1Likes

post #1081 of 2168 Old 07-17-2011, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanefsky View Post

I took a couple of pictures of the focus shift issue on my Qumi. Are other users experiencing less of a shift?

Here's the focus when fully warmed up:

And here's what it looks like right after a cold start:

It takes about 20 minutes or so in my case for the focus to stabilize.

--
Steve

Mine is nothing like that after a cold start, the menu is clean and readable. I turn it on and I'm able to start and view a movie from USB in under 30 seconds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 2168 Old 07-17-2011, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera2345 View Post

Mine is nothing like that after a cold start, the menu is clean and readable. I turn it on and I'm able to start and view a movie from USB in under 30 seconds.

I could adjust the focus so that it looks good after a cold start, but then it would go out of focus as it warms up. The question is whether others are experiencing the same degree of focus shift over the first 20 minutes or so after turning the projector on. I suppose it's also possible that it depends on the size of the projected image. Mine is about 100".

--
Steve
post #1083 of 2168 Old 07-17-2011, 06:51 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

The question is whether others are experiencing the same degree of focus shift over the first 20 minutes or so after turning the projector on. I suppose it's also possible that it depends on the size of the projected image. Mine is about 100".

That looks a little worse than mine, here is a capture of it:

I also don't think it takes 20 minutes for the focus to snap in, but I haven't timed it.
post #1084 of 2168 Old 07-17-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:

I could adjust the focus so that it looks good after a cold start, but then it would go out of focus as it warms up. The question is whether others are experiencing the same degree of focus shift over the first 20 minutes or so after turning the projector on. I suppose it's also possible that it depends on the size of the projected image. Mine is about 100".

--
Steve

It could be size dependent, since I'm only at 82".
post #1085 of 2168 Old 07-17-2011, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenStimpy View Post

That looks a little worse than mine, here is a capture of it:
I also don't think it takes 20 minutes for the focus to snap in, but I haven't timed it.

I'd say mine was 80-90% of the way there at 15 minutes, but continued to improve until at least 20 minutes. At 10 minutes it was still pretty bad.

--
Steve
post #1086 of 2168 Old 07-17-2011, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 51
My entire screen is never completely if focus. When I start it up, the bottom is nice and sharp while the top is a little fuzzy. Once it warms up, the top becomes sharp and the bottom looses focus. Once it stabilizes some areas are sharper than others, but overall the image is in focus. I have been in several theaters where the focus is much worse. Often I have to go tell the manager to get it sorted out.

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Dual Stereo Integrity 18" Infinite Baffle
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________DIY Sound Group Volt 10
post #1087 of 2168 Old 07-18-2011, 03:44 AM

20 minutes is a lot, I think this is unacceptable.Now if you do not buy it.
post #1088 of 2168 Old 07-18-2011, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post

one of the Amazon reviewers also had a malfunctioning red led:

**One little trouble, I had a defective one prior to this review. The red led was broken or something because Mario's red under clothing was pure black. So did other images and videos where red didn't show up. Amazon was willing to replace it without any hassle. Thank you Amazon. Vivitek took awhile to respond but I took up on Amazon's offer because they were much more speedier in their replies.

Overall though, I am pleased with the product.

Hi..
Thanks for the post.
i have already start the return item procedure.
Its weird that already 2 PJ are red led burnt..
post #1089 of 2168 Old 07-18-2011, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Guys, not that i want to rain on your parades, but could all these reported problems be a systemic design flaw having to do with a poorly designed air cooling path not offering enough heat dissipation ? Is there an air outake vent located right next to the lens that could affect its performance at startup ? Shouldn't these problems be noticed and fixed during final product testing ?
I am just surprised by the amount of problems reported here; How many owners are actually fully satisfied with their Qumis on this thread ?
Just some thoughts and questions....
post #1090 of 2168 Old 07-18-2011, 06:59 AM

Got mine last Friday but been busy the whole weekend so didn't really get to do much testing on it. A quick few notes that I've found compare to what the others are finding:

1. Diamond pixels definitely makes text not as sharp and clean but the flip side is that video/picture are overall better. I will bring it with me tomorrow on the road to use as a 2nd monitor and will find out if longer duration use in text mode is acceptable or not for those primary use would be to bring on the road.

