Home Theater vs business - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 02-11-2011, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

I can't quite put my finger on what the difference between a business and home theater projector is.
If I for example compare the Epson TW3200 (HT) with the BenQ MP777 (business) the Epson outperforms the Benq in most ways :/

* Full HD
* 4000 hours lamp time
* 22db vs 34db in the BenQ (silence is golden)

Some salesman told me that the business ones are "better build" but of course I have no garanti for that.

I have a small company and we only use the projector few times a week so it´s not like its on all the time.

Would it be a mistake to buy the HomeTheatre one (TW3200) ?? :/

Any help appreciated.

/Simmi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-11-2011, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post

Hi

I can't quite put my finger on what the difference between a business and home theater projector is.
If I for example compare the Epson TW3200 (HT) with the BenQ MP777 (business) the Epson outperforms the Benq in most ways :/

* Full HD
* 4000 hours lamp time

Some salesman told me that the business ones are "better build" but of course I have no garanti for that.

I have a small company and we only use the projector few times a week so it´s not like its on all the time.

Any help appreciated.

/Simmi

Business projectors are intended to be used in environment with a lot of ambient light, such as conference room, hotel lobby, classroom, shop floor, etc. The usage demands a lot of light output, with relatively smaller concern on color accuracy, contrast ratio, playback smoothness, etc.

HT projectors are intended to be used in a dim environment, primarily to playback movies, TV, or similar kinds of video content. They need to have a good contrast ratio and accurate color gamut to render the image fidelity; may also need FI (frame interpolation) to improve playback smoothness and motion blur (esp. when viewing TV sports), extra sharpness to make the image more "pop", etc.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-11-2011, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post

Hi

* Full HD
* 4000 hours lamp time

Any help appreciated.

/Simmi

There are business uses and then there are business uses.

For example, some retail need to operate almost 24/7. Others, such as museums, have complex control procedures and so need external control ports & protocols. Some will perform fine as Windows displays (e.g. for PowerPoint-type presentations) but not as "movie machines" i.e. darkened home theaters. And yes, sometimes a "business projector" is built more robustly because it is intended for extended usage hours, or perhaps it's meant for a salesrep to be able to haul it around everywhere i.e. lots of jostling.

So you have to determine your own needs and match your needs with the projector specs & prices.
post #4 of 14 Old 02-11-2011, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

It depends on your eyes, room and preferences - a lot of people get too hung up on labels.

Our first PJ was a used Canon "business" model. The Canon had a very good "Cinema Mode" and it performed excellently (and still does) with a HD input. When we bought our 720p "home theater" Panasonic we put it side-by-side with the Canon and the Canon image looked about as good as the Panny.

Besides a few lines of native resolution the main difference between a HT and a Business model is native aspect ratio - HTs usually have 16:9 and Business usually have 4:1.

This plays a role when your are attempting to project content that has a different aspect ratio than the native one of the PJ. When a PJ "scales" an image, like a very wide screen movie, to it's native aspect ratio the image will include "black bars" either vertically or horizontally beside the actual image.

Fact is, ALL projectors have these "black bars" depending on what you are watching - 16:9 is the standard for N.American HDTV so a 16:9 PJ will have horizontal black bars when scaling a CinemaScope type very wide film.

Our solution to scaling black bars is to use a gray screen as it makes these scaling bars nearly invisible.

So long as the projector has a HDMI or DVI digital input and a movie mode you can achieve a genuine "at the movies" visual experience with most any projector within most any budget.

All things being equal and you can afford it a HT configured PJ with 1080p native resolution would be preferred, of course
post #5 of 14 Old 02-12-2011, 11:45 AM

and by the way, MP777 EOL product and it was changed by MX761 model, which has better specs compared to MP777 and sells at same price

what other guys didn't mention is different structure of these projectors - Epson is LCD and BenQ is DLP projector. Both have advantages and disadvantages but it depends on your needs. Some doesn't like that Epson isn't sharp enough (you can read it in Epson owners thread), others are being bothered by DLP's rainbow effect. Btw in business DLP projector most likely will appear this rainbow effect, because business projector were not adopded for quality cinema watching and usually do not have enough high speed color wheel. I don't know about MX761' color wheel speed thogh..
post #6 of 14 Old 02-13-2011, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

It really breaks it down to the content you will be displaying for your business. If you are like most businesses and need a projector in brighter conditions for presenting presentations, word documents, browsers, pictures or other still images, then you get a business/data projector. You can still watch movies/video clips with decent quality on business/data projectors. Especially on the newer models like the BenQ MX761, the adaptive 1080i is quite nice.

