1Likes

post #1831 of 2168 Old 02-06-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Has this thread gone "dark?"

Just picked up my Q2 the other day (replacing an aged Panny AE-900U) and couldn't be happier (for the price). I figure this'll be my PJ until we see LED-based 1080p with lens shift hit the $1,000 and under category.

Mainly going to use it in my smallish study for games and movies, and occasionally breaking it out for things in the living room like the Superbowl and family movie night.

Quick question though: How do I get 3D to work with this thing? I already have 4 pairs of Sony active glasses that I use with my 24" Sony 3DTV (the PS3 one). Do I need anything more than my PS3 pumping 3D Blu-Ray content to the projector and my 3d glasses? Thanks!

Ignorance can be cured, stupidity is forever.
Choosing sides is so...last gen.
360/PS3/Wii/HD DVD/Blu-Ray/Plasma/PJ - Too much money
Not having to choose - Priceless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 2168 Old 02-06-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS10L View Post

I figure this'll be my PJ until we see LED-based 1080p with lens shift hit the $1,000 and under category.

unless the rumored 1080p pico chip is made you wont see it probably.The viewsonic hybrid is gona have a 2-3k msrp i have heard.viewsonics,benq,optomas jump to laser,laser/led is telling .I think its the end for any hope of pure led entry level 1080p.

I think led under 10k$ will remain in the portable realm,they will never have zoom let alone lens shift IMO.

(fifth element)
post #1833 of 2168 Old 02-06-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Why you need lens shift on a 1 pound projector? Pretty easy to mount in all types of places.
post #1834 of 2168 Old 02-07-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:

Has this thread gone "dark?"

Just picked up my Q2 the other day (replacing an aged Panny AE-900U) and couldn't be happier (for the price). I figure this'll be my PJ until we see LED-based 1080p with lens shift hit the $1,000 and under category.

Mainly going to use it in my smallish study for games and movies, and occasionally breaking it out for things in the living room like the Superbowl and family movie night.

Quick question though: How do I get 3D to work with this thing? I already have 4 pairs of Sony active glasses that I use with my 24" Sony 3DTV (the PS3 one). Do I need anything more than my PS3 pumping 3D Blu-Ray content to the projector and my 3d glasses? Thanks!

I have had a Qumi since last July and, like you, I love it. I play it all over my house, deck, yard, etc. However, I have never tried the 3D because it seems to be quite a hassle. I do not believe you can play 3D unless you have either a 3D capable computer or purchase a 3D converter, which can be pricey. I have read some posts about altering the cable pins, but I have not tried that. If you go on the Qumi Facebook page, they provide you with 3D information, including "How To" instructions. Hope this helps. Good luck.
post #1835 of 2168 Old 02-12-2012, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat View Post

unless the rumored 1080p pico chip is made you wont see it probably.The viewsonic hybrid is gona have a 2-3k msrp i have heard.viewsonics,benq,optomas jump to laser,laser/led is telling .I think its the end for any hope of pure led entry level 1080p.

I think led under 10k$ will remain in the portable realm,they will never have zoom let alone lens shift IMO.

Well that's a bummer. I guess in the scheme of things it's not that big of a deal, I just like the idea of a bulb-less PJ. Money's tight with us right now with me still in grad school, but I finish in May and I'm sure I'll keep the Q2 in my study and buy a new 1080p PJ for the living room. That being said, I could see myself ponying up $2K-$3K for a hybrid that'd give me 10,000+ hours of use.

post #1836 of 2168 Old 02-12-2012, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey_is_here2003 View Post

I have had a Qumi since last July and, like you, I love it. I play it all over my house, deck, yard, etc. However, I have never tried the 3D because it seems to be quite a hassle. I do not believe you can play 3D unless you have either a 3D capable computer or purchase a 3D converter, which can be pricey. I have read some posts about altering the cable pins, but I have not tried that. If you go on the Qumi Facebook page, they provide you with 3D information, including "How To" instructions. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. Well, seeing as I've already got the Sony 24" LED 3DTV in my study, I'll use that with the PS3 for any 3D viewing. It's much smaller, but I sit about 24" from it so it should be comparable.

post #1837 of 2168 Old 02-12-2012, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post

Why you need lens shift on a 1 pound projector? Pretty easy to mount in all types of places.

I don't per se, just wishful thinking.

post #1838 of 2168 Old 02-13-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the info. Well, seeing as I've already got the Sony 24" LED 3DTV in my study, I'll use that with the PS3 for any 3D viewing. It's much smaller, but I sit about 24" from it so it should be comparable.

