post #271 of 383 Old 06-21-2011, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricanmeng View Post

... or the ACER (dropdown screen)...

I assume you are using the H5360 not the BD...?

I am mentally challenging you...so consider yourself mentally challenged

XboxLive Gamertag: SteelDr JJ

My Theater Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 383 Old 06-27-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes2cents View Post

Oh, OK. Looking forward to your impressions of it. Still not available here just puts the brakes on it for me. Just makes me wonder too much. I am at a loss to figure out why and none of the reasons I can think of make me feel very good. Hope you have success with it.

It has finally arrived...

If you have been following the thread, you know I ordered an H5360BD from Germany in early-mid June. It took 13 business days to get from the online retailer's warehouse in Germany to my doorstep. I ordered it on June 13th for 644.11 Euros.

I came in a box that was pretty beat up (as expected if something is comming from Germany.) The box however was still intact. It was packaged with paper surrounding the retail box of the pj.

The retail box came with mostly English on it but some German. Inside was a composite video cord, a VGA 15-pin cable and three powercables (none of which fit my power outlets here in Michigan) as well as the projector of course.

I immediately pulled it out of the box and fired it up to make sure it was not damaged in shipping.

I first hooked it up to my PC and ran through the Nvidia 3D set up wizard. This is when I realized you can only use this projector with an Nvidia card using the 3DTV Play software (I though I would have a choice as to whether I wanted to use the Nvidia IR glasses or DLP link glasses.) As soon as the video card detects the pj it pops into the 3DTV play mode and runs DLP link from then on. (Note: you do have to have an Nvidia emitter plugged into the USB for the 3DTV play software to be activated.) The good thing is, you don't have to pay for the software, apparently a license for 3DTV Play is included with this projector.

I then tested it with the Playstation 3. As soon as I hooked up the projector and powered up the PS3, it detected a 3D capable display and ran through a quick set-up. I fired up my copy of Wipe-Out (I downloaded free because Sony felt bad for releasing my data across the vast tundra of the internet) turned on the 3D and palyed a few races.

I then hooked it up to the Xbox and threw in some Black Ops to test that 3D. Had to tweek the pj settings to manual SBS (side-by-side) but was fragging in no time.

I did end up going with the UltraClear glasses. And all in all I would have to say this projector performed flawlessly. I had no problems with the 3DTV Play software the DLP link glasses and the PC, PS3 or Xbox. All worked great. The pj menus by default were already set to English and picture quality is great.

Now all I have to do is wait for my 3D blu-ray discs from Netflix to test on the PS3 and I'll be through most of the basic testing.

My Theater Build
post #273 of 383 Old 06-27-2011, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Wow, that is great and I am happy that it works. Still not available here. I stopped wondering why and have moved on. I am not sure why it is not available here but suspect it is not because they are happy with it or something for use here. I hope it serves you well and look forward to your further observations but at this point there is too much looming for me to wait for this unit. That ship has sailed and I almost feel like it is a thing of principle for me now. Make me wait, and now better options are on the horizon. But that is the tech world and the PJ world. We do what we must. Well, we do what we want might be a better way to phrase it. Acer left a bad taste in my mouth months ago. I hope you enjoy the unit.
post #274 of 383 Old 06-28-2011, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
you need this because you probably already owned the 3dvision, you can buy 3dtv play separately for like 40 dollars and it has its own activator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcritch View Post

It has finally arrived...

(Note: you do have to have an Nvidia emitter plugged into the USB for the 3DTV play software to be activated.) The good thing is, you don't have to pay for the software, apparently a license for 3DTV Play is included with this projector.

post #275 of 383 Old 06-28-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robl45 View Post

you need this because you probably already owned the 3dvision, you can buy 3dtv play separately for like 40 dollars and it has its own activator.

I get it. So if you have the Nvidia 3D vision kit, that is what activates the 3DTV play license. If you do not have the kit, you can purchase the 3DTV Play software and then it in essence "acts like the emitter spoofer." I see...

My Theater Build
post #276 of 383 Old 06-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

thats my understanding, you really have to dig to find it, nvidia isn't exactly forthcoming about it.

really screws projector owners though, the point is that you use your own glasses, but if you had nvidia vision before, and you get a new projector, now you have to buy new glasses, not sure what nvidia was thinking with that.

