CRE X1000 Worlds First 3 LED 3 LCD 1080p Projector..Anybody heard of these guys? - Page 26 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #751 of 1272 Old 06-24-2011, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
PSG,

just remember the real light output is nowhere even close to the numbers they provide. These numbers are also higher than Luminus reccommends driving their LEDs so the life will be shorter... by how much no one knows. I know of people with 3000+ hours on their overdriven SIM2 and or Vango LED projectors

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 1272 Old 06-24-2011, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
CRE has a new version, the CRE-X1000NSX, 3500 lumens, 1.42 zoom, 50,000:1 contrast.

Less than 3 months with the current model and they already have a replacement upgrade model. I can't find that on the net anywhere? Did I read that correct?
If so, that is a very impressive and aggressive R&D dept they have working at CRE. They are not fooling around. Should I wait to buy another few months until Version 3 is released.

IF the X1000SX can compare to the PT-AE2000U that would be more impressive.

How much more is the X1000SX?
post #753 of 1272 Old 06-24-2011, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellmejunk View Post

The i1 display 3 with x-rite software should be enough to create a decent LUT file, and i`m sure that all i`ll need to get the x1000 looking awesome

If it were this simple, the HTPC forum would be filled with 'My $300 computer is a better VP than a $1500 Lumagen'

My issue with this is that the LUT files have to be applied to an application that can use them. There is a difference between using a meter to adjust the 'desktop' colors (for photoshop / photography experts who need spot on colors) vs. fixing video rendering via the PC.

The Upsilon Mixer is a dead end IMO, the author said it was a back burner projector and it doesn't support Windows Media Center, PDVD 10 or TMT5.

MadVR renderer + yCMS looks interesting. My only concern is that you need a program that is going to use MadVR as a display renderer, such as FFDShow.

I use Media Center 7 (with a quad tuner cable card for TV time shifting), PDVD10 and TMT5. I don't think think there is a solid solution that is going to allow full CMS control over these applications based on what I am seeing.

This is a good thread to learn how yCMS works with the look up tables.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=154719
post #754 of 1272 Old 06-24-2011, 03:38 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post

CalPC will also let you build a profile-that includes CMS control-for the projector as well, which will be in effect as long as it's attached to the computer. Understand that not all software uses ICC profiles. Most disc player programs do not, although a small number can after proper configuration.

I dont know if the SpectraCal CalPc could be an option for HTPC if they were to do a package with the i1 display3 to include projectors..

Currently on their FAQ looks out of date as page says.

Q – What is the M2 colorimeter that is included in the CalPC package?
A – The M2 is an OEM version of the i1 Display 2 from X-Rite that has been calibrated for flat panels, including LED backlit LCD. It has also been configured to work more smoothly with CalPC upon installation and setup.

Q – Does the M2 meter perform front projector measurements?
A - No, only flat panel measurements.

If they update their package to i1 display 3 & to include HTPC projectors this could be a future possibility but probably not:?(
post #755 of 1272 Old 06-24-2011, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I know CRE have mentioned they look at this forum from time to time, and being this is the only forum on the web that has taken a good look at the x1000, chances are they dont want a repeat of my experience .. they probably been puling their hair out over our comments..lol, i`m sure they will be performing more quality control, before sending out their next X1000

So they should, the first unit was indeed Junk sold to him. That convergence was the absolute worst I have seen on a digital.

The pictures following the repair/replacement, show they do know how it is done.
post #756 of 1272 Old 06-24-2011, 07:35 PM

Hmm i dont know much about convergence to comment, but i was using the rubbish aiptek camera at the time so may be hard to tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

a little misconvergence of the LCD panel for the color red on the left side of screen only, vertical plane - i couldn't see any on the horizontal plane. I've seen much worse performance from other 3-chip pjs, so that is very encouraging.

post #757 of 1272 Old 06-25-2011, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'm not sure if you've done this or not, but have you contacted the manufacturer to see if there is a hidden "service menu" which would give you access to the more advanced calibration parameters?
post #758 of 1272 Old 06-25-2011, 09:28 PM

Hmm i did ask them about if there was service controls but they never replied, i think i`ve worn out my welcome with them, hopefuly PSG can find out for us,

Well i got the i1 display 3 and have d65`ed the x1000
To be honest i`m not sure about this i1 display 3, as i did my 22" monitor also with it..
After doing the monitor , its warped my perspective on whats supposed to look right or not. I wonder if this i1 display 3 is factory configured right.. or is it a case of: It`s actually the correct colors and i`m so used to the old pallete and still need to get used to it.

Both my 22" lcd and the x1000 have been xrighted giving the same look on both. xrighted or xwronged,, i still dont know yet.