You're welcome. Sounds like a good plan.
post #1839 of 2168 Old 02-13-2012, 07:24 PM

Just picked it up today. Very surprised by the size and weight. The picture looks great....I'm watching at about 60" diag.... and Futurama at 720p is very good.

One thing that really has my panties in a twist is the cables they give you. VGA HDMI etc...but they are about 4" long and totally worthless unless you have a slew of adapters... and I do have a slew of adapters and can't find any gender converting adapters that will work with this thing. Still between my 7" tablet and the Qumi a whole world of presentation possibilities without the back ache have opened up.

Can't get the navigation menu when a micro USB is inserted to be in English. Good thing my french is as basic as the menu.
post #1840 of 2168 Old 02-21-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Is the fan on this projector louder than on others?
post #1841 of 2168 Old 02-23-2012, 02:22 PM

So, I've seen a lot of posts on how to set up 3D for use with this projector which I must say, is a hassle. But it can be done and here is what I'm doing and why.

I have a small under powered laptop that I take with me on my long trips and I know that I can run 2 640x480 streams (iPod format m4v, MKV, mp4 take your pic) at once. But any higher resolution and it's a no go. So, this is what I do. I already use AnyDVDHD for the decryption. Then I make an image onto the HDD using AnyDVDHD. Then I use 3DBDBuster (it requires a small donation but well worth it for video modifiers like myself) to separate the left and right streams. You can do individual files for the purpose of this projector, then take your individual files and use handbrake to encode in the legacy iPod format, which allows you to select the anamorphic flag (loose), then under audio, choose passthru (generally to keep the AC3 track). Then using Stereoscopic player you load both left and right file, once it loads, make sure that you select a viewing method of software pageflipping. On the projector, make sure you have it connected via VGA at 1280x800@120Hz then select 3D->advanced-> and use IR or DLP link. And then use full screen mode. Viola. It works beautifully and without any special drivers from the video card, etc. I know because my laptop has a cheap Intel video chip but it looks beautiful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Speakers done and positioned. 7/2 THTLP done. Fabric Frames going on now.

post #1842 of 2168 Old 03-23-2012, 04:39 AM

Hey thanks for the wonderful info, but can you elaborate a bit please...I mean do you need any special graphics card for this, plus do you need a special emitter or just the dlp link glasses will do? I do have the stereoscopic player, but have been using in the anaglyph format only which really is pathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalJman View Post

So, I've seen a lot of posts on how to set up 3D for use with this projector which I must say, is a hassle. But it can be done and here is what I'm doing and why.

I have a small under powered laptop that I take with me on my long trips and I know that I can run 2 640x480 streams (iPod format m4v, MKV, mp4 take your pic) at once. But any higher resolution and it's a no go. So, this is what I do. I already use AnyDVDHD for the decryption. Then I make an image onto the HDD using AnyDVDHD. Then I use 3DBDBuster (it requires a small donation but well worth it for video modifiers like myself) to separate the left and right streams. You can do individual files for the purpose of this projector, then take your individual files and use handbrake to encode in the legacy iPod format, which allows you to select the anamorphic flag (loose), then under audio, choose passthru (generally to keep the AC3 track). Then using Stereoscopic player you load both left and right file, once it loads, make sure that you select a viewing method of software pageflipping. On the projector, make sure you have it connected via VGA at 1280x800@120Hz then select 3D->advanced-> and use IR or DLP link. And then use full screen mode. Viola. It works beautifully and without any special drivers from the video card, etc. I know because my laptop has a cheap Intel video chip but it looks beautiful.

post #1843 of 2168 Old 03-23-2012, 02:49 PM

Hi Guys! Anybody test QUMI WiFi dongle? It available since February.
post #1844 of 2168 Old 03-26-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesterjive View Post

Hey thanks for the wonderful info, but can you elaborate a bit please...I mean do you need any special graphics card for this, plus do you need a special emitter or just the dlp link glasses will do? I do have the stereoscopic player, but have been using in the anaglyph format only which really is pathetic

So, Qumi is a bit of a half way attempt at getting 3D sadly to say but it can be done. Now just for info I did return my Qumi for a third time because one of the panels went bad and I ended up getting the Viewsonic PLED W-500 because of it's ability to do 3D over HDMI with VP1 thing that is like the Optoma 3D-XL. So I can't do any further testing, but this is what I did get established on it.