2. LED color is definitely richer and fuller. Especially compare to the 'regular' bulbs one that I've seem before (I'm sure the higher price range ones will and can do better but we are talking about a $500 box here). It truely is 'eye candy'.

3. Focus - definitely cannot seem to be able to have the entire screen all focused from corner-to-corner. So if you're looking for something that's corner-to-corner prefect then this isn't going to do it. Otherwise, with a balanced focus, everything seems to work fine in picture/video. Focus also does seem to change a bit over time - I had to step away for a few hours but I just left it on (great thing to not have to worry about bulb's life anymore). When I came back, the focus were only slightly off and wasn't way off (or the difference wasn't that much between the two).

4. Ceiling mounting this with one of those remote control power on/off thing that people can buy from Walmart/Homedepot probably will be the way to go (these are the 'green ones' that you can buy around Christmas time for remote turning on/off lights in/outside).

I'm planning on changing my basement area into more a play around with a larger (and a HT pulldown screen). Going to move the Kinect downstairs for the kids and change my old mount setup/angle to get a larger area for a larger screen. (My current screen is about 84" but it's a square one so going to get one that's >100" not sure will I push to the 140" like action_jackson or zombie10k (sorry can't remember which one of you had that setup).
post #1091 of 2168 Old 07-18-2011, 07:59 AM

100"+ IMAGE PROJECTED ON WHITE WALL @ 16:10
CONNECTED TO XBOX360 VIA MINI-HDMI TO HDMI FOR NETFLIX AND GAMING (AWESOME HD QUALITY)
CONNECTED TO SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM

note that this video was recorded it with Droid X 8.0MP Camera Phone
post #1092 of 2168 Old 07-18-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave_Runner View Post

Hi..
Thanks for the post.
I have already start the return item procedure.
Its weird that already 2 PJ are red led burnt..

Now ,I am very confused. Amazon willing to refund or replace which could be another month. I have already wait for it more than a month. [Ordered in june9 got it by July10]. Thank you Amazon the service. I am surprise from the fast response.
Maybe to wait for the ACER/OPTOMA/Viewsonic 500lumens PJs?
I realy like the Qumi. It is my first PJ. It was very clear 90" 16:10 image on a white wall.
Any suggestions?
post #1093 of 2168 Old 07-18-2011, 08:39 AM

hello all, what's wrong with my qumi q2, I can not activate the menu that corresponds to the 3d, there is someone who has gone through the same thing? and windows 7 does not recognize 120Hz
post #1094 of 2168 Old 07-18-2011, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

Guys, not that i want to rain on your parades, but could all these reported problems be a systemic design flaw having to do with a poorly designed air cooling path not offering enough heat dissipation ?

My guess is that it's hard to design such a small projector in a way that heat doesn't cause some expansion of the unit, affecting focus. Vivitek probably figured this was an acceptable compromise, since I think the Qumi was designed primarily as an inexpensive portable projector to be hooked to something like an iPhone. Tweaking the focus each time you turn it on is not such a big deal for that use case. I doubt they were thinking too much about people ceiling mounting the unit with a 100+" screen. I would so much love to see a somewhat larger (3-5 lbs), brighter projector with LED illumination and a zoom/shift lens that was designed for that.