*pictures have been removed until i figure out this stupid i1display3, i bet i have to send it back to chromapure.co.uk so they can calibrate it for a huge nominal fee.
post #759 of 1272 Old 06-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
No offense, but those pics look horrible. Hopefully it's the camera.
post #760 of 1272 Old 06-25-2011, 09:48 PM

yeh i probably need to sit and play with it,.. i only got it today.
post #761 of 1272 Old 06-26-2011, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellmejunk View Post

I wonder if this i1 display 3 is factory configured right.. or is it a case of: It`s actually the correct colors and i`m so used to the old pallete and still need to get used to it.

Maybe, but one thing you should do for certain, is stop worrying about what anyone here thinks about your pj. Your (and your guests' I suppose) opinions are the only ones that count. Life is short.
post #762 of 1272 Old 06-26-2011, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

SMJ,

You should post the pics anyway.

What software are you using?

The one trick about calibrating is; it is not a science it is an Art. All the numbers can be correct and the look can still be off. It will take a a lot of playing around to get the moniter and the pj to look correct. Also remember most moniters only display about 50% of the RGB color gamut so they are not going to look perfect even when properly calibrated. That is why "PRO" moniters cost so much more, because they display the full RGB adobe gamut... or at least much more of it.

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
post #763 of 1272 Old 06-26-2011, 10:18 AM

Ah yeh appreciate that.
On using the x-rite software ive noticed its a bit buggy, a couple of attempt of trying to create a profile resulted in errors saying unable to create LUT file, so its been a bit frustrating.
message reads/;
Failed to set Luts from profile: C \\windows\\system32\\spool\\drivers\\color\\ProjectorD.icm

The 1st calibration i did was just a basic one using only 119 patch colors which resulted in yesterdays pictures.

heres an example:

result of the119 colour basic patch test

the x-rite software is a little annoying to use, however ive noticed i can add the panatone colors, and boost the color patch test from 119 colors (2 min calibration) to 2795 colors (40 min calibration). 2795 colors doesnt sounds like alot
It has some handy options to add custom picture to collect colors from.
I`m still not excactly sure how to use it as there is a trending function but not sure how it works, i`m hoping i can just keep adding to the profile from a number of custom picture sources & build up a decent color database .. the manual has a lack of documentation.

The program is can be buggy.. sometimes it creates profile ok, sometimes it doesnt.. waiting 40 mins for a calibration to complete only to have an error message really gets me crazy.

I`ve complained to x-rite about it..hopefully they can advise me. (maybe ATI graphics card confilct)

When it gets darker i`ll attempt some more calibrating.
post #764 of 1272 Old 06-26-2011, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Are you calibrating your display or the projector? I have never used the software that comes from X-Rite. This is much more geared towards displays then for projectors. The CALMAN, and ChromaPure, HFCR software are meant for projectors. I do not know if chromapure offers a trail period. I know I have received emails about a trail offer from Calman... they give you a key for a month. You may want to try this.

David

post #765 of 1272 Old 06-26-2011, 11:54 AM
psg

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo View Post

CRE has a new version, the CRE-X1000NSX, 3500 lumens, 1.42 zoom, 50,000:1 contrast.

Less than 3 months with the current model and they already have a replacement upgrade model. I can't find that on the net anywhere? Did I read that correct?
If so, that is a very impressive and aggressive R&D dept they have working at CRE. They are not fooling around. Should I wait to buy another few months until Version 3 is released.

IF the X1000SX can compare to the PT-AE2000U that would be more impressive.

How much more is the X1000SX?

Those are the specs in the spreadsheet Hans sent, and it's $200 less expensive. Contrast is 50K:1, rather than 100K:1. Zoom is greater, at 1.42 vs 1.3:1.
post #766 of 1272 Old 06-26-2011, 12:05 PM

I had orginally opted for the colormunki pro with chromapure software 2.2, but then discovered chromapure was unsuitable for my projector unless i had a DVDO duo or lumagen radiance. So ditched chromapure software & instead got the i1display pro (which is the i1display 3) . The x-rite software has projector calibration options. I have HCFR tho havent tried it yet.
post #767 of 1272 Old 06-26-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psg View Post

Those are the specs in the spreadsheet Hans sent, and it's $200 less expensive. Contrast is 50K:1, rather than 100K:1. Zoom is greater, at 1.42 vs 1.3:1.

spreadsheet? can you put a picture?

$200 less? wow
post #768 of 1272 Old 06-26-2011, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

they trade off light output for contrast. There are always trade off in projectors. Even the 17,000 lumen Barcos only have a 2000:1 contrast

David

post #769 of 1272 Old 06-26-2011, 04:37 PM

HCFR wont recognise the new i1 display 3.

Playing around with the x-rite software is very intresting, you can import a number of colour palletes over from the bundled pantone manager, so its possible to configure 10,000`s of thousand of colors! the i1 display3 has to read each colour projected onto screen, then anylizes whats being projectored, comparing it to how it should actually look.
i loaded up 9,000 colors giving an estimated calibration time of 1 hour 45 mins.

