CRE X1000 Worlds First 3 LED 3 LCD 1080p Projector..Anybody heard of these guys? - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1272 Old 06-22-2011, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've got one doing nothing--just sitting in a closet (have a VideoEQ now). It does grayscale and gamma perfectly. You can also adjust RGB, but it is not a full blown CMS. PM me if you are interested. Since I'm never going to use it again, I'll let it go real cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1272 Old 06-22-2011, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thxs appreciate the generous offer joikd

I think for now i`ll concentrate on getting a good meter, as its my PC that runs my whole setup.

The x-rite i1 display 3 should be able to calibrate the x1000 as it has a projector calibration function, it will do gamma , white points greyscales etc + has support for LED projectors.

Right now i`m thinking about the i1 display 3 without chromapure, or i could get the slightly cheaper colormunkie display 3 & then be able to afford chrompure standard. (hardware of the colormunkie is the same as i1display 3)

From what else i`ve gathered even if i was to get a DVDO or lumigen, i`ll still need a meter regardless.

I.e AVS forum sell DVDO duo + calman meter as a bundle.
post #723 of 1272 Old 06-22-2011, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post

color HCR = free. Worked with some of the old X-rite stuff, it might work with the display 3 and then you really save some money.

I didn't recommend this because it hasn't been updated in ages and won't likely support the new meter. The older 1LT's IMO are paperweights. There is such inconsistency between samples. I had 3 of them for a test and each one turned out completely different results. It had most difficulty with RED values and was off by as much as 30%.

SMJ - If you get the Display 3 from Tom @ Chromapure, he will calibrate it against a 10k reference meter and build in the custom offset into your chromapure license key. This way you are guaranteed to get as accurate as possible with amateur equipment - Otherwise it's a guessing game with whatever meter you buy to know if it's correct or not.

I have the Chroma 5 pro (calibrated) with the Chromapure license. Chromapure is a light year ahead of Color HCR and much easier to use. It follows the typical workflow needed to adjust greyscale, CMS (if it has one), etc.

Can you tell us what kind of controls in the menus the CRE has for adjusting grey scale, gamma and does it have some kind of built in CMS?
post #724 of 1272 Old 06-22-2011, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
For narrow spectrum lightsources such as LED or LASER one needs a narrow bandwidth meter. Those are expensive, generally radiospectrometers with 5-2 nm capabilities.
post #725 of 1272 Old 06-22-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

If you get the Display 3 from Tom @ Chromapure, he will calibrate it against a 10k reference meter and build in the custom offset into your chromapure license key. ?

Yeh i`m looking at getting a configured one, ive heard the colormunkie display is exactly the same as the i1 display 3 being the only difference is the x-rite bundled software. Chromapure should get 100% out of the device.

As for CRE projector controls, its pretty basic, no greyscale or white settings. leaving only brightness, contrast, saturation etc.

As my setup is a HTPC this makes it alot easier, i`ve read some good stuff on the web and seems all i need is a decent light meter + chromapure.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=852536

Also the new display 3`s have configuration for LED projectors
post #726 of 1272 Old 06-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
So if the CRE doesn't have gamma and CMS controls how are you going to calibrate with CP and Display 3 ? You will do the tuning in HTPC ?
post #727 of 1272 Old 06-22-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

You will do the tuning in HTPC ?

Well..i`m still learning, but as far as i can tell; calman & chromapure are PC/MAC software to be used with a PC/MAC usb meter.

The i1 display 3 & colormunkie have tools used for PC projector/photography calibration creating a new CMS colorchart for your computer.

It has a sensor that you hang or point at your screen then reads the colors of your projector are displaying, by comparing the actual colors read to the colors it expects to see then creates a new color setting.

The devices are mainly for people using art tools like photoshop and professional photographers using their PC/ MAC, to get the correct colors for printer output & display.

Youtube vid on how it works on monitors and projectors.

My bluray player is my PC anyways , seems HTPC is the way to go
post #728 of 1272 Old 06-22-2011, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I have used my Chroma 5 meter to calibrate my Dell 24", but it has a full 6 axis CMS built in, so I am directly controlling the monitor CMS to adapt to the changes necessary for correct D65 calibration.

