VIVITEK QUMI LED 1280x800 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 2168 Old 05-02-2011, 07:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Bsims2719's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just ordered a Qumi from Amazon. Obviously they didn't give a ship date. Any word on when they arrive in the states?
Bsims2719 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 2168 Old 05-02-2011, 07:15 PM
Senior Member
 
PoisonWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am really looking forward to see how this performs. Anyone concerned about the cooling on such a compact unit?
PoisonWolf is offline  
post #183 of 2168 Old 05-02-2011, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Robert Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: The OC
Posts: 4,201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsims2719 View Post

I just ordered a Qumi from Amazon. Obviously they didn't give a ship date. Any word on when they arrive in the states?

My order said estimated delivery date May 20th to the 24th.

Robert Clark
Robert Clark is offline  
post #184 of 2168 Old 05-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Member
 
isaacmart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I too ordered one from Amazon but i noticed they had two of them one with the actual qumi picture and the other had another vivitek projector. I also didnt get an estimated date and i ordered the one with the actual picture of the qumi.So Robert which one did you order. The one with the qumi pic said out of stock the other with that other projector pic said usually ships within 2-3 weeks.
isaacmart is offline  
post #185 of 2168 Old 05-03-2011, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Robert Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: The OC
Posts: 4,201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacmart View Post

I too ordered one from Amazon but i noticed they had two of them one with the actual qumi picture and the other had another vivitek projector. I also didnt get an estimated date and i ordered the one with the actual picture of the qumi.So Robert which one did you order. The one with the qumi pic said out of stock the other with that other projector pic said usually ships within 2-3 weeks.

The Qumi with the generic picture. It also lists the color as black which was the deciding point for me. I'm not concerned as it is being sold directly from amazon and if it's not the Qumi I'll just return it.

Robert Clark
Robert Clark is offline  
post #186 of 2168 Old 05-03-2011, 05:04 PM
Member
 
isaacmart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for that I miss that completely. I to wanted the black so I changed my order and now I have the same estimated delivery date for the 24th - 28thof May.
isaacmart is offline  
post #187 of 2168 Old 05-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Senior Member
 
KadMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Alexandria, KY
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I went with black from Amazon as well. I just prefer black for most electronics, so it was a default choice for me. Not to mention that I'd rather take my chances with quoted stock dates vs the great unknown. I think the white model looks pretty sharp with the contrast of the lighted controls. If they suddenly listed the same shipping dates for white then I might actually be tempted.

I have a Prime membership and sprung for the $3.99 overnight shipping. Not sure if it will make a difference in the end, but whatever.
KadMan is offline  
post #188 of 2168 Old 05-03-2011, 05:35 PM
Senior Member
 
KadMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Alexandria, KY
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonWolf View Post

I am really looking forward to see how this performs. Anyone concerned about the cooling on such a compact unit?

I have an Optoma PK301. If you want to see concern over heat, get close to one of those. Much smaller than this and it can blister paint at a range of 3 feet.

(...but mine keeps on ticking)
KadMan is offline  
post #189 of 2168 Old 05-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Bsims2719's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KadMan View Post

I went with black from Amazon as well. I just prefer black for most electronics, so it was a default choice for me. Not to mention that I'd rather take my chances with quoted stock dates vs the great unknown. I think the white model looks pretty sharp with the contrast of the lighted controls. If they suddenly listed the same shipping dates for white then I might actually be tempted.

I have a Prime membership and sprung for the $3.99 overnight shipping. Not sure if it will make a difference in the end, but whatever.

I didn't see the option for black when I ordered mine. This was Amazon right? US?
Bsims2719 is offline  
post #190 of 2168 Old 05-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Senior Member
 
KadMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Alexandria, KY
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Correct. Amazon in the US.

http://www.amazon.com/Vivitek-Q2-3D-...4430595&sr=1-1

The pic is wrong but I assume it's just because they weren't given a set of marketing photos in black. The name and description are correct.
KadMan is offline  
post #191 of 2168 Old 05-03-2011, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Robert Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: The OC
Posts: 4,201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by KadMan View Post

I have an Optoma PK301. If you want to see concern over heat, get close to one of those. Much smaller than this and it can blister paint at a range of 3 feet.