But the main reason you want a business projector is for the brighter lumens and more focused and contrasted accuracy on text and still images. ForbiSK mentioned about rainbow effect, however, rainbow effect isn't apparent for still images as they for movies. Also the brighter your surrounding the less apparent for rainbow effects, therefore in business environments rainbow effect should definitely be the last of your worries.

Silence is golden, but honestly unless you're going to be projecting outdoors, 4200 lumens is a bit much. Eco mode can be used to lower the audible noise if you want a power horse such as the MX761. You'll be able to save lots of hours on your bulb this way. Or you can always look at lower powered projectors. However, buying a high lumen projector may be useful if you ever need the extra brightness.

The MX761 has onboard speakers if you're interested as well. But I think the coolest feature on the new BenQ educational/business projectors is that they have a USB plug and play feature which allows you to display content off your thumb drive without syncing through a computer!

I Love Apple, BenQ, Samsung, and Acer Products = )
post #7 of 14 Old 02-14-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpchange21 View Post

But I think the coolest feature on the new BenQ educational/business projectors is that they have a USB plug and play feature which allows you to display content off your thumb drive without syncing through a computer!

To be clear, USB plug and play feature allows to display only image files (jpg, bmp, tiff etc). Most of business projectors, as well as MX761, doesn't have processors to process files like ppt/pps, any movie files, word/excel files and so on..
post #8 of 14 Old 02-14-2011, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 139
keep it simple

If you are a business, get a busines PJ
If for home, get a home theater one

There are few exceptions, there are reasons why there are two types. Colors just don't compare, motion etc. And I would NEVER buy a 4:3 business PJ for any type of video/gaming use where everything is widescren. NEVER, NEVER NEVER
post #9 of 14 Old 02-14-2011, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post

keep it simple

If you are a business, get a busines PJ
If for home, get a home theater one

There are few exceptions, there are reasons why there are two types. Colors just don't compare, motion etc. And I would NEVER buy a 4:3 business PJ for any type of video/gaming use where everything is widescren. NEVER, NEVER NEVER

A whole lot of Wrong.....

(fifth element)
post #10 of 14 Old 02-14-2011, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

color-
Quote:

both LEDs, and Lasers, produce a wider color gamut that mercury lamp based systems

The Only Option this forum is business PJ,s.

motion-most business PJ,s are dlp and handle it very well,better than a lot of lcd favorites.

You just cant broad brush it,there is blury middle ground at least

(fifth element)
post #11 of 14 Old 02-14-2011, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
eat meat -- Cool it! This is not a "Business PJ" forum. The subject of this thread, is business vs. HT PJs.

The AVS Forum is mainly for the discussion of home theater equipment, but certainly has room for the discussion of business PJs. Secondly, this forum exists for the dissemination of technical information and assistance. It has no place for negative comments, and half-truths.

What you have stated is your opinion, and is not shared by most of the users on the AVS Forum. The tone of your statements are a turn-off for a lot of readers, and do not provide any useful information. As such, please keep them to yourself.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #12 of 14 Old 02-14-2011, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post
eat meat -- Cool it! This is not a "Business PJ" forum. The subject of this thread, is business vs. HT PJs.

The AVS Forum is mainly for the discussion of home theater equipment, but certainly has room for the discussion of business PJs. Secondly, this forum exists for the dissemination of technical information and assistance. It has no place for negative comments, and half-truths.

What you have stated is your opinion, and is not shared by most of the users on the AVS Forum. The tone of your statements are a turn-off for a lot of readers, and do not provide any useful information. As such, please keep them to yourself.
what? the form is avs-where ddoes it say Home theater?Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP -dont make things up.

(fifth element)
post #13 of 14 Old 02-14-2011, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

where are half truths?
Quote:
What you have stated is your opinion, and is not shared by most of the users on the AVS Forum
.what are you talking about some facts please,lcd handles motion poorly same with lcos,,led and laser has a larger color gamut,
you are really out of line telling me to
Quote:
do not provide any useful information. As such, please keep them to yourself.

(fifth element)
post #14 of 14 Old 02-14-2011, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Who gives you the right to speak for every one. friggin amazing.

(fifth element)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page