How are you planning to calibrate the CRE without a CMS? Are you messing around with powerstrip or some other HTPC software?

I use an HTPC with my JVC RS50 and Acer 5360 3D DLP, but never considered trying to calibrate either with the HTPC. There would have to be an application that allows full control of the greyscale and saturation, hue and luminance for each individual primary and secondary color.
post #729 of 1272 Old 06-22-2011, 05:13 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

I didn't recommend this because it hasn't been updated in ages and won't likely support the new meter. The older 1LT's IMO are paperweights. There is such inconsistency between samples. I had 3 of them for a test and each one turned out completely different results. It had most difficulty with RED values and was off by as much as 30%.

SMJ - If you get the Display 3 from Tom @ Chromapure, he will calibrate it against a 10k reference meter and build in the custom offset into your chromapure license key. This way you are guaranteed to get as accurate as possible with amateur equipment - Otherwise it's a guessing game with whatever meter you buy to know if it's correct or not.

I have the Chroma 5 pro (calibrated) with the Chromapure license. Chromapure is a light year ahead of Color HCR and much easier to use. It follows the typical workflow needed to adjust greyscale, CMS (if it has one), etc.

Can you tell us what kind of controls in the menus the CRE has for adjusting grey scale, gamma and does it have some kind of built in CMS?

I agree. I purchased the previous 2 version and it was bad.

Notice what Huffman states about LCD displays:
"The Display 3's accuracy is reasonably consistent when reading CRTs, plasmas, and front projector screens. The biggest problem by far lies with LCDs. Using the Standard mode the Display 3 may read one LCD very accurately and yet be considerably off on another. There simply is no consistency when reading LCDs. Contrary to one widely-repeated myth, this is not an issue directly related to the difference between CCFL backlit and LED backlit displays. Some LED displays actually give the Display 3 less trouble than their CCFL counterparts. Also, the Display 3 can maintain considerably different levels of accuracy when comparing two CCFL displays. The problem isn't with LED backlighting. The problem is LCDs period. To address this problem, the Display 3 PRO ships with 5 different LCD modes. We may add additional LCD modes as needed."

In any event SMJ this is a nice find. I may purchase the bundle to go along with the Sony 30ES which has new refined calibration controls:
"RCP (Real Color Processing) Ver.2
The VPL-HW30ES offers an "RCP (Real Color Processing)
function to adjust the colour and hue of each target colour of the projected picture independently.
Additionally, version 2 adds the ability to adjust the brightness at the same time. With this capability,
dealer and enthusiastic users can tweak the images to perfection."

Methinks you are about to outgrow this projector. Refinement or knowledge is expensive
post #730 of 1272 Old 06-22-2011, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hopefully this projector will open the floodgates and we'll see the main players come out with reasonably priced LED units. If one of the established names came out with a DLP LED projector under $3,000, I'd likely buy it. If this company comes out with one... I'd probably wait for a review before buying.

This unit would be tempting if I didn't have to worry about $200 shipping for repairs, and could be guaranteed a unit with perfect panel alignment. And the inorganic panels... and the unknown real-world performance...

I really appreciate what SMJ has done up to this point. But what this unit really needs now is to find it's way to a professional review house with thousands of dollars worth of professional grade test equipment so we can know the real deal.

If they priced this unit at under $1000, it would be REALLY tempting.
post #731 of 1272 Old 06-22-2011, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I have said it before and will say it again. Thanks SMJ for bringing this unit to our attention and hopefully other manufacturers. You bought this projector on a budget and nobody expects you to sink thousands into evaluating it. I again suggest that you simply enjoy the unit. Or perhaps what you are doing now brings you enjoyment in which case then have fun with it.