So, yes Sterescopic Player is a must. The next thing is you need to be able to use a VGA cable, one that is marketed as SVGA from like monoprice, etc, and a graphics card capable of setting it to 1280*800 at 120Hz. The trick for most you will be getting this setup this way. For my little laptop which had a measley intel graphics chip I was able to get it set at this resolution by bending one of the pins, can't remember which at the moment. But if you have a upper scale graphics card then you can probably do this resolution just fine. Then comes the trickery for the content. So, there's no way for you to play a 3D bluray on any other player accept from Stereoscopic player, and you have to have a decryptor like AnyDVDHD or DVDFab I think also has one for Bluray. Stereoscopic player will not decrypt it for you. Your setup will be pageflipping software in Stereoscopic player in the viewing method. Then choose open file from Stereoscopic player and load up an SSIF file from the stream folder. That's it for playing it.

For the glasses and setup of projector. There's an advanced menu at the far right tab and under that advanced is 3D. If you're going to use DLP link, then you need DLP link glasses and it syncs up just fine. If you choose IR, then you need to have an emitter hooked up to it and choose that setting and obviously have the glasses.

That's basically it. A pain, yes. Can it be done. Yes, if you trouble shoot a lot and find out which part isn't working. It's usually the part of getting the resolution to run at that correctly. Even my AMD 6970 wasn't detecting that resolution correctly and therefore the pin mod had to be done. Is it worth it. I'm going to lean towards the no side now that I've had such an easy and wonderful experience with the Viewsonic. But once you have the magic setup, you can completely enjoy the 3D on this setup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Speakers done and positioned. 7/2 THTLP done. Fabric Frames going on now.

post #1845 of 2168 Old 03-28-2012, 05:39 PM

i ordered rca to male vga cable from ebay, realized i need a female vga to connect it to the vga cable that came with the qumi, so i ordered a female vga to female vga adapter from ebay. i connected the wii to the female rca to male vga, then connected the male vga end to the female vga adapter, then hooked the male vga from the qumi universal i/0 to the female vga adapter. and nothing. i just wanna play my wii through the qumi, any help would be greatly appreciated, im thinkin i might just buy the wii to hdmi adapter?
post #1846 of 2168 Old 03-30-2012, 03:20 AM

To play the Wii through the Qumi you either need the Vivitek RCA cable (it's proprietary and should have come with the Qumi but didn't so contact Vivitek support and they'll send you one) or you could get a Wii Component cable and Component to VGA adapter. RCA to VGA just doesn't sound like something that will work....BTW, get your stuff from Monoprice rather than eBay, it's usually cheaper.

post #1847 of 2168 Old 04-01-2012, 09:53 AM

Guys i have news about Qumi wifi dongle. It based on EDIMAX EW-7711UTn Ralink RT2870 chipset. It's old chip and dongles now not available on ebay or amazon. If anybody have dongles on this chip, please try to run it on Qumi.
post #1848 of 2168 Old 04-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
What can you do with the Qumi and wifi? Stream?
post #1849 of 2168 Old 04-02-2012, 02:53 AM

Thanks buddy appreciate the help...that works like you said indeed...Have to buy DLP link glasses now... Any suggestions, do the sony TDG-BR250 work with this one?

Quote:

That's basically it. A pain, yes. Can it be done. Yes, if you trouble shoot a lot and find out which part isn't working. It's usually the part of getting the resolution to run at that correctly. Even my AMD 6970 wasn't detecting that resolution correctly and therefore the pin mod had to be done. Is it worth it. I'm going to lean towards the no side now that I've had such an easy and wonderful experience with the Viewsonic. But once you have the magic setup, you can completely enjoy the 3D on this setup.

post #1850 of 2168 Old 04-02-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:

So, Qumi is a bit of a half way attempt at getting 3D sadly to say but it can be done. Now just for info I did return my Qumi for a third time because one of the panels went bad and I ended up getting the Viewsonic PLED W-500 because of it's ability to do 3D over HDMI with VP1 thing that is like the Optoma 3D-XL. So I can't do any further testing, but this is what I did get established on it.

