"White Van" Projector Scam - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #61 of 100 Old 01-10-2014, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I found one of these at a garage sale for $8. I set it up and the picture is pretty good. I mean it looks like everything is underwater and that I'm watching it through a pair of dark sunglasses, but I thought it was pretty good. And now I have a cool thing in my house taking up space and collecting dust. What a bargain!

Haha. I love how with every post supporting this piece of crap, the purchase price gets lower and lower...rolleyes.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 100 Old 01-11-2014, 01:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spobot View Post

I found one of these at a garage sale for $8. I set it up and the picture is pretty good. I mean it looks like everything is underwater and that I'm watching it through a pair of dark sunglasses, but I thought it was pretty good. And now I have a cool thing in my house taking up space and collecting dust. What a bargain!

Haha. I love how with every post supporting this piece of crap, the purchase price gets lower and lower...rolleyes.gif

People keep buying them though. You paid about $7.99 too much.
post #63 of 100 Old 01-11-2014, 11:07 PM
DTI

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
post #64 of 100 Old 01-13-2014, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have uploaded my video comparison of my BenQ MW519 720p 3D Projector vs VMAX V15 LED 640x480p LED 2D Projector on my youtube channel. Search on Youtube: BenQ MW519 vs VMAX V15 Projector.
post #65 of 100 Old 01-13-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGTweed View Post

I have uploaded my video comparison of my BenQ MW519 720p 3D Projector vs VMAX V15 LED 640x480p LED 2D Projector on my youtube channel. Search on Youtube: BenQ MW519 vs VMAX V15 Projector.

????????????????????????????????
post #66 of 100 Old 01-14-2014, 12:03 PM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBwK7HzoiIs&feature=youtube is the link to my BenQ MW519 vs VMAX V15 video comparison on youtube.
post #67 of 100 Old 01-14-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBwK7HzoiIs&feature=youtube is the link to my BenQ MW519 vs VMAX V15 video comparison on youtube.

Must resist.
post #68 of 100 Old 01-15-2014, 06:35 AM

Relax Verge2. My comparison shows the obvious lack of picture quality of the VMAX projector as compared with the better, higher picture quality of the BenQ projector. I suggested getting a BenQ over the VMAX.
post #69 of 100 Old 01-15-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Relax Verge2. My comparison shows the obvious lack of picture quality of the VMAX projector as compared with the better, higher picture quality of the BenQ projector. I suggested getting a BenQ over the VMAX.
Is the VMAX one of those "White Van" projectors?

post #70 of 100 Old 01-15-2014, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

Is the VMAX one of those "White Van" projectors?
Similar, but they don’t claim to be anything more than what they are. A cheap 480p, 150 lumen PJ. I think they sell for less than $150. They are a toy and are marketed as such.
post #71 of 100 Old 01-18-2014, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremma View Post

The only review I have found stated that there was a potential hazard if left on unattended or turned off incorrectly, but aside from that......

As the scammer states these are not even SAFE as it MIGHT burn your house down OR cause some potential hazard if you actually try to use them. Considering many real projector bulbs contain mercury...there's no telling what kind of hazard these farse items might produce

post #72 of 100 Old 01-31-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 291
I found one which was new to me.

http://www.vulkan-media.com/

This is clearly over-inflated junk Chinese stuff once again rebranded.

Vulkan Media has a website which also shows product which is clearly branded as Yamaha and Bose with their own product name next to the photos. Go figure.

Buyer beware!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #73 of 100 Old 01-31-2014, 01:47 PM

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Vulkan Media has a website which also shows product which is clearly branded as Yamaha and Bose with their own product name next to the photos. Go figure.

Buyer beware!

But come on - look at those specifications! The housing and reflector have been pre-aligned for max light output - imagine how much time that alone is going to save you?

The MV2 and MVC are BOTH up to 20,000! (True, it may appear to contradict the importance of that, after stating MV2 and MVC: 'NO'). And apparently the manufacturer is uncertain whether you can Bi-Wire it (must be some impressive speakers in there), but still - how many other projectors can you find with advanced 3 port USB that does 1080P video?!?

32 feet may seem like an ambitious screen size for a 110W lamp, but not when you have an MVAS of 300 x 300 x 330 coupled with Advanced Digital Zoom! And all that for only 7499 - why it's .... unbelievable!
post #74 of 100 Old 01-31-2014, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA View Post

But come on - look at those specifications! The housing and reflector have been pre-aligned for max light output - imagine how much time that alone is going to save you?