Sooner or later one of these units will end up in the hands of someone with the wherewithall to put it through the wringer. If you are that curious perhaps you might seek out some installers or reviewers in your neck of the woods and see if they would be willing to put the unit through the test for free just for review purposes. That would seem ideal for your pocketbook and our thirst for information. Probably get a good calibration on the unit out of it too.
post #732 of 1272 Old 06-22-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:

I use an HTPC with my JVC RS50 and Acer 5360 3D DLP, but never considered trying to calibrate either with the HTPC. There would have to be an application that allows full control of the greyscale and saturation, hue and luminance for each individual primary and secondary color.

Chromapure supports the new i1 display 3, i think this does it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post

And, yes, ChromaPure offers full control over color management.

There is another little application that someone made in avsforum,
which has upto 81 controls points for each colour. its tricky to use.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1042160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

I have said it before and will say it again. Thanks SMJ for bringing this unit to our attention and hopefully other manufacturers. You bought this projector on a budget and nobody expects you to sink thousands into evaluating it.

Thxs Mike & Dan. Yep i am on a budget, i`m still convinced of the savings. 160w power consumption is a life saver + the bulb life & sturdy multi fin heatsink so pretty happy really + my x1000 is stil going strong. I know CRE have mentioned they look at this forum from time to time, and being this is the only forum on the web that has taken a good look at the x1000, chances are they dont want a repeat of my experience .. they probably been puling their hair out over our comments..lol, i`m sure they will be performing more quality control, before sending out their next X1000

Being on budget sucks, there so much nice equipment i could get. The i1 display 3 with chromapure licence will be my last buy (will have to go on the credit card), or i may wait for Spectracal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim HTPC View Post

SpectraCal is releasing their version of the i1 Display Pro 3 called the Chroma 6.

Expected delivery is 1st/2nd week July.

My understanding (which could be wrong), is that they update the tables vs. create offset points. They claim theirs will be a better value overall due to the tables they input. Also claim it will be even faster than stock i1DPro3.

We'll see when they release their specs.

post #733 of 1272 Old 06-23-2011, 10:46 AM

Ok! I have just placed my order for the Chromapure 2.2 software with upgraded colormunki display 3 as found here

I sent them an e-mail already and they say the upgraded colormunki`s will be ready to ship after the weekend. Essentially with the chromapure software it makes the colormunki into a i1 display 3, so saves me some cash on the regular i1 display 3 + the cost of chromapure software.

I have no idea if chromapure software easy to use, but i guess it will be another pain in the backside, as chromapure offer an £80.00 upgrade for the software so it does auto calibrations.. cant afford this right now. Anyhow i`ll see how it turns out. i guess .i`ll have to find some online guides
post #734 of 1272 Old 06-23-2011, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellmejunk View Post

Ok! I have just placed my order for the Chromapure 2.2 software with upgraded colormunki display 3 as found here

I sent them an e-mail already and they say the upgraded colormunki`s will be ready to ship after the weekend. Essentially with the chromapure software it makes the colormunki into a i1 display 3, so saves me some cash on the regular i1 display 3 + the cost of chromapure software.

I have no idea if chromapure software easy to use, but i guess it will be another pain in the backside, as chromapure offer an £80.00 upgrade for the software so it does auto calibrations.. cant afford this right now. Anyhow i`ll see how it turns out. i guess .i`ll have to find some online guides

The UK Chromapure site is a bit confusing.. I am not sure exactly what you bought? Is it the new Display 3 that is just being released? The picture does not match the image here:

http://chromapure.com/products-d3pro.asp

it's not called the colormunki, so I am curious what meter you are getting?

btw, the auto-calibration is only for external VP's like the Lumagen series. Chromapure is easy to use once you get the basic concepts down of the workflow necessary to calibrate a display.

I would suggest reading through the curtpalme.com primer several times. There is a bit too much information in there, but the basic concepts for setting brightness, contrast and grey scale should be easy to understand. Adjusting primary / secondary colors with hue,saturation and luminance is a bit of an art that takes some time depending on how difficult the color management software is.

Adjusting the grey scale alone can make a world of difference. Every display I have calibrated is usually off by quite a bit. Getting RGB to be close to 100% in each color across the greyscale ramp (10% to 90%) is the first task in achieving D65 calibration.