--
Steve
post #1095 of 2168 Old 07-18-2011, 10:46 AM

From Amozon.com
**One little trouble, I had a defective one prior to this review. The red led was broken or something because Mario's red under clothing was pure black. So did other images and videos where red didn't show up. Amazon was willing to replace it without any hassle. Thank you Amazon. Vivitek took awhile to respond but I took up on Amazon's offer because they were much more speedier in their replies.
post #1096 of 2168 Old 07-18-2011, 12:28 PM

I love my Qumi.

warts and all.........
post #1097 of 2168 Old 07-18-2011, 12:47 PM

Liked: 14
kanefsky

I didn't time mine, for me it was closer to 45 minutes for the focus to finally stabilize.

For me when cold the best I could do was an 85 inch focused picture, after (about) 45 minutes it would do 110+. It took me a few days to figure this out (once on, tinkered with then sat and watched) it wasn't till the 3rd day when I felt everything was set (no more tinkering required) so I started up the projector (figuring it would be where I left it) and it was horrible (I'm thinking what went wrong). Then as time passed and it warmed up the picture got better, then I understood.

It is a rather small enclosure for the # of watts used so I figured maybe a stiffener was forgotten, screws loose, etc. I never thought of it as a design issue more of a first production run issue. Where some have limited to no shift I figured it was just my projector.

I sent mine back and didn't get a replacement, I figure with this first production run these problem will take a few months to weed out, I'll wait a few months for Vititek to resolve this issue. I sent mine back (mine was an extreme) and I know others have sent theirs back (guy at the very beginning) and I'm sure engineering will identify and resolve this problem.

Back to waiting

AFM
post #1098 of 2168 Old 07-18-2011, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afineman View Post

and I'm sure engineering will identify and resolve this problem.

Back to waiting

AFM

Probably not as its more the nature of the materials the lens assembly is made of contracting and expanding-from ambient temp to around 100 degrees probably.one of my led pjs does this.

(fifth element)
post #1099 of 2168 Old 07-18-2011, 03:23 PM

Any suggest to which one to buy. I have room size of 22’-10” X 12’-8”
1. Casio XJ-A240
2. Casio XJ-M240
3. Qumi
post #1100 of 2168 Old 07-18-2011, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Concerning heat expansion/contraction of a projector's case, during the first two days of use of my LG HX300G LED pj, which is about as tiny as the Qumi, i could hear an annoying clicking sound that would start a couple of minutes after turning it on and stop as soon as i shut it off; I attributed the noise to heating/cooling issues and my suspicions were confirmed when the clicking sound disappeared after that initial period and never returned; Also, i never/ever experienced any problems with unfocused images due to lens contraction/expansion either during startup or afterwards.
I turn that "tiny thingy" ON everyday and after 10~12 hours of continuous use i shut i off; based on my experience with the HX300G i would not put up with any of the issues reported in this thread...
post #1101 of 2168 Old 07-18-2011, 07:44 PM

I take back my earlier response, if I focus mine on startup it's a bit out of focus after 20 minutes or so. May have to return it if I can't reach an acceptable solution. Has anyone contacted Vivitek about this??
post #1102 of 2168 Old 07-19-2011, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Guys,

I bought a Qumi and got it on friday. Here are my pros and cons:

Cons:

Does have to be refocused upon turning on and then after it warms up as focus will drift after it heats up.

Pros:

It is bright enough for my 92" 2.4 HP screen
Can't see the pixel structure unless very very close to screen
Quiet.....really surprised me how quiet it is
Colors look great....especially blue

For $500 I am impressed. Sure having to refocus after warmup is a hassle but the projector is so small you should expect it. This is a great projector to just watch TV, play video games, or use as a backyard small theater. I will use it to save hours on my bulb projector and being able to turn on/off as much as I want doesnt hurt either. The 500 lumen projectors should really be something if they are like the qumi but brighter.

Mike

WTB: DPI Cine LED 1000 projector
post #1103 of 2168 Old 07-19-2011, 01:31 AM

does qumi q2 have APPLE® Connection Kit include?
post #1104 of 2168 Old 07-19-2011, 03:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefee View Post

does qumi q2 have APPLE® Connection Kit include?

