey-scale tracking for the Qumi, it still provides a rather accurate grey-scale (i've seen much/much worse) and color points that, although way oversaturated in green but less so in red, cyan , magenta, would satisfy almost anyone with the exception of "purists" who disdain any amount of color oversaturation.

Personally, as long as i can get colors for human skin to appear onscreen as close to real as possible and i don't really notice any major, obvious artifacts,

i really LOooove those oversaturated LED colors, especially crimson reds, deep purples and "Caribbean cyans"...Go ahead, flame me for my lack of "calibrationisis", ha !

Anyway, thanks again for the pics and keep them coming along with your impressions of comparisons between the JVC and the Qumi projectors.

I'm with you on the skin tones. They have to be correct before anything else in regard to image quality. The QUMI excels at skin tones for this price range. The gray scale is better than most projectors out of the box costing a considerable amount more. It would be great to pull than blue down a hair then it was be dead on, but still pretty good overall.

The color range of these LED's is impressive. During the measurements of the 3 individual primary colors are some of the deepest colors i've seen from a display. They could easily pull them back in the software to tone it down a bit.

This projector has been a lot of fun so far. Considering something this size capable of 300 lumens and 720P HD resolution in a box the size of a hard drive would have looked like science fiction 10 years ago. This is remarkable technology to allow such a nice picture from a device so small in size.

I am using it tonight hooked up to my HTPC which is running MCE7 / Ceton Quad cable card tuner. It's great for watching TV, just turn it on / off without a thought of burning up my UHP lamps.

I'm going to try the VGA connection and see if I have more luck getting 3D working.
post #1013 of 2168 Old 07-13-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonahunjan View Post

Can you please tell me how to connect the qumi to my onkyo reciever. ANYONE please. It wont recognize it the reciever as a source through the hdmi cable. PLEASE HELP or else im returning this thing. THANK YOU!

There is NO HDMI OUT on the QUMI.
There IS!!!! HDMI IN!!!!!

HDMI from Playstation Three to 7.1 ONKYO for AUDIO
ONKYO produces 7.1 audio

HDMI cable from ONKYO to QUMI(mini HDMI) for VIDEO

ALTERNATE hookup:
A WTF?? why are you hooking it uplike this?? but it works.

QUMI
VIDEO from USB, SD or external USB( in COMPLIANT format for audio and video)

AUDIO from Qumi via

The LED lamp's 300 lumens of brightness and a 2500:1 contrast ratio offers bright images and noticeable contrast between white and black for excellent color saturation. The LED provides approximately 30,000 hours of lamp life.
Built-In Speaker

The built-in 1W speakers produce rich audio for small- to mid-sized rooms. A 3.5mm audio jack is available for connecting to other audio outputs, from headphones to your home theater.

Display Type: DLP
Viewable Screen Size: 30" - 90" (diagonal)
Throw Ratio Range: 1.55 :1
Maximum Resolution: 1600 x 1200
Native Resolution: WXGA (1280 x 800)
Aspect Ratio: 16:9, 4:3 and native 16:10
Brightness: Up to 300 lumens
Contrast Ratio: 2500:1
Compatibility: UXGA, WXGA, SXGA+, SXGA, XGA, SVGA, VGA, PC and Mac
Digital Keystone Correction: ±15°
Zoom/Focus Control: Fixed lens
Lamp Type: LED
Lamp Life: Up to 30,000 hours
Audio: Built-in 1W mono speaker
Outputs: Mini-jack audio
Power Consumption: 85W on (<0.5W on standby)
Inputs: Mini-HDMI, VGA/component, video

DIY beats store purchased.
post #1014 of 2168 Old 07-14-2011, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
zombie10K >>> Your description of the colors projected by the Qumi, the pj's size, resolution and capabilities mirror almost word for word the way i felt when i got my LG HX300G.
It's been almost one year and, as usual, often times i find myself marvelling at that smorgasbord of LED colors onscreen followed by a quick glance to make sure skin tones appear fine to my eyes; Invariably i think : "how the hell did they achieve so many shades of red in the same shot ? Or, "this shot with "cerulean blue" sky bordering "Caribbean cyan" ocean deserves some more careful observation"; Or, "just look at those 1960's neon orange/pink combo", etc, etc...I know it sounds ridiculous, that i have too much time in my hands, but i figure it's a natural response of the color cone receptacles in my retina after so many years of "CRT color starvation", ha !
I know at some time in the future i should try to see the picture of a well-calibrated standard bulb projector and mentally try to compare it to a LED projector to see if i really notice any difference in "depth", and obviously a side by side comparison perspective would be even better.
I am rather curious as to your impressions of the colors between the Qumi and the JVC; Do you see anything noticeably different ?
post #1015 of 2168 Old 07-14-2011, 04:38 AM

What type of screen size can I expect at 10ft throw? I am thinking about putting this in my bedroom for the most part, and double duty wherever else, but the main mount in bedroom. I am on a platform bed so i'm low to the ground, it looks as if the image is pretty straight out of the front from what I gather so I would mount it a couple feet above me, do you guys think that fan noise will be an issue?

Also as far as mounting I was thinking of a shelf or is there any type of mount that is tiny in size as not to look to over the top that mounts to the wall(my ceiling is 13ft tall) and holds the projector? I don't remember if anyone posted that it can flip the image upside down.