There is a large support forum for Chromapure and plenty of people to ask help from. Chromapure is easier to pickup for a beginner than Calman.
post #735 of 1272 Old 06-23-2011, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is another little application that someone made in avsforum,
which has upto 81 controls points for each colour. its tricky to use.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1042160

FYI - This is just software to adjust the Gamma. When you perform a full calibration, it involves a number of items.
  • adjusting brightness and contrast
  • Grayscale
  • Gamma
  • CMS for Primary/Secondary Colors

All of these require different controls depending on what the projector is capable of. The tricky part is, adjusting one of these parameters can affect the other which is why Chromapure goes through a specific workflow to make sure all bases are being covered during the calibration process.
post #736 of 1272 Old 06-23-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:

The UK Chromapure site is a bit confusing.. I am not sure exactly what you bought? Is it the new Display 3 that is just being released? The picture does not match the image here:

http://chromapure.com/products-d3pro.asp

Yeh it is a bit confusing. that is the one ive ordered, as suggested to me by the chromapure sales person.
If you click the page again here

it has a paragraph

"THIS METER COMES WITH AN UPGRADED LICENSE FOR VARIOUS DIFFERENT DISPLAY TYPES AS DESCRIBED ON THIS PAGE"

If u click "THIS Page" where it says, it takes u to here

says: "PLEASE NOTE THIS METER IS FOUND IN BOTH THE i1 DISPLAY PRO & COLORMUNKI DISPLAY PACKAGES."
(Officially known as the i1 Display Pro, by any definition X-Rite’s new Display 3 colorimeter)

And even then it still a little confusing, but i`m told the hardware is identical to the i1 display 3, being the only difference is the bundled x-rite software. Chromapure software should be able to access the all the functions.

I will be ditching powerstrip & the free video equaliser software, they are not so good, so decided to pay for the chromapure software which can do it all! ( apparently...)
post #737 of 1272 Old 06-23-2011, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will be ditching powerstrip & the free video equaliser software, they are not so good, so decided to pay for the chromapure software which can do it all! ( apparently...)

Hmm.. I hope you aren't misunderstanding what Chromapure can do.. Chromapure's sole purpose in life is a measurement tool using the meter for input. It can't calibrate a projector unless you will be using a video processor such as the Lumagen Mini 3D which now works with Chromapures auto calibration process. Nor does it run on the HTPC as a replacement for a CMS/Gamma controls, etc. This is just a measuring application.

it's only going to give you results based on how far off the projector is from a D65 baseline. It is then up to the end user to make the appropriate changes in the projectors software.

As I outlined earlier, there are several critical areas that have to be adjusted in order to achieve a correct display calibration. If the display doesn't have those features, then you cannot adjust those settings.

In other words, if the color space is a mile off of REC709 standards and you don't have a 6 axis CMS to make adjustments, you'll be left with a pretty chart from Chromapure showing you how far off your projector is...
post #738 of 1272 Old 06-23-2011, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

Thxs appreciate the generous offer joikd

I think for now i`ll concentrate on getting a good meter, as its my PC that runs my whole setup.

The x-rite i1 display 3 should be able to calibrate the x1000 as it has a projector calibration function, it will do gamma , white points greyscales etc + has support for LED projectors.

Right now i`m thinking about the i1 display 3 without chromapure, or i could get the slightly cheaper colormunkie display 3 & then be able to afford chrompure standard. (hardware of the colormunkie is the same as i1display 3)

From what else i`ve gathered even if i was to get a DVDO or lumigen, i`ll still need a meter regardless.

I.e AVS forum sell DVDO duo + calman meter as a bundle.

According to THIS ARTICLE the difference between the i1 Display Pro (i.e., Display 3) and the Colormunki are:

"X-Rite has unveiled the i1Display Pro and ColorMunki Display, a pair of new, almost identical-looking colorimeters designed to calibrate and/or profile monitors and projectors. Both are promised to be well-suited to measuring either standard or wide gamut displays equipped with either fluorescent (CCFL) or LED backlights, and both feature the ability to create profiles through an iterative measurement process."

