"White Van" Projector Scam - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #91 of 100 Old 06-24-2014, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Years ago our Marketing Manager somehow ended up buying a Favi projector and screen off the internet. Obviously, being a "toy" projector it didn't work for a conference room so I ended up taking it home to play with. That was my first experience with a projector in my home so even though the picture was out of focus and washed out (putting it gently) and the fan was louder than my vacuum cleaner; I thought is was the coolest thing ever. Of course I know now that it was a real piece of junk, but the one good thing that came of that unit was it brought me into the world of true home theater. Favi still sells projectors online. To an unsuspecting consumer they would look like legit low cost projectors, but they really are junk. The retractable screen really wasn't too bad though, we actually still use it in our spare conference room.

Funny the Theater Research speakers were brought up. A buddy of mine bought a pair of towers out of a van about 8 years ago. He knew they were probably junk and didn't even need speakers but he talked the guy into selling them for $50 for the pair. We just unboxed them and hooked them up in my garage a couple months ago and for $50 they were actually pretty good garage speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 100 Old 06-24-2014, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Favi projectors aren't literal scams, though. They're certainly not fit for much of anything but they're priced honestly and the specs are genuine (minus the contrast, which every manufacturer lies about and which Favi don't exaggerate to the degree any white van scam does). Being cheap and junky is one thing, but the outright lies of Volare and crew are something else.
post #93 of 100 Old 06-24-2014, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethsez View Post
Favi projectors aren't literal scams, though. They're certainly not fit for much of anything but they're priced honestly and the specs are genuine (minus the contrast, which every manufacturer lies about and which Favi don't exaggerate to the degree any white van scam does). Being cheap and junky is one thing, but the outright lies of Volare and crew are something else.
At least they don't have a $6000 MSRP, but I think at the time we paid around $600 for the projector. The comparable model they have now is $200. I couldn't even dump ours on ebay for $50. Our manager said he called and talked to a rep and explained it was for a conference room and was assured the projector would be good for that application. I'd agree not quite a white van scam but it's not far from it! If I had spent my own money on it and later found out what it really was I'd feel pretty ripped off. Just wanted to put that out there in case a newbie came across this thread

Just for reference, here's a pic of the spare "bulb"for the Favi Rio projector I've got:
post #94 of 100 Old 06-24-2014, 10:52 PM

Oh yeah, they're definitely garbage, I'm just saying they're a legitimate business selling crap at Big Lots, rather than an illegitimate business selling lies in the parking lot outside an ATM. It's a fine line, but an important one.
post #95 of 100 Old 06-24-2014, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethsez View Post
Oh yeah, they're definitely garbage, I'm just saying they're a legitimate business selling crap at Big Lots, rather than an illegitimate business selling lies in the parking lot outside an ATM. It's a fine line, but an important one.
True. It can be a fairly fine line, but at least Favi has SOME level of support..even if the products are so bad they burn through its use. I'd consider some of the "specialty" screens to be a similar case; real brands and warranty, but really dishonest sales-claims VS true ability and joke pricing.

I remember seeing Favi often during my initial projector search for LED models, but by then bad reviews were luckily starting to pile up enough that it looked to be a fallapart-ish brand. Thanks for the heads-up to any of you who take the time to leave on-site reviews on things you've tried.
post #96 of 100 Old 06-25-2014, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I would never lump FAVI in with the White Van manufacturers. For better or for worse, FAVI thinks highly enough of their products that they sent some in for review in 2010 and 2011 and they weren't terrible.

What makes a "white van" projector for me is a combination of the following:
  • Unknown brand. New brands come along now and again, but this is a warning flag if I've never heard of them.
  • Inflated MSRP. There's a difference between MSRP and MAP, obviously, but discounts of more than 50% should send up a warning flag, at least. You don't often see a legitimate $10,000 MSRP projector selling for $300.
  • Zero support. No phone number, no address, bad website.
  • Purposefully confusing specifications. "1080p" projectors that are actually XGA, but that's only in the fine print.
  • No reviews, or reviews from unknown sources. Legit manufacturers love reviews. A good review is free advertising. Manufacturers who stand behind their products want to have those products reviewed, even if they have flaws. White Van manufacturers know that their product is garbage, but they have no intention of ever giving anyone a refund, so there's no upside to sending the product out for review.