The MV2 and MVC are BOTH up to 20,000! (True, it may appear to contradict the importance of that, after stating MV2 and MVC: 'NO'). And apparently the manufacturer is uncertain whether you can Bi-Wire it (must be some impressive speakers in there), but still - how many other projectors can you find with advanced 3 port USB that does 1080P video?!?

32 feet may seem like an ambitious screen size for a 110W lamp, but not when you have an MVAS of 300 x 300 x 330 coupled with Advanced Digital Zoom! And all that for only 7499 - why it's .... unbelievable!
You gotta look at their home theater systems page as well... I always wondered where Yamaha got the design idea for their RX-V2600 from - now I know! Oh, and I wonder why they didn't sue Bose for copying their product. Dang, like down to the name and logo on the product itself. These guys are sharp!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #75 of 100 Old 02-25-2014, 07:35 PM

There are new scam projectors going around.

Paramount 4k-ultra

Lumax Imaging 4k-hdlmx

The boxes are exactly the same but the "brand" is different.  

I know everything there is to know about the white van speaker and projector scam.  Message me if you have a question and I will be happy to help you in any way I can!
post #76 of 100 Old 02-26-2014, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Ohhh... Add Bach & Odin if they haven't been mentioned. (edit: apparently they have been)

These guys specialize in white van scams with a 'B&O' sounding name, and pure white van product.

ipixcinema.com - They have a long list of projectors and scam write-ups to match.

Volare - I think this one has probably been mentioned elsewhere, but is still a Craigslist favorite.

Edit: Morelli Cinema - These guys definitely fit the profile.

Very easy to spot the scam: No reviews whatsoever, no comparisons, a multi-thousand dollar MSRP with a sub $1,000 selling price, most include a screen, no address or phone number on website.

00R0R_l73tT04UxW7_600x450.jpg

post #77 of 100 Old 02-28-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

To bad AVS doesn't do sticky threads anymore because this should be at the top to educate/inform those who are looking for a low cost projector.
old corps likes this.

post #78 of 100 Old 02-28-2014, 06:21 PM

I know everything there is to know about the white van speaker and projector scam.  Message me if you have a question and I will be happy to help you in any way I can!
post #79 of 100 Old 02-28-2014, 11:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I particularly like the "David Weiss" lens instead of Carl Zeiss the specs on these things are laughable. I've seen a lot of home theater setups from the white van scammers with vacuum tube preamps showing up at pawn shops lately, have a subwoofer with vu meters and vacuum tubes (like thats good for a sensitive vacuum tube!) or a separate module.
post #80 of 100 Old 02-28-2014, 11:44 PM

post #81 of 100 Old 03-01-2014, 12:14 PM

AV_Integrated likes this.

post #82 of 100 Old 03-01-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitevanspeaker View Post

Here is interesting info about the degenerate lowlifes behind this scam.  More often than not the street sellers are drug addicts, felons,  or people who are down on their luck.  The true scum are the people who import this garbage, design these boxes, and distribute this junk to the street sellers.  There is no bigger lowlife than.....

GLENN SMITH

Glenn Smith was himself a street seller of crappy speakers since about 1980.  In the late 1990's Glenn started the now infamous TR Theater Research.  Glenn is responsible for tens of thousands of scam products resulting in 100s of millions of dollars in losses on crappy electronics sold out of vans of the streets.  Famous brands include "Theater Research" "DOGG Digital" "Genesis Media Labs" "Paramax Audio" "Madrid Audio" "Visionmax Projectors" "Volare Projectors" "Bernelli Projectors" "Platinum Projectors".  In fact the above photo is from his own twitter page: https://twitter.com/PARAMAXAUDIO   

Glenn lives at 21371 Estepa Cir Huntington Beach, CA 92648 and his phone number is 714-813-4530.  A couple years ago he sold his speaker/projector business TR Theater Research at 6122 Katella Ave Cypress CA 90630.  He sold out his part of the business to his Chinese ex-wife Kelly Smith who currently is distributing scam boxes at that location.  The SL Class Mercedes shown above was paid for by the suffering of victims of the white van speaker/projector scam.  Glenn has moved on to MLM scams.  Google "Bids That Give".  It is a zeek rewards style penny auction which ponzi scheme which claims "every bid helps a kid".  How Lovely....  That went belly up and Glenn is currently involved in a Merchant services Ponzi Scheme called Lucrazon which was started by a Russian scammer.  This is possibly one of the biggest scumbags in  America.