"The main differences between the i1Display Pro and ColorMunki Display are speed, with the former capable of measuring roughly 5X faster than the latter, and software features: the i1Display Pro's included i1Profiler software provides for finer control over profile settings and can also evaluate display uniformity, which the ColorMunki Display's ColorMunki software cannot."

So is the i1 Display Pro worth an extra $100 or so? I guess you need to decide. As for using the shareware HCFR Colorimeter software, I suspect it will work just fine with the new i1 Display Pro, but perhaps someone in France with a direct connection to that software project will be able to confirms this.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #739 of 1272 Old 06-23-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:

Hmm.. I hope you aren't misunderstanding what Chromapure can do..

I dont know, its too late i bought one so i`ll give it a go and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

"The main differences between the i1Display Pro and ColorMunki Display are speed, with the former capable of measuring roughly 5X faster than the latter"

Yes and thats the only difference. hardware is the same as eachother. Thats why i asked this question in the i1 display 3 forum

I asked :

I suppose what i`m really asking is:

Will colormunki display 3 with chromapure software give exactly the same performance of the i1 display 3 using chrompure software.

is there any options that colormunki wont be able to access which are available to the i1 display 3?
Would i have been better off buying the i1 display 3 with chromapure rather than the colormunki display 3 with chromapure.

Quote:

No. The 5x speed advantage of the i1 Display Pro III is a firmware difference in the meter. That's why it is a little more expensive.

Rockville, MD

you can follow the thread here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

i1Profiler software provides for finer control over profile settings and can also evaluate display uniformity, which the ColorMunki Display's ColorMunki software cannot."[/i]

YEs you are correct about the software colormunkie xrite software cant do this, but i think chromapure can.
post #740 of 1272 Old 06-23-2011, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I dont know, its too late i bought one so i`ll give it a go and see what happens.
hehe, I feel like I am talking to an empty room.

I assure you chromapure is simply a measurement tool application running on the PC, it's definitely does not turn an HTPC into a fully functioning CMS in any way, shape or form. I own a license of Chromapure and an avid HTPC fanatic for 10+ years.

This blog will provide some valuable info to using an HTPC as a make-shift CMS.

http://memmerson.blogspot.com/2010/06/cms-on-htpc.html

MPC + Pixel shader allow for correcting white point (Gray Scale) and primary colors (RGB). But then you are obligated to run all the video through this 1 application.

It's a shame someone hasn't come up with a full HTPC CMS that is tied to the video drivers so that any application (Media Center 7, PowerDVD 10, TMT 5, etc) could be used with the corrections.
post #741 of 1272 Old 06-23-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:

I assure you chromapure is simply a measurement tool
Your probably right. but ive ordered it already. besides the colormunki with the x-rite software should give me a better result than what i have now.

its all very confusing.

as this guy is telling me this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 View Post
ChromaPure is a nice GUI which helps you easily adjust your hardware OSD settings (like white point, gamma, gamut and other possible HDTV calibration controls).
The bundle software helps you to adjust a limited number of basic hardware OSD settings (luminance and white point at 100%) and creates a LUT for your VGA card (to precisely adjust the overall white balance and TRC) and also an ICM profile to use it with CMS softwares (used togother with the embedded iCM profile of the content or similar things like that...) for 3D color corrections.
ok thxs for the http://memmerson.blogspot.com/2010/06/cms-on-htpc.html link looks intresting!
Yeh i may have wasted my money on chromapure, but perhaps these links to these PC CMS adjuster i can use chromapure as a reference...
An expensive mistake perhaps.... seems i`m going to have to rely on the colormunki software, and then ive cut myself off from the i1 profile softwre options. I should have proably gone for the normal i1 display 3...
post #742 of 1272 Old 06-23-2011, 03:21 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Your probably right. but ive ordered it already. besides the colormunki with the x-rite software should give me a better result than what i have now.

its all very confusing.
You bought impulsively even after I warned you that you were outgrowing your projector. i said this because your "wonder LED projector" has no or little BUILT-IN controls to set the color and grey-scale according to errors that the meter and software indicate. Now you need to buy another $1200 or $1600 separate box which does have the controls.
Ironically several brands of under $2K flat panels have full CMS control BUILT-IN. Compared to front projectors they throw the 55" TV in for free.

