AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/)
-   -   VIVITEK QUMI LED 1280x800 (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/1304775-vivitek-qumi-led-1280x800.html)

boltonebob 01-06-2011 08:19 PM

Vivitek Corporation, a leading manufacturer of innovative visual presentation products, enters the Pico projector category with the Qumi, the company’s new line of LED-based pocket projectors. To maximize the company’s strength in LED-based projectors, the new Qumi (pronounced Q-me) projectors enhance Vivitek’s family of projection devices for a wide range of applications.

“We know that hours of operation, brightness and picture quality are key factors for users. The Qumi projectors incorporate the latest LED and other leading-edge technologies and features, such as 3D, to ensure that it is versatile enough to match the range of portable products out in the market.”
Weighing in at only 1.6 pounds, the Qumi is the first pocket projector to be 3D-ready via Texas Instruments’ DLP® Link™ technology. The Qumi’s touch sensitive button controls and sleek design is ready to be used with a variety of devices, including, but not limited to digital cameras, laptops, smart phones and tablets. Vivitek’s Qumi projector is versatile and portable enough for both work and play, making it ideal for sharing digital content.

“With the Qumi line of LED-based projectors, Vivitek now has a complete line of projector models to fit just about any need and application,” said Christopher Yang, senior product manager at Vivitek. “We know that hours of operation, brightness and picture quality are key factors for users. The Qumi projectors incorporate the latest LED and other leading-edge technologies and features, such as 3D, to ensure that it is versatile enough to match the range of portable products out in the market.”

Qumi Key Features/Specifications:

Native WXGA (1280x800) resolution
Up to 300 lumens of brightness and a 2500:1 contrast ratio
3D-Ready (via DLP Link) and a DLP chipset from Texas Instruments
1.6 pounds; Dimensions: 6.3”(w) x 1.2”(h) x 3.9”(d)
30,000+ estimated LED hours of operation
Connectivity options include: Mini-HDMI, Universal I/O (24-pin connector for VGA/component input), 3.5mm video-in, 3.5mm mini-jack audio-out
USB and MicroSD slots for content and memory expansion
Built-in 1W speaker
Offered in a black or white finish
Available in May 2011; Estimated street price of $499.00(USD)

* Information courtesy of buisnesswire.com






boltonebob 01-06-2011 08:34 PM

Would like to see how this matches up against the LG LED projectors like the HS201 and HX300.
Role on May!

Verge2 01-06-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltonebob View Post

Would like to see how this matches up against the LG LED projectors like the HS201 and HX300.
Role on May!

Based on manufacturers specs, they are in different leagues.

Have to compare it to lg's new one.

travis_bickle 01-07-2011 02:47 AM

DLP Link -> 120hz -> no 3:2 Pulldown with 24p

So even if 300 lumen is not enough for 3d (with glasses on its about 60 lumen) DLP Link has its advantages^^

Trogdor2010 01-07-2011 06:32 AM

At 300 lumens, it's really a home theater projector the size of a pico projector. I like it!

Xavier1 01-07-2011 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor2010 View Post

At 300 lumens, it's really a home theater projector the size of a pico projector. I like it!

This looks really great. Might be nice for a smaller screen (60" or so). Although I wonder what the best mode brightness is like? 300 is the wacked-out color mode, but is 200 lumens reasonable (from previous pico projectors). And do these units have a focus ring, or is the focus pre-set?

travis_bickle 01-07-2011 09:45 AM

i've had the lg hs 100 and even with its 100 lm the picture was quite enjoyable in terms of brightness at 60'' and in dark room. so with the qumi you should be able to go further. i would say 100 '' should be possible. but the question is how pleasant the experience stays when wearing 3d-glasses. you have only 20% of the brightness. that could be a problem at 100'' even in dark rooms. but at the other hand i'm skeptic about 3d at all, so its not a crucial factor. i'm so happy to see that 2011 will finally be the year when led-projectors with its long lifespan reaching the hd barrier. can't find sleep for the next 4 months till watching my favorites at 100'' without thinking about cost of operation. good start in 2011

Xavier1 01-07-2011 03:02 PM

I just read the LG HX300G review to get an idea of what the Qumi brightness will be. It uses the same or similar LED light source (uses a 1024x768 chip, larger in size). Its rated at 300 lumens. ProjectorCentral measured it at 184 Lumens in its Cinema Mode, which is its mode with best colour.