Quote:

I get it. So if you have the Nvidia 3D vision kit, that is what activates the 3DTV play license. If you do not have the kit, you can purchase the 3DTV Play software and then it in essence "acts like the emitter spoofer." I see...

post #277 of 383 Old 06-28-2011, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

It may be simpler to use the Acer .inf hack to update the Windows display driver into thinking you're using an Acer H5630 projector, which IS 3D Vision compatible. Then you could use your 3D Vision glasses. I did this with an Optoma GT720 since mine was an early model that needed to go in for a firmware upgrade to become 3D Vision capable otherwise.
post #278 of 383 Old 06-28-2011, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
You would still need dlp link glasses for hardware Bluray players/ps3 etc. Too bad they didn't include a VESA port. You could then get a universal emitter and use your nVidia glasses for everything. I hope most HDMI 1.4 projectors will include the VESA port, like the new Optoma 750.
post #279 of 383 Old 06-28-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:

Wow, that is great and I am happy that it works. Still not available here. I stopped wondering why and have moved on. I am not sure why it is not available here but suspect it is not because they are happy with it or something for use here. I hope it serves you well and look forward to your further observations but at this point there is too much looming for me to wait for this unit. That ship has sailed and I almost feel like it is a thing of principle for me now. Make me wait, and now better options are on the horizon. But that is the tech world and the PJ world. We do what we must. Well, we do what we want might be a better way to phrase it. Acer left a bad taste in my mouth months ago. I hope you enjoy the unit.

I'm not sure I follow you, you are waiting for projectors on the horizon becuase you are sick of waiting for this projector... Anyway, I wouldn't say it is 'not available' here, I mean I got one. Sure you have to order it from Europe, but it works fine with our standards once you get it. I have a feeling the reason it is 'not available' here is becuase of some FCC compliance issue or some other sort of red tape.
No, seriously though, I agree. If I had the lesure of a little more time I may have waited for some of the 1.4s comming out. This projector is certainly not the crem del la creme when it comes to 3D. It does the trick for now though.

My Theater Build
post #280 of 383 Old 06-28-2011, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, seriously though, I agree. If I had the lesure of a little more time I may have waited for some of the 1.4s comming out. This projector is certainly not the crem del la creme when it comes to 3D. It does the trick for now though.

Well, don't know if you know but I had purchased a GT720 some time ago and never got the 3d working like it should because I refused to send Nvidia one more dime as I already had DLP link glasses for my RP Sammy. I returned the unit thinking no problem, the 5360BD will be out shortly and I can go 3d from my Panny 3d BD player. Well here we are and no 5360BD. I really did like the handiness of the GT720 what with short throw and built in speakers and suddenly the announcement of the GT750 with vesa connection. Now Optoma is going to put out some 1080p 1.4 3d units. How can I not wait? The Sharp 1700 would be a no brainer except I feel it is overpriced and not very placement flexible.

Now if nothing had changed since returning my GT720, I probably would have bought the regular 5360 and a 3dxl or the like. Not with the new stuff they announced coming out in months. I have a 3d TV that works pretty well and I have watched all my movies so no rush for me.

I am glad you are happy with your unit and see no reason you would not be. I bet it looks that much better on the bigger screen compared to my 61" Sammy. All this still does not deter my overactive mind from wondering why the 5360BD is not available here yet. I am truly stumped as it appears to work fine.
post #281 of 383 Old 06-28-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:

... All this still does not deter my overactive mind from wondering why the 5360BD is not available here yet. I am truly stumped as it appears to work fine.

Hear, hear!

My Theater Build
post #282 of 383 Old 06-30-2011, 03:38 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:

Now all I have to do is wait for my 3D blu-ray discs from Netflix to test on the PS3 and I'll be through most of the basic testing.