Having a complete BUILT-IN CMS is a major reason why I'm so interested in the Sony 30ES projector. You read my post to Tom over in the Display forum before you ordered too. You might try to cancel the order. Say you are a newbie.
post #743 of 1272 Old 06-23-2011, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll check it out this weekend in Chromapure. I run my 2 projectors primarily through my HTPC (Win 7 MCE) and occasionally use my Popcorn Hour C200.

I've read about folks creating custom LUT files, but don't recall a complete discussion on it's implementation, just bits and pieces.
post #744 of 1272 Old 06-23-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post
Now you need to buy another $1200 or $1600 separate box which does have the controls.
You might try to cancel the order. Say you are a newbie.
I definitly need a meter, i think its the x-rite software that makes the LUT files, and theres no way i`m spending $1200-$1600 on my card for a duo. This meter will be the last i spend on the x1000, if i have do i`ll make to with the PC CMS links zombie gave me.

i may have the chance to get the i1 display 3 after all..

Seems theres a problem

Dear all,

There may be an issue with the support with the Colormunki within ChromaPure. We are trying to establish the problem with Xrite in the UK, USA and EU. This is not something that had previously envisaged. We had previously been informed that they were the same meter, and it is only when the production samples appeared that the issue arose. I am going to speaking to Xrite again in the morning, and will keep you informed, and dependant on the outcome, any of you with outstanding orders will be offered the chance to upgrade to the i1Display Pro (for the price difference), or receive a full refund.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Kind regards

Ricky

Anyways.. ive sent an e-mail to chrompure UK to clarify if chromapure software is suitable for HTPC on a projector with basic colour settings told them i have no lumagen or duo.
post #745 of 1272 Old 06-23-2011, 04:25 PM

OK you guys are right, chromapure isnt what i had thought. Tom has confirmed indeed i would need to have a duo or lumagen radiance

I`ll probably just get the i1 display 3 without chromapure. it should be good enough to fix my colours
Luckily the colormunki issue has given me an out & i`ll be able to get the difference back

Yes, yes alot of u are saying " I told u so." lol
post #746 of 1272 Old 06-23-2011, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Tom Huffman posted this in another thread:

Quote:
I just had a lengthy discussion with X-Rite, and here's what I learned.
  • There are actually 3 versions of this meter--ColorMunki, i1 Display Pro III retail, and an i1 Display Pro III OEM.
  • The ColorMunki and Display Pro retail are for the retail market only and are designed to work with the included X-Rite software for monitor profiling.
  • The retail versions will NOT function in ChromaPure or any other vendor's software other than X-Rite. Only the OEM version will work because the code in ChromaPure includes a password for enabling it.
  • The retail and OEM versions of the i1 Display Pro are otherwise identical.
  • If you want to use this meter with ChromaPure, then you have to obtain the meter from ChromaPure directly, one of my partners (e.g. AVS), or another OEM vendor. Versions of this meter obtained in the retail market will not work.
This is why some in the U.K. got meters before I did. What they have are apparently the retail versions, which, if I understood this correctly, won't even work with ChromaPure. The OEM meters won't be released for another 3 weeks or so yet.

I hope this clarifies things.
Also the AV Science Store is now selling the i1 Display Pro III (OEM)/ChromaPure packages (LINK). The orders thru AVS will be passed on to Tom at ChromaPure to ship.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #747 of 1272 Old 06-23-2011, 08:24 PM
psg

Liked: 11
I'm going to take the plunge. CRE has a new version, the CRE-X1000NSX, 3500 lumens, 1.42 zoom, 50,000:1 contrast.

I have requested that they do an extended burn-in before shipping, and Hans volunteered to test it for an extra 3 to 5 days. That just plain makes sense, given the cost of shipping.

For background info, I use a 165" Da-Lite high power screen in a dark room, and pretty much only watch 1080p content via an HTPC. I am replacing a Panasonic PT-AE2000U that was smoked by a REAL power surge (a guest hit the utility transformer while parking).