Theres also a comparsion to show how far off the colours are, listing worst and best matches
Looks exciting software...pity it suxs. This x-rite software is buggy as heck. Hopefully x-rite customer support will tell me why their software doesnt work properly as more than most times it fails to create the LUT.

Ive managed to do a 2,000 color test patch succesfully so far, so looks promising.

I have the 1 hour 40 min calibration running at the moment for 9,000 + colours, fingers crossed the software completes its task.
post #770 of 1272 Old 06-26-2011, 04:46 PM

hmm did i say 1 hour 40? lol, my mistake. Its 140 mins to completion .
post #771 of 1272 Old 06-26-2011, 04:54 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

Not me, seems you are having fun with this project but I always said just enjoy the unit. Whatever happened to the "I am very happy with it" on a budget? Seems to me you are about to fool around and spend as much as or even more calibrating the unit than you paid for it. That no longer makes this an enthusiast unit, but prices it way above units that are proven to perform extremely well out of the box. Again I commend your efforts and input here but wonder where you are going with this unit now.

True if this is his one and only projector, but the calibration equipment can be used on any future display. The cost of professional calibration is more than the cost of the calibration equipment. So it makes sense to go this route if you want a calibrated display. Of course he will not be able to match a pro's ability to calibrate, but he could get 90% of the way there with practice.
post #772 of 1272 Old 06-26-2011, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21

PSG

Are you dealing with CRE direct in China?

I am and will be waiting for your user review with hopeful optimism.
If you are happy I am going to take your word and get one myself
post #773 of 1272 Old 06-26-2011, 08:40 PM
psg

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo View Post

PSG

Are you dealing with CRE direct in China?

I am and will be waiting for your user review with hopeful optimism.
If you are happy I am going to take your word and get one myself

Yes, directly with Hans at CRE. I'll probably do the Paypal payment tomorrow - I have to sort out getting a credit that's in my BillMeLater account into my Paypal account or my bank account first, and I think I need a human to do that.
post #774 of 1272 Old 06-27-2011, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by psg View Post

Yes, directly with Hans at CRE. I'll probably do the Paypal payment tomorrow - I have to sort out getting a credit that's in my BillMeLater account into my Paypal account or my bank account first, and I think I need a human to do that.

Please share the spreadsheet he sent you.

Page 20 of the (highly inadequate) User Manual for smj's CRE-X1000 implies that CRE has-or-plans five different models of this projector.

When I surf on this pj I find pics of a gloss black model and wonder too if that's available yet.
post #775 of 1272 Old 06-27-2011, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Please do post the new specs from hans. I bet they are just over driving the LEDs. which is brighter but less contrast as well. Do you know if they are using the same video chip?

That is key to a good image. Has anyone been able to get the set up or service codes ?

David

post #776 of 1272 Old 06-27-2011, 06:45 PM

I`ll spare you the details of the headache surrounding x-rite software you can follow that progress here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post20616711

Please enjoy pics of the D65 3180 colour patch calibration.
Looking pretty sweet to me and my budget. A duo or radiance would make this look alot better i`m sure, but on my budget i can safely proclaim i`m satisfied with the i1 dispay3 (i1displaypro), with the possibility of doing 20,000+ color patch calibration (once the x-rire software issue is resolved)

Real Steel Pictures

And finally some normal 1080 screenshow pics

post #777 of 1272 Old 06-27-2011, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
SMJ, all I can say is stunning, but of course that is on my monitor via photos etc. I have always said enjoy the unit and can see you are. Of course folks on here will want you to dig deeper but that is not your job. It is for CRE to send a unit or two to some reputable reviewers for analysis. I say the pics look good. All I have to ask is if there is any frame interpolation or motion judder. May have been posted but I may not have seen it. All said, I think you have a great unit there.
post #778 of 1272 Old 06-27-2011, 11:16 PM

Have not been following this thread for a long time, but guess there is new fuzz about this projector and it's truly what the chinese specs say?

Problem is that I can't see any sameljuks photos because I only get go pro messages from photbucket.
post #779 of 1272 Old 06-28-2011, 05:18 AM

Ah yeh stupid photobucket.. bandwidth exceeded for this month.. ive put them here at imagetwist.. it should be ok to click ive labeled them family safe, last time when i uploaded them here i had put them as NSFW as i didnt know what it meant.. so now ive found the option for family safe, so just click the pics to enlarge. please dont complain.. i`m not upgading to a photobucket premium account!, otherwise wait till july and the photobucket pics should be available again.

Click pics to enlarge

post #780 of 1272 Old 06-28-2011, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

. I say the pics look good. All I have to ask is if there is any frame interpolation or motion judder.

Nope ive never seen any kind of frame interpolation or motion judder,it runs very smooth. Dont forget i`m using it on HTPC, so my graphics card is processing for those..

Even with the xbox 360 plugged into it, ive never seen any of those issues
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page