Nope, not included. If interested, purchase the HDMI connection kit, it is the only one that will output full 720p video. That is the one I have and it works great. A nice perk is that you can connect both HDMI and 30-pin cable to the adapter, then connect the mini HDMI and USB to the Qumi. This way you can charge your phone at the same time.

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Dual Stereo Integrity 18" Infinite Baffle
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________DIY Sound Group Volt 10
post #1105 of 2168 Old 07-19-2011, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw23air View Post

Guys,

I bought a Qumi and got it on friday. Here are my pros and cons:

Cons:

Does have to be refocused upon turning on and then after it warms up as focus will drift after it heats up.

Pros:

It is bright enough for my 92" 2.4 HP screen
Can't see the pixel structure unless very very close to screen
Quiet.....really surprised me how quiet it is
Colors look great....especially blue

For $500 I am impressed. Sure having to refocus after warmup is a hassle but the projector is so small you should expect it. This is a great projector to just watch TV, play video games, or use as a backyard small theater. I will use it to save hours on my bulb projector and being able to turn on/off as much as I want doesnt hurt either. The 500 lumen projectors should really be something if they are like the qumi but brighter.

Mike

Mike - mine is the same way. Focus on cold boot, final focus about 15 mins later and it's fine for the rest of the night. I can focus on the 142" screen with no problem @ 16 foot through when cold and a slight adjustments once it's warm.

it sounds like it's worse on certain copies of the projector. The 92" 2.4 HP is nice size (I had a 92" 2.8HP that I sold to a friend when I got the 142"). I might get one again just for the QUMI / Acer 500 lumen model when it's released.

I like compressing videos to mp4 with handbrake and store them on a 32GB card. The projector is impressive for such a small size.
post #1106 of 2168 Old 07-19-2011, 08:02 AM

I like the Qumi so much that I will probably just accept the focus issue, it's going to lead to a problem if I want to ceiling-mount it though. I got my XBMC box finished last night so will give the Qumi a thorough test over the next few days, but even just playing M4Vs from USB stick is amazing.
post #1107 of 2168 Old 07-19-2011, 08:03 AM

Hi,
Now i can run my qumi q2 at 1280x720 in 120Hz but this resolution look realy bad, them when i put 1280x800 i only can 60Hz. some body now how do for config 1280x800 at 120Hz please help me.
post #1108 of 2168 Old 07-19-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourFriend View Post

Any suggest to which one to buy. I have room size of 22'-10 X 12'-8
1. Casio XJ-A240
2. Casio XJ-M240
3. Qumi

I have the A240, I can hear the fan, so I think I will be returning it for the M240 + 3D. There is a seperate thread in this forum, the last page or so, I did sound recordings.

all fired up
post #1109 of 2168 Old 07-19-2011, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
it sounds like it's worse on certain copies of the projector. The 92" 2.4 HP is nice size (I had a 92" 2.8HP that I sold to a friend when I got the 142"). I might get one again just for the QUMI / Acer 500 lumen model when it's released.
Jason,

If the 500 lumen led projectors are indeed 66% brighter then it would be ideal for about a 92" 2.4 HP screen. I am like you in that I like a bright image, at first I thought the qumi was kinda dim but after watching it this weekend I am ok with the brightness on my screen. If I didn't have a high power screen though it wouldn't be bright enough at 92" but thats just my tastes. I hope I won't be tempted by the 500 lumen projectors but I'm afraid I just might. I thought about selling the qumi when the 500 lumen ones come out but this thing is such a marvel I am thinking of using it in a bedroom later on.

Mike

WTB: DPI Cine LED 1000 projector
post #1110 of 2168 Old 07-19-2011, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoken View Post
some body now how do for config 1280x800 at 120Hz please help me.
I wonder if it's even possible for non 3d stuff.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Vivitek Qumi Q2 300 Lumen Wxga Hdmi 3d Ready Pocket Dlp Projector White

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page