Maybe I'm out of the loop ... 3D blu-rays are available from Netflix? Last time I checked, they were only offering 2D versions of the 3D titles.
post #283 of 383 Old 06-30-2011, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I am afraid that you are right. No Netflix 3D. You have to buy your 3D movies. Luckily I have two friends at work with 3D so we share our 3D movies. I bought How to train your dragon and the shrek movies off ebay, and bought a panny br player for Avatar.
post #284 of 383 Old 06-30-2011, 05:51 PM

Liked: 10
Red box offers blu-ray. I think they are just a 1.50 or $2.00 a night.
post #285 of 383 Old 07-01-2011, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post

I am afraid that you are right. No Netflix 3D. You have to buy your 3D movies. Luckily I have two friends at work with 3D so we share our 3D movies. I bought How to train your dragon and the shrek movies off ebay, and bought a panny br player for Avatar.

This isn't 3D?

http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/IMAX...2?trkid=496624

Bummer!

My Theater Build
post #286 of 383 Old 07-01-2011, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Nope, notice no 3D on it. It has the original title in parenthesis (Hubble 3D)
Notice the different covers at amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ble+3d&x=0&y=0
post #287 of 383 Old 07-01-2011, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Redbox offers Bluray not Bluray 3D. It is still a pretty small market now.
post #288 of 383 Old 07-01-2011, 02:33 PM

Liked: 18
I figure Redbox might be the first into the 3D rental market. $3 a night would be fine by me. Beats having to shell out $25-30 for a so-so movie that may be fun to watch once, but not necessarily keep.
post #289 of 383 Old 07-01-2011, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

"Beats having to shell out $25-30 for a so-so movie that may be fun to watch once, but not necessarily keep."
Man, I agree with that. I have bookshelves of movies I watched zero or 1 time. One rack full of HD-DVD's. There are maybe a dozen movies I have got my money worth out of.
post #290 of 383 Old 07-01-2011, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
"Beats having to shell out $25-30 for a so-so movie that may be fun to watch once, but not necessarily keep."
Man, I agree with that. I have bookshelves of movies I watched zero or 1 time. One rack full of HD-DVD's. There are maybe a dozen movies I have got my money worth out of.
Well how many times can you watch a movie until you burn out on it no matter how good? There are some movies that are killer classics but hey, even them. I do not have a huge library for this reason. I have been collecting 3d movies just for the wow factor. Few of them are really good but the effects still gets the company who have not seen good 3d, (yes DLP). I have never had any complaints on my DLP 3d except for one guy who got a headache very quickly. His wife told him to stop whining and watched the whole movie.

Bad 3d is killing 3d. My son went and watched Transformers at the theater in 3d the other day. He said it was good quality and the show was good. Hope this is a good sign. Not sure he knows what to look for because he is young though he has watched 3d on my TV. At least for him the 3d experience at the theater was a good one.
post #291 of 383 Old 07-02-2011, 07:14 AM

Lets get back on topic...

I fired up Games for Windows Live and downloaded Resident Evil 5. Nvidia lists this game as 3D ready, which is their highest rating.

I ran the game, went through the title screen and started a mission... No 3D..!

It turns out apparently with 3DTV Play through the Nvidia drivers, 'load games in 3D by default' is not an option and you have to hit Ctrl-T once in the game to manually turn on the 3D

Once the 3D was active, it looked amazing! The in-game brightness conrol within Resident Evil 5 and with the H5360Bd did have to be cranked all the way up though.

I have been tweeking the depth control with Ctrl-F3 and F4 and have noticed if it is set too high, I get a headache. What percentage are people setting it to out there?

I turned on the 'Advanced' options in the Nvidia drivers and have been trying to change the 'Convergence' settings with Ctrl-F5 and F6 but have had no luck. When I am in-game and do the Ctrl-F6 nothing changes. Are only some games compatible with changing the 'Convergence'?

My Theater Build
post #292 of 383 Old 07-06-2011, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
I have been tweeking the depth control with Ctrl-F3 and F4 and have noticed if it is set too high, I get a headache. What percentage are people setting it to out there?
In a mirror, measure the width between the center of your eyes. Then without glasses, measure the separation width of the most distant object left/right eye images on the screen and keep it within the the width of your eyes and you'll be fine. When you adjust the separation too wide, your eyes are actually turning out to adjust to 3D. Some people can naturally do that without a problem, but not good long term and definitely not good for kids, since their width might not match that of an adult yet. Some IMAX and movies are kept at a reduced depth to avoid conflict will all ages of audiences (Tron comes to mind). This is assuming you are within 16 feet from the screen. If much farther away, the convergence becomes narrower (allows for more separation) as it would looking at objects on a large movie screen sitting 100 feet away for example. Some good info here:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/index.php?opti...rticle&id=6197
post #293 of 383 Old 07-06-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

In a mirror, measure the width between the center of your eyes...