(...but mine keeps on ticking)

I have an optoma PK201 and it gets quite hot as well and no fan.

Robert Clark
Robert Clark is offline  
post #192 of 2168 Old 05-03-2011, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MCaugusto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: BOSTON --- MA ---
Posts: 1,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post

I have an optoma PK201 and it gets quite hot as well and no fan.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a LG HX300 that runs an average of 10/12 hours per day and whenever placing my hands on the case to check for its temperature, it is always barely warm to the touch with the fan running on low.
I would certainly expect the Vivitek Qumi to perform similarly...
MCaugusto is online now  
post #193 of 2168 Old 05-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Senior Member
 
PoisonWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a LG HX300 that runs an average of 10/12 hours per day and whenever placing my hands on the case to check for its temperature, it is always barely warm to the touch with the fan running on low.
I would certainly expect the Vivitek Qumi to perform similarly...

For some reason, the size of the Qumi, and the lens size doesnt sit well with me....
PoisonWolf is offline  
post #194 of 2168 Old 05-03-2011, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eat meat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
well..
LL
LL

__________________________________________
Are you classified as human? Negative, I am a meat Popsicle.

(fifth element)
__________________________________________
eat meat is offline  
post #195 of 2168 Old 05-03-2011, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 273
I just got my order in at Amazon for a white one. I have a number of other projectors, the JVC RS50, Mitsubishi HC5500 and Acer 3D DLP but this one is interesting because it's small and has the LED lamp which I can just turn on/off without worrying about lamp strikes.

I am thinking about setting up my old 92" 2.8 High power screen, I think it will be ok with only 300 lumens if the projector is on-axis with the HP screen. It's mainly going to be for TV watching.

I already have 3D with the Acer which is 800 lumens in 3D mode and the JVC RS50 which also has 3D. It will be curious to see how 3D mode looks on this small projector.
zombie10k is online now  
post #196 of 2168 Old 05-03-2011, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 3,566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I just got my order in at Amazon for a white one. I have a number of other projectors, the JVC RS50, Mitsubishi HC5500 and Acer 3D DLP but this one is interesting because it's small and has the LED lamp which I can just turn on/off without worrying about lamp strikes.

I am thinking about setting up my old 92" 2.8 High power screen, I think it will be ok with only 300 lumens if the projector is on-axis with the HP screen. It's mainly going to be for TV watching.

I already have 3D with the Acer which is 800 lumens in 3D mode and the JVC RS50 which also has 3D. It will be curious to see how 3D mode looks on this small projector.

I can't wait to see how you like it, its low in price I'm thinking about buying some type of led in June for cheap. Before I jump ship I have to see how people like it first
blee0120 is offline  
post #197 of 2168 Old 05-04-2011, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Robert Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: The OC
Posts: 4,201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a LG HX300 that runs an average of 10/12 hours per day and whenever placing my hands on the case to check for its temperature, it is always barely warm to the touch with the fan running on low.
I would certainly expect the Vivitek Qumi to perform similarly...

Yes, I just sold my LG HX300 in preparation for the Qumi and it was quite cool (but my Optoma is very hot).

Robert Clark
Robert Clark is offline  
post #198 of 2168 Old 05-04-2011, 06:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Bsims2719's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I don't understand the heat/noise thing. According to the Vivitek website the maximum power is 85 watts. Assuming worst case in that all of the current is converted to heat it would be the same as an 85 watt lightbulb. This is not that much heat? You could almost dissipate that with natural convection.
Bsims2719 is offline  
post #199 of 2168 Old 05-04-2011, 06:26 PM
Member
 
Lexor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey folks, I too am waiting for an LED projector that's 720p (or better) in the "up to $1000" range as my first and only projector, the Epson Home 10+ has dust bunnies in the imaging engine and the current and hopefully last bulb is on its last legs.