Thanks for the help
post #1016 of 2168 Old 07-14-2011, 06:36 AM

Greetings all

Well, I have been quiet during my testing but my results/feelings are 180 degrees opposite to Z10Ks results.

I've been waiting/wanting this projector since it was announced in January and I am so disappointed, so much so I'll be sending it back.

I posted last week as to my projector experience (not much) and what I was going to compare it to so I won't waste page space and type it again (but in looking at my past projector experience the Qumi should of been a step up), OH let's see, where do I start.

The projector I have requires at least 45 minutes to warm up before a stable focus can be achieved and even then, center to edge focus is off (sharp focus in center not so good on any edge), when cold the biggest diag image I can focus to is 85 inches, 1 hour later I can go to 120 inches.

Color control (or lack thereof) is not good on my unit, regardless of what I do the faces are never correct (too much red). Having a LG HS201 (not a very flexible projector) I am aware of image centering/ projector to screen alignment and after last night's tests I feel comfortable in saying it was aligned properly.

To rule out my HDMI cabling I put my BD player under the Qumi and only used the Vivitek cable (I even tried using the noise canceling Torroid (Spelling?) cable filters). I never got a good/clear/proper color image on a BD disk or DVD (BD Avatar, DVD The Replacements).

My computer content was even worst, that center to edge focus issue was really causing me problems, regardless, I gave up and put my 201 back in to service, all was well again.

In the end I had the following problems, projector had to be on for at least 45 minutes before a stable focus can be achieved. On a pure white screen the left of the screen was a blue tint and the right was rose tint. Center to edge(s) focus was not good, and because the focus had to be constantly adjusted during the first hour that focus knob was tough to use.

Might I have a bad unit, Yes, I am on the fence as to if I want it replaced or just get my money back. I had such high hopes and when seeing Z10Ks results I was jealous and annoyed with myself I didn't get over night shipping (so I could get in on the fun).

I am so bummed, I had such high hopes (7 months of waiting) for this projector, OOHH well.

That's my experience

AFM
post #1017 of 2168 Old 07-14-2011, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxsoulja3 View Post

What type of screen size can I expect at 10ft throw? I am thinking about putting this in my bedroom for the most part, and double duty wherever else, but the main mount in bedroom. I am on a platform bed so i'm low to the ground, it looks as if the image is pretty straight out of the front from what I gather so I would mount it a couple feet above me, do you guys think that fan noise will be an issue?

Also as far as mounting I was thinking of a shelf or is there any type of mount that is tiny in size as not to look to over the top that mounts to the wall(my ceiling is 13ft tall) and holds the projector? I don't remember if anyone posted that it can flip the image upside down.

Thanks for the help

I purchased a small shelf and mounted it over my bed. I have the Qumi and an apple tv sitting on it and am projecting around 75" - 80" image from 10 feet. You can hear the fan, but once you are watching a show, you forget about it. The image can be flipped if you want to invert the projector.

post #1018 of 2168 Old 07-14-2011, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

after so many years of "CRT color starvation"

Losing more credibility, eventually you might run out.
post #1019 of 2168 Old 07-14-2011, 06:53 AM

So now I have the qumi for 4 days already. Its looks very nice & bright on a white wall. Qumi was connected via HDMI to a laptop & Xbox 360

experienced super low barely noticeable audio from the stock qumi 1w speaker but you can connect your surround sound system and you are good to go

other than that the qumi is great & best Led Projector out there for the price

100" IMAGE PROJECTED ON WHITE WALL @ 16:10
CONNECTED TO XBOX360 VIA MINI-HDMI TO HDMI FOR NETFLIX AND GAMING (AWESOME HD QUALITY)
CONNECTED TO SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM
--------
haven't tried 3D or BLU-RAY yet

also note that i am first time projector owner

pics were taken with Droid X Camera (only 8 Megapix which is not great)

post #1020 of 2168 Old 07-14-2011, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afineman View Post

Well, I have been quiet during my testing but my results/feelings are 180 degrees opposite to Z10Ks results.

I've been waiting/wanting this projector since it was announced in January and I am so disappointed, so much so I'll be sending it back.

AFM

That is a shame, I wonder how much sample variance there is between units. If I were to guess, maybe some of the 3 LED's are different tolerances and if just 1 is off, it could easily affect the gray scale which ultimately affects skin tones.

My white screens are fairly uniform, I don't see tinting on either side of center. I do have to refocus after a few mins of warm up, but I can get it focus no problem @ 16FT on the 142" HP screen right from boot up.

Owning the JVC, I have relatively high expectations. I am pleased with this small projector and used it last night for watching TV on the MCE7 machine. I fell asleep and woke up this morning with the projector still on. I didn't even think twice, just turned it off and put it away in the case.

@MCaugusto - My JVC is calibrated for REC709 which is much more muted than the colors I see on the QUMI. For me, what creates a sense of depth isn't the deep colors, but intense native contrast which the JVC excels at.

No one would mistake the IQ from the QUMI for the JVC, but I also can't put that 50 lb monster in my laptop case.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Vivitek Qumi Q2 300 Lumen Wxga Hdmi 3d Ready Pocket Dlp Projector White

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page