That is quite bright for a pico projector! But 3D mode will require a smaller screen IMO. I like a bright image, and 3D really kills the brightness. But on the plus side, the features of this unit are outstanding! DLP really has a game-changer here with this new tiny chip!

eat meat 01-07-2011 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier1 View Post
I just read the LG HX300G review to get an idea of what the Qumi brightness will be. It uses the same or similar LED light source (uses a 1024x768 chip, larger in size). Its rated at 300 lumens. ProjectorCentral measured it at 184 Lumens in its Cinema Mode, which is its mode with best colour.

That is quite bright for a pico projector! But 3D mode will require a smaller screen IMO. I like a bright image, and 3D really kills the brightness. But on the plus side, the features of this unit are outstanding! DLP really has a game-changer here with this new tiny chip!
this is the new one
Quote:
the LG HW300T has a 1200 x 800 resolution, 250 ANSI lumens brightness, 2,000:1 contrast ratio and HDMI socket.

travis_bickle 01-07-2011 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier1 View Post
Its rated at 300 lumens. ProjectorCentral measured it at 184 Lumens in its Cinema Mode, which is its mode with best colour.
don't forget about the "Helmholtz-Kohlrausch-Effekt"

eat meat 01-07-2011 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis_bickle View Post
don't forget about the "Helmholtz-Kohlrausch-Effekt"
not necessarily a good thing,different colors are affected to varying levels, the perception from the viewer which can vary greatly.

travis_bickle 01-08-2011 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat View Post

not necessarily a good thing,different colors are affected to varying levels, the perception from the viewer which can vary greatly.

in most cases you dont have pure colors projected to the screen, so it would stand out that the "Helmholtz-Kohlrausch-Effekt" is not present at yellow for example. overall and for the majority of consumers the brightness appears to be higher than it should be considering the specs caused by the very good color saturation of led projectors

MCaugusto 01-10-2011 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis_bickle View Post
don't forget about the "Helmholtz-Kohlrausch-Effekt"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for bringing this up; i remember reading about it some time ago and forgotten.
Now it makes sense and helps explain why the minute i turned on either of the two LG LED pjs i've owned it seemed like the color cones in my retina went into some kind of " video color orgasm", i couldn't take my eyes off the screen because of the colors, specifically their saturation.
It left my good ol' CRT pj to shame : i immediately noticed the deeply saturated reds, unlike the calibrated CRT's "orangey red", purples/deep blues that i've never seen before, yellows, greens, cyan, magenta and orange had a similar effect, in sum, the entire color spectrum had some kind of radiance that i couldn't quite explain.
I thought to myself and still do, if this is oversaturated/innacurate LED colors, bring them on !

action_jackson 01-10-2011 07:44 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto
it seemed like the color cones in my retina went into some kind of " video color orgasm"
ROFL! That would be a great quote for a sales ad!

boltonebob 01-10-2011 10:13 PM

Video footage from CES of a Vivitek representative introducing the Qumi portable LED projector.

http://vimeo.com/18526270

MCaugusto 01-11-2011 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltonebob View Post

Video footage from CES of a Vivitek representative introducing the Qumi portable LED projector.

http://vimeo.com/18526270

________________________________________________________
Thanks for the link boltonbob.
When i watched the video for the Vivitek Qumi i was suprised by the fact that the touch-capacitive controls on top of the case look exactly like the same controls placed at the same location as on my previously owned LG HS-201. Hmm, what's up with that ?
Also, the fact that the Qumi does not have any of the wi-fi/DNLA capabilities of the upcoming LG HW300T but other than that has very/very similar specs (Hmm, what's up with that again ?) means that LG will sell its product for considerably more, i would imagine from $700 to $750.

eat meat 01-11-2011 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

________________________________________________________
Thanks for the link boltonbob.
When i watched the video for the Vivitek Qumi i was suprised by the fact that the touch-capacitive controls on top of the case look exactly like the same controls placed at the same location as on my previously owned LG HS-201. Hmm, what's up with that ?
Also, the fact that the Qumi does not have any of the wi-fi/DNLA capabilities of the upcoming LG HW300T but other than that has very/very similar specs (Hmm, what's up with that again ?) means that LG will sell its product for considerably more, i would imagine from $700 to $750.