Great post. Thanks!

My Theater Build
post #294 of 383 Old 07-08-2011, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Lets get back on topic...

I fired up Games for Windows Live and downloaded Resident Evil 5. Nvidia lists this game as 3D ready, which is their highest rating.

I ran the game, went through the title screen and started a mission... No 3D..!

It turns out apparently with 3DTV Play through the Nvidia drivers, 'load games in 3D by default' is not an option and you have to hit Ctrl-T once in the game to manually turn on the 3D

Once the 3D was active, it looked amazing! The in-game brightness conrol within Resident Evil 5 and with the H5360Bd did have to be cranked all the way up though.

I turned on the 'Advanced' options in the Nvidia drivers and have been trying to change the 'Convergence' settings with Ctrl-F5 and F6 but have had no luck. When I am in-game and do the Ctrl-F6 nothing changes. Are only some games compatible with changing the 'Convergence'?

I use 40% depth which is pretty good for me. RE5 still had a problem with water reflection in 3D. Try out Just Cause 2 for PC. Perfect 3D and running around in the Panau Island in 3D is just awesome. For some games, the convergence is locked.
post #295 of 383 Old 07-10-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjyap View Post

I use 40% depth which is pretty good for me. RE5 still had a problem with water reflection in 3D. Try out Just Cause 2 for PC. Perfect 3D and running around in the Panau Island in 3D is just awesome. For some games, the convergence is locked.

Yea, I'll have to try Just Cause 2. Always wanted to see through the eyes of a Chez Guivara type. That reminds me, I have to start smoking cigars again...

As for the locked convergence. Found a good thread on the Nvidia forums from a moderator. He says his engineers tell him some of the game developer companies are locking the convergence. He says Nvidia is trying to convince them not to do this. Here is the thread: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s...post&p=1199084

Two of these games are Batman Arkham Asylum and RE5. My opinion is, if you make a game with locked convergence, you shouldn't get the 'Nvidia 3D Vision Ready' rating... Just my opinion.

My Theater Build
post #296 of 383 Old 07-22-2011, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 59
The H5360BD is here! In Japan! It's listed on Amazon.co.jp at 67,509 yen ($858 USD), actually slightly cheaper than the non BD (HDMI 1.4) version.

I've been eager to get one of these cheap but good 3D projectors, and I know the H5360 has been well received. I only wonder about DLP-link glasses, as that would be my only option (PS3, no HTPC). I have no experience with glasses myself, but some here have said that DLP-link glasses hurt contrast. Should this be a reason to wait for something else, or is it just a matter of choosing the right brand of glasses at the right price?
post #297 of 383 Old 07-22-2011, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airion View Post

The H5360BD is here! In Japan! It's listed on Amazon.co.jp at 67,509 yen ($858 USD), actually slightly cheaper than the non BD (HDMI 1.4) version.

I've been eager to get one of these cheap but good 3D projectors, and I know the H5360 has been well received. I only wonder about DLP-link glasses, as that would be my only option (PS3, no HTPC). I have no experience with glasses myself, but some here have said that DLP-link glasses hurt contrast. Should this be a reason to wait for something else, or is it just a matter of choosing the right brand of glasses at the right price?

personally i would wait for the optoma gt750 with vesa port. then you have more options.
post #298 of 383 Old 07-22-2011, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

There is no difference in the glasses visual properties between dlp link and ir. Just how the signal gets there.
post #299 of 383 Old 07-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 59
I really only need one pair of glasses (my wife doesn't like 3D), so I don't really need options so much as I need just one good option.
post #300 of 383 Old 07-25-2011, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There is no difference in the glasses visual properties between dlp link and ir. Just how the signal gets there.

there is a difference, DLP are almost unanomously agreed to screw up the colors while IR are much better about that. the only dlp glasses I've seen rated decently are the rediculously expensive ones from crystal eyes or clear eyes or whatever it is.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Acer H5360 3d Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page