I almost caved and got the Acer K11 last weekend. A friend has one (he might even have the K10) and it projects a very decent image even in a moderately darkened room (but we're usually watching hockey with bright white ice lol). I'm very prone to notice the rainbow effect but it's not altogether too bad with this unit. My biggest (only ?) problem with the K11 is the native resolution.

I also had my eye on the Casio XJ-A240 for a long while but hesitated on pulling the trigger, partly because of the price, partly because of the fan noise and efficiency (at full blast this "green" unit uses more power than my old Epson -- frickin' lasers !). I also crave separate VGA, component, and HDMI inputs but as these units get smaller I should probably just give up hope here. Since the LED and laser lights are red, green, and blue, there's no colour wheel and that should mean no rainbow effect so maybe I need to take a second (seventh ?? lol) look at the Casio.

But then I found out about the Qumi thanks to this thread and I started getting excited. I am not too concerned that the fans in the shipping units will be too noisy, 300 lumens seems fine, 720p is great, 3D one day would be fun for an hour or two lol. And all at a very decent price. What's there not to love ?

But then I read this entire thread today, and it still seems that the Qumi won't be offering ceiling mount capabilities... WTF ??? All they have to do is generate the image upside-down. With a unit this light a tripod mount hole should be plenty fine for hanging it off a ceiling mount but it just won't work if the unit won't project an upside-down image. I don't see myself projecting on a down angle from a "ceiling shelf".

It seems to offer rear-projection, ie. backwards imaging, so I'll be really confused if they just don't give customers the option of projecting upside down whether they think there are proper mount points or not.

To be honest ceiling mount is not an option for me -- it's ceiling or nothing for my next projector. The kid-on-xmas-eve-effect is gone for me now for the Qumi.

Here I was thinking I might need to wait a few weeks for my next projector, and now I am wondering if I need to wait a few months for the new Acer... or maybe I cave and just get the Casio... ugh.

Regards,
Lex
Lexor is offline  
post #200 of 2168 Old 05-04-2011, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eat meat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexor View Post

Hey folks, I too am waiting for an LED projector that's 720p (or better) in the "up to $1000" range as my first and only projector, the Epson Home 10+ has dust bunnies in the imaging engine and the current and hopefully last bulb is on its last legs.

I almost caved and got the Acer K11 last weekend. A friend has one (he might even have the K10) and it projects a very decent image even in a moderately darkened room (but we're usually watching hockey with bright white ice lol). I'm very prone to notice the rainbow effect but it's not altogether too bad with this unit. My biggest (only ?) problem with the K11 is the native resolution.

I also had my eye on the Casio XJ-A240 for a long while but hesitated on pulling the trigger, partly because of the price, partly because of the fan noise and efficiency (at full blast this "green" unit uses more power than my old Epson -- frickin' lasers !). I also crave separate VGA, component, and HDMI inputs but as these units get smaller I should probably just give up hope here. Since the LED and laser lights are red, green, and blue, there's no colour wheel and that should mean no rainbow effect so maybe I need to take a second (seventh ?? lol) look at the Casio.

But then I found out about the Qumi thanks to this thread and I started getting excited. I am not too concerned that the fans in the shipping units will be too noisy, 300 lumens seems fine, 720p is great, 3D one day would be fun for an hour or two lol. And all at a very decent price. What's there not to love ?

But then I read this entire thread today, and it still seems that the Qumi won't be offering ceiling mount capabilities... WTF ??? All they have to do is generate the image upside-down. With a unit this light a tripod mount hole should be plenty fine for hanging it off a ceiling mount but it just won't work if the unit won't project an upside-down image. I don't see myself projecting on a down angle from a "ceiling shelf".

It seems to offer rear-projection, ie. backwards imaging, so I'll be really confused if they just don't give customers the option of projecting upside down whether they think there are proper mount points or not.

To be honest ceiling mount is not an option for me -- it's ceiling or nothing for my next projector. The kid-on-xmas-eve-effect is gone for me now for the Qumi.