It will be a couple of weeks before it's here.

I do have a top-notch DSLR (Pentax K20D, with fast glass), so I will be able to post some good photos after I get it installed.
post #748 of 1272 Old 06-23-2011, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, yes alot of u are saying " I told u so." lol
Not me, seems you are having fun with this project but I always said just enjoy the unit. Whatever happened to the "I am very happy with it" on a budget? Seems to me you are about to fool around and spend as much as or even more calibrating the unit than you paid for it. That no longer makes this an enthusiast unit, but prices it way above units that are proven to perform extremely well out of the box. Again I commend your efforts and input here but wonder where you are going with this unit now.
post #749 of 1272 Old 06-23-2011, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psg View Post
I'm going to take the plunge. CRE has a new version, the CRE-X1000NSX, 3500 lumens, 1.42 zoom, 50,000:1 contrast.

I have requested that they do an extended burn-in before shipping, and Hans volunteered to test it for an extra 3 to 5 days. That just plain makes sense, given the cost of shipping.

For background info, I use a 165" Da-Lite high power screen in a dark room, and pretty much only watch 1080p content via an HTPC. I am replacing a Panasonic PT-AE2000U that was smoked by a REAL power surge (a guest hit the utility transformer while parking).

It will be a couple of weeks before it's here.

I do have a top-notch DSLR (Pentax K20D, with fast glass), so I will be able to post some good photos after I get it installed.
good to hear, maybe a trend will start if we can get some more feedback on this company.

I thought my 142" 2.8HP was pretty big, but 165" is great. I would do it if I had the extra space. I run a JVC RS50 on it right now and the JVC is only putting out 360 D65 Calibrated lumens at 14" foot throw (near shortest throw). It's still plenty bright because I have the projector dead center, 6" above eye level for maximum gain.

What is different with the model you ordered vs. the one SMJ has?

Any chance you have a light meter? i'd love to know what the real lumen output is on this projector. There is a model around $40 that will work fine.
post #750 of 1272 Old 06-24-2011, 07:46 AM

Thats great Psg taking the plunge, nice + you got the right equipment, decent screen + good camera.
My 120" cheapo screen isnt made for HD as i can see the stupid vinyl pattern in some scenes lol, i know the x1000 would look awesome in a nice home cinema setup.

Yeh i am happy with my x1000, its been getting alot of hours, i watch tv on it, do my web browsing on it, its very central to my life as i put the projector to practical use without worrying about how many hours it been on!

Look forward to hearing to hearing more info about the new x1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

Not me, seems you are having fun with this project but I always said just enjoy the unit. Whatever happened to the "I am very happy with it" on a budget? Seems to me you are about to fool around and spend as much as or even more calibrating the unit than you paid for it. That no longer makes this an enthusiast unit, but prices it way above units that are proven to perform extremely well out of the box. Again I commend your efforts and input here but wonder where you are going with this unit now.

Yeh thxs mike, i can be an impulsive buyer. I got very excited about the new i1 display 3, my 1st impressions about chromapure ; it looked to be able to do PC configurations , all those menus with access to what i thought was color controls. I had mistakenly assumed that chromapure was a replacement for the x-rite software, and that chrompure would actually do the calibrations, or at least offer me better controls than powerstrip.

i still wasnt sure what i was going to do, and tried to plan ahead, looking at possibly getting a duo in the future, then thought i would benefit from colormunki pro version with chromapure.

I have now since contacted chromapure and have ditched the pro package opting instead for the i1 display 3 without chromapure + Got a partial refund .

Quite frankly Even if i was offered a straight swap for my x1000 in exchange for mainstream fancy 12 bit projector with 5000 hours lamp life and running at 285w, i would turn it down.. i still regard my x1000 very highly, squarely on electricty costs and lamp life. I hate to pay premium costs every year on running costs, (which do add up)
it would still be worth it if i could afford a duo or lumagen in the future, but right now i doubt i`ll get one, as i got too many bills..

The i1 display 3 with x-rite software should be enough to create a decent LUT file, and i`m sure that all i`ll need to get the x1000 looking awesome
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page