So, yes Sterescopic Player is a must. The next thing is you need to be able to use a VGA cable, one that is marketed as SVGA from like monoprice, etc, and a graphics card capable of setting it to 1280*800 at 120Hz. The trick for most you will be getting this setup this way. For my little laptop which had a measley intel graphics chip I was able to get it set at this resolution by bending one of the pins, can't remember which at the moment. But if you have a upper scale graphics card then you can probably do this resolution just fine. Then comes the trickery for the content. So, there's no way for you to play a 3D bluray on any other player accept from Stereoscopic player, and you have to have a decryptor like AnyDVDHD or DVDFab I think also has one for Bluray. Stereoscopic player will not decrypt it for you. Your setup will be pageflipping software in Stereoscopic player in the viewing method. Then choose open file from Stereoscopic player and load up an SSIF file from the stream folder. That's it for playing it.

For the glasses and setup of projector. There's an advanced menu at the far right tab and under that advanced is 3D. If you're going to use DLP link, then you need DLP link glasses and it syncs up just fine. If you choose IR, then you need to have an emitter hooked up to it and choose that setting and obviously have the glasses.

I still can not get the 3d to work. Can you please help. I have the qumi hooked up to my pc via the VGA cable that came with the qumi and my resolution is set to 1280x 768 at 120hZ, and I am try to play final destination 3d off my hard drive in stereoscopic player with page flipping, but it still does not work. I have a pair of expand X102 dlp glasses. Any help would be appreciated.
post #1851 of 2168 Old 04-02-2012, 10:02 AM

Were you able to turn on the DLP link in the Advanced>3d settings menu in the projector...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonahunjan View Post

I still can not get the 3d to work. Can you please help. I have the qumi hooked up to my pc via the VGA cable that came with the qumi and my resolution is set to 1280x 768 at 120hZ, and I am try to play final destination 3d off my hard drive in stereoscopic player with page flipping, but it still does not work. I have a pair of expand X102 dlp glasses. Any help would be appreciated.

post #1852 of 2168 Old 04-02-2012, 12:07 PM

yes i could select it, so do you know my problem than? Do I need to use anydvd if the movie is on my hard drive or any special settings in stereoscopic player? Thanks for helping.
post #1853 of 2168 Old 04-02-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

I'm not sure there's any projector that passes the hand puppet test.

There's a whole forum dedicated to them.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Unfortunately companies have insisted that digital projectors are better... so we get hand puppet black screens now
post #1854 of 2168 Old 04-09-2012, 11:34 PM

You have to select software pageflipping in stereoscopic player as viewing method and DLP link on projector to get it sync with your glasses...I believe this should work, btw are you trying a brrip file?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonahunjan View Post

yes i could select it, so do you know my problem than? Do I need to use anydvd if the movie is on my hard drive or any special settings in stereoscopic player? Thanks for helping.

post #1855 of 2168 Old 04-10-2012, 12:15 PM

Yeh it is a brrip, I hope thats not the problem though, is it? If not, I do have it on pageflipping and dlp link on the projector. So does it matter that I have a crappy graphics card, nvidia 260gtx? Thanks for your help though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesterjive View Post

You have to select software pageflipping in stereoscopic player as viewing method and DLP link on projector to get it sync with your glasses...I believe this should work, btw are you trying a brrip file?

post #1856 of 2168 Old 04-10-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

260 wont do 3d-need a 430 or better
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-visi...rce-cards.html

(fifth element)
post #1857 of 2168 Old 04-11-2012, 07:10 AM

But the immortaljman did it on an intel integrated gpu and i know mine is definitely above that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat View Post

260 wont do 3d-need a 430 or better
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-visi...rce-cards.html

post #1858 of 2168 Old 04-29-2012, 04:45 PM

I just bought one of this. Is there any known problems with HDMI switchers? I have an HDMI switcher that I've tested to be working on my tv. However, using it with the QUMI, it's never able to find the signal
post #1859 of 2168 Old 04-29-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babablue View Post

I just bought one of this. Is there any known problems with HDMI switchers? I have an HDMI switcher that I've tested to be working on my tv. However, using it with the QUMI, it's never able to find the signal

Try turning auto source to off in the installation II menu. If i remember correctly i had to do this with mine when I used my switcher.
post #1860 of 2168 Old 04-29-2012, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by babablue View Post

I bought an hdmi switcher too, I need to connect the qumi to the ps3 and xbox360, but sometimes it worked great and sometimes there were a lot of image noise, the solution I found was to put the ps3 or whatever other source to 720p, and that solved the problem, if you put the source to 1080p you'll have problem with the signal, hope this helps.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Vivitek Qumi Q2 300 Lumen Wxga Hdmi 3d Ready Pocket Dlp Projector White

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page