Here I was thinking I might need to wait a few weeks for my next projector, and now I am wondering if I need to wait a few months for the new Acer... or maybe I cave and just get the Casio... ugh.

the qumi will probably be able to be ceiling mounted like all pocket pjs are(even the pt100 has invert options).the casio puts out around 7 times the lumens so yea it will take more power.And the new casios will be quieter and will do dlp link 3d.Really the casio is a whole other level than pure led.

__________________________________________
Are you classified as human? Negative, I am a meat Popsicle.

(fifth element)
__________________________________________
eat meat is offline  
post #201 of 2168 Old 05-04-2011, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eat meat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you see rainbows on the k11-10 a colorwheel less PJ you should check crt PJ,s probably,the casios use only blue lasers and a phospher wheel and a red led.The green that casio refers to is mercury less bulbs-not power consumption.yes the over twice as bright2500lumen at270 watts casio uses more power than the home 10+ at 200watts 1200 lumens

__________________________________________
Are you classified as human? Negative, I am a meat Popsicle.

(fifth element)
__________________________________________
eat meat is offline  
post #202 of 2168 Old 05-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
DLPProjectorfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
MCaugusto ? I still got my LG HX300, the movies are ok with it, disappointed with using it on the Play Station 3 for games even with HDMI.
What would I expect to gt for it if I sold it ? it only has about 40 hours of time on it.
I don't know about the Vivitek Qumi , 300 Lumens ? not much jump from the LG HX300.
What would the improvement of resolution be expected on the Qumi from the LG HX300 ?
Maybe I should wait for the Acer with 500 Lumens ? that might be coming out later ?
DLPProjectorfan is offline  
post #203 of 2168 Old 05-05-2011, 12:59 AM
Senior Member
 
PoisonWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPProjectorfan View Post

MCaugusto ? I still got my LG HX300, the movies are ok with it, disappointed with using it on the Play Station 3 for games even with HDMI.
What would I expect to gt for it if I sold it ? it only has about 40 hours of time on it.
I don't know about the Vivitek Qumi , 300 Lumens ? not much jump from the LG HX300.
What would the improvement of resolution be expected on the Qumi from the LG HX300 ?
Maybe I should wait for the Acer with 500 Lumens ? that might be coming out later ?

The increase in resolution is about 30% greater (from 1024x768 > 1280x800). Although not just being about pixels, you'll also be able to utilize more of the screen's real estate since more content is generated in widescreen format.

It's odd that you say that movies are only okay with it, what parts about that is disappointing (i.e., not sharp enough, etc), might I ask?
PoisonWolf is offline  
post #204 of 2168 Old 05-05-2011, 06:49 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat View Post

well..

As far as physical size related on-off contrast goes, the pico supposed to have 1000:1 native contrast while darkchip3's have 2500:1 ?

I think 1000:1 on off is good enough, but we'll see.

I think its good enough, because on cheaper DC3 pj's the contrast is spoiled anyway because of inadequate light dump design & you have exactly 1000:1 at 120hz.

My issue is the lack of communication about 2D 120hz. Is it the same brightness , hold time , etc...
gain3 is offline  
post #205 of 2168 Old 05-05-2011, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
eat meat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Contrast (Full On/Off) : 2500:1
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Vivitek-Qumi.htm

__________________________________________
Are you classified as human? Negative, I am a meat Popsicle.

(fifth element)
__________________________________________
eat meat is offline  
post #206 of 2168 Old 05-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thats not native for sure. Someone can ask about 2D 120hz brightness?

I don't have a "legit" facebook account : D
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?ui...19&topic=46820
gain3 is offline  
post #207 of 2168 Old 05-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
action_jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 23
BestBuy now has it listed on their site as coming soon, price $799.99. Estimated arrival date is May 16th-23rd with standard, and 16th-17th with express. Hope the price is listed wrong.

Anyone know the lens offset?

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Paradigm PS-1200 Sub
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________Polk bookshelf for Surrounds
action_jackson is offline  
post #208 of 2168 Old 05-05-2011, 08:30 PM
Member
 
crazedmodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsims2719 View Post

I don't understand the heat/noise thing. According to the Vivitek website the maximum power is 85 watts. Assuming worst case in that all of the current is converted to heat it would be the same as an 85 watt lightbulb. This is not that much heat? You could almost dissipate that with natural convection.