How did you get all this info?
post #83 of 100 Old 03-01-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

How did you get all this info?

I sold these systems for about a year during a low point in my life.  Looking back I feel bad for my victims and now I am trying help new people from becoming victims.  I know this man, and have met him face to face countless times.  

post #84 of 100 Old 03-01-2014, 01:35 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Buyer beware!

The site is worth a read though: The descriptions that go with the screens... hilarious! full of typos, nonsense, contradictions and pointless repetitions. xD

post #85 of 100 Old 03-01-2014, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Low lifes like this turd spend their lives fleecing every one they can find and then it's on to the next one. They are the three card monte dealers of the electronic world. They invent bell and whistle terms that are impressive to the layman until they use the gear and by that time they are LONG GONE. They market this crap to people looking to get rich quick. Really nothing we can do about it except warn others when we get the chance. Hopefully potential buyers will go to places like youtube and hunt for the model names. This is why they keep changing the products name so they can stay one step ahead of the suckers they are trying to con- Bohanna
post #86 of 100 Old 03-01-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I don't feel necessarily bad for these people. If evolution still existed, thier genes would be out of the pool.

Having a bit of common sense is special these days I guess.
post #87 of 100 Old 03-01-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post

I don't feel necessarily bad for these people. If evolution still existed, thier genes would be out of the pool.

Having a bit of common sense is special these days I guess.

It kind of depends on each person who ends up buying.   Some are given the "hot pitch" and think they are buying stolen goods, and they deserve to get what they get.  More often than not the pitch is along the lines of "the warehouse gave me 6, but my order calls for 4.....My boss is a ******* and will just take it home for himself if I take it back".  In the buyers mind this is an expensive item that is going to be sold to someone so they might as well take advantage.  They know the seller isn't taking it back or going to do the right thing.  People who buy online are rarely under the impression that the item is stolen.  They are getting goldbricked by believing they are buying a 1080p 3d projector with a high lumen output.  What they get in the box is a vga projector, with anaglyph 3d (red and blue glasses), and very low lumen output.

It is a very gross misrepresentation, not a mere bending of the truth.

Passive speaker sets are sold at TR Theater Research to speakerguys for $55 with a MSRP of $1795.

Powered home theaters are sold at TR Theater Research to speakerguys for $95 with a MSRP of $2895.

Projectors are sold at TR Theater Research to speakerguys for $165 with a MSRP of $4295.

The price that speakerguys pay is way too much for the items.  The speakers do have sand, cinder blocks, or pieces of metal to make them heavier.  The projectors are not completely worthless, but they certainly are not worth more than 100-150 if sold legitimately.  

post #88 of 100 Old 03-01-2014, 05:55 PM

post #89 of 100 Old 03-08-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

To the top...

post #90 of 100 Old 06-23-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Back to the top again since some people have recently been posting about no-name Chinese import junk which falls into the white-van-scam category.

It's just a reminder to do your homework before purchasing, and suck up some very poor decisions that people often make.

I still feel bad for people who are fleeced by crooks. But, considering how quickly a Google search can give you an answer from your phone, my sympathy is growing thinner by the year.

I would personally like to add CRE to this list. They are a real company, and their projector is genuine, but be aware that their claimed specifications (3,000 lumens) and contrast (100K:1) appears to be closer to a 300-400 lumen projector and a 100:1 (or perhaps less) contrast ratio. No reviews, lousy website, no manuals, questionable product. But, it is 1080p and does appear to use a LED light engine. Pray it doesn't break.

The other is a pure scam and seems to be a version of the Volare projectors white van scam model.

http://www.innovativeaudio.us/

They have five home theater in a box kits:
The Theater IV-7
IV-11
IV-12
IV-70
IV-80

..and three LED projectors:
IV-6LED
IV-9LED
IV-11LED

All pricing (MSRP) is completely ridiculous and no reviews of the product, a terrible website, and BS advertising with it that have zero supporting information. Apparently, this is a rebadged Volare projector.

All 3 LED projectors have the same lumen and contrast specifications, so they appear to be different versions of the same junk and should just be avoided for anything more than about $100 or so and should be considered as a toy, not a real projector. At this point (mid-2014) a great quality 1080p/3D projector can be had for around $700 and a 720p/3D projector can be had for about $450. These models are from top tier companies with support for native Blu-ray Disc 3D using active shutter glasses and accepting frame-packed 1080p 3D as is native to Blu-ray Discs.
gamermwm likes this.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page