I've actually been on the lookout for some "white van" projectors to review, just because we get questions from time to time from people who have stumbled across them and want to know if they are legit. Maybe I need to get a chunk of money together and spend some time on Craigslist.
Ftoast likes this.
post #97 of 100 Old 06-25-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJC Bill View Post
I've actually been on the lookout for some "white van" projectors to review, just because we get questions from time to time from people who have stumbled across them and want to know if they are legit. Maybe I need to get a chunk of money together and spend some time on Craigslist.
Personally, I would find this absolutely fascinating. I know they're garbage, but just like most ripoff products (aPhone 5s, MacroSoft Playstation 5, that sort of thing) I'm sure they have quirks that make them interesting subjects of investigation, even if they're worthless as actual consumer products.
post #98 of 100 Old 07-11-2014, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
white van scam "victims"...what a joke

Every..and I mean Every person who buys this junk from a van gets exactly what they deserve. The buyers are scumbags who think they are getting a deal buying stolen goods. That is why the scam has gone on for years, a scumbag thief cant call the cops on someone who sold them what they thought was stolen. .. The scam is the same every time ..I am a delivery guy and my boss put one too many in..here is a deal ...translate....I am stealing speakers projectors etc ..buy some stolen goods cheap

Its amazing how peoples morals go out the door when there is a deal and then have the balls to call themselves victims...

And all you "victims" I hope your houses get robbed as you have no problem buying what you think is stolen goods.......you can buy your stuff back from a pawn shop later....since apparently you have no problem playing the game..

The guys selling are lowlife scum ..but the buyers are even scummier

Last edited by sorrenson; 07-11-2014 at 07:57 AM.
post #99 of 100 Old 07-11-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorrenson View Post
Every..and I mean Every person who buys this junk from a van gets exactly what they deserve. The buyers are scumbags who think they are getting a deal buying stolen goods. That is why the scam has gone on for years, a scumbag thief cant call the cops on someone who sold them what they thought was stolen. .. The scam is the same every time ..I am a delivery guy and my boss put one too many in..here is a deal ...translate....I am stealing speakers projectors etc ..buy some stolen goods cheap

Its amazing how peoples morals go out the door when there is a deal and then have the balls to call themselves victims...

And all you "victims" I hope your houses get robbed as you have no problem buying what you think is stolen goods.......you can buy your stuff back from a pawn shop later....since apparently you have no problem playing the game..

The guys selling are lowlife scum ..but the buyers are even scummier
While that's all well and good - most of this stuff isn't actually sold out of a van anymore. But, is sold as a 'good deal' via eBay or Craigslist or similar. They refer to manufacturer's (?) websites which list inflated MSRP pricing, and how good a deal the people are getting. So, unlike a set of nice PO1K Audio speakers being sold directly, they are 'Quantum Projectors, MSRP: $5,999' - being sold, brand new, for $499, with a screen.

So, this isn't as much people doing the white van scam 'extra' product thing, it's the 'sucker born every minute' thing. All this thread really should be about is the products which people should be wary of, not a rant about the victims, suckers, or douches which are involved in all of it. Really, lighten up.
ben38 likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #100 of 100 Old 07-11-2014, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
While that's all well and good - most of this stuff isn't actually sold out of a van anymore. But, is sold as a 'good deal' via eBay or Craigslist or similar. They refer to manufacturer's (?) websites which list inflated MSRP pricing, and how good a deal the people are getting. So, unlike a set of nice PO1K Audio speakers being sold directly, they are 'Quantum Projectors, MSRP: $5,999' - being sold, brand new, for $499, with a screen.

So, this isn't as much people doing the white van scam 'extra' product thing, it's the 'sucker born every minute' thing. All this thread really should be about is the products which people should be wary of, not a rant about the victims, suckers, or douches which are involved in all of it. Really, lighten up.
I agree, and Ebay is a crook's paradise !!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page