85W is quite a bit of heat. Do not forget that light bulbs are made of materials that can take high temperatures (pretty much just metal and glass) and they work better when they are hotter (to an extent). This goes for incandescent and halogen bulbs (think HIR, which are designed to keep heat within the bulb). LEDs are like integrated circuits in that they despise heat so for equivalent wattages to bulb projectors they will probably need better cooling. Most LEDs have their brightness rated at 21C or 25C and if you check this datasheet for the PhlatLight CBT-90-W you'll see on page 6 that maximum temperature is 150C but when you check page 7 you can tell by the "Median Lifetime" chart how drastically the lifespan of the LED changes. Also that is junction temperature, the temperature coming out will be lower. Add that in with the tiny size of these units which has components that are more tightly packed and harder to ventilate and you will need some good cooling. 1W LEDs can use small to medium sized passive cooling, 5W and you need larger heatsinks, 10W+ you better have some huge heatsinks or active cooling. These units probably have small heatsinks, they need a way to get the heat out and the unit is small so they have to use small fans which need to run faster to move the same amount of air as larger fans that run at lower speeds.

Anyways, this Qumi needs some reviews to come out. They are nearing release date but are not trying to drum up interest by sending out units? My HD70 bulb just blew with ~3200 hours on it and I do not plan on getting another bulb projector. For me its Qumi, Casio (a bit too pricey though) or a 32-40" TV (yuck).
crazedmodder is offline  
post #209 of 2168 Old 05-05-2011, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Robert Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: The OC
Posts: 4,201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Just use amazon.

Robert Clark
Robert Clark is offline  
post #210 of 2168 Old 05-06-2011, 02:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Bsims2719's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedmodder View Post

85W is quite a bit of heat. Do not forget that light bulbs are made of materials that can take high temperatures (pretty much just metal and glass) and they work better when they are hotter (to an extent). This goes for incandescent and halogen bulbs (think HIR, which are designed to keep heat within the bulb). LEDs are like integrated circuits in that they despise heat so for equivalent wattages to bulb projectors they will probably need better cooling. Most LEDs have their brightness rated at 21C or 25C and if you check this datasheet for the PhlatLight CBT-90-W you'll see on page 6 that maximum temperature is 150C but when you check page 7 you can tell by the "Median Lifetime" chart how drastically the lifespan of the LED changes. Also that is junction temperature, the temperature coming out will be lower. Add that in with the tiny size of these units which has components that are more tightly packed and harder to ventilate and you will need some good cooling. 1W LEDs can use small to medium sized passive cooling, 5W and you need larger heatsinks, 10W+ you better have some huge heatsinks or active cooling. These units probably have small heatsinks, they need a way to get the heat out and the unit is small so they have to use small fans which need to run faster to move the same amount of air as larger fans that run at lower speeds.

Anyways, this Qumi needs some reviews to come out. They are nearing release date but are not trying to drum up interest by sending out units? My HD70 bulb just blew with ~3200 hours on it and I do not plan on getting another bulb projector. For me its Qumi, Casio (a bit too pricey though) or a 32-40" TV (yuck).

As far as heat generation I was thinking in relative terms. One of the main advantages of LEDs was that they are more efficient, produce less heat, than standard bulbs. However trying to make these projectors so small they have become really inefficient at removing heat due to the limited fan size. If you were to put this same light engine into a form factor or case size of a typical projector (larger fan) the noise level would drop much lower.

To me some company could really hit a home run by putting an LED light engine in a typical home theater projector. Give us a larger fan, a zoom lens and about 400 lumens and it would sell like crazy. If Vivitek can make a profit at 499 surely they could make something like this for under a grand.
Bsims2719 is offline  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Vivitek Qumi Q2 300 Lumen Wxga Hdmi 3d Ready Pocket Dlp Projector White

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off