are you kidding ,the 1024x768 lg is going for 700$
and yea every one is copying LG

MCaugusto 01-11-2011 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat View Post

are you kidding ,the 1024x768 lg is going for 700$
and yea every one is copying LG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I doubt very/very much that LG will increase the pricing of the HW300T above current msrp for the HX300G, especially now with this Vivitek pj.
I didn't imply that "everyone is copying LG"; I implied that based on specs, design and look, it's beginning to appear to my eyes that these pjs come from the same OEM, if it is LG, Vivitek or some other Chinese/Taiwanese/Korean manufacturer i can't tell which one.
Keep bringing on these inexpensive LED beauties boys !....

eat meat 01-11-2011 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I doubt very/very much that LG will increase the pricing of the HW300T above current msrp for the HX300G, especially now with this Vivitek pj.
.

hs201 800x600 is 500$ ,HX300G 1024x768 is 700$ and the HW300T 720p is gonna be______?
See a trend?

action_jackson 01-11-2011 02:50 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat View Post

hs201 800x600 is 500$ ,HX300G 1024x768 is 700$ and the HW300T 720p is gonna be______?
See a trend?

$900, HWU400T 1920 x 1200 $1100?

It is a little hard to find a trend with only two products to go by.

action_jackson 01-11-2011 03:01 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Anybody think one of these will be capable of producing a 143" image? My parents need to replace an aging Sanyo PLV Z2 on its 7th bulb.

boltonebob 01-11-2011 03:44 PM

The things I was wondering about from the video were:

1) Whether those lights on top of the projector actually go off after a while or whether they just stay on all the time, which could be annoying in a dark room.

2) How the throw distance is on this new projector.

entropy 01-12-2011 06:19 AM

It seems to me that if one wants HDMI, one is limited to this projector and the AAXA M2... but the M2 is only XGA. I'm surprised that more of these projectors aren't supporting some variety of digital input.

klas 01-12-2011 08:38 AM

I wonder if the power brick the same size as the projector...

Xavier1 01-12-2011 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson View Post

Anybody think one of these will be capable of producing a 143" image? My parents need to replace an aging Sanyo PLV Z2 on its 7th bulb.

Nope, not a chance. This is "rated" at 300 lumens, but probably half that with decent color. At around 150-180 lumens (guessing), I would go as big as 80", and even that would be dim. But some people get HP screens to go bigger.

klas 01-12-2011 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier1 View Post

Nope, not a chance. This is "rated" at 300 lumens, but probably half that with decent color. At around 150-180 lumens (guessing), I would go as big as 80", and even that would be dim. But some people get HP screens to go bigger.

I will disagree, I was pushing 100" just fine on a dark wall with HX300G and it's rated 270 lumens

action_jackson 01-12-2011 11:30 AM

6 Attachment(s)
At $500 I may have to buy one just to satisfy my curiosity. If nothing else, it could be used as a backup or for a bedroom.

eat meat 01-12-2011 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson View Post

At $500 I may have to buy one just to satisfy my curiosity. If nothing else, it could be used as a backup or for a bedroom.

me to.

afineman 01-12-2011 02:37 PM

Hey All

A lot of you know me from the HS201 thread, when I read about this projector I knew this was going to be my next step(how can you beat the MSRP).

For those who don't know what my projector path has been, I started with a Infocus X1 then to an Infocus IN 26 then to the LG HS 201 so when I get 1 my comments will be in comparison to those.

I know a few people, who know a few people and I got this E-mail today

Hi Brent -

Thank you for your interest in the Qumi projector. At this time, I don't have review units available yetthe product will start shipping in May, which means I should have units (crossing my fingers) in April.

I will put you on the list of review unit requests.

Best,

Joey


So hopefully I may get 1 a little early, and with my LG HS 201 just back from repair I should be all set for the next 3-4 months (I'm actually quit excited).

Just wanted to share the excitement

Brent

Verge2 01-12-2011 02:51 PM

Hope